Rock 09-Apr-20
Archery 10-Apr-20
WV Mountaineer 10-Apr-20
stjohnh4 10-Apr-20
Silvertip 12-Apr-20
30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
I first met otcWill at the P&Y Convention in Omaha. Having Hunt Man as a close mutual friend I knew I would like this guy from what I hade heard from Hunt, and I was not wrong about this assumption. Here is a late night pic near Zack Walton's room at the convention. After some talking back and forth we had decided that come Spring turkey season he should come stay at our cabin and join us on our annual turkey hunt.

30-Mar-20
This'l be good.

30-Mar-20
Gonna be nice to have a story to go with the pics I received. Bring it!

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We discussed when would be the best time for him to come and we decided to do it as close to opener as we could make it work. Excitement was growing the closer we got and scouting showed that bird numbers were really good and I couldn't wait to get Will out here. Then the damn Coronavirus comes along and we soon saw things changing in a hurry and life as we knew it was no longer. The nearer we drew to our hunt the worse things looked an I honestly didn't think Will would be making the trip with everything going on. The day before he was to arrive he called and said, "right now I'm still leaving tomorrow unless something drastic happens." My son Zach and I arrived at the cabin that afternoon and Will along with my buddy Matt would be there that evening. While we unloaded the pickup at the cabin we heard gobbling and soon watched a half dozen toms with some hens come off the hill behind the cabin. With the season already open it was hard to lay off them.

30-Mar-20
This is gonna be good....

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Matt and Will both arrived that evening and we all excited to be there and to get away from the real world for a few days and enjoy our turkey quarantine. We stayed up late, drank to much, and laughed and reminisced. Regardless if we killed birds it seemed like this get away is just what we all needed. The next morning the alarm went off and everyone jumped out of bed with enthusiasm. Will was ready in about two minutes!

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Matt and I would be hunting a big open rye field on the north of our property while Zach and Will would be hunting a field just south of the cabin a few hundred yards near where we saw all the birds the afternoon before. Matt and I were setup but had only heard one gobble that was a long way off. We weren't real optimistic but knew birds were spreading out and at anytime birds could show up.

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Matt and I finally got a response from a bird that sounded like he was pretty close. This bird loved the sound of the box call and was the only thing he would gobble back at.

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Soon I could hear spitting and drumming and he sounded close. I peered out th back window and saw a big lone tom strutting and on a death march to "Richard" the jake decoy. After a short stop at the one feeding hen decoy he chested up to Richard!

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
I take aim and make a perfect hit and he makes it a short distance and does a face plant and bird number one is down, and he is a stud!

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
I like big hooks and I cannot lie!

30-Mar-20
Was wondering when the turkeys would start falling in NE to these guys?

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
After that all was silent as far as turkeys go. However we had a real close call on a big beautiful male coyote stalking our decoys at 8 yards. He was behind us and although Matt came to full draw the old dog didn't step out for a shot, and then realized he had made a bad mistake and hauled ass! We head back to the cabin late morning to check on the other boys.

30-Mar-20
Keep it going thanks for sharing

30-Mar-20
We were hanging out on the porch and soon heard birds yelping and gobbling in a couple of directions and knew Zach and Will were about to see some action. I walked up on the hill behind the cabin and saw birds headed to the decoys.

30-Mar-20
After sitting for about 7 hours with nothing but distant gobbling, all hell broke loose for Zach and I. A lone tom was slowly angling toward the dekes closing to 80, 70, 60, 40 when all of a sudden a pile of hens and jakes dumped into the decoys. I picked a jake and swung a little too far to the left before killing the blind :) Luckily that wasn't the end of the action

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Once we heard the birds leave the field I snuck over to the blind and see a big dead tom laying out just beyond the decoys. They had a couple of different groups come in and Will had connected on a jake out of the first bunch in hopes that the big tom that had held up out of range would charge in. This plan didn't work out but did kill one of the big toms out of group number two! We were jacked!

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Night time was a good time! Lots of story telling, refreshments, wild game and darts! Matt won the singles and had bragging rights!

30-Mar-20

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
But then Will and I came away with the doubles crown!! Speaking of doubles I think Will had a few of those from the Makers Mark bottle!

