MQQSE 02-Apr-20
Dale06 02-Apr-20
Boris 02-Apr-20
Ucsdryder 07-Apr-20
JRABQ 07-Apr-20
Medicinemann 07-Apr-20
Ucsdryder 07-Apr-20
26-Mar-20
The wife and I where on I-90 between Pa. and Oh. Tuesday an saw 5 road kill turkeys. Looks like its going to be a banner year, again.

26-Mar-20
Were they all close to Albion (all in one flock), or spread out over 10-20 miles?

26-Mar-20
Yep, that time of year. I travel interstate 70 from PA to WV a good bit for work and see a bunch every year around this time.

About 15 years ago I was riding an old Harley and had a big hen glide across the road in front of me. If I hadn't of ducked down at the last second I'm certain she would've hit me and I'm sure that would've gotten ugly. A real underwear changing moment for sure!

26-Mar-20
What is it they like about roads in the spring. One spring I picked up 3 rio chicks and raised them with my chickens. They were neat as could be but the next April at the crack of dawn they would b line straight to the highway. After 3 days they had all been run over.

26-Mar-20
Attracted to the road salt, possibly?? ;-)

26-Mar-20
Cary some clippers with you and harvest a dozen nice feathers.

26-Mar-20
No doubt looking for grit for their gizzards .

26-Mar-20
They are only that dumb when not being hunted.

26-Mar-20
Between rt.6n in Pa. and rt. 7 in Oh.

31-Mar-20
I’m also wondering if it is salt or minerals they’re after. I know they also need grit, but I would think they can get that anywhere. Is there still much snow on the ground in the area, possibly causing them to go after the new green growth along the roads? We see an increase in road killed deer here in late winter as they are frequently grazing along the right of way.

I guess have only seen a couple dozen road killed turkeys in my 35+ years of driving, and I never remember seeing any multiples. They have all been singles.

31-Mar-20
I see now where you said they were spread out.

01-Apr-20
The turkeys that get hit this time of year are probably “traveling” turkeys. This is the time of the year the winter flocks break up and it also coincides with turkey rut, as someone mentioned at the top. All this means is that they are roaming to either find a nesting site or to find love. During that process there are many interstate highways in their way. Obviously they were never taught to look both ways!!

02-Apr-20
Responded to a moose/car collision. Driver didn’t want it so I took it. Second one for our department this year plus a deer.

02-Apr-20
We did not get much snow this year. We are about 3 feet short of normal.

02-Apr-20
Boris, not up here, snowing hard right now with a stiff wind. Over 3 feet in my sugar orchard. Sap ran good yesterday for the first time.

02-Apr-20
Once the flocks break up and the birds disperse to start nesting we begin seeing the road kills much more here in rural MO. I almost hit a hen yesterday.

02-Apr-20
I think they are just traveling looking for love and nesting sites.

02-Apr-20
Some areas east of me got lake effect snow. Even that was kind of a bust. Pa./NY line got more. We where looking at getting hit hard, due to the lake not freezing over. We could still get hit. All it needs to happen is a strong Alberta clipper come down and we are toast. It could drop 4-6 feet in 36 hours, no problem. @ Christmas's ago, in 36 hours, it dropped 5 feet. Starting this weekend, the temps. are to be in the mid 50's to low 60's.

07-Apr-20

Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
My buddy got one today!
Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
My buddy got one today!

07-Apr-20

07-Apr-20
Ucsdryder, Wow! Glad that the grille caught it, instead of bouncing up into the windshield....If he's been going about 3 mph faster, maybe it would have been completely skinned....all he have needed was the freezer paper!

07-Apr-20
That was on e470. So I assume he was doing 80+. He said it walked right in front of him and he saw a pile of feathers.

• Sitka Gear