Brotsky 08-Apr-20
midwest 08-Apr-20
lewis 08-Apr-20
Paul@thefort 08-Apr-20
Paul@thefort 12-Apr-20
BOWNBIRDHNTR 14-Apr-20
27-Mar-20

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
On my recent trip to Nebraska, These three toms, what do they have in common? The winning answer gets a large bag of Dot"s.
On my recent trip to Nebraska, These three toms, what do they have in common? The winning answer gets a large bag of Dot"s.

27-Mar-20
Did they all get to ride home in your cooler?

27-Mar-20
They all got away?

27-Mar-20
They all lost their lives??

27-Mar-20
Has that bag been opened with one missing? If so, they are old and stale so I am not playing..........Bob

27-Mar-20
They are all looking for a hot hen?

27-Mar-20
Each one stole an arrow?

27-Mar-20
Duhhh, You got a picture of all three!

27-Mar-20
^^^^ give that man some pretzels nailed it.

27-Mar-20
They’re all turkeys!

27-Mar-20
They all have feathers

27-Mar-20
They’re all decoys

27-Mar-20
You baited them in with Dot's then arrowed them with a spitfire! Way to go you killing machine! 17 Geese now 3 turkeys yahoo!!!!

28-Mar-20
They are all Merriam's?

28-Mar-20
Bugle up-

Those are Rio's but there's a chance they may have a little bit of Merriam in em.

28-Mar-20
They are all named ‘Tom’

You can drop the Dots off when the Stay at Home order is lifted. :)

28-Mar-20
Additional information, Clue 1. All three toms were being hunted on public land SWA.

28-Mar-20
Ah,Paul, that makes it too easy so not fair for me to answer. Kinda like my Dad taught me not right to bet on a sure thing.

28-Mar-20
They all took some lead?

Matt

28-Mar-20
They all got chased out by another hunter before you got a shot?

28-Mar-20
Matt, I know of no BH that is made of "lead".

28-Mar-20
Clue 2. I have bow hunted this Nebraska SWA for 20 years and have killed more that 35 turkeys there. No reason why this season should be different!

28-Mar-20
They all jumped the decoy

28-Mar-20
Paul, that was tongue-in-cheek. I knew you are bow hunting. Shotgun season isn't even open yet in Nebraska, correct?

Has anyone got the correct answer, yet?

Matt

28-Mar-20
You got them all with your recurve bow!!

28-Mar-20
They are all still alive.

28-Mar-20
got them with your recurve bow and in your ghillie suit.

28-Mar-20
They all came in quiet. EDIT....I didn't see that Bloodtrail already guessed this...….so I will revise my guess, and say that they were all banded.

28-Mar-20

When I first see him coming after flying the ditch
When I first see him coming after flying the ditch
just on the other side of the tree 30 yards away, he has not seen the decoys yet
just on the other side of the tree 30 yards away, he has not seen the decoys yet
he sees the jake/hen set up and is mad as hell, yea, kick butt mad.
he sees the jake/hen set up and is mad as hell, yea, kick butt mad.
I am using my older T-2 blind and not a lot of room to maneuver in
I am using my older T-2 blind and not a lot of room to maneuver in
Clue 3. The first day of the Nebraska season, this tom shows up at 5 pm. I had heard him traveling up and down a nearby water ditch 70 yards away, and with some seductive calling, he flies over and is headed my way.

28-Mar-20

I like this one man bind as it is lightweight but it does have some drawbacks. I made a center shot window for better shoot and tracking outside.
I like this one man bind as it is lightweight but it does have some drawbacks. I made a center shot window for better shoot and tracking outside.
so now this tom is passing right to left, out front, and within 15 yards, in seconds he will be at the jake decoy. I put the camera down and try to stop him with a hen yelp, bow in hand.
so now this tom is passing right to left, out front, and within 15 yards, in seconds he will be at the jake decoy. I put the camera down and try to stop him with a hen yelp, bow in hand.

28-Mar-20
I had positioned myself to shoot out of the right window but he did not stop so that opportunity was gone. He was now at the jake/hen and was ready to attack the jake. I shifted slightly in the blind to shoot out of the left portal but was too close to the wall. So when I tried to shift the bow and release, the top cam hit the roof of the blind sending the arrow off track. I did not know it had happened as I heard a loud wack and expected to see the tom take a tumble but instead saw a large cloud of feathers as the arrow skimmed the bird, and the tom just walked away. WHAT! A rookie mistake for sure. Hard to believe I still get excited doing this stuff.