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We decide to show Will some Sandhills birds and head south to the middle of nowhere. Zach and my buddy Jade head to a different spot. Matt, Will and I locate some birds and setup between two big cottonwood groves hoping to intercept them.

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
The main flock circles West but before we make a move we have gobbles east of us. Two big toms pop out of the grove at 150 yards and come at a trot towards "Richard". Will and I know what is coming and we are eating it up!

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
They near the decoys and Will hammers one with a Vortex. Matt gives me a range on the one walking away through the fence at 25 and I shoot and hit him but it didn't look great!

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We wait a bit and I decide to go take a look while they stay in the blind in case the big flock shows up. I go make a search in the thick grove and find nothing. I return to the blind and they hadn't heard or saw anything else. After a while longer I decide I am going to go back to the grove and search it as best I can. I am making my way through a thick spot and spot him tucked tight under a fallen cottonwood. I knew I had to just miss the log to make a good hit as all I could see was his tail. I kneeled down and shot and he exploded out on the run with an arrow buried in the middle of his back. I follow the trail about 50 yards and there he lay and I am relieved! I walk back to the blind proudly carrying my prize and Matt snaps a pic!

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Will and I double and at that moment I can promise you we had forgot about the troubles of the world!

30-Mar-20
Aww yes! I needed this!

PS...That first pic is obviously in the days before social distancing, although you may have still caught something from Ike? :-)

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Will says we are going to celebrate with a drink but not being able to get the wax off he decides to use a broadhead. "Richard" looks on and thinks it is a bad idea!

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
"Richard" was right!

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We get back into cell service and get this pic from Zach and says "one of the best turkey hunts of my life!" I know he has been on some great ones so I couldn't wait to hear about it.

30-Mar-20
So awesome! Congrats guys!

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We get the cabin and open a beer and Zach and Jade are like two little boys sharing their hunt. Turns out a quiet lone tom struts into the decoys and Zach hits him and he staggers out to 40 yards where he puts another arrow in him. A while later another loner that doesn't make a peep comes in and Jade drops him in the decoys. They are excited about a double and taking it all in when a short time later two more big toms approach the decoys and whack, whack, a quad is accomplished. Happy times in turkey camp I promise you!

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
The next morning Zach passes several jakes but no toms make an appearance. That afternoon Matt and Zach go together an I choose to hunt by the cabin as we were having a fish fry and thought I may leave the blind early to help get things ready if it was slow. I had a group of hens beat on my hen decoy but no toms showed so I headed to the cabin. Jade and I and I and my buddy Joel were sitting at the table in the cabin having a refreshment when I look out and see a big tom strolling by out the fron door. I jump up open the door walk out on the deck and grab my bow and don't bother strapping my release on and nock an arrow. He steps out at 25 yards from behind the propane tank and I fill my last tag from the cabin deck! Joel and I toast to the success!

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Mean while Zach and Matt are having a great hunt as well! They call a bird from the hens and heads straight for "Richard"!

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Matt makes a great shot and defends "Richard" once again!

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Will had to leave camp and head home as he wasn't sure how long it would be until the Colorado border would be shut down. Matt heads home to hunt with his son leaving Zach and I alone in camp. We hunt our butts off for Zach's last bird and although we have piles of jakes giving us opportunities we can't get a tom to play. Finally after many close calls we have two toms coming to the decoys at 50 yards. About that time a huge tom pops out at 50 yards on the other side of us and heads our way.

30-Mar-20
Turkey murderers!!! Love it.

30-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
The big boy goes around us to cut off the two year olds and I told Zach to drop the back window. Before we get the window down they have moved from 15 yards out to 30. Zach says "give me a range" and I say 36! Arrow is on it's way and bingo! This kill capped off a great trip and as we pack up the blind we can't help but smile as we give each other a hug!

30-Mar-20
I can't express how much I loved this hunt! Being able to spend time with family, great friends new and old and then to have so many great hunts made it even more special. In these times of uncertainty it makes you appreciate them that much more. Have to thank Will's wife for letting him come and glad he was able to tag out before he had to get back home. Now that Zach and I are tagged out we are thankful his sister still has a tag so the hunt continues!!

30-Mar-20
Good times!

