Ermine 02-Apr-20
Glunt@work 02-Apr-20
Jaquomo 02-Apr-20
Hh76 02-Apr-20
Scrappy 02-Apr-20
wilhille 02-Apr-20
hobbes 02-Apr-20
31-Mar-20
I’m hearing rumors that Nebraska has stopped selling non-resident permits because of the Coronavirus???? Googled it and can’t find anything. Please tell me this is just some BS talk that got started!

31-Mar-20
It sounds like it’s true. As of 6:30 last night they stopped selling permits, so if you bought one before then you can still hunt. The official announcement is supposed to be today from what I hear!

31-Mar-20
Lol. I doubt it.

31-Mar-20
Go online and try to buy one - Good luck

31-Mar-20
Zach is correct. It is closed to any new NR sales. Existing permits are fine, but not any new ones are being sold.

31-Mar-20
Good time to hunt closer to home I guess, bad move by NE. Hopefully this nonsense doesn't spread to other states.

31-Mar-20
This is just for spring turkey, correct? All other permits look to be available online.

31-Mar-20

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
I did not believe you all. So I checked for myself and I’ll be damn.

31-Mar-20
Right now, it is not nonsense, come to NY and watch the people dying at a rate of a few hundred a day. I was due to hunt both NE and Iowa this year but as of now everyone should limit travel and contact with whoever they can!! Shawn

31-Mar-20
Well just damn. It is what it is though, gotta roll with the punches in the crazy world we live in right now

31-Mar-20
" but as of now everyone should limit travel and contact with whoever they can!!"

But that only applies to a select few

31-Mar-20
This is just for spring turkey, correct? All other permits look to be available online.

31-Mar-20
Just called them at Omaha office and it was confirmed that they are not selling non resident turkey permits for spring season. That sucks

31-Mar-20
North Dakota suspended NR fishing license sales yesterday, but due to public outcry reinstated them today.

31-Mar-20
How did the public outcry go? Maybe we can use it for a blueprint in NE.

If there’s a silver-lining to this crap. It would be that this leads to Colorado cancel the nonresident elk hunting. ;)

31-Mar-20
Shawn, I can get in my car right now and drive to Nebraska from out of state and I can do whatever I like...except hunt turkeys. I can go fishing, I can go camping, I can go hiking, boating, etc, etc. If you're going to stop travel into your state for reasons of social distancing then make it make sense. Nebraska can do what they like to protect their citizens and I support that, but are they really protecting them by stopping NR turkey permit sales when they allow everything else?

31-Mar-20
Great move at this time for Nebraska. I would not be surprised if more states follow Nebraskas decision

31-Mar-20
Brotsky what your saying is true, you can travel to NE, but should you?

That’s the problem is people not acknowledging all the no travel, social distancing, shelter in place guidelines! This virus isn’t spread by the deathly ill and sick people, it’s spread by the asymptotic people that won’t freaking listen!

You go to NE and you’ll stop at any amount of stores, gas station, etc. You could be bringing the virus there unknowingly or you could be picking it up the same and bringing it home to your family and community unknowingly! How would that make you feel, just so you could hunt a turkey, really?

Wake up people! Over 3,000 people have already died and still we don’t listen. I live in a small rural town in MT and it’s already killed people I know. They aren’t making this shit up guys.

NYC and parts of CA look like war zones and soon so will NO, Detroit, and many other cities.

When you make selfish decisions based on what you think won’t effect anyone else, please please please think again!

Stay safe

31-Mar-20
I wasn't aware that turkeys carried the virus. Learn something new about this every day.... Bummer...

31-Mar-20
Yea Lou I didn’t know that either. Guess other animals carry it as well. So heard Colorado big game seasons is closed.

31-Mar-20
I was surprised when there was a post about a bunch of guys going to Nebraska to hunt turkeys ! I was scheduled to head there but the lady where I hunt asked me to stay home. She is very upset that alot of people from Colorado with property there are suddenly showing up and felt that me travelling there would be about the same thing. I also made an inquiring to the NGPC to see if I could move my 2 permits to next year. I was told no but I could apply to the Director for a refund. Maybe they are not selling nr permits so they don't get a bunch of refund requests later .

31-Mar-20
You can’t teach the ignorant and selfish that don’t want to learn!

Asymptomatic HUMANS carry it and spread it.

When tens or even hundreds of thousands of fellow Americans have died I only hope that it doesn’t effect you or your families.

31-Mar-20
0hndycp I agree, I watched the 60 minutes special the other night where they interviewed Dr.'s and nurses --- this shit is real and people need to put the breaks on. This isn't just for the old and/or unhealthy - -- a healthy 21 year old has succumbed to this as well. Yes, I think there "may" be a bit of hype on this from some sources. One of the CDC officials last comment was "April is going to be worse than March and May is going to be worse than April".

I have family in their 70's, some with heart conditions, the last thing I want is to loose a loved one due to some peoples not taking this serious enough.

I'm not saying the sky is falling, but if you don't believe "some" of what is being said then we are all in for a scary future. I feel lucky that I live in a rural setting, closest neighbor is few hundred yards, the next is a few more hundred yards beyond that.

So, for your kids and grand kid's sake, be safe to yourself and everyone else.

31-Mar-20
If my post about the turkey hunt "with a bunch of guys going to Nebraska to turkey hunt" is the one being referred to. Let me explain this. It was all friends right here from my little home town in NorthCentral Nebraska. There are no reported cases with in two hours of here. I know what the risk are but when we are isolated to our cabin with no contact with other people we had a way less chance of being exposed than if we were at our jobs. Will was the only "outsider" and we talked about his situation and knew he posed no risk as he had been isolated to home for a couple of weeks.

31-Mar-20
James, I'm saying that if you want to do this the right way then close Nebraska or whatever state to all NR participation in all outdoor activities for the time being. It's asinine to allow 12 other reasons to come to a state and only stop one specific thing. Either do it right or don't do it at all. These half ass measures everywhere are only causing more problems. Let's eat a turd sandwich for 30 days and get this over with and not drag it out all summer.

31-Mar-20
ohndycp-I totally agree with your comments. I have a Wife & 1 Daughter that are Nurses. 1 a walk in clinic & 1 a hospital so OUR families are doing everything possible to protect ourselves. We know with TWO working in the front lines how serious this is. Sadly, you can't fix stupid & those are the ones we need to fear. Granted, some dumb rules may be put out there but it's people "trying" to help & get a handle on this first time virus. Sadly, we know of some having experienced a loved one affected by this & they died alone with no family allowed. Others have critical relatives & not allowed to visit. We had a dear friend take husbabd to hospital with heart problems. She waited in parking lot 4 hrs while he went through tests. Then told to go home when he was admitted. She was not allowed to see him until he was released 3 days later.It's real, it's bad & will be devastating for many in different ways. I love the outdoors as much as anyone but I'll do anything to protect my family. If a Turkey is worth that much to you, stay the hell away from me. I hope none of you experience a personal tradedy but taking this lightly & bitching about things others do to "try" & protect others is less than common sense. Hopefully it's "temporary". It's like combat for any of you that have been in the military. You never "really" know how strong the enemy is until your in that first firefight & then "you learn" from each encounter. NEVER think you have the upper hand until defeated. We are in the unknown with this virus at present. I have 5 kids & 15 G-kids I want to enjoy after this is over or at least controlled in some way. If you want to blame anyone, blame China..