28-Mar-20
None big enough to shoot?

28-Mar-20
They all tried to breed with your decoy

28-Mar-20
Thanks Paul for getting our thoughts in a good place... looking forward to the rest of the story!

28-Mar-20
They were all hybrids

28-Mar-20
Paul, that's why we do it for the adreline rush. Thanks for posting!

28-Mar-20
Paul, I think I know the answer. You borrowed Jaq's ebike so that you could silently get in on them for a close shot on each of them. If I win, I will pass on the prize......Bob

28-Mar-20
They are all the same bird?

28-Mar-20
If badbull wins I’ll take his Dot’s!!! All three birds made your heart rate increase?

28-Mar-20
Paul, you missed all 3?

28-Mar-20
3 swings 3 misses

28-Mar-20

young tom shows up
young tom shows up
stays behind this tree and peeking out off and on for two hours
stays behind this tree and peeking out off and on for two hours
What is interesting and just prior to this tom showing up at 5 pm, this young tom and a hen came by around 1 pm but out of range. THe hen left but this tom stayed around for over two hours, and sort of hid behind a tree 60 yards away, but would peek around when I called but never came near. Oh, make sure you have enough to snack on.

28-Mar-20

here he comes and closing
here he comes and closing
coming closer, beard swinging. I put the camera down and pick up the bow making sure I have room to move. he is at the decoy. I am at full draw
coming closer, beard swinging. I put the camera down and pick up the bow making sure I have room to move. he is at the decoy. I am at full draw
So at dark I head back to the truck to camp in the truck bed. 5 am will come early but I am only 1/4 mile to the blind. I left the blind and decoys there to be ready at first light and at first light I am back in the blind ready to rock and roll. I hear gobbles to the north and south of my position. I feel good about this day, partly cloudy and warm in the 60s. Not much action for the next couple of hours and no nearby gobbles but at 9:30 I see movement and see a tom and hen working their way through the timber bottom. And then more movement, three jakes and hen following 50 yards behind. I give out a hen cackle to get the mature tom's attention. He looks in my direction, sees the red head of the jake decoy and starts in my direction.

28-Mar-20
So I am at full draw as the tom approaches the jake decoy 15 yards away. The bird is slightly quartering to me but I can make that shot as I have in the past. Arrow on its way; WACK!

28-Mar-20
Congrats Paul on another Tom hitting the dirt!

28-Mar-20

tom walking away with my PRIDE in tow!
tom walking away with my PRIDE in tow!
Craig, That is what I thought also. A cloud of feathers and the tom just stood there. I waited for it to fall over but NO, he just walked away wondering that, that jake had a mighty left hook but did no damage. Setting in the blind in disbelief and before I could mount another arrow, that hunt was over. WHAT!

28-Mar-20
Dang it, Paul....all those goose kills should have had you in prime form!

28-Mar-20
Nick, that is what I thought. Well, the day is not over yet so stay tuned.

28-Mar-20
You clip three turkeys in one day and they walked off. That is what they have in common?

28-Mar-20

So while I was waiting around after the mature tom left, the three jakes and hens stayed in the area, ie, 50 yards away but behind some blowdowns. ANd if one gave me the chance, I would send an arrow that way, jake or no jake. I was frustrated! I would wait until 11 am, gather up and check out another area 1/2 mile away. 11 am. came and I headed back to the truck camp. Yep, still shaking my head in shame.

28-Mar-20
By noon I had moved to the new location, parked and then just hiked through two grown up adjacent fields to see what type of food plots were where I wanted to set up. I had killed my first Nebraska tom in this field years prior. . I hoped for cut wheat stubble or winter wheat. As I approached the field and shelterbelt and looked down over the hill, I see a strutting tom with 8 hens within a 100 yards. I quickly backed out and headed back to the truck to gear up.

28-Mar-20

an hour later, I was ready to go but instead of going directly where I had seen the turkeys, I circled around and came in from the other end of the field, to wait and watch.
an hour later, I was ready to go but instead of going directly where I had seen the turkeys, I circled around and came in from the other end of the field, to wait and watch.

28-Mar-20

15 minutes the flock came back into the stubble field and ended up across from me at 100 yards. I should have had the HeadsUP decoy and I do believe I could have gone after the tom.
15 minutes the flock came back into the stubble field and ended up across from me at 100 yards. I should have had the HeadsUP decoy and I do believe I could have gone after the tom.

