KSflatlander 28-Apr-20
BULELK1 29-Apr-20
KSflatlander 29-Apr-20
400 Elk @Home 30-Apr-20
KSflatlander 30-Apr-20
jstephens61 30-Apr-20
Sawatarman 18-Nov-22
05-Apr-20
I’m considering buying a travel trailer (bumper pull) for elk hunting. Features I’m looking for includes heated underbelly, bunk beds, couch, dinette, sofa, and outdoor kitchen if possible. I’m pulling it with a 1/2 ton so I’m trying to stay under 6,000lbs (empty).

I’m looking at a 26ft Dutchman Aspen Trail or Highland Open Range. Anyone have experience with these trailers or brands?

05-Apr-20
I do not have any experience with travel trailers. My bro in MT does. He said do not buy one unless it is rated as a 4 season or all season trailer. That is it is fully insulated top to bottom. He said many are not fully, truly insulated throughout and they can get cold. I suspect you'd have to know what manufactures make these 4 season, totally insulated travel trailers.

05-Apr-20
After much research, last spring I bought a used Creekside which is made in Oregon. Extra heavy frame and axles, fully insulated underbelly and hard walled fibreglass walls. My choice was a twenty foot rear window model built for two. My wife slowly morphed that into a twenty six foot with separate bedroom in the front, rear bedroom with three bunks and a small slide in between with table and couch that make into beds. All that so we could take grandkids and our kids could take theirs.

One thing to remember. The wider and deeper slides are, the more problems they create. Leaks, structural and mechanical.

05-Apr-20
I just bought a 2018 Keystone 240 UL that has everything you are looking for, plus a toyhauler section. The toyhauler part makes a great storage-mudroom-gear shed, and has two fold down bunks. The couch and dinette both convert into beds too. The slideout is in the rear, which is a king bed. Outdoor kitchen, heated underbelly, weighs just over 5,000 lbs. My F-150 pulls it like a champ, even over high mountain passes.

We looked for quite awhile before settling on this one. We have friends with one and they love it.

05-Apr-20
Lou- Thanks a bunch. I’ll look into the Keystone since I have a dealer about 5 miles from the house. I might need the toy hauler for my ebike storage ;)

05-Apr-20
Good quality pull trailers are keystone/Cougar $$$$, Nash is what I have $$$$. The best one you can buy and will be apparent 90 seconds after walking into it, is a Lance, $$$$$

Biggest pieces of junk I have seen to date are Forest River.

05-Apr-20
The 2020 Keystone 240 model doesn't have the outdoor kitchen, which was a big draw for us. Thats why we hunted down a lightly used one.

And the toyhauler holds both ebikes, both MTBs, float tubes, hunting gear, solar panels/generator and backup Honda generator. We really wanted that storage area. Since we don't have kids at home, we're converting the bunks into organizing shelves.

05-Apr-20
If you compare model to model you will not see much difference between brands as far as construction is concerned. If you compare a entry level to mid grade you will see a difference.

The main things to consider are floor plan, and amenities. Will the floor plan work for you, and will it do what I want it to with the appliances supplied.

If you have a heated underbelly it will be considered a four season unit.

In the short term, I wouldn't expect much in the way of customer service or warranty from most companies as most are currently working from home, working on a skeleton crew, or simply shut down due to the virus. Most of the major companies are fairly easy to work with under normal conditions. Grand Design is one company who is notably easy to work with.

TPO roofs typically require less maintenance , see less streaking, and are easier to clean than comparable EPDM roofs. We still recommend checking the roof at least every 6 months to see if any sealants need replacing. There are two kinds of RV's, ones that you know have leaked, others that you don't know have leaked. Make sure to know that it has leaked and fix it in a timely manner and you will be good to go.

Solar and or another way to recharge your battery will be important if you are running your refrigerator, even if it is on propane, and especially for your furnace.

05-Apr-20
Backpack Hunter, sent you a pm. Thanks in advance!

05-Apr-20
Haven't seen Lou's trailer but spent time in cnelk's toy hauler. Perfect size for a couple of guys and I really like the layout.

05-Apr-20

RowdyBuck's embedded Photo
Here is my Elk hunting rig. Stealth Nomad, it's Toy hauler 1st but has some good camper amenities. I bought it with Elk Hunting in mind. Needed it strong enough to go up some tough mountain roads and I wanted to haul out a UTV & ATV. It has a kitchenette, Bathroom with shower, Stove, Microwave, Fridge, AC, Heater, TV, and solar power ready. Fully insulated for those cold mountain nights. Used it for the first time last year and loved it. My Ford with 3.5 Ecoboost pulled it out without a problem with a Polaris Ranger and Grizzly 4 wheeler loaded in it. Definitely glad I had the Weight distribution and sway control on though.

