Fuzzy 31-Mar-20
Joey Ward 31-Mar-20
Fuzzy 31-Mar-20
4nolz@work 31-Mar-20
Joey Ward 31-Mar-20
4nolz@work 31-Mar-20
Ogoki 01-Apr-20
28-Mar-20
Pat if this topic is not appropriate , please delete. Since you guys are hunters and some hunters have hunting dogs, I was wondering if anyone had dogs during the corona and parvo issues we dealt with in the early 1980's ? At that time I was raising beagles. Like bow hunting i probably go "all out" in my hobbies. At that time I had 35-40 beagles and had 4-5 litters of pups. Like many friends that had pups ,we started losing them . Local vets had no clue what was going on either.

I heard Cornell was researching this ,so I called them . I actually got to talk to a research vet and he gave me tips on how to save some . He explained that there was 2 things going on ,that being a strain of corona and something new named parvo. Since Dad and I did most of our own shots and doctoring ,thru advise from our vet ,our dogs had not been off our property and own training grounds . A neighbor 1/2 mile away was first to get it in his coon dogs. We actually believed flies may have carried it to our kennel. Could be wrong . All we knew was that it was super contagious . With the help of IV fluids injected under the skin , helped to rehydrate them. Saved some of them. The vets told us later, that the corona affected their lungs and intestines and parvo affected their intestines.

Once a vaccine came out, we starting giving the mother's a booster shot before coming in season and the pups were given shots ,every 2 weeks ,beginning at 3 weeks of age . End of the sick pups .

In January i told my sister, who works in healthcare, that if this corona in people was anything like the corona in dogs ,that we were going to be into something like we have never seen before in our lives. I don't want to sound like a know if all, but my experience with the the corona and parvo in dogs was deeply implanted in my mind . I buried so many pups that it was sickening .

28-Mar-20
I haven't seen Parvo since the mid 90's, that said we take veery good care of hounds and they are on solid vaccination schedules. We always have inoculated our adult dogs for Corona and do so up unless they are about years old or Bitches get insulated with booster prior to being bred. Puppies get five way vaccine at 6 weeks, 9 week and 15 weeks. At a year old they get two boosters both 7 way, three weeks apart. After that its a yearly 7 way booster plus corona . My kennel and means the world to me. I have 20 years of time and money into it.

The is novel virus and a by all indications and research I have done this novel virus in not an issue with dogs at this time.

28-Mar-20
Trial, I quit the beagles around 2000. Just have Labs now for pets. Just curious , what breed do you raise ?

28-Mar-20
I have beagles and always keep a few bigger hounds to run coyote and tree cats

28-Mar-20
I see Parvo all the time corona is uncommon and left out of core vaccines unless a premise problem or asked for.

Covid is "novel" no immunity-you get exposed you'll catch it.Nothing to do with dogs.

It's easy enough to vaccinate dogs for it so I assume it will become a regular thing to get Covid-19 vaccine eventually plus there will be some natural immunity we just won't know for awhile.

28-Mar-20
4nolz@work, I understand corona in dogs is not what we are dealing with in people . The premise of my post was that for us anyway,was how VERY contagious with our dogs like this corona is very contagious with people . If people could get the dog corona , I would have had it as I was around so much of it in dogs .

28-Mar-20
Well, think of “Corona virus” as a family ... like herpes viruses. Different but similar illnesses in different but similar species ... which is why I’m pessimistic about a vaccine.

There was a high economic reward for making a vaccine for this family of viruses BEFORE all this, and the very fact that it was never successfully done makes me skeptical that we’ll have more luck with this particular virus.

Some viruses are great vaccine targets (polio, smallpox) and some are lousy (HIV, for example),

That’s not to say that I think it’s not worth trying, (there are advances in this work, just slow). But I wouldn’t pin hopes on a vaccine for this thing just yet.

28-Mar-20
There is now a case of a housecat in Belgium that caught Covid-19 from human contact and two dogs in Hong Kong

28-Mar-20
Spiral the animals are not sick.Just tested + living with a + human.They cannot spread it.

29-Mar-20
I raise GSPs with a couple of litters a year. My adult dogs get parvo and corona vaccinations as part of their normal vet regiment, I assume that is administered for all. We also provide pups their vaccinations from the brand Canine Spectra. The first round of shots administered at six weeks contain the parvo vaccine. The third round of shots administered around 16 weeks contains the corona vaccine.

29-Mar-20
I lost a very good GSP pup to Parvo during the 90s dog epidemic.

The young male was out of state being finished at trials. And the trainer had it go through his kennel.

I thought he was ripping me off and trying to steal my dog. As I had never heard of Parvo.

He offered a finished female and then I just knew he was ripping me off.

Until I learned Parvo was circulating.

I eventually took the female. And she proved to be a machine.

What a great guy to force me to take a great dog. Because a virus killed my dog he had in training. No fault of his. Class act

30-Mar-20
I ckd with a vet and there are different types of Corona. The vaccine for dogs, etc. will not work on humans.

I think if some politicians were injected with animal Corona vaccine, there would probably just howl & whine louder and longer and have more crazy fits and rants.

30-Mar-20
I ckd with a vet and there are different types of Corona. The vaccine for dogs, etc. will not work on humans.

I think if some politicians were injected with animal Corona vaccine, there would probably just howl & whine louder and longer and have more crazy fits and rants.

31-Mar-20
I had hounds and beagles from mid 70's thru 80s. I remember the first round of parvo that hit. We saved a black and tan hound with calf scour bolus (sulfa drug and aint-diarrheal) that was before the vaccine. I don't remember a canine coronavirus.

31-Mar-20
In the 70’s, it was called kennel cough. Killed many a deer hound. ‘Course that was back in the day when drives were the common way to hunt deer in the south and hunters boarded numbers of various hounds.

Veterinary medicine has made advancements and dog owners and breeders have become more conscientious of their animals welfare.

31-Mar-20
OK yeah I know about kennel cough, guess I knew it was a corona but I'd forgotten

31-Mar-20
No. kennel cough is a bacteria Bordetella or an adenovirus or parainfluenza virus it is NOT canine coronavirus.Corona is a gi virus in dogs.

31-Mar-20
True. Just pointing out a similar concern that was once a major contagion concern of dog owners years ago. Didn’t mean to imply it was the same as corona.

Thanks for clarification.

31-Mar-20
Posted for Fuzzy

01-Apr-20
I remember the parvo outbreaks from the 80's so well, that in the rare occasion I see a pup with it now, I recognize the smell as soon as it hits my nose. For some reason it seemed to hit the German breeds worse than others. I always associated dobermans and rottweilers with parvo.

01-Apr-20
Tradman , The smell of parvo ,is something you don't forget . It was a nightmare.

• Sitka Gear