28-Mar-20
This flock was taking its time in the field but eventually, they moved back to the other end where I had first seen them. Again they milled around, so I slowly walked out into the edge of the field to coax them away, which they did, and over the bank to the creek bottom below. Good now I can set up the blind at that end as I did within the next 30 minutes. Now it was 2pm. The wait was on. I twice, hen cackled every 15 minutes just to let any tom in the area know a hen was around. At 3:30 a loud gobble just over the bank and within 100 yards nearly blew my "socks off". That is so cool. And then at 4 pm, another gobble but farther off. I called back. So now it is 5 pm, and I have not heard any turkey sounds for the past hour. I looked out the front windows, and both sides, and to the back. Nothing. THEN, OUT OF THE WOOD COMES THE HENS WITH THE MATURE TOM IN TOW 60 YARDS AWAY. HE SEES THE JAKE STANDING OVER THE HEN DECOY AND HE HEADS THIS WAY. HOLLY SHIT, HERE HE COMES IN FULL STRUT, A BIG MATURE TOM AND HE IS GOING TO KICK BUTT. NO TIME FOR PICTURES, GET READY, MOVE BACK INTO THE BLIND, THE TOM LOOKS MAD, HE AS AT THE DECOY AND GIVES IT A BUMP, BOW IN HAND, WAITING FOR A BROADSIDE SHOT, I DRAW BACK, PICK A SPOT, PRESS THE REALISE, ARROW IS OFF THE REST, WACK! OH BOY WHEN IT ALL COMES TOGETHER LIKE THIS!

28-Mar-20

29-Mar-20
paul if i get 1tenth the action you do id be happy! Great stories!

29-Mar-20
WAIT A MINUTE, that WACK just did not sound right. The feather covered arrow was sticking in the ground behind the tom BUT the tom was not flopping around; he was just standing there for a second before he ran back in the direction he had come. WHAT X10, what, what, what, what had just happened??????????? Well not a clean miss but a miss is a miss is a BIG MISS. OH YEA, and the second time today. WHAT, the hell is happening? Three mature toms at 15 yards and none in the bag!

I thought back to the 17 geese I killed with the bow in January. Most of those shot were 15-25 yards and a few farther. I also thought back over the years about the 45 turkeys I have bow killed. Sure I have missed a couple but 2 toms in one day, and 3 missed toms in two days. It was hard to rap my mind around the past two days.

I left my equipment in the blind that evening and trudged back to the truck only to return the next morning and try again. That next morning brought no action but I did see the 8 hens from the evening before and did hear a couple of gobbles in the distance. While packing up, I decided to shoot a couple of arrow into a nearby dirt bank. Guess what? The arrow were impacting 3 inches to the right!

So here is how I think was the reason. The week before turkey season I was shooting in the side yards and trying out some new arrow with a stiffer spine, heavier weight, to use for elk hunting. I remember adjusting the bow sight to accommodate the new arrows but later decided to use the older arrows for the turkey hunt. I did not re adjust the sight! And me not adjusting the sight back to where it was originally, was the main reason I was only getting turkey feathers. Today, I hung a black cord vertical on the target and adjusted the sight until I was splitting the cord. Yep, 3 inches off. Three inches might not be a lot when hunting elk or moose or even a dinosaur but a turkey!

I am heading back to turkey hunt on Tuesday with a renewed ray of hope. my best, Paul

OH------ PS, who won the bag of DOT's. If you think you did, let me know :)

29-Mar-20
Great hunt nonetheless Paul!

29-Mar-20
Definitely been there Paul. Hang in there!

29-Mar-20
We’ve all been there Paul. I rarely hunt turkeys with a bow, but Bowhunt enough other critters to know how emotional that type of situation can be. Its the little things that add up to the most important results. I’m sure now that you’ve got a handle on it, it will never happen again. Go get um!

29-Mar-20
It happens! Heck I missed the same bird three times in a row and I have it on video to remind me the rest of my life...have fun and keep at'm bud!

29-Mar-20
This is why I never change a deadly setup, especially without doing the necessary tuning.

Sorry, but this thread disappoints me.