05-Apr-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I bought this 17’ Wolf Pup toy hauler last year. It’s perfect for a couple guys. I also set up a 10x12 wall tent for extra gear or a guy if needed.

I have a 1/2 ton GMC truck and it pulls it real nice

05-Apr-20
One thing that's pretty important to me is a real oven. My first camper didn't have one, second one did, and every one afterward has had one. If you're only out for a week its not that big of a deal. But I spend up to a month in mine, over 60 days a year some years, and having that amenity can add a lot of convenience and variety to meals.

05-Apr-20
One thing is sure, what one man will call "junk" someone else will say is the "best".

While doing some research on slide out problems (after having a problem) I quickly discovered that the internet is full of really, really bad advice! I spent my entire working life, almost fifty years, maintaining and repairing equipment and machinery. And a big part of that was not just fixing it, but understanding why it needed fixing and if it could be improved upon. Part of being improved upon was also understanding what that improvement might mean to related components. No sense 'improving" a small repair job to create a bigger or more expensive repair somewhere else down the line.

When the drive coupling on my slide failed, I built my own that was more robust and serviceable. I also added a safety lock in case of the now unlikely event of another failure in the driveline. This lock not only prevents the slide from coming out it solves the problem that causes the coupling or motor from failing to start with.

Working on my own unit and having two good friends that are RV technicians has taught me one thing. RV's are as junky as they can be and still sell!! Pick your poison.

05-Apr-20
^Good tips above. Anyone ever have ground clearance issues on log/mountain roads? One thing I have noticed about travel trailers....they sure do depreciate fast.

05-Apr-20
Depends on the road. But going through deep dips can be a real problem for jack clearance. Best to take them at an angle if possible.

05-Apr-20
Arctic Fox is supposedly the best.

05-Apr-20
My first camper I had the axles flipped. Lots more clearance then.

05-Apr-20
^^^ although it can make it a little top-heavy, as I learned as I was going upside down on I-10 at about 70 mph...

05-Apr-20
I ordered a Cargo Mate cargo trailer with the high clearance Dexter Axle. Think all it was was taller spring shackles. That gives me about the same clearance as my stock F350. Don’t know if that is an option on a toy hauler or not.

05-Apr-20
Man, I've been all over the map on the travel trailer spectrum over the years. My dad still has a 24' we use when I go on hunts with him, but I've sold mine and moved onto the cargo trailer route. The reasons I've gone that way: 1. I spend a majority of my time backpacking/spiking out when I'm out hunting. 2. I got tired of hauling all that dead weight around. 3. But... I still wanted a dry, secure way of hauling all my gear around and keeping it safe and locked. 4. I do like to have a nice dry space to sleep in while on the road. I use cots in the trailer. 5. I really don't like to cook inside when I'm out hunting anyway. 6. Travel trailer showers suck anyway. 7. I'd rather sh*& in the woods any day. 8. I can spend the extra $15-20k on hunting gear and things like bikes.

05-Apr-20
All that I know is what I read in their advertisement, but the Western Range Camps made in Utah are interesting to me. It will cost you nothing to go to www.westernrangecamps.com to check them out.

05-Apr-20
Thanks for all the tips. I do like the Keystone UL 240. Thanks Lou.

I’m open to more suggestions.

05-Apr-20
Man, a camper is an expensive piece of equipment just for elk season. I used mine all summer and fall. Last time I used it was November for 3rd season rifle deer. It was 4 degrees outside and it was awesome inside.

06-Apr-20
I have s 2019 KZ 180RBT. This is Hybrid travel trailer, the 3 beds are the fold out tent material, similar to pop up, but that does add more space in the trailer. Between family camping and hunting I spend about 40 days in this trailer, I do utilize a 100 watt solar panel to keep battery full and I installed 12v heat pads to the underside water pipes (black and gray) the underbelly is enclosed and the fresh water tank is mounted inside under one of the dinette seats. The trailer is fully insulated (walls, floor and roof) aside from the bunks, but even so, it stays cozy in there with heater on. I did install a digital thermostat. A couple of factors for deciding on this particular trailer; the large fidge/freezer, large bathroom with it's own sink and shower stall (it's nice to de-funk every couple of days during hunting season), the majority of water lines installed inside the trailer not running outside, the solar prep and the extra space the tent bunks provide.