31-Mar-20
" If a Turkey is worth that much to you, stay the hell away from me."

Bingo.

31-Mar-20
If cancelling non resident permits reduces the number of cases even one, its worth the effort and disappointment. Im hoping other states jump on board... Im a die hard hunter, like many here, and am all for stopping or postponing any events that could spread or continue this disaster... Turkeys, deer, elk, fish will all be there next year...

31-Mar-20
What don't people get??? The government has ads all over the place saying Stay Home, 250,000,000 million are being told to stay home. Get your head out of your ass and just know this is serious and I am one who can't stay home. I am essential in the health field and I expose myself to the virus everyday but use all the preventative aids I can get to limit my exposure but I still have to go home to a very vunerable wife everyday. Hell I have not been able to see my grandkids or kids in 3 weeks. As I said use your head and it will slow the spread!!! Shawn

31-Mar-20
15 or more people die an hour in NY due to other things. Just a normal day. In Colorado the news is all about the hospitals being so overloaded and so crazy. I work as a firefighter and when we transport people to the hospital. The hospitals here are not busy and seem less busy than normal pre pandemic times. So what the news is saying about the hospitals aren’t what we are seeing on the ground.

We have the entire state shut down. Everything closed. We have yet to go on any patient who has the virus.

31-Mar-20
"Seems like the "negativity virus" on this site has spread more rapidly than the coronavirus. Maybe all of you that have caught it should stay off here so it don't spread any further!!!!"

Good observation. I think folks need to step back and take a deep breath. Just follow the CDC guidelines for separation and hygiene and use common sense. If in doubt, hang out at the house. Do some house projects and honey-do's. We'll get thru this.....

31-Mar-20
Hey Beav my daughter works in a hospital in Detroit Mi hard for me to understand some. I bet you would be only too happy to trade spots with her as I'm sure she would much rather be out turkey . By the way Detroit remains the epicenter of the outbreak in Michigan with more than 1,800 cases and 52 deaths since the outbreak began. But of course this has nothing to do with you ! Thankfully Nebraska so far only has 2 deaths and 149 cases so far !

31-Mar-20
In Michigan the hospital my daughter works at cleared out as many beds as they could a few weeks ago . Many sauid the same thing you did about them being not busy. Well guess what this week they are full ! She and her co-workers are being told to use their PPE for a week !!!!!!!!

31-Mar-20
There's a giant difference between a tightly packed urban area and the wide open spaces we live where we may not see another soul all day, even during the normal course of business. Necessary precautions and prevention are different, sheltering in place may be the right thing to do in some places, its overkill in others. Like JL says, follow the guidelines by the CDC, protect yourself and your family. I pray that it runs its course sooner than later and all of you and your families are okay. Stay well.

31-Mar-20
CPW just announced no more Big Game apps being accepted from Nebraska Residents. We don't want any of them coming and camping in our mountains possibly exposing our elk and deer to the virus.

Tongue in cheek guys don't hang me. This really is stupid when I can still go and camp, fish and shed hunt on the same NE property I was going to next week without having a single contact with anyone. Maybe 1 gas fill up at a pay at the pump.

31-Mar-20
15 people a hours sounds like a lot. But NY has a population of about 20 million. Average life expectancy is just under 79 years. 20 million divided by 79 is 253,165 dead a year. Divide that by 365 days and that is 694 a day dead. Divide that my 24 hours in a day and that is 28.9 people a hour dead. Is this a bad thing - yes. But it easy to use stats to make things sound a lot worse.

As far a social distancing goes, spending a few days in woods hunting turkeys, fishing, walking around looking for sheds. Is probably doing a better job of it than 99% of the population.

31-Mar-20
I was just told that Florida has set up roadblocks at the their borders, and they are turning away people with NY license plates. Haven't confirmed it yet, but it raises other questions...….I probably live about 400 miles west of New York City in a very rural area, about 4 miles from the Pa State line, almost as far west as you can go, while still being in NY state. If I lived in the Poconos of Pa, I'd be several hours closer to the city, but since I live in a different state, I'd be able to travel to Florida (not that I want to). Personally, I have been respecting the travel ban for non-essential purposes....but for those that are not, screening people at a state line based on your state of residence seems somewhat flawed, when proximity to the source should be as much, or more of a factor.

31-Mar-20

31-Mar-20

31-Mar-20

JL's Link
"Drivers entering Florida from neighboring states are being funneled through interstate checkpoints as authorities seek to crack down on the spread of the coronavirus, the state's department of transportation said.

All travelers are asked a series of questions, according to the local CBS News affiliate KENS, with those arriving from places like New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Louisiana forced to give contact information during their required 14-day self-quarantine.

In some cases, drivers posted photos of videos of massive traffic jams soon after the checkpoints were enacted Sunday as cars wait to enter the state. There are currently no federal warnings against domestic travel except for New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut residents who aren't part of "critical infrastructure" activities.

Individuals arriving from the New York City area or Louisiana are subject to a $500 fine or 60 days in jail if they break the order to self-quarantine.

Last week, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis slammed what he called "reckless" travelers from New York who defied local stay-at-home orders for causing an outbreak in his state.

"You're having people be reckless and cause problems for other communities," DeSantis said.

"I think people have realized that the epicenter of this thing has shifted," DeSantis said of the virus. "Now the epicenter worldwide really is New York City. We're really rooting for New York to get through it," he continued. "But what's happened is — and it's a problem for Florida — once the shelter-in-place was issued, people started fleeing the city."

31-Mar-20
Nebraska just sent me an email stating they will give me a full refund on my prebought licensesif I want it with instructions how to proceed

31-Mar-20
Americans have become so accustomed to various personal freedoms, that when any of them are potentially infringed upon, you get a wide spectrum of responses/actions.

31-Mar-20
Could you imagine if Colorado closed elk season to non residents. They might have to bring in the national guard.

31-Mar-20

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo

31-Mar-20
I do have to give credit to Nebraska on this for one thing, the Governor of SD is far more likely to close turkey hunting to residents than non-residents! :-)

31-Mar-20
There are somethings more important than killing a damn turkey. Even if you can still drive to Nebraska, common sense says you shouldn’t. It may not seem to be as bad in the West/ Mid -West but the Eastern third of the country is bad and getting worse by the day. If your a carrier, the person you infect could be a loved one.