Matt

30-Mar-20
I love, and hate, turkey hunting :^)

Looking forward to chapter 2. I have a few "one that got away" stories when it comes to turkeys and screwing up one way or another. By a "few" I mean a few dozen :^)

30-Mar-20
Lots of action!

Dead turkey walking no doubt. Thanks for your honesty Paul. GL!

30-Mar-20
Im just glad you're out there hunting Paul! Something is still right with this world! Thanks for the tale, sorry bout the missing. I feel bad for the next Tom strolling in. Dead bird walking!!

30-Mar-20
Yep, we've all been there! This next week should be prime hunting, great weather. It'll happen!

30-Mar-20
I have no doubt you’ll fill your tag. Good luck Paul

30-Mar-20
Wow, Paul is human!! It cN happen to anybody. Lol. Good luck when you go back out.

30-Mar-20
It can be pretty frustrating when you "hit" one only to find out the only thing you killed were a couple of feathers...……………………..ask me how I know! ;-)

30-Mar-20

12 noon, Ok, I was planning of leaving tonight in the dark and then driving to the spot by midnight, but I am ready to go now, SO HERE WE GO! Thanks all for the encouragement and I do believe I have your "good luck" on my side. Good things to come and maybe a great end to this story. my best, Paul

30-Mar-20
Safe travels look forward to the success pics tomorrow!

30-Mar-20
Go get ‘er done Paul. No more misses, just dead turkeys!

30-Mar-20
Paul, it might make you feel a little better about your recent turkey experience if you read my post on the current "Shortest Shot " thread. I feel your pain but you are due for some good luck at this point..........Bob

30-Mar-20
Good luck Paul! Great story so far! The best part about missing turkeys is that you get to keep turkey hunting. That's what I always tell Kia!

30-Mar-20
Good luck Paul!

30-Mar-20
Godspeed, Paul !

Looking forward to the continued adventure...

30-Mar-20
Glad you bought your tag when you did Paul, no non-resident tags for Nebraska showing now!! waited to buy mine to see what was going to happen. planning on heading out tomorrow...…..not now!! fyi

30-Mar-20
I heard they might and bought mine last Friday. I cancelled this last weekend but still bought one as wondered if this would happen and can drive over in May. Can you still hunt even if HAVE a tag?

30-Mar-20
I heard they might and bought mine last Friday. I cancelled this last weekend but still bought one as wondered if this would happen and can drive over in May. Can you still hunt even if HAVE a tag?

30-Mar-20
I just logged in to buy a couple. No go. Is there an official word on this? I havent found it yet.

30-Mar-20

Hawkeye's Link
All i could find so far

30-Mar-20
I have no doubt you will get it done Paul!

30-Mar-20
Good luck Paul, kill a bag of dot's and your luck should change!

30-Mar-20
Paul, you may have "fowled out" in the last inning, but there is absolutely no doubt you'll hammer a home run in this one. We've all just come to expect it!!

Dead Bird Gobbling!!

31-Mar-20
Good luck ?? Paul stick a good one Lewis

31-Mar-20
Paul don't post until you get home. You can claim plausible deniability. They closed the season to out of staters!

01-Apr-20
No update from Paul? I wonder if he got stopped at the border...……………………………. ;-)

01-Apr-20
Nebraska didn’t close turkey season to out of staters.

They just stopped selling licenses to NR. If you had a tag you can continue to hunt. As long as you’re not sick

01-Apr-20
He was arrested by the Nebraska border patrol. He is being held in detention.

01-Apr-20
Yeah I was wondering about the state guideline to self quarantine for 14 days in Nebraska if you came from Colorado. How does that affect things?

01-Apr-20
"Sorry honey, the State Trooper said I gotta stay in Nebraska for the next 14 days!" ;-)

02-Apr-20
OK, OK, I leave last Tuesday for my next round trying to kill a Nebraska tom turkey. When I get to the Nebraska line, there were Nebraska Highway Patrol cars stationed there, interviewing incoming traffic. The line had a few cars and most are turned around for the return trip back to Colorado. I have no idea for the reasons except for a ban per the Corona 19 virus, so I pull up to this big Highway Patrol trooper. He has a AK47 in hand and I know at least a 10 MM sidearm on his hip. THis guy is big and tall and sort of mean looking but has a friendly smiled on his face.