06-Apr-20
Cnelk- it will not be used for just elk hunting. The wife and I will use it for backpacking trips too. Also my in-laws live on lake of the Ozarks and we will use it there also. That’s why we want to find one that fits all situations.

You really think the boss would let me buy a camper just for one elk hunting trip per year lol.

06-Apr-20
If my wife would have allowed it, I definitely (add ten more definitely's to that) would have bought a very good quality cargo trailer and converted it. A V-nose and it would have a "full size" RV fridge/freezer right in the middle of the nose and kitchen built around that.

My second choice would have been a used Airstream.

06-Apr-20
my favorite is a 22h , made by Nash, Arctic Fox, and they have some other brands that build the same model. Personally , i still like cooking outside on a camp chef stove, i think they have an oven also.. but whatever works for you. I'll add the wife didn't like climbing over me in that unit, so we have a larger one now with a walkaround queen , but its a little long for pulling up small mountain roads

06-Apr-20
I have a toy hauler and a pickup camper. I am sure there are spots, but personally I have never been on a forest service road I was excited to pull a toy hauler down.

Last year the road was so skinny I ripped the camper jack off the camper. Cost 3500 to repair. 4th time I have done that.

My advice, whatever you get, buy used. Thousands buy new campers every year, never use them, and resell for thousands less. Rvtrader.com

06-Apr-20
I have a toy hauler and a pickup camper. I am sure there are spots, but personally I have never been on a forest service road I was excited to pull a toy hauler down.

Last year the road was so skinny I ripped the camper jack off the camper. Cost 3500 to repair. 4th time I have done that.

My advice, whatever you get, buy used. Thousands buy new campers every year, never use them, and resell for thousands less. Rvtrader.com

06-Apr-20
+1 on buying used. Let the first owners work out the bugs. I've bought five travel trailers lightly used, saved thousands on each. The Keystone 240 was a little over a year old, basically like new, bought it from a small dealer in Utah for $10K less than new. When we got home we found a few issues (short in the taillights, furnace switch needs replacing) so the dealer paid an RV place here locally to fix everything rather than making me bring it back over there, or saying "too bad, sold as-is".

Every time but one it was the same story from the previous owners - they bought it, used it a time or two, decided it wasn't for them.

06-Apr-20
Grasshopper- great advice and I’ve been looking at rvtrader. Thanks

06-Apr-20
Cool thread. I've wanted something for a few years myself. I'm getting old enough, a bed sounds pretty amazing. A toilet and shower are HIGH on my list, as well as enough room for a full size Polaris Ranger. That's basically my requirements.

If I was handy at all, I'd convert a cargo trailer. But I can barely tie my own shoes, so converting a trailer is kindof out of my comfort zone. :)

07-Apr-20

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
I bought a used 1995 Holiday Rambler Alumilite for $1300. It's been quite the project and not without some serious werewolfing explicatives.

While it looks like the bus from the movie Slapshot, it's pretty incredible inside now.

Started like this

07-Apr-20

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
and ended up like this

07-Apr-20
Wow, nice!

Ryan,

Don't forget it needs room for your third hunter;-)

07-Apr-20
The Keystone UL's have issues not many talk about and you may be SOL if it happens once the 1 year warranty expires unless your dealer covers it. The issue is the seams. Make sure you inspect regularly. Corner seams, horizontal seams, roof seams etc. Anywhere a panel comes together. Unless they've taken qc measures in the factory, it could be an issue. How do I know? I have a 2015 Keystone Passport UL. And the front panel had to be replaced because water somehow got behind the panel. The material swelled and was literally coming apart at the seams. The factory did not and would not cover it which tells me alot about Keystone. At first the dealer wanted me to pay for it. Being a construction superintendent, I know that noone wants to hear that 4 letter word mold. As soon as I mentioned mold, they offered to take care of the costs promptly. Check the seams. Check the windows. Recaulk regularly with a Sika type commercial caulk. And this is probably true with any ultralight. Now I do think your environment plays into it. It gets very hot in NM and we can have 50-60 degree temp swings on a given day creating expansion and contraction.

07-Apr-20

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
Thanks Ryan !

It has three beds. There's a room in the back separate from the fornt. It has two beds that I custom built to fold out for multiple options. can be a single and twin, single and queen, twin and twin or all one all the way across.