31-Mar-20
I live in the country, I’m retired, go to town about once a week or less. The county next to me has a “shelter in place” order at this time, only necessary traffic or movement is supposed to take place. Traffic is about half of what it normally is when I went to the optometrist this morning. The only other place .i went was to my lease and that only because I sprayed two plots last Friday and wanted to see what they looked like and stay out of the house for awhile. Other than that, I’m taking this thing seriously, I’m diabetic, have sleep apnea, and 73 years old. I’m not quite ready to die. I have hand sanitizer in my truck, use gloves when filling my gas tank, and use hand wipes as soon as I get back in the truck if I go into any store. I’m not around anyone except my family or maybe one friend when we put out lime next week. I keep my distance from folks if I have to go into a place of business, and that’s only when necessary. I’d appreciate it if others would do the same.

31-Mar-20
I live in a town of less than 3000 residents. I’m 80 miles from any thing resembling a city of more than 10000. We now have 6 cases, of which 4 were hospitalized, and 2 have already passed away.

These 2 people were both living normal lives a week ago, heading the shelter in place warnings, and only leaving for essentials.

There is no known case of how either of them got exposed. The only explanation being an asymptomatic carrier that didn’t know.

These two people were husbands, grandfathers, and friends.

Do we need to shutter our homes and stop all outdoor activities, no. Do we need to stop traveling across 2 states, many counties, and more towns and such.....ABSOLUTELY!!! Will this pass, yes in time, but all we are doing is prolonging the pain, sadness, and death by not taking the restrictions seriously!

To argue that death rates are not what they say they or that they pale in comparison to normal day of deaths in a city is so flawed, selfish, and ignorant it’s disgusting!

These people could still be living normal lives, hugging loved ones, and watching grandkids grow. But when people only think of themselves and not ramifications of their decisions others are stricken and some will die.

31-Mar-20
Lou can you share a source on that statement regarding inflated covid deaths? I can’t seem to find it anywhere but would love to have facts to back it up should it get brought up in conversation.

31-Mar-20

JohnMC's Link
Yopper here you go.

Katie O’Donnell, spokeswoman for the county health department, clarified that there is just one death out of the 93 Larimer County residents who have tested positive for the coronavirus.

The other three deaths reported by the state are people determined to be “epidemiologically connected,” O’Donnell explained. That means they had symptoms and might have been exposed to the coronavirus but died without being tested.

31-Mar-20
Thanks John.

31-Mar-20
For those who agree with canceling the turkey season.... do you also want to cancel fishing? cancel hiking? cancel camping? cancel boating? The point is... what all do you want to cancel or do you just want to pick and choose. Serious question?

Hell Yes..... Everything.. Stay at home for 3 weeks and things will start getting back to normal...

31-Mar-20
Yes please close Florida down. For good!!!! No vacancy

31-Mar-20
Omaha had 5 million people passengers last year. Are the flights shut down in and out of Omaha???

31-Mar-20
So after 3 weeks when things don’t get back to normal are you still fine with everything being closed down? I feel like when your out turkey hunting your not near people?

31-Mar-20
Sure... whatever it takes... you think lifting the travel bans and letting people live a normal life is going to help stop the spread of the virus.. Really, I understand and see your point, "out in the woods you are not near people", but its everything else that goes into getting there...

31-Mar-20

31-Mar-20
https://www.wesmoss.com/news/an-important-covid-19-update-and-advice-video-from-dr-dave-price/

31-Mar-20
It's official. I just got the email from NE stating suspension of NR turkey licenses

31-Mar-20
Just the purchase of them. If you had one prior to this date you are being allowed to hunt if you choose

31-Mar-20
Yes, I should have been more clear

31-Mar-20
Good news is if you did get a tag(s) and where unsuccessful. I know that is hard to do in NE. You can get a refund it sounds like!

31-Mar-20
I agree with suspending the sale of non-resident permits. I live in IL...I'm a teacher, so I'm not working right now. I could easily buy a NR permit and get in my truck to come turkey hunt in NE...imagine how many people I would come into contact with, either directly or indirectly on my trip out there. There's a handful of positive cases in my county...I'm about 2 hours south of Chicago and an hour north of Champaign... You guys living out in the middle of nowhere want me showing up in your town and buying gas at your pumps and groceries at your Wal-mart???

I think it's silly to close down things that local people would be able to utilize without having to come into contact with people and places they normally wouldn't. People obviously aren't going out into the woods in large groups...the problem is the number of people you come into contact with when you travel to get to the woods.

31-Mar-20
I hope Missouri follows NE. We will see.

31-Mar-20

JL's Link
FWIW............it's from the NY Times so take it for what it's worth. There is more of the story at the link.

Restrictions Are Slowing Coronavirus Infections, New Data Suggest

[The New York Times] Donald G. McNeil Jr. ,The New York Times•March 31, 2020

Harsh measures, including stay-at-home orders and restaurant closures, are contributing to rapid drops in the numbers of fevers — a signal symptom of most coronavirus infections — recorded in states across the country, according to intriguing new data produced by a medical technology firm.

31-Mar-20
Shawn, you are wasting your breath. I worked in the hospital for 20+ years. ICU(med&surg) when I tried to talk to people about things they should or shouldn't do they would laugh at me an call me stupid. Then when shit would hit the fan, they wanted me to fix them. I am retired, but was told by my doctor to lay low. Even getting the flu shot I got it. Got it in Feb. Still have a cough. So the doctor said do not do anything. It is hard to see people be stupid.

31-Mar-20
How many nonresidents go to Nebraska to spring turkey hunt? How many now are going there to go camping and fishing? I don't know, but I bet the majority of people that go to NE this time of year are going to hunt turkeys. So, yeah, shut it down, big deal. Some of you sound like the spring break kids whining about their entitlement to "party" on the beach. Not caring if they get it, won't stop "me" from partying.

31-Mar-20
I wasn’t plan on going so it doesn’t bother me. I just think some of this shut down stuff is ridiculous. So you can’t go turkey hunting out in the woods by yourself but you can go on an airplane and travel to wherever you want.

You can’t go get a haircut in a barber shop but you can go buy some joints from the pot shop Because alcohols and marijuana is “essential.” But not the little shop down the road that has 1 or 2 people in it normally.

Nothing has changed for my life. I still have to report to work at the fire station and continue to respond on calls that I will possibly get exposed and expose my family to the virus . We are taking the precautions but I’m not living in fear.

31-Mar-20
I think we're in for a long haul. I won't be surprised if we don't have a College or NFL football season this fall or any other large events such as concerts all the way down to smaller gatherings such as weddings and funerals. I hope I'm wrong. They are already cancelling events like marathons and IronMan that were scheduled into mid-June.

I think it's worth following the guidelines for the next month and stick close to home for any hunting or fishing. Hopefully, this doesn't affect our fall hunts but don't be surprised to see some NR hunting restrictions come September. These are going to be lifestyle changing times.