He looks at my license plates and sees I am from Colorado. I am in trouble I believe. He walks up to the window but maintains the social distance of 6 feet. He states " I see you are from Colorado, what is your business in Nebraska?" Well I tell him the whole story of the three missed tom turkeys the week before and that I just have to redeem myself. To my surprise a big smile come to his face and he states, " I love to bow hunt turkeys". He looks around and then he yells at the other trooper at the gate to let me through because he states " this guy is on a very special mission". Then he says, " you will keep the maximum social distancing won' t you?. "Yes sir" I stated. The gate opened and I was heading for the turkey woods. Man, am I glad I love to turkey hunt!

02-Apr-20

Outthere's embedded Photo
So many unanswered questions.
Outthere's embedded Photo
So many unanswered questions.

02-Apr-20
Paul After the other thread did they leave any turkeys for you to Hunt? :)

02-Apr-20
Awesome Paul! Got a kick out of that as I sit on my deck with a glass of Smoking Loon. You are one smooth dude! And seem to have a gold horseshoe you know where!! Waiting for you next report!

02-Apr-20
Anybody else NOT surprised that Paul would get THE State Trooper that bowhunts turkeys? ;-)

Glad to hear you were able to sweet talk your way back into Nebraska, Paul! Stay safe and make those turkeys pay! : )

02-Apr-20
So on my way over to the honey hole, I had to check out another spot were I had killed a couple of toms. THis place is small and get some pressure from the locals, mostly just driving the roads in hope to see one that they can shotgun. I seem to know where the turkeys might be so when I arrive to the overlook and start scanning the area with the 10X binoculars, see movement far off on the hillside and sure enough, two toms and 7 hens working along. No time for the blind and decoys so I grab up the Heads Up decoys, one on the bow and the other on on a stake and head in that direction. I make it to the treeline, sneak through and see the tom 100 yards away on the top of the hill. I move forward displaying the decoys, while crawling on my knees. I get closer, the tom sees me and moves down the hill and we meet at 50 yards. Just when I think he will come closer, two hens behind him, start to yelp. Well he was a lover and not a fighter so he turns around and vanishes over the hill. I head back to the truck as I now know I will not be at the honey hole until after dark.

02-Apr-20
I set up the truck camp in the same place as last week and planned on being down in the woods prior to first light. The next morning as I was setting up in the dark a tom lets out a few weak gobbles. Sounded like a jake. A couple of hens yelp and then later they fly down 80 yards away and leave the area in the opposite direction. My routine is to double hen cackle every 15 minutes and at 9:15 I get a reply. Ten minutes later, a jake comes by the decoys, sees the tom/jake decoy and moves along without stopping. I was tempted.

At noon I take a break, walk the 1/2 mile to the other spot to check it out. I decide to hunt this place tomorrow and would set up the blind and place out the decoys this evening. I heard nothing back at the first spot and left in the dark and then drove to the other field where I camped nearby.

I am crossing the field in the early am when I see a light flashing on the other side of the field. Who ever it was, they did not know I was already set up so I continued to the blind and would just let things play out as they might. Maybe they were in the best place.

I was in the blind for only 10 minutes when at least 3 toms started to gobble 100 yards away and on my side of the field/woods. It was light when 4 toms and 5 hens flew from their roost tree and landed within 85 yards. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Two of the hens looked in my direction and headed by way. Maybe a tom would follow?

02-Apr-20

on the ground and within 85 yards
on the ground and within 85 yards
hens are looking and now coming closer
hens are looking and now coming closer

02-Apr-20

ok girls , where are you going?
ok girls , where are you going?
we're coming too, lets race over there and check this guy out!
we're coming too, lets race over there and check this guy out!

02-Apr-20
Come onnnnnnn

02-Apr-20
So now the two hens have been at the decoys for a minute or two and one toms break away and is coming in fast. He is at the decoy;circles it in full strut. I wait for him to collapse his feather so I can see his normal body. Right there, broadside at 14 yards. I am at full draw. I think back to last week when I missed three tom at this range. I release the arrow!