Its only a 22' trailer and about 4850 lbs, but they don't make anything like it any more. Bedroom in the back, shower and kitchen in the middle and a table couch chair set up up front. It's one of the reason's I haven't wanted to buy a new one.

07-Apr-20

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
Definitely a killer hunting rig with the axles flipped. Sucks to tow that sail with the F150 though when the wind is blowing :)

Fixing one up is a great way to go if you have some skills with tools and a $&!# load of fortitude. The way they build these things can really piss you off when you have to fix something.

Cheers, Pete

07-Apr-20
Nice work, Pete!

07-Apr-20
Thanks for the heads-up Trophyhill. From the Keystone forums, this seems to be a problem with the Passport models for some reason. Haven't seen anyone posting about leaking issues with the Outback, but as with all travel trailers, I'll be diligent about watching for it.

07-Apr-20
I did this exact same research just a few years ago. After a few months of research I settled on Northwood Manufacturing (Nash and Arctic Fox) for a true 4-season trailer. I purchased the Nash 24M because I preferred that floor plan the best. It also has the winter windows package along with incredible insulation qualities. I’ve had absolutely zero complaints to date. My wife and I lived in it for four months while our retirement home was being built. Weathered a few snow storms and cold days with no issues. Just another option to look into.

07-Apr-20
Northwood Manufacturing makes some nice looking travel trailers. I'll keep them in mind.

07-Apr-20
I bought a Lance travel trailer over 2 years ago. I've hunted in cold weather where the 3 other campers in camp had frozen tanks and lines. 1 of the 3 was rated 4 seasons and it still had water lines freeze. My camper was the only one that didn't freeze at all. I've owned 2 other travel trailers before and this one is the best by far. The only draw back is the price, but I don't regret spending the money.

07-Apr-20
I’ve see really good reviews on Lance.

HFW/Frank- I forgot to respond. I will have room for you for sure. Always room for the good guys. I got a spot for you in Idaho this year if you want it.

07-Apr-20
You are a good man Ryan, maybe some year in the future. GL, have fun looking.

07-Apr-20

07-Apr-20
You’ll know the difference in the Lance not long after walking into it. They’re solid, noticeably more than the others. And there’s no rubber gap molding between walls and cabinets. They are expensive though.

08-Apr-20
Yes sir Jaq. I bought mine for working out of town, and my January deer hunts. I don't mind a tent in September. I actually prefer it. I prefer the camper on cold January nights though.

08-Apr-20
If you can't find anything at rvtrader, Facebook marketplace has tons of RV's, and so does craigslist. With Facebook, you know who the seller is upfront, so you have some recourse and safety over the anonymity of craigslist.

Some guys say they don't do facebook, but there is a lot for sale on marketplace with smoking deals to be had. Reason to get on it!

08-Apr-20
Agree with Grasshopper on fb marketplace. It's been my 'go to' lately and I've gotten some great deals.

12-Apr-20
I bought my truck and fifth wheel from Facebook marketplace listings, and my Casita was with a Craigslist ad (plus a couple of cars and a truck before that). After I contacted the seller, they all became in-person transactions. No online transfers or any e-commerce. Our title transfers were done at local banks with the notary present. So far so good...

12-Apr-20
A cargo trailer conversion is a great idea. But unfortunately, many dont have the 'skills' to complete to the project.

I was going to go that route, but I ended up getting a GREAT deal on my camper I couldnt refuse. I ended up saving $4,000 by being patient and having cash in hand.

13-Apr-20
The only thing I can add is make sure it has a man's size toilet. Some of the builder put cheap, too small toilet in the units.

13-Apr-20

chasinbugles's embedded Photo
Exterior
Exterior
I opted for converting a cargo trailer. I have the option to use it for a small camp or use it for a cook shack/gear hauler for bigger camps.

13-Apr-20

I added the kitchen and heater

13-Apr-20

It has a pop out bed on each side and I still have room for two cots on the inside

13-Apr-20

My hunting buggy fits in the back end pretty good

13-Apr-20

I have aluminum storage box on front that I can haul small Honda generator or I can remove aluminum box and haul Honda 3000 watt generator if I need the AC

13-Apr-20

The interior and exterior led lights will run for almost a week using just in the mornings and evenings on a single battery charge.

13-Apr-20

The trailer weighs 3500lbs empty. I don’t have shower or toilet to have to worry about winterizing and I can easily get all my gear inside.

