Sandbrew 09-Apr-20
JohnMC 09-Apr-20
fubar racin 09-Apr-20
badbull 09-Apr-20
Treeline 09-Apr-20
Surfbow 10-Apr-20
Mr.C 10-Apr-20
08-Apr-20
Interested in the overall thoughts on Moose tags going to season choice tags in Colorado. I drew my archery and harvested 3 years ago so this doesn't affect me directly but if/when my brother or friends are fortunate enough to draw, I'd be concerned all the Rifle hunters will flood our archery season (most likely with a muzzle loader in their hand) . Just curious to hear others opinions.

08-Apr-20
Jeezus. It’s a Once in a Lifetime tag. Who cares.

08-Apr-20
It sucks it's already close to 100% success . How many more people do need to shove in September and yes I am a moose guide I think it sucks

08-Apr-20
As a moose guide you should be pleased with more season opportunity for your hunters.

08-Apr-20
The tags should b weapon specific

08-Apr-20
I would agree with WI on it being set up as weapon specific but allow everyone to hunt thru the last day of the last season with the specific weapon you chose when you applied.

08-Apr-20
It may not make a huge difference in September crowding, with so few total tag holders per unit. Either way I'd still be very happy to draw a bull tag, no matter the season structure. Especially when thinking about the scant few years we have left without wolves.

08-Apr-20
CPw screwed it up.

Again.

Should be two weeks of archery only. September 1-15.

Then Two weeks of archery and muzzle loader. September 16-30.

Then two months of any weapon. October 1-November 31.

Idiotic to start ML the same day as archery. Colorado really hates bowhunters! Every gun hunter will be in the woods on day one competing with bow hunters, some of whom will be hunting with primitive bows... BS!

08-Apr-20
No days in the field for much of anything without gun hunters!!!!

08-Apr-20

Sandbrew's Link
Many of you should re-read and look at this old thread.

https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=448984&forum=15

I think some of you are experiencing post traumatic application syndrome paired with pandemic paranoia-

I agree the moose new season structure is not ideal - I asked for archery moose to start the Tuesday after Labor Day like many of the sheep and mt goat seasons but that was denied. That simple change would have prevented the occasional but not every year concurrent start of archery and muzzleloader moose on a Saturday. As the rules read now archery moose will start the first Saturday after Labor day. The muzzleloader season starts the second Saturday in September. In 2024 and 2025 successful moose draw archers will have an extra week head-start on muzzleloaders so if you are really that concerned wait until then to apply. I doubt anyone will see their favorite areas over run with newbie archery moose hunters "trying out" archery for the the first time. There were only 211 bull moose tags issued in 2019. 40% or 85 were issued in 7 (out of 47 total units) that had over 10 tags in each. The break down of archers/muzzleloader/rifle bull hunters was 18% 9% and 75% the most archery bull hunters in in one unit in 2019 was 4. Max muzzleloader hunters in a single unit was 2. For cows with 274 tags issued - 72% chose rifle as their method of take 16% archery and 11%.

I see this new season structure as a huge win for all hunters especially archers. Archers can now hunt until Sept 30 every year in the past archery moose season could have ended as early as Sept 23 so an extra week alone hunting is a bonus and now archers can also hunt until Oct 14th so an additional 21 days total in some cases nearly doubling the total days you can hunt moose when you draw the tag. Best of luck to all those that draw and can take advantage of the new longer seasons.

Sandbrew

08-Apr-20
With Archery elk and deer starting later, they also extended archery sheep seasons in many of the areas that have both rifle and sheep seasons. More days for sheep!

Will the change in moose seasons cause all method of take hunters to pursue the same animal and create conflicts? I don't know if it will be worse or better. My moose season started with a meadow full of muzzleloaders.

I do know one thing, with 5.7 million residents as and a bunch of tourists there will always be conflict afield. We aren't Wyoming and the 1980's are long gone.

Highway traffic and highway conflict have been way down this month though, sure reminded me of 1984 when I moved here. I miss 1984.

08-Apr-20
By 2024, we will likely have wolves eating half the moose.

Hell, start moose season in August for archery only!

Every rifle hunter will go buy a muzzleloader the way this mess was made by CPw.

Every bow hunter with a moose tag will have to race to any moose they have scouted pre-season...And hope they can get there before that moose gets shot over the top of them by a rifle/muzzle loader on day one.

Stupid.

09-Apr-20
I think extending each season as long as they can and still making you choose a weapon would be my answer. I haven't Rifle hunted in 20 years so I am potentially biased here but why not give each season 3 weeks or so with interim muzzle loader overlap, (ie Archery Sept. 2-25, Muzzle Loader Sept 14- Oct. 2, Rifle Oct. 3-25). I felt like hunting in my unit was fairly spread out and I still ran into a couple muzzleloader's the first few days. There are some units that almost every moose taken is in 1 of 2 drainage's. I'd be concerned every other tag in the unit would be there with newly purchased muzzle loaders if you wanted to try a stalk in on the first few days of the season. Going to definitely have to at least factor this into future draws for people still in the game. Good luck to everyone

09-Apr-20
I absolutely think it’s better than the old options of being stuck in your season. It is giving more opportunity for every hunter. When I draw Moose I will be glad at the longer season!

09-Apr-20
If I were an exclusive rifle hunter, i'd be pissed that all those archers that didn't tag out are now hunting in MY rifle season ;)

09-Apr-20

Sandbrew's embedded Photo
Sandbrew's embedded Photo

09-Apr-20
I don't like it either. Would rather have a shorter season that is only archery. Like diggerson says I would not like it as a rifle hunter either. Lose Lose for everyone. But then again I doubt the state will ever grace me with a tag.

09-Apr-20
A couple years ago we had a discussion on this site where many advocated for all moose tags to be season choice...

09-Apr-20
I think Wyoming has it right with long archery only moose in September. I know that I am biased because I also think all Shiras moose should be bow only because they are so darn much fun to bowhunt.

09-Apr-20
Most state’s moose hunts are much longer than Colorado.

I do really like Wyoming’s season structure. Bow ONLY for a full month ahead of any weapon season for another couple of months.

Seems simple and effective.

After hunting moose in Wyoming, I would much rather hunt them early than in the rut.

If you find a good bull in June through August, he will be right there until just before the rut. Super easy to walk up to 100 yards on that bull and shoot him with a gun where he has been living for the last three months.

You may never find a bull that you have scouted once they start traveling. They move so much in the rut that the gun hunters can have it.

10-Apr-20
Haha, most of you will never draw a moose tag anyway, so who cares?

10-Apr-20
Don't bring a knife to a gun fight! …..I just need to draw for shirus ill take any state and any weapon

• Sitka Gear