31-Mar-20
I'm fine with a state closing NR turkey hunting IF they close everything else to NRs. It's the inconsistency that is frustrating. I can hop in my camper and go to Lake McConaughy to camp, fish, boat, hunt mushrooms, make sand castles, but can't hunt turkeys there. That's the stupid part. Close it all, or not.

Then again, WY is a trendsetter with that garbage, closing wilderness areas to NR hunting, but not camping, fishing, berry picking, flower sniffing.

31-Mar-20
Ermine the marijuana cracks me up it was illegal a few years ago now it is essential. I would love to a reporter ask our light in his loafers governor just that "how was something illegal a few years ago now essential. Bet he would trip on his tongue.

I predict this all ends with rioting in the streets in many major cities across the country.

31-Mar-20
NE is honoring existing licenses correct? Just not issueing new ones? There is no place to stay for a NR either way.

31-Mar-20
I have a pretty good tent

31-Mar-20
Yes although they may close Public ground to discourage visitors.The Outfitters won't be allowed to house hunters most likely.

31-Mar-20
Correct if you have a license you can use it.

I stay in my camper or a tent. But what do you think the guy that runs a small motel in rural NE is worried about. Covid or his empty motel with a mortgage and payroll that is due?

31-Mar-20
The way I look at it, I can only control MY bubble, I can't control the bubbles of others. I live in an area that is about as rural as you can find in Colorado, so my bubble is small. I've made exactly 2 trips to town for gas and supplies in the last month. My wife has done the same. Each time we've ventured away from our bubble, we wore disposable gloves, and have disinfected everything that we've brought into our bubble from the outside with 99% isopropyl alcohol, even mail and other deliveries.

I've bailed on a fishing trip with 4 buddies that was scheduled in 3 weeks. I love my fishing buddies, but I figured it was senseless and selfish to expose myself and my wife to 4 other households by sharing a cabin with people who have a larger bubble than mine. Not to mention the exposure to other public areas, like gas stations, grocery stores, etc... We've also cancelled our month-long trip to Florida in May. I'm addicted to tarpon fishing as much as any one, but I'm addicted to life more.

So, that's the small part I'm doing to help fight this invisible enemy. I wish some of you would step up and join the fight. .

Matt

31-Mar-20
Very well put Matt....thank you

31-Mar-20
We're fighting the fight alongside you, Matt. We're heading over to our lake to walleye fish this evening and will wash our hands with sanitizing soap for 20-30 seconds after we fillet them.

31-Mar-20
I’ll send you pics Matt :)

31-Mar-20
Conner, please do. I'll gladly live vicariously thru you, my friend.

Matt

31-Mar-20
Unfortunately, for many reasons & having been fortunate to have lived many years I have waved farewell to young & old family & friends. Many times, with the young, I question why? I hope none of us have to endure such a loss but I fear with this virus some may. If it happens to be from stupidity on another's part, God take pity on us all.

31-Mar-20
If self-rightiousness could cure Covid we could bottle this thread and inoculate the world.

31-Mar-20
It’s a shame to see so many on here that I’ve come to respect their opinion be so stupid about this virus.

My brother told his FIL, think of 6 of your closest friends. Now, who do you want to not be here next month? This crap is real folks. Have several family members in health care and they are scared. Worst thing is, there’s no end in sight.

I love to hunt as must as any of you, but there’s no animal worth my life. I love my family more than that.

31-Mar-20
Well It is what it is I was planning a trip this yearI guess I’ll try next year. Stay healthy everyone

31-Mar-20
My brother told his FIL, think of 6 of your closest friends. Now, who do you want to not be here next month? This crap is real folks. Have several family members in health care and they are scared. Worst thing is, there’s no end in sight.

That's an 18% mortality rate. Where did you get that number. Currently 1.8% not 18%. Am I missing something here??? This is for "people that become infected".

31-Mar-20
"We all remember the warnings about how masturbation would make us go blind...."

OK, how many guys you know didn't get glasses until they'd been married five or ten years? --------------- Closing deer and elk seasons, now, would make no sense because we probably won't have nearly as many contagious people by then. And it's the contagious factor in this that makes it so difficult. If you want to be stupid and step in front of a car and get hit. Fine...but it's not contagious. With this disease, you may step in front of the car, not get a scratch but kill a neighbor and put three more in the hospital for two weeks.

We have a town of maybe 1,000 in eastern Kansas. Covid is making its way through a nursing home. Where did it come from? Who knows? Remember, 22 died in one facility in Washington.

Our daughter had a friend have some scary times, but she'll make it. She's two-months along and her unborn child now has a brain tumor. No clue if it's from the virus.

The guy she got the disease from was fine when she worked with him. No symptoms. Very healthy. No "conditions"....dead in less than seven days. Several others at the hospital were also infected by him. So, they're in isolation, various degrees of illnesses, but can't see their spouses or children for at least two weeks. The hospital is scrambling to find staff to take their place until they're in the clear.

This is a totally different beast than we've dealt with. Look at the refrigerated trailers filled with dead bodies in NYC, sick having to go to tents in parking lots.

No time to panic. Social isolation has worked well in other pandemics and other countries during this one.

We just need to be patient...and not think we know more than the medical professionals.

31-Mar-20
I learn a lot from this site and the biggest thing is " You can't fix stupid!". The only thing that surprises me is some of the comments from guys who I respect from their writings and such, their the ones that really bother me. The guys like Beav and some others I already new fall into the can't fix category! Lucky Ignorance is bliss for many! Shawn

31-Mar-20
Here is a little question I am going to ask, figure it out and than relate it to the virus!! HOW MANY DAYS DOES IT TAKE TO TURN A PENNY INTO A MILLION DOLLARS IF YOU DOUBLE IT EVERYDAY ?? You may think I am nuts but do the math. It only takes 30 days. A penny!!!! Shawn

31-Mar-20
It actually only takes 28 days I believe. I am done now!! Everyone be safe!! Shawn

31-Mar-20
Shawn you don't sound crazy. You sound super upset!! Sounds like you are overwhelmed and overworked in NY. Get some rest, take care of yourself, so you can take care of others and your family. I imagine it's hell. God Bless. Bill

31-Mar-20
"The State of Colorado just got caught inflating the COVID death toll by reporting non-COVID deaths in the overall count. The Larimer County (my county) Health Department officials just publicly ratted them out."

This quote said it all for me. Talk about disingenuous !

Katie O’Donnell, spokeswoman for the county health department, clarified that there is just one death out of the 93 Larimer County residents who have tested positive for the coronavirus.

The other three deaths reported by the state are people determined to be “epidemiologically connected,” O’Donnell explained. That means they had symptoms and might have been exposed to the coronavirus but died without being tested.

“There’s no testing, no confirmation, no definitive,” said O’Donnell. “BUT ITS STILL CONSIDERED A (CORONAVIRUS) DEATH"

31-Mar-20
I'm still trying to understand how self-isolation in a camper in the turkey woods differs from self-isolation at home, when we heed the expert's advice and go outside for bike rides, hikes, fishing, etc...