13-Apr-20

Here is a better pic of the pop out

13-Apr-20
Chasingbugles- that is an amazing build. Did you pucker making the first cut for those fold out beds?

13-Apr-20

I will admit that I probably could have bought a nice used toy hauler by the time I was finished building this project but this suits my purpose better. I really liked the Stealth Nomads but they were considerably more than what I have invested in this trailer although my trailer doesn’t have near the options or equipment.

13-Apr-20
I ordered the trailer with the fold out beds already installed. I pretty much just built the cabinets, installed battery/converter system, propane system, generator mount on front, added stabilizer jacks and exterior lighting.

13-Apr-20
Chasin....great work! Looks excellent.

13-Apr-20
Wow chasin, that is a very fine conversion! That would be my first choice. What length trailer is it? Have you scaled it all done?

14-Apr-20

BULELK1's Link
Damn Nice cb.

I've been looking at this model to tow behind my 1/2 ton JP Gladiator.

Prices have really been dropping in the last 6 weeks.

Be Safe and stay Healthy,

Robb

14-Apr-20
The trailer is 8x18 and the v-nose is an additional 3’. The interior height is 78”. One thing I forgot to mention was I had the trailer dealer add a 4” lift for better ground clearance. R&R carriage in Illinois built the trailer for me and delivered it to within a couple hours from my house. They pretty much had the best deal on all aluminum cargo trailers within a 10 hour drive from home.

28-Apr-20

KSflatlander's Link
Update on my odyssey to find a travel trailer I can use for elk hunting and camping with the family. I am purchasing a used 2018 Dutchman Kodiak ultralight 255BHSL. It weighs just over 5000lbs so my Ram 1500 should handle it. It has the 4 season package with enclosed heated underbelly. No outdoor kitchen but for the price I paid I overlook it. It’s not really 4 season but it should handle the mountains in September. It does have a lift kit on it so hopefully that helps. Should be a nice base camp to come back to.

I got plenty of room for you Frank (Habitat for Wildlife). I got room for a few more so who wants to go camping with a liberal? JohnMC are you in? I’ll come through CO and pick you up as long as you wear that OU flatbrim. Anybody? Come on...you know you would love too. Liberals are much more fun.

29-Apr-20
Damn Nice!!

Enjoy,

Robb

29-Apr-20
That is very nice Ryan!

I would hunt or camp with you without something that nice, but heck yes I am in for that elk hunt. Thanks for the invite!

We just won't talk economics, wolves or flat brimmed hats. LOL!

29-Apr-20
Since I'm liberal, of course I will expect you to pay for everything and do all the work.

We won't talk wolves...we will hunt them.

30-Apr-20
I know you better than that. Your generosity is second to none.

You will create some great memories with your hunting set-up, have fun.

30-Apr-20
Anybody have any history/issues with a Forest River Wolf Pup or Grey Wolf? I am looking to by a trailer this year and I am torn between Small Lance 1575 to tow with my Tacoma or get bigger tow vehicle, toy hauler and quad? I have seen a few mixed reviews on the forest river trailers and was looking for real world experience. I like the layouts and size but was concerned with reliability and quality.

30-Apr-20
I looked at Gray Wolf too but passed on them due to the weight per foot compared to others. I see a lot of them around. Believe me when I say you will get a wide range of reviews and opinions on all campers. Lance trailer did have some of the better reviews but the price is higher too. You have to pay for above average quality.

I seriously consider the Outback that Jacuomo recommended. Seems like a good setup. I hunt wilderness areas so I don’t really need a toy hauler. Even if not use to haul an atv you could use the space for storage.

Good luck. Let use know what you decide.

30-Apr-20
We have a 42’ FR Wolf Pack toy hauler. Pulled it twice to Wyoming, twice to Tennessee, Florida and Alabama. Holds both our quads, washer/dryer and a small freezer. It’s the perfect base camp for our hunting. Set it up then spike out from there. Sure is nice to come back every few days to a hot shower and clean clothes.

18-Nov-22
The choice of a tourist trailer depends on many factors. First, you must decide on the dimensions that will be acceptable for your light car. Secondly, you must choose the optimal layout that will be comfortable for you and your family. There are many variations in the design and arrangement of furniture inside the trailer, so it is necessary to study the options presented. I like to travel, but I travel by plane for long distances. Last summer, my wife and I flew to Madrid and even went on several free excursions that we found on https://www.freetour.com/madrid.

• Sitka Gear