02-Apr-20

I see the arrow sticking in the ground as the tom races off, Oh NO! not again?
I see the arrow sticking in the ground as the tom races off, Oh NO! not again?
But wait! he just tipped over. A good hit :)
But wait! he just tipped over. A good hit :)
I stay in the blind as the hen checks him out ( NOT MY PICTURE)
I stay in the blind as the hen checks him out ( NOT MY PICTURE)
I stay in the blind as the hen checks him out
I stay in the blind as the hen checks him out

02-Apr-20

The hens head back without their suitor
The hens head back without their suitor
my blind and decoy setup. Notice the string from the jake's neck, under the log and back to the blind. Allows great decoy motion.
my blind and decoy setup. Notice the string from the jake's neck, under the log and back to the blind. Allows great decoy motion.
REDEMPTION AT LAST. THIS YOUNG TOM WAS AS CLOSE TO A RIO AS i HAVE SHOT IN NEBRASKA. MOST ARE RIO/MERRIAM CROSS WITH MORE WHITE ON TAIL AND RUMP. END OF THIS STORY. --OH WAIT THERE IS MORE
REDEMPTION AT LAST. THIS YOUNG TOM WAS AS CLOSE TO A RIO AS i HAVE SHOT IN NEBRASKA. MOST ARE RIO/MERRIAM CROSS WITH MORE WHITE ON TAIL AND RUMP. END OF THIS STORY. --OH WAIT THERE IS MORE

02-Apr-20
Congrats Paul! I knew you would come through!

02-Apr-20
Woot!

02-Apr-20
Congrats Paul!

02-Apr-20
Say it ain't so! Question: When you truck camp on these properties do you need a permit or just pull off the road and camp?

02-Apr-20
OH WAIT THERE IS MORE. So what about the other guys in the blind across the field. I was cleaning the bird when they walked up with a big smile on their faces and a hand shake for my success. We introduced ourselves, and then the older one said, "Paul, I hunted turkeys with you one day in Missouri 22 years ago" WHAT!. Jeff then reminded me that he owned, (still does) an archery store and that I had stopped in to chat and than evening he ended up cooking my and two other turkeys in his turkey deep fryer for a small gathering. The next day, we both went turkey hunting together, and using the same T-2 blind that I still use today. SMALL WORLD and what is the chance that one would meet a person ( that you only knew for two days) 22 years later in an isolated field in Nebraska, one coming from Missouri and one from Colorado. That reminded me of a similar meeting I had with Dr. Don Thomas, co editor of Traditional Bowhunter magazine. He was living in Montana. Don had been the guest speaker at the Colorado Traditional Bowhunters Society 4 years before we met on an isolated hillside, six miles north of the Mexican border. I was deer hunting and he and wife were quail hunting and yep, we just ran into each other. During our chat, Don stated this, "good men with similar interests, meet in strange and beautiful places. A-men to that. WE have all been there. my best, Paul

02-Apr-20
Mike, some Nebraska SWA allow camping only at designated areas, some others, allow one to camp where one might. When I deer hunt this SWA, I take my popup. I only truck camp when turkey hunting as it allows me to be more flexible and also, the dirt road this time of year can be very bad after a rainstorm, ie, not passable or difficult to maneuver a camper It pays to check the regulations for each SWA. No permit to just pull off, if not a campground. Paul

02-Apr-20
Never doubted you for a moment, Paul :^D

02-Apr-20
Nice turkey, Congrats!

02-Apr-20
Nice work Paul! Great stories and photos as well. So awesome that the thrill of the hunt is so powerful inside of you! Thanks for sharing!

02-Apr-20
Congrats!

03-Apr-20
Redemption!! Way to go, Paul!

03-Apr-20
Nice Paul!

03-Apr-20
I enjoyed you taking us on another one of your adventures! Thanks

03-Apr-20
I was one of the lucky Nonresidents who purchased two Nebraska turkey licenses in time. I have only filled one of them. One to go and in the very near future. Thanks, for following along. my best, Paul

03-Apr-20
I knew you would get it done Paul!

03-Apr-20
Way to go Paul another smile while at work! You haven't tripped any with your pull cord?

03-Apr-20
Paul, You got him. Sounds like the most lucky part was getting the tag and crossing the border. Congrats for another great job.....Bob

03-Apr-20
Nice job Paul..way to hang in there...congrats brother

03-Apr-20
I knew those gobblers were in trouble...……………………………….. : )

Good job, Paul! ANd it IS interesting how the Good Lord puts people in our path at certain times! ;-)

03-Apr-20
2 thumbs up Paul............

03-Apr-20
Awesome Paul! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your hunt.

03-Apr-20
Congrats, Paul! Where did you hit it?