31-Mar-20
Shawn I would like to know what I ever said on bowsite outside of this thread that has offended you? I realize this is a serious situation and well aware that this could last for several months. I still am with Lou in asking what’s the difference in isolating in a cottonwood grove in the middle of the Sandhills or in my home? Blessings to all!

31-Mar-20

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
My daughter and I did have a great hunt this evening! Take care everyone!

31-Mar-20
Lou,

Maybe they are concerned you might not remain isolated? Vehicle problems, hunting accident, heart attack etc. The possibility exists you may come into contact with others if you go, but no chance of that if you stay home.

31-Mar-20
^Congrats to both of you!!

31-Mar-20
The 1918-1920 "Spanish Flu" Pandemic kills 50 million worldwide and 675,000 Americans. It's 100 years ago and your thoughts might argue that it was at those levels because of the lack of technology and medicine...but, search for articles about that 1918 pandemic and you will find many similarities between then and now including the lack of technology and medicine today to fight the Coronavirus. As the saying goes..'it's Deja Vu all over again." History can be a great teacher, if heeded.

31-Mar-20
Wow Beav!

31-Mar-20
It's serious for sure.Its novel-you get exposed you will catch it.

But it's unrealistic from a disease point of view to compare NYC to rural Nebraska.Its like comparing a commercial broiler house to free range chickens.

It's common sense to not put a broiler on your farm.

Hopefully the rural areas of the US won't experience the peak before the curve flattens out.

31-Mar-20
Frank, nobody is staying isolated here either. We go to the big supermarkets, to the gas stations, to the pot stores (some, anyway) and liquor stores. People are hiking and biking on the trails in town, going about their business as much ad possible considering the closures.

Of course this is serious. We will learn much from this after the fact, like why did some places get it like gangbusters, while other places, like my county of 300,000, not get hit as hard. We have had one death from it, an 80 year old woman in a nursing home. This will be a good, but tragic, lesson on how to deal with another pandemic that could be far more deadly.

31-Mar-20
Habitat,

You can't have an accident or a heart attack at home? Your only valid example is vehicle problems but that's a stretch. What happens if your car breaks down while you're going to the grocery store to join the masses inside the store? Same deal.

If I was to cross over the CO/NE state line to turkey hunt I would have no contact with anyone. I'd be on private land also. A lot less contact with anyone than staying home and just walking the dog with the hoards of others in the neighborhood who now have nothing to do except walk the dog.

I do however understand them closing the sale of turkey permits in NE as not everyone would be in the same situation of zero contact as I am. I have a friend who's in the ICU with a ventilator down his throat. It's real.

31-Mar-20
You answered your own puzzle. It's real, don't gamble, stay home. There is zero chance of you taking something not already present if you don't go.

The model presented today says with shutting down, less than 300k die in the U.S. That's still more than 5-6 times what the annual flu kill is.

Without shutting down, 1.5-2 million die. That's unacceptable.

And really, how many people going to NE this time of the year to fish, camp etc? It's a numbers game, stop turkey hunters coming in and you probably stop the majority.

31-Mar-20
"I'm still trying to understand how self-isolation in a camper in the turkey woods differs from self-isolation at home, when we heed the expert's advice and go outside for bike rides, hikes, fishing, etc..."

If you can get all the groceries, gas, and supplies you need for your trip to the turkey woods without any additional trips to the store or gas station and with no additional direct or indirect human contact (or breathing in or exhaling air while in those places), probably none.

I bet all the folks fleeing the hot zones in NYC to neighboring states have the same rationale.

31-Mar-20
My wife put it well when we were tasked with the shelter in place order: "Your father and his father before him were asked by their country to go to war. You are being asked to sit on your sofa".

How f'ing hard is that?

31-Mar-20
Frank H4W and Matt nailed it!!

It's just not hard. STAY home. Let this play out. If the experts are wrong it's a win. If they are right it's a win

01-Apr-20
ground Hunter- your right. Bill Gates is smart. Also scary. He ran that pandemic model and showed what could happen. He is right thou. We need to be more reliant on ourselves and less on other countries like china.

But his plan of a worldwide vaccine and worldwide ID is a little Scary to me

01-Apr-20
Sent you a PM. Shawn.

Proud this has been a very civil discussion in very stressful times.

For those who ask about staying in a cabin. Well, they can't make rules for just each individual. It's turkey hunting. It's something most of us have done for years and will, hopefully do for more years. We have other things we can do.

These are uncertain times. Most of us who are bowhunters are independent cusses and it's not easy to follow directions that take us in the other direction.

I miss seeing my grandkids. We won't be able to fly to So Cal in a few weeks to see our daughter and her family, who we haven't seen in several months.

A friend's daughter had to postpone a wedding. Rather than walking down the aisle at a winery, that afternoon she'll be walking down the hallway of the KU Med Center, on a floor that's filled with Covid cases.

Who knows what will come next. A lot depends on how well people isolate and stay home. If things get tougher, we'll just have to adjust and have faith.

I do know that all I've heard from those who've been affected by Covid say the same thing - stay home. This is serious.

01-Apr-20

Rut Nut's Link
I think what most people have a problem with is the way these restrictions seem to be arbitrary and not very well thought out. California is a prime example. They are releasing prisoners from jail to prevent the spread, but then are rounding up the homeless and putting them into close contact in rec centers.

BTW, NY released inmates including sex offenders from a Monroe County jail and put them up in a local hotel and told the desk clerks to call them if the convicts tried to leave the hotel. WHAT????????????

With all these criminals going back out on the streets, they are only making a bad situation even worse! LOTS of bad decisions being made in the name of "public safety!" : (

01-Apr-20
I'll post this again.Consider listening to a Dr who may have treated more serious Covid cases than anyone else in the US rather than internet speculation.

https://www.wesmoss.com/news/an-important-covid-19-update-and-advice-video-from-dr-dave-price/

01-Apr-20
Beautiful bird your daughter killed Beav. Congratulations to you both!

As disappointed as I am about not being able to hunt NE this spring, I get it. The best and most responsible thing I can do for myself, my family and others is to stay home until all this passes, and it will. Some of us are in a position where our actions have a direct impact on this situation, some not. But we can all make a positive difference with PRAYER. Prayer matters! God bless.....

01-Apr-20
The issue I see on here is folks saying we have not had a lot of cases here and only one death, well my point is just wait. We literally had 3 positive cases at my work in the last 10 days. This morning 45 new ones. Why because we are starting to get tested. It was easier to buy a handgun here in NY than to get tested even if you had 9 out of 10 symptoms. So the folks who it hasn't effected or the areas it has not effected don't get too complacent. I pray it never comes your way but treat the situation like it is already there and everyone will be much safer!! Shawn

01-Apr-20

JL's Link
" We will learn much from this after the fact"

Jaq......I was thinking about that yesterday. I was thinking this showed our (and other countries) vulnerability to NBC attacks. Specifically the "B" piece of it. If a new, fast spreading biologic was dropped on us or we dropped one on our enemy, we now see the real world, likely crippling effect it would have. A real bad biologic would take out a country fast without the devastation of a nuke. A terrorist group with backpacks could take us out and we wouldn't know what happened till it was too late.

