Screwball 05-Dec-20
spike buck 05-Dec-20
spike buck 06-Dec-20
spike buck 07-Dec-20
Ollie 08-Dec-20
10-Apr-20

spike buck's embedded Photo
Spring or Fall Bear hunts.... here is what I have been doing while posting on Bowsite!! Spring or Fall I will be ready...

1300 pounds of kernels

10-Apr-20

If we do not have a Spring Bear hunt we will still be out in the field. I have a Brand New Bear Management Area to scout and set up sites in. Also plan on moving many older sites for the next bear season, no matter when it is!!

10-Apr-20
Wow! That would last thru about 2000 movies! Wish I had 5 buck$ for every bear that hit the dirt in my camps due to the popcorn virus over the last 35 years! Good luck this season.

10-Apr-20
Thanks Rob... good luck to you this year!! Hopefully everything works out for all the sponsors of Bowsite this year.. pic shows only half of what I popped so far.

10-Apr-20
you popped all that yourself? good lord that's a lot of corn LOL

10-Apr-20
LOL, popped that all himself, truth Chris, how much did Joe or someone else pop? Ok off the end of Chanley Drive, there is an unnamed body of water. I want a bait on the south end of that body of water! Right North of the 0 and in 017.

10-Apr-20
Lottie popped 3 bags.... all rest by me!!! There is an old logging trail that takes you by that pond Brian. Use to bait in there when I was a kid. I plan on relearning it all this Spring. Come on down this summer and look it over with us. Southern end of this BMA is less than a 5 minute drive from camp. 3/4 of this BMA is ATV access only.

10-Apr-20
Purchased Kathy a Honda 1000 utv, side by side. Trails wide enough?

10-Apr-20

Main Rd Chaval is washed out in 3 places. Wont be fixed for a couple of years. Side by sides will work fine.

11-Apr-20

Pine Acres Crew
Pine Acres Crew
At Pine Acres, hunting has been our ONLY business. After the 1999 closing of the Spring bear hunt, I have learned that things don't always go your way. Back then, we not only lost 1999's Spring Bear hunt but no positive outlook for another Spring hunt in the far future. BUT we did have a Fall hunt to work with. We were lucky as we previously offered successful Fall hunts in years past.

Remember, hunting is all we have done since a young age. Losing the camp was not in my vocabulary!! So I had to scramble. I did and it was not easy. In Fall 1999 we had a half full camp. Better than nothing is the way I looked at it.

As the years went on we refined our Fall hunts to be successful hunt's. To this day I really enjoy Fall bear hunts. I have become friends with most clients since 1974 and am still in contact with them till present day. One of them is Screwball who first hunted with us in 1983.

Beings that my new and old clients entrusted their money with me as a contract to offer a bear hunt with them, I will fulfill the contract. Contract was signed when I cashed their deposit check or put their credit card through. So here is my plan: I will love to have them hunt their original date of Spring 2020. Doesn't look like this will happen. The next plan has already been pushed forward.... I have an alternate date for this Fall. I also have a plan if the Fall does not pan out. Hunters will get a hunt but we are mostly booked for 2021. Have many dates available for 2022.

I am proof that outfitters can make it through a rough patch. I don't give up and I will be around for another 20 years or longer. I am like Apauls, I always look for a bright spot in the future and always go for it. Sometimes outcome isn't what's expected but kept me going.

Now, one BIG BRIGHT SPOT in the future is that we still have a Spring hunt for the Future. We all do. A bright spot that Ontario did not have after losing the Spring in 99'. Good luck to "ALL" outfitters and ask for clients to have patience with their outfitters as they go through a rough spot they might be in.

Its not my first Rodeo when it comes to losing a hunt, but it was survivable!!

My thought's are with those suffering through Covid19... either by catching the virus or by suffering through a rough spot in income and their livelyhoods. Especially those who have lost loved ones. Chris Lavoie

HAPPY EASTER!!

11-Apr-20
Happy Easter Chris

11-Apr-20
Same to you Grant

13-Apr-20

Can't wait to get some camera's on active baits next month.... border open or not I will be setting a few sites up.

13-Apr-20

This unique coloured Bear still roams our Bear Area. Chocalate… cinnamon with a white patch.

13-Apr-20
What do you use to pop the popcorn?

13-Apr-20
We used 2 commercial poppers this year. Like one they used at theaters. Best way when you have to pop indoors.

13-Apr-20
Happy Easter Chris! Always fun to keep tabs on what you’ve got going on. Good luck with everything! I’ve got a real soft spot for anyone with their lives on the line 24/7 in small/medium business. (Bit of course I’m biased ;)

13-Apr-20
Thanks Adam. Good luck with your business this year. I am glad I picked the line of work I'm in. Going to be a different couple of months ahead. I have some awesome clients, new and past clients, that are willing to work with me on Dates. Looking forward to the future!!

Sent you a PM Groundhunter

14-Apr-20
A friend I have hunted Spring bear four times together decided to try Fall with Sleeve Lake last year on a combined waterfowl/bear hunt and ended up very successful with both.

I have no doubt with your experience, knowledge and efforts your fall bear hunters will not be disappointed! GL.

14-Apr-20
Happy Easter Chris! Always fun to keep tabs on what you’ve got going on. Good luck with everything! I