03-Apr-20
Congrats Paul reading your journey in print made for a great beginning to my day.We open in Tennessee in the morning guess where I will be.Thanks for sharing.Lewis

03-Apr-20

Nick, I have used these NAP Shockwave Mec BH for both turkeys and geese for many years
Nick, I have used these NAP Shockwave Mec BH for both turkeys and geese for many years
but I added these Mec BH this year to see if they work and this is the BH that did the deed
but I added these Mec BH this year to see if they work and this is the BH that did the deed
the BH entered just below the beard, traveled full length of the gut cavity and exited through the hip. I waited for the tom to go out of full strut before I shot, so I could see his body dimensions
the BH entered just below the beard, traveled full length of the gut cavity and exited through the hip. I waited for the tom to go out of full strut before I shot, so I could see his body dimensions
pic from another hunt. Without feathers, the target is smaller and can lead to a miss :) Sometime hard to pick a spot when faced with a tom at 15 yards, and when they have all of their clothes on.
pic from another hunt. Without feathers, the target is smaller and can lead to a miss :) Sometime hard to pick a spot when faced with a tom at 15 yards, and when they have all of their clothes on.

03-Apr-20
AMAZING how small they look without the feathers!

03-Apr-20
Another great story Paul!

03-Apr-20
Paul as usual you don’t disappoint. I’m in agreement with your choice of BH. I’ve used NAP Spitfires fore years on all size of critters.

03-Apr-20
Perfect shot, Paul!

03-Apr-20
Thanks for the pics. Congrats

07-Apr-20

So the hunt to fill my second Nebraska turkey tag continues. Instead of starting another post or even a What Part 2, I will just add on to this one.

Headed for a new and different area, the Panhandle of Nebraska. This might be the hardest place to kill a turkey as they are hard to pattern, do not seem to decoy as well, they travel a lot in canyon lands and wide open pastures and finding the right place to set up and the right time can be a challenge.

07-Apr-20

Cutting through Wyoming to Nebraska, I almost ran over a flock of early morning turkeys in the road. These two toms were just off the road. Road Kills? Not.
Cutting through Wyoming to Nebraska, I almost ran over a flock of early morning turkeys in the road. These two toms were just off the road. Road Kills? Not.

07-Apr-20

At my overlook, I see this flock over two miles away. Hard to hunt? you bet. I get ready and hike in the mile and 1/2 to the back of the canyons where turkeys seem to travel
At my overlook, I see this flock over two miles away. Hard to hunt? you bet. I get ready and hike in the mile and 1/2 to the back of the canyons where turkeys seem to travel
I carve out a blind and set up under the nearby cedar tree, decoys out 15 yards. The flock I saw earlier ,. way off to the far upper right, out on the flats.
I carve out a blind and set up under the nearby cedar tree, decoys out 15 yards. The flock I saw earlier ,. way off to the far upper right, out on the flats.
I carve out a blind...........................
I carve out a blind...........................
and settle in. I hen yelp every 15 minutes for the next two hours without any action. I ate two PBJ sandwiches , an apple with a honey and oats bar. (tastes like an apple pie, well sort of.
and settle in. I hen yelp every 15 minutes for the next two hours without any action. I ate two PBJ sandwiches , an apple with a honey and oats bar. (tastes like an apple pie, well sort of.

07-Apr-20

I hear a hen yelp. I call and get an answer but no tom gobble. They are 80 yards to my left along a deep cut., feeding along.
I hear a hen yelp. I call and get an answer but no tom gobble. They are 80 yards to my left along a deep cut., feeding along.
and then this guy pops out without making a sound.
and then this guy pops out without making a sound.
and leads the hen away and up the hill. Lover and not a fighter.
and leads the hen away and up the hill. Lover and not a fighter.

07-Apr-20
You are my hero Paul.

07-Apr-20

later I get out of the blind and position myself on an adjacent hill, I see movement below----------NOT TURKEYS
later I get out of the blind and position myself on an adjacent hill, I see movement below----------NOT TURKEYS
Bighorn Sheep were introduced into the Bluff area years back and they seem to be going fine. There is a sheep draw in Nebraska but you have to be VERY lucky to get one.
Bighorn Sheep were introduced into the Bluff area years back and they seem to be going fine. There is a sheep draw in Nebraska but you have to be VERY lucky to get one.
the sun set is sliding off the top of the bluffs, I am outside of the Cedar tree blind packing up. I hear a hen yelp coming down through the trees. Maybe a tom following!
the sun set is sliding off the top of the bluffs, I am outside of the Cedar tree blind packing up. I hear a hen yelp coming down through the trees. Maybe a tom following!
I had my HeadsUp decoy along so I got ready and moved out into the center of the field. The hen came near but no tom in tow. I hiked back to the truck in the dark, Oh well!
I had my HeadsUp decoy along so I got ready and moved out into the center of the field. The hen came near but no tom in tow. I hiked back to the truck in the dark, Oh well!