Is it possible the Chinese did this on purpose as a test run.....I don't know. Recall we did have some Chinese try to gain access to high profile places recently. Mara Lago comes to mind. Could be related, could be nothing related. I'm sure our intel folks have asked the same question(s) and looking to see if any dots can be connected. Maybe in the future we will find out if there was anything to what happened.

The attached national map from Weather Underground shows each county and the number of cases....or no cases at all. Just need to zoom it out to see the whole country. You can see the population centers (big cities) are the hardest hit. Alot of counties do not have any cases at all.

I said it before and I'll say it again....just follow the CDC guidelines and do not panic. Use common sense. If I go out I avoid crowds/people. I will go at odd hours when no one is around. I clean my hands alot and I won't touch my face until I washed, etc. Everyone's situation is different. I can safely go to the beach at sunrise or out in the woods or out in the boat....places I can be by myself and away from strangers. Other folks can't safely do things like that by virtue of where they live. I think some perspective is needed to understand many of us are in different situations/areas.

If no one hasn't noticed yet, the media loves body counts....at least where I'm at. It kind of reminds me of the VN War. I can clearly remember Walter Cronkite giving body counts each night. It almost seemed like he enjoyed it in a sick sense. The news channels here run the body counts at the bottom of the screen throughout the day when they do virus updates for the local counties. They neglect to tell you how many survived it. Yes, this virus can be deadly and kill you just as the flu can kill you, but ALOT (emphasis added) more people survive it than are killed by it. Step back, take a breath, do some house chores or honey-do's or shoot your bow in the back yard...we'll eventually get thru this.

01-Apr-20
I read an interview with a rancher in AZ ( I believe it was AZ ). He thoughts were pretty simple. He said their small community could easily isolate themselves and live off their stores for weeks, or months. That would keep them all safe and isolated from the virus, until some out of towner screws it all up for them.

I don't want to be that out of towner that takes a chance of unknowingly spreading to a relatively isolated community.

01-Apr-20
Shawn- yea with more testing Ofcourse we are gonna see how many more cases are there. It’s everywhere in my Opinion. I think the virus has been around for months probably since December. This doesn’t just appear in March and spread across the nation in a day. All sorts of people have had it already and will get it. I won’t argue that. But I will say I doubt the death toll Is as high as they predict. Our governor in Colorado said if we don’t shelter in place 30,000 people will die. I have a hard time seeing that the death toll would reach that. We have supposed deaths from it.

01-Apr-20
Shawn I think NY is past the testing phase-people with symptoms will just be considered positive by Drs.

01-Apr-20
25,000 people die every single day from starvation. Worldwide. Theres 7.7 billion people in the world. Starvation is preventable no? Could have fed a lot of people with that bailout/shutdown money. For some reason, those lives and deaths had no value to us.

I can't stand the news and this site has gotten insane too. You think we actually control things? Thats the funny part.

We should all just stay home forever, safest bet possible. No one will die from car crash or accidents, or murder. We could save so many lives!! What say you guys? Everyone at home forever?! No more danger, no risk, nothing can get you. We just cant risk anyone leaving ever again. They might die. What a great life!

We've been thru these things before as a people. Never through a shutdown like this though. We will see what the fallout from that is soon enough.

01-Apr-20
I was just as surprises to see the Hunting The Public and Pinhotti project as well as several other youtube hunters are still travelling all around the country hunting turkeys this spring and you wonder why NE would suspend selling NR licenses !!

01-Apr-20

writer's Link
SBH...the difference is how contagious this disease is. 3X the flu. If you go out and get hit by a car from stupidity. You die. That's it. It's not contagious. If this virus was like a car crash, you might walk away without a scratch, but kill your neighbor or put three friends I the hospital.

And we've never been through something, in our lifetimes, where we have refrigerated semi-trailers backed up to hospitals for the bodies, or had the sick staying in tents in parking lots, or states in bidding wars over medical supplies like ventilators.

The closest thing we had was the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918. During that one, several cities went into quarantine mode. Others did not. The final results were compelling.

01-Apr-20
If I get hit by a car I'm stupid? Ok.

Unfortunately the cost of life is death. People will die. We are not in control and they are absolutely not all preventable. Sorry.

Yes we have been through other pandemics. We never shut the whole world down. There will be a major cost to that, in my opinion. Not just financially either. Like I said, we shall see the fallout from that in time. The numbers show most will get the virus and be fine. LOOK at the stats. If you are older, or at risk you should stay home for a bit. Or if you are healthy but scared of getting it, stay home. Make the choice. It used to be a free America. These closures and especially the ones closing the outdoors.....thats scary stuff. Things people before us voluntarily GAVE their lives for! YES! They died for those freedoms you and I enjoy. Those freedoms came at great cost and by brave men making choices. Tomorrow is never a given. You have today.

01-Apr-20
CDC has some good advice.

I have some advice for them:

Given the history of "super flu" pandemics, going forward please use a tiny sliver of our money to have enough masks, other PPE gear and ventilators to get through the first few months.

01-Apr-20
As I suggested before, this will be a good learning experience. It's the arbitrary, inconsistent, and illogical responses by officials that make no sense.

Washington is scared of fishermen, but not turkey hunters. Nebraska is the opposite. Kansas is more scared of CO weed than either. Same with OK and WY. None of those states mind if I come hunting as long as I leave my pot home. Some states are locking law-abiding citizens in their homes while turning criminals loose.

Meanwhile here in CO, pot, liquor, and guns are considered "essential" but backcountry skiing is banned. The state got caught deliberately inflating COVID death rates, presumably to get more federal money.

I wonder what sort of response would be happening if we didn't have continuous 24-7 sensationalized news saturation from every possible medium? Has this amplified the perceived crisis beyond what actually exists? Time will tell.

01-Apr-20
SBH- that all sounds great until it’s you who needs a ventilator and you can’t get one so you slowly die in a bed without being able to see your family. If it were you that needed the ventilator and you were really close to dying I'm sure your last breath would not be “Tomorrow is never a given.” My guess is you, like me, would want to live and expect that your doctors would use all tools at their disposal to keep you alive. If the machines/treatment needed to help you live but they just weren’t available, I doubt your reaction would be “oh darn.”

01-Apr-20
Sorry Jaq, along with hunting, critical thinking has also been suspended. Please self-censor in place.

01-Apr-20
"We've been thru these things before as a people. Never through a shutdown like this though. We will see what the fallout from that is soon enough."

When? I think you will struggle answering that question.

