35-Acre 09-Apr-20
35-Acre 09-Apr-20
Jaquomo 09-Apr-20
mick 09-Apr-20
Handle 17-Apr-20
Ziek 17-Apr-20
Duke 18-Apr-20
08-Apr-20
Like the rest of you, I have a BUNCH of pics.

How and where do you save them - mine are scattered in different areas, mostly labeled - some not, some on thumb drives, some on floppy discs.

I saw an advertisement for a something called a "photo stick". Has anyone tried this?

I really would like to put them all in one "clump".

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

08-Apr-20
I'm a tad OCD about this. I love my family and hunting pictures. And they are irreplaceable to me. After a talk with an insurance agent buddy, who also happens to have lost his home in a tornado, he told me that the biggest losses people have are their pictures when they lose a home. Everything else is replaceable more or less (except of course hunting trophies)

So, I'm self-employed, and my computer system at work is set to back up to the Cloud. We use Dropbox, so i can access my files from the Cloud anywhere in the world from a phone, tablet, computer, etc.

ALL of my family and hunting pictures are saved to our Dropbox account on the Cloud. Literally like 150 gig of pictures.

THEN, about every year or 18 months, as I add family cell pics, and hunting pics, and travel pics, I copy those new photos to a thumb drive, and place those thumb drives in my safety deposit box.

So I'm double-backed up.

Kind of a pain to back them all up, but worth it to me

08-Apr-20
Someday, if I ever get the time, I need to scan in a bunch of pictures from pre-digital days, which would be my childhood, and my parents pictures from way back. I guess I'm just not too hung up on saving pictures of myself when I was 4 :)

08-Apr-20
Google Photos is my go to for daily stuff. A solid state hard drive is my physical backup. If you use a hard drive to back up MAKE SURE it is a solid state drive. A disc drive it is not if but when it will fail.

Cell phone pics download google photos and it will do it automatically. Had a phone crash and was so thankful most pics were backup on there. Lost the couple weeks of photos cause I was lagging a bit behind. Thankfully all my big fish pics get texted to friends, so I was able to get those back lol ;)

08-Apr-20
I created a "bobs-docs" folder over 20 years ago. Everything goes into sub folders off that main folder. All my hunting stuff, google earth data, onx, pictures, hunting notes, etc, etc. A cpl times/year I'll move all the pics from my phone over to it, then backup that main folder to an external usb drive.

08-Apr-20
I’m old fashioned. For some reason, in 1974 I bought a photo album and put some hunting pics in it. Fast forward, I have five 4” three ring binders full of hunting pics. And there is no end in sight. I do have a lot of e photos as well.

08-Apr-20
copy phone pics to computer, organized by year. Back that up to SSD drive.

08-Apr-20
Android Phones in my house. So we use Google Photos. Phones are set to automatically back photos up via WiFi. So when you're out taking pics, once you get back home, they automatically go up to "the cloud" (online). I then share my photos from Google Photos with my wife and vice versa from "the cloud" side of things.

For my older photos, I took photos of them. I actually did that with a lots of memorabilia that I had that was deteriorating (papers like stuff from family tree, etc.). I use the camera for all sorts of things, photos of passports, Driver's licenses in case while traveling they get stolen/lost. In the case I also lose my phone at the same time, it's all in my Google account in "the cloud".

For my own Sh!ts and giggles, I also have a 128GB micro SD card in my phone that has all of my photos in folders by year (a touch of OCD - but those are the same ones backed up in my google account - I just rename the "camera folder" every January 1st to the previous year).

08-Apr-20
I have a 1 Terabyte accessory hard drive, been storing photos on there for 10 years.

08-Apr-20
Elk.

I used to do that and the drive enclosure physically had some issues after 5 or so years. Being in the tech industry I was able to fix it. After that I decided to get my stuff externally to my house and onto a service who's reputation is bigger than mine.

I spent a couple days putting it altogether. It was worth it.

08-Apr-20
Similar to Dale06 is where I am. Once a year I hard-copy a few select photos of each hunt or fish trip and scrapbook them with state, area, date, etc., creating a log of where we went and when. In the last 45 years or so I have always taken each of my sons on a big game hunt in one of the western states. As stated earlier these would be irreplaceable ( especially if not backed up ). For me, these albums are some of my most prized possessions along with our mounts that bring back many cherished memories. Bob, thanks for starting this thread as it reminded me of how much I enjoy my photos.......Bob (ever notice how many Bobs are on here ?)

08-Apr-20
Make sure you back up your onx, gps, and google earth data as well.

08-Apr-20
35 acre... What service is that?

09-Apr-20
After every trip I do a Folder of that specific trip and save it on my Desk top with a specific title.

I too need to scan a ton of pix from the ole 35 camera days....

Good luck, Robb

09-Apr-20
Thanks everyone.

09-Apr-20

35-Acre's embedded Photo
35-Acre's embedded Photo
KC9 I'm a big fan of the google products. I realize that not everyone is. To recap, basically if I use my Android phone to take pics (which any android phone is linked to your gmail/google), you just have to set your photos to automatically backup. I've attached a pic here to try and show that setup.

Once I have that done, then I go into Google and launch the photos app and share my library with my wife's gmail/google account. I'm on my work network so I can't get to google photos to take those screen shots to show the sharing piece of that. If you're familiar with the way to share google calendars, it's basically the same thing (my wife and I share calendars and we have the kids sports calendars loaded so we all know what the h3ll is going on any given day).

I then use all of this to take photos of my old photos too (so I don't have to scan them). I move them into a "memories" album up on Google once they are backed up.

09-Apr-20

35-Acre's embedded Photo
35-Acre's embedded Photo
Trying a "bigger image"

09-Apr-20
I periodically back everything up on a 1 TB external drive, then keep it in a fireproof safe. Also use thumb drives. I trust the Cloud to an extent. But my career was as an executive in big Silicon Valley technology. I was on the 2 a.m. angry senior executive conference calls when the spit would hit the fan with Comcast after a software upgrade crash. At various times my companies built the giant storage arrays, the streaming servers, transcoding engines, the big routers that are used to power the world today. As bomb-proof and redundant as we tried to build everything, there is nothing that's honestly more than 99.9% reliable, despite the five-nines reliability we had to sign up for.

Trust but verify. Thats why I have multiple backups of anything I value, besides the Cloud.

09-Apr-20
You want to see a younger fella freak out. Go on a guided hunt get a " younger fella" as a guide. After success getting ready to take some trophy pics. and I pull out a film camera that has to be advanced.

17-Apr-20
Saving photos in various albums is a very interesting thing to do! You can express any of your emotions in a photo and share the most important moments with friends. Bot what if your drivers are not OK? Get the latest versions on https://thinkmobiles.com/blog/best-free-driver-updater/ with database of carambis are 230.000.That all you need to be in touch with modern photo making.

17-Apr-20
I have an extensive library and use Lightroom Classic for post production and archiving. My Mac uses Time Machine to back up to two different backup discs. One, I store off sight and I switch out with a third every 3 to 6 months. I also export all my photos to Photos on my iMac and on a Mac mini. So I have several back ups.

18-Apr-20
I use an external server for my businesses, computer’s hard drive, and the cloud. Too many memories that are my most valued “trophies.”

• Sitka Gear