07-Apr-20
So I drive 30 miles east to another spot, drive down a two rut road and set up the blind in the dark. I have killed a few toms here in the past but arriving for the first time this season, I have no knowledge of any number of turkeys in the area. The late snow a few weeks back might have slowed their migration into the area. Only the morning will tell.

07-Apr-20
Good luck Paul!

07-Apr-20
Love that area, get-r-dun bud!

07-Apr-20

the view from the blind is "nice'!
the view from the blind is "nice'!
I killed a good tom at this location a few years back.
I killed a good tom at this location a few years back.
but not this morning. I hear crows, pheasants, meadowlarks, but no gobbles or hen yelps. I stay two more hours and head back to the truck, carrying the blind, bow, etc.
but not this morning. I hear crows, pheasants, meadowlarks, but no gobbles or hen yelps. I stay two more hours and head back to the truck, carrying the blind, bow, etc.
I truck camp and park a mile away and early, in the dark make the trip to the blind with high hopes I will hear a gobble. The sun breaks over the bluffs.

08-Apr-20
10am, back at the truck packing up and I hear a gobble in the opposite direction. Ok, I will check it out. I hike the road in the opposite direction for 1/2 mile, and hear more gobbles but there are heading away and on private property. I scan with the binoculars but can not see any turkeys, They are over the hill and heading for the bluffs. I set on a hill for another hour but hear nothing. Now noon. What to do?? Ok, I will head East and back to where I have had good action at the Honey Hole, but it is a 5 hour drive. Go for it!

So I get 30 miles down the road, heading east and I get a call from my friend who is also hunting in the area. I tell him of my situation. He states," come over here, I have heard a ton of turkeys and will meet you at the trailer at noon. I turned around and headed back to his base. We meet and he had to leave but he said that when he was heading out this morning, within 1/4 mile and in those trees, he heard gobbles. So within an hour I was heading that way, crossed the fence, headed for the tree lined canyons, looking for a flat opening to set up. I was now 2:30 pm and the waiting game was on. And wait I did, and I waited some more, and then some more. Hearing nothing, I walked the ridge hen yelping as I more on. Again, nothing and more nothing. Almost sundown and fly up time. NOTHING!. We have all been there and we all have heard this, " you should have been here this morning or should have been here yesterday".

I was tired, worn out, so I headed home to hunt but another day. Another day, Yep, next week for sure and back to the Honey Hole. Social Distancing for sure :). I am sure there will be more to this story to come. my best, Paul

08-Apr-20
We’ll certainly be looking forward to your next updates. They never seem to disappoint, Paul! Can’t wait till Monday gets here at home. Opening day in Iowa...finally!

Stay safe on your travels, Paul!

08-Apr-20
Troy, I know you are excited to get out. A just checked the western Nebraska weather for next week. Cold front coming through on Sunday and highs in the 40s. Like you, regardless, I have a turkey tag to fill. I could turn it in for a refund! NOT! I also received a notice from the Nebraska Game and Fish and there is NO camping on any of the State Parks or State Game Units, yea, not even truck camping as I do. I will just find a piece of private property and sleep overnight and then travel a short distance ( could be a few feet or a mile, to hunt just as long as it is off the Management property. Crazy times for sure.

Scoot and others. Thanks for the kind remarks. my best, Paul

08-Apr-20
Love the updates Paul. Good luck!

08-Apr-20
Well done as always Paul! Looking forward to the rest of the story. I can't wait to get back out on Friday, in desperate need of a mental health day here.

08-Apr-20
That NW part of Nebraska sure is pretty. I love driving through there.

08-Apr-20
Come on Paul I’ve got my popcorn Lewis

08-Apr-20
lewis, I will head back this coming Sunday and will hunt the week. The shotgun season opens on April 18. I hope to be tagged out by then. Paul

12-Apr-20
just in case someone miss all of the action the first time around. Paul

14-Apr-20
I did miss the first time around. Thanks for putting it back on top, congrats on the first and good luck on the second!

• Sitka Gear