01-Apr-20
Nebraska has no problem sending their fishermen into SD to use our waters. Minnesota has a "shelter in place" order. Guess how many hundreds of them are traveling across my state right now, ever single day coming from infested places like Minneapolis, etc to harvest our walleyes? None of this is shut down and none of it is being monitored. I find the hypocrisy of it to be borderline insane. Don't come here but we can come to you all we want. Anyone else see an issue with that? Yes, I do understand its an issue with SD not closing things down but our legislature just voted against giving counties and municipalities the ability to do that and our governor doesn't have the authority in our state constitution. Crazy times we are living in bowhunters.

01-Apr-20
Apparently San Juan and Gunnison counties just closed down public lands to non county residents. Not sure if this means national forest or just county land.

01-Apr-20
Maybe I read someone's stats wrong, but NY is not at 15 deaths an hour from Covid 19. They are at a 44,900ish cases, 1,140ish deaths, and jumped 43 deaths since yesterday. I'm not saying that's good, but it sure as heck isn't 15 deaths an hour.

01-Apr-20
Ironically, Paul is safer out there than those of us who stay here and have to make a Walmart run to get more Easter Bunny themed napkins since the TP isle is still empty.

01-Apr-20
Glunt- I am selling almost new TP only used once if you need some!

01-Apr-20
For those asking for similarities with 1918 flu outbreak that are being repeated today. This is one of many references available. https://www.insider.com/11-ways-the-covid-19-outbreak-similar-1918s-influenza-pandemic-2020-3

01-Apr-20
Screw turkey hunting, just go on a cruise instead.

01-Apr-20
Not sure of the legitimacy on that info. My buddy is from CO and has already filled all three of his NE NR tags with his bow. Unless this is something that has occurred in the last 5 or 6 days, I would say it's not true.

01-Apr-20
It's True Bowhunter. Nebraska sent me an email and a text that they were suspending sales of NR turkey licenses.

01-Apr-20
BINGO Brotsky!

01-Apr-20
It's definitely true and can be found on the Nebraska web site. As stated, if you've already got a tag you're good to hunt, but NR sales were shut down a day or two ago.

01-Apr-20
Where I live in Iowa pop under 25,000. Several cases, 2 Deaths, 50s. My Illinois home town 45 min away pop 10,000 several cases 1 Death (90). Basically everything shut down except carry outs & necessity places. From social media in our area everyone is pretty much following the guide lines. Wife & 1 Daughter are Nurses so when they come home we practice extreme care. We have no contact with family members & are pretty much on self lockdown to protect our families from the unknown. YES, we have some seemingly stupid rules coming out in hast BUT it's only there to hopefully protect us & the spread of something NEW, UNKNOWN & deadly. Rules that inconvenience us aren't going to kill us. Years ago a Navy Corpsman was standing under a tree in the shade talking to a Vietnamese interpreter. They were in a "safe" zone. Then, the Corpsman witnessed his friend slump over, dead as a sniper bullet had pierced his heart. There is NO safe zone from an invisible enemy. Do what you think is right but stay away from me & my loved ones. I do not want anyone around until we have more answers. Oh, & this is from Iowa's DNR newsletter I get..Iowa fishing and hunting regulations not affected by COVID-19

Iowa's hunting and fishing regulations are not affected by the current COVID-19 health emergency in Iowa. Despite rumors on social media channels, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has no plans to eliminate seasons, relax regulations or change license prices.

"Fishing and hunting regulations exist to protect human safety as well as wildlife populations over the long-term," said Dr. Dale Garner, Conservation and Recreation division administrator at the Iowa DNR. "We balance the long-term sustainability of Iowa's natural resources with the well-being of Iowans, and will continue to take a thoughtful, science-based approach to Iowa's hunting and fishing laws."

For more information about Iowa's hunting and fishing regulations, visit the Iowa DNR website: www.iowadnr.gov

01-Apr-20
Kansas is keeping the spring turkey hunt open but all NRs must self-quarantine upon arrival for 14 days prior to hunting and/or checking into a state park cabin. Refunds will be available for those no longer able to travel.

02-Apr-20
OK so based on this thread.....Nebraska won't allow us NR's to kill a bird with our bows even though we WERE going to hunt private land tomorrow with my 14 year old daughter. So tomorrow our plan is to head just 10 miles south to try and have her kill a turkey during KS youth gun season before that's shut down? This makes no sense and is really hard to explain to a 14 year old.

02-Apr-20
If the media/certain politicians hadn't cried wolf about so many other things. People might be taking this more seriously.

02-Apr-20
OK before ya'll hang me. We left CO with 80 gallons of fuel and all the groceries we need for 2 weeks. Haven't come in contact with one person and plan on camping the entire time until we get back to CO.

02-Apr-20
"Kansas is keeping the spring turkey hunt open but all NRs must self-quarantine upon arrival for 14 days prior to hunting and/or checking into a state park cabin."

This is for people traveling from certain areas and applies to residents as well.

"Turkey Season: All 2020 spring seasons will continue as planned, including the spring turkey season. Hunters traveling from states listed on the Kansas Department of Health and Environment’s “Travel Quarantine List,” referenced here http://www.kdheks.gov/coronavirus, must self-quarantine upon arrival for 14 days prior to hunting and/or checking into a state park cabin. Refunds will be available for those no longer able to travel."

This would apply to you, Quinn. Colorado is one of those states listed.

02-Apr-20
Im reading it that by the time your 2 week groceries are gone, you'll be able to hunt..

02-Apr-20
Define "self quarantine". If I go to Kansas and live in a tent (or camper) by myself and roam the woods and do not come in contact with other people. Is that a "self quarantine"? Would be interested to see if there was a definitive definition of "self quarantine" ion the Kansas mandate.

02-Apr-20
I don't understand why so many smart people are having a hard time grasping this. Your country asked you to sacrifice a little bit so many others can live. How selfish is it to defy those requests? I'm sure fourteen year old kids will get over it. We are asking this year seniors to accept it. "Me me me me!" It's shameful.

02-Apr-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

02-Apr-20
For all of you guys in the "but we're taking everything with us" crowd.... What good are you doing anyways? Most of these towns that rely on hunting revenue need you to spend money while hunting.... If you're not doing that, all you're doing is possibly bringing something into a community. You are not helping anyone or anything out except yourself. Definition of selfishness. All for an effin turkey? You possibly killing a turkey is more important than following guidelines from our President? You staying at home is not going to hurt anything. I understand having to go out for work, groceries etc but to travel just because you are "entitled" to it? Wow......

02-Apr-20
I think what many are struggling to grasp is how someone can be a dire threat to humanity while turkey hunting or fishing in one state, but one mile across the border in the next state, they are perfectly fine.

This is not our "country" asking us to make sacrifices. It appears to be some local officials making knee-jerk, arbitrary decisions. Yes, this is very serious. Yes, we need to be overly-cautious and avoid risk to ourselves and others. But clear-headed logic seems to be in as short supply in some places as protective gear.

