drycreek 30-Mar-20
Genesis 31-Mar-20
Huntiam 01-Apr-20
BullBuster 01-Apr-20
Ambush 01-Apr-20
Buck Watcher 01-Apr-20
air leak 01-Apr-20
29-Mar-20
I was looking at some old photos and there was one where the camera caught the red reflection in my eyes. Since we can see when an animal is looking at us at night and we can see their eyeshine from our light. Since their eyes are more sensitive from being able to see at night because of their ability to "take a second look" in their eyes, can they then see our eyeshine during the day or even in low light conditions? If there are hunters out there that have used sunglasses, I would love to know if an animal has busted you just by it looking at you.

30-Mar-20
Presuming the pictures where you had red eye were with a flash and that you are seeing their eyes at night because you are hitting them with a bright light?

I think you see where I am going with this.

30-Mar-20
Wha did you mean their eyes have the ability to take a second look

30-Mar-20
Not sure what "112" you're smoking?

30-Mar-20
Been my experience if they take a second look THEY GONE lol

30-Mar-20
I've been busted by the reflection of the sun off my sunglasses.

30-Mar-20
Bloodtrial - She may have cataracts. Humans can also get retinoblastoma, a form of eye cancer that causes them to lose the red reflex. Not sure if deer can get this.

30-Mar-20
Blood have you tried a test to walk up to her in the dark. If she stays around she has trouble seeing in the dark.

30-Mar-20

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
These two have lost their eye shine in one eye. One during the rut in 18 the other this year. ;) Do you think they are more careful after they lose one eye? I would be.

30-Mar-20
Animals that see well at night have a layer in the posterior of the eye called "TAPETUM LUCIDUM". This layer causes light to reflect off the back of the eye and into the "rods". Rods are receptors that gather light in low conditions (no color). This is the reflection that you see when you shine a light at a deer. Humans do NOT have a TAPETUM LUCIDUM thus no reflection. Camera flash is something entirely different. Remember something from anatomy class :)

30-Mar-20
Because of this I started wearing a camera on my hat and I have a full facemask that I can put phone inside and watch camera on phone via bluetooth from camera.

30-Mar-20
So what I’m getting from this is, if a deer shines a light in my eyes they won’t glow

30-Mar-20
I used to have a one eyed buck on my place. I feel sure he was blind in one eye because not only did one eye not “shine”, he always held his head slightly turned to one side when he was moving, like he needed to see on the blind side.

31-Mar-20
I would not think so. Deer retinas are more sensitive to shorter wavelengths of light (UV spectrum) than humans but the human lens and cornea filters the UV light that a deer would see.

So the light approaches the human and the human eye filters the visible wavelength of a deer TWICE as the "eyeshine" aka retinal light reflex is reflected off the human retina where some scatter and absorbtion will take place and back through the human lens and cornea again to the deer's eye. I just don't see where there would be any substantially visible UV left to stimulate a deer retina

Hunt with sunglasses to protect oneself and don't worry about spooking quarry

01-Apr-20
Link I put a good friend of mine on a deer last yr that only one eye would glow at night in camera pics... after he was on the ground the eye that didn’t shine he was blind in and had a white film look over it

01-Apr-20
Interesting question whether starlight or moonlight reflects off our eyes sufficiently for deer to see us at night?

01-Apr-20
So if the tables ever turn, we don't have to worry about deer jack-lighting us.

Now if things get real bad; do a vegan's eyes shine in the dark? {:

01-Apr-20
"So what I’m getting from this is, if a deer shines a light in my eyes they won’t glow".

Eyes reflect the light - "shine". They do no absorb light then emit it - "glow".

01-Apr-20
Here's what I think...Don't over think things! Jeez..

• Sitka Gear