30-Mar-20

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
Sometimes you meet people that you know are cut from the same cloth the very minute you meet them. I knew this about this crew right away. I consider myself beyond lucky to have made the friends I have through this site. Harlin, Zach, and Matt are some of the best bowhunters I've been around and even better people. I've got tremendous respect for these guys and can't wait to share another hunt as this won't be the last. Thanks guys for everything!!

30-Mar-20
Awesome stuff Beav! We badly needed something like this to remind us why we are all doing what we are doing. Family, good friends, and the outdoors are all still open for business! Congrats guys!

30-Mar-20
Nothing on this thread surprise me. Well maybe Jade killing a turkey!!! Strong work my friends. Can’t wait till we can all do it together again!! Hunt

30-Mar-20
HAHAhaha........!!! GREAT thread and pics guys! CONGRATS!!!

30-Mar-20
Excellent!! Will, do you have a recipe for Double Bull?

I was planning to go over there this week but waiting to see if they close the border. Thanks for the vicarious thrills!!!

30-Mar-20
Awsome! Big Congrats to everyone!!

30-Mar-20
Congrats to all on some great birds! I continue to be amazed at how many turkeys there are in the Midwest. They are vanishing here in the Northeast faster than toilet paper. The biologists still haven't figured out why.

30-Mar-20
Wow!!!

30-Mar-20
Excellent in every aspect! You guys were stackin em up like cordwood!

What’s the the story behind how “Richard” got his name?!

30-Mar-20
Good stuff fellas, thanks for the entertainment!

30-Mar-20
Holy, turkeys must be a outright pestilence there!!!

Thanks for the fun on this dreary still-stinking-winter day!

30-Mar-20
That’s a serious pile of dead turkeys! Great hunt and great recap fellas! Thanks for posting!

30-Mar-20
Congrats guys that's a lot of gobbler!

Curious about Richard? I'm assuming he's a homemade decoy? Tell us more on how he was made.

30-Mar-20
Guys that was a shot of some goooood medicine. Great story, great pics and the laughs that I needed today. You're blessed to have a great group of friends cut from the same tree.

30-Mar-20
Great stuff, guys! Thanks for the recap.

Harlin, I'll give you 50 bucks for that T5! ;-)

30-Mar-20
Congrats guys!! Looks like a great weekend!!

30-Mar-20

30-Mar-20
Midwest that is my buddy Matt’s blind! Still love those blinds the best of any. Richard is a decoy that Matt mounted. He puts a new cape on him about every 4 years. There have literally been 100s of Turkey kills because of Richard. He got his name because he is a “dick” and therefore pisses off birds that come in looking for a fight!

30-Mar-20
Wow!!

What a great place to quarantine...you guys tore it up out there!

30-Mar-20
"He got his name because he is a “dick”

I was guessing that was the case, lol !

30-Mar-20

30-Mar-20
Well done! Wish I wasn't so busy, would have loved to drop down and have a couple with you guys! Thanks for writing it up.

31-Mar-20
Looks like a great time had by all! Congrats and thanks for sharing!

31-Mar-20
Nice fun post. Just what everyone needs.

31-Mar-20
well done guys! Enjoyed this thread immensely!

31-Mar-20

31-Mar-20

31-Mar-20
Looks like an epic time all around! Thanks for posting it up.

31-Mar-20
Looks like an epic time all around! Thanks for posting it up.

31-Mar-20
Amazing hunt guys!!!! Congrats!!!

31-Mar-20
Great hunt there Harlin and Zach! I need to get back up that way one of these days and I will be stopping in for a double makers.

31-Mar-20
You do that Matt and we will go kill a bird as well!

31-Mar-20
Made me smile! Nice work boys. Thanks for sharing the hunt with us. Just perfect!

31-Mar-20
I enjoyed the thread and it had me looking forwarded to get out to NE to hunt soon. Now they quit selling permits to non residents and the thread is salt in my wounds. :( Sad first year in probably 15 I’ll miss hunting NE turkeys. Glad you all were early birds!

31-Mar-20
JohnMC, we are thankful we did too! Seems awful crazy to me!

31-Mar-20
Couple shots of this and few cans of that, throw in a few bloody arrows and there you have a recipe for just down right fun. Great post!

01-Apr-20
Thanks for posting, that was some great shooting by all but a heck of a shot at 25yds without your release!

01-Apr-20
thanks for sharing

02-Apr-20
Fantastic fellas. Thanks for sharing.

02-Apr-20
Corona proof story! Vicarious thrills, no doubt. That was some serious turkey slayin'....

02-Apr-20
Great story! Looked like bundles of fun!

02-Apr-20
Did you guys leave any turkeys for anyone else to hunt? Looks like you guys had a grand time congrats! Thanks taking the time post!

02-Apr-20
Glad to see some folks are not letting COVID 19 keep them down! ;-)

WAY TO GO, boys! And thanks for sharing that great adventure! : )

03-Apr-20
Harlin, I was in the woods doing the same and missed this post but now that I am back home for a few days, it is time to catch up on turkey stories. And what a story you presented, a story of friends having a great time as there are lots of people not experience good times at all. We all need to see the brighter side of life, as the dark side will produce mental strife. A day or two in the turkey woods is like an asprin, it takes some pain away. Nicely done all around. my best, Paul

04-Apr-20
Appreciate it Paul and glad You made it back out to tag your gobbler!! Take care!

04-Apr-20
Social Distancing! I am heading back out tomorrow,but to a different part of Nebraska to fill the second tag. Different country, fewer birds, but I like a challenge. Maybe another story. Paul

05-Apr-20
Thanks for sharing!!

07-Apr-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
The turkey hunting has continued. My daughter arrows a nice gobbler after we finally pulled two away from the flock.

07-Apr-20
Took a buddy who scored on a double.

07-Apr-20
Great thread, stories and pictures! Really need stuff like this right now, thank you for sharing and a big congrats to all!

07-Apr-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo

07-Apr-20

Marty's embedded Photo
Marty's embedded Photo

07-Apr-20
Awesome Beav! Keep stacking them up!

07-Apr-20
Marty is was only 10! ;)

09-Apr-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
My daughter with her second gobbler of the Spring but he didn’t come easy. We called this bird in with his seven hens and he came right to the Jake decoy at 6 yards. She hit him a bit back but didn’t look terrible. We watched this bird for about 15 minutes and he slowly walked away from his hens into a grove of trees. We jumped him from under a cedar and he flew about 150 yards. Searched until dark with no luck. My daughter and son returned in the morning and searched another 2 hours no luck. I called my buddy and he brought his dog and we returned and after two more hours we were about to give up when the dog went on point. The tom busted out from under the cedar and the dog was on his butt. I was chasing after them both through the thick grove when wham!! I ran right into a fallen cottonwood and was knocked flat. After realizing I hadn’t broke my neck I jumped back up and soon caught up just as the dog rolled the bird, and then I jumped on top of the gobbler. My buddy walks over and says “uh oh, you’re bleeding”. I didn’t care as I was so happy we had finally found him.

09-Apr-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo

09-Apr-20
Get em Beav!! Dang son!!

09-Apr-20
whoa, Beav, wow!

09-Apr-20
Ouch, some of us (me included) do whatever it takes to get the job done. I lost one once for several hours until my friend Bluetick treed him and I was able to shoot him again. That was a wild afternoon. Mine was a little different in that when I got to my bird the Bluetick had removed all the tail feathers except 2.

10-Apr-20
Great story Beav, Rick T and I had to find one I shot that was hiding in a brush pile, but it didn't include any of our blood.

10-Apr-20
This whole thread was AWESOME!!!!!!! I love it!!!!

10-Apr-20
Classic hunt! Thanks for sharing.

12-Apr-20

Silvertip's Link
Beav didn't know that it was Bart's 10th birthday the day we found the turkey. What a great way to spend your birthday! He has been a good bird dog and once when he was a couple years old he helped me find another turkey, but pheasants are his thing. He got so excited chasing this bird down he was yipping as he tried to figure out how to grab the thing. It made me think of this old episode of the Beverly Hillbillies. "Joel come a runn'in--it's the biggest durn pheasant you ever did see!!" Granny has always made me laugh. If you are short on time just skip to the 8 minute mark for my favorite highlight. Hope I got the link right.

• Sitka Gear