In CO, you can go to a pot shop but not a big outdoor archery range. Are potheads less contagious than archers? Why should archers be forced to sacrifice while hemp-heads have a free pass? Why are hunting and fishing officially encouraged in some states, but banned in others? That's what we're talking about here.

02-Apr-20
As an educator, I have students who tell me all the time " my parents said I don't have to listen to you" or"my mom said if I don't want to do it, I don't have to." By the look of some of these posts I can tell who teaches their kids that frames of mind. It's disgusting. What are we teaching our kids? What we want to do is more important than what we are asked to do?

02-Apr-20
Our campgrounds are now closed in Nebraska. As far as turkey hunting goes, I am a resident of a southwest Nebraska, small town that happens to be the closest town to a large SWA that is very popular with nonresidents. I’ve never had a problem giving advice or helping nonresidents out on places to go. I appreciate the economic impact you have on us. We don’t have a positive case within 60+ miles of my house that I am aware of. I’d sure like to keep it that way. If it means restricting travelers from other states then so be it.

We offer awesome turkey hunting with easy to get tags and the option to buy 3 tags. Been doing it for years. We have cheap deer tags and a lot of them to offer the nonresident as well. If for one spring you can’t stay home for the health of the public then I don’t know what to tell you. If your state restricts me then I’m happy to oblige. We will welcome you back with open arms next year with the same great opportunities you have always enjoyed. As for me, I’m not going to go fishing at my sisters in SD or my annual trip to Minnesota. Not because I can’t but because it’s the right thing to do. It’s not about me as an individual l, it’s about all the individuals as a whole.

02-Apr-20
"Why are hunting and fishing officially encouraged in some states, but banned in others?" The 10th amendment gives states the right to do what they see fit for their citizens. "But Mom!!!! Johnny's mom lets him go to the rave! He's 12 like me. Why can't I go?"

02-Apr-20
Looks like the report of campground closures is inaccurate but it is being considered. https://www.ketv.com/article/nebraska-state-campgrounds-to-be-temporarily-closed/32012635?fbclid=IwAR0MWTXOGERbeXRRX47bOZm2Z8GDihca_QkE_Ofcdbp-Dp3OEjoolxJAw4c&src=app

02-Apr-20
What we're teaching our kids is that many public officials can't be trusted to make rational decisions, or to think clearly during a time of crisis. We're teaching them that alcohol and marijuana consumption are more important to their well-being than hunting, fishing, camping, and shooting bows.

Wilhillie, there's a reason why kids don't listen to authority figures. We're seeing more evidence of it every day. Are you telling your kids it's cool to smoke weed and get drunk but not to shoot bows? That's what our officials are telling our kids.

It's disgusting.

02-Apr-20
Maybe Colorado wants all the dead beat stoner pot heads to get sick and die off, so the dope shops stay open. All of the stoners I know grow their own anyway, so the dope shops are for tourists. So what if our leaders are making senseless rules? Ever been in the military? I did a lot of stupid shit in the military, asking myself, why are we doing this? Do the right thing, it's not hard to stay home. Just stay out of my local turkey spot!

02-Apr-20
Well said wilhille.

02-Apr-20
I think it is asinine that you guys in Colorado can't shoot your bow. That's freaking crazy. I haven't heard anything about that. Please provide a reference.

What reputable authority figure is saying to not shelter in place? The president? VP? SURGEON GENERAL? WHO? PLEASE TELL ME!!!! Who exactly is not making rational decisions? Or do these " irrational decisions" inconvenience you so therefore they are irrational?

02-Apr-20
"FCAA RANGE CLOSED

The City of Fort Collins has closed the outdoor range until further notice.  The entrance road is blocked and posted.  Please honor this closure until the City deems it acceptable to reopen.

Thanks,

FCAA Board of Directors"

But I can walk into a pot store and load up.

"What reputable authority figure is saying to not shelter in place?" Ummm, the state just announced this morning that they are ENCOURAGING people to go fishing. Nonresidents welcomed. So if you are deemed too dangerous in Nebraska, come here, get stoned, have a beer, and catch some fish!

02-Apr-20
Oh so you can shoot, just not at a range... Phew I thought they shut down shooting bows!!! Good grief man.

02-Apr-20
As far as I'm concerned, if you hunt, especially if you tag out, and are a non resident of Nebraska, you're a poacher.... tag in hand or not. POACHER

02-Apr-20
They shut down archery shops. So sure you can shoot your bow in your yard but you can’t go to a archery shop. They aren’t considered essential. But pot shops and liquor stores are considered “essential.” So you can go there.

I’m with Lou on this one. The message being sent is a little Off.

Sure close down turkey seasons, close whatever. But closing down for a few weeks doesn’t do anything to make the virus go away. The virus will still be around. So what then? Do we just stay closed down for the rest of our lives?

02-Apr-20

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
I originally would be there this week. Now I'm hanging out around a lot more people here in CO. while working. Been going every year since the early '90s. Omaha has dozens of flights arriving today including from NY. A handful of turkey hunters social distancing seems pretty safe compared to the people in relatively crowded planes and airports. This is a current pic of flights in the air in just part of the world. There is a huge connection between the CO front range and western NE. Many Nebraskans have family here and there is a lot of commercial connection since we are the closest big hub (closer than Omaha). A lot of folks travel here for medical stuff as well. Turkey hunting is likely a tiny fraction of the flow between us. Big deal to miss a year? No. Big deal that a handful are still going? No.

02-Apr-20
Inside city limits we can't shoot our bows in our yards, either. Indoor ranges are closed. So archery is essentially "banned". But we can blow bong clouds in our backyards, and that's perfectly fine.

This is what I'm talking about. And we expect kids (and adults) to trust the guidance of public officials? Especially after some of those same public officials got caught inflating the COVID death toll here too?

02-Apr-20
In my mind, it's pretty simple. No one is saying turkey hunting is more dangerous, or less essential than anything. They simply are identifying easy ways to discourage travel, which is a big part of spreading a virus.

With hunting licenses, it's easy to identify who definitely be traveling, non residents, and it's easy to pull the plug on sales.

If other industries were that cut and dry, they too would be closed/cancelled.

02-Apr-20
Dang willyhill you best take a breath buddy. Your gonna stroke out on us right here on bowsite. ??????????

02-Apr-20
Well I guess they essentially banned kids from playing here in my town because the parks are closed.... What are the kids going to do now? They can't play!!!!! It's banned!!!!!

I live in the middle of the city. I cannot shoot my bow in my yard. I haven't been to an archery range in over a year. But I haven't stopped shooting. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a majority of public lands are open, find a secluded, safe spot, and shoot your bow! Just don't congregate! Gee whiz man.

02-Apr-20
Did someone compare turkey hunting to attending a rave? Someone is doing something wrong when they go turkey hunting. :)

I had to look it up to make sure I knew what the heck it was and why a 12 year old shouldn't go.

This Topic has been locked. Thank you.

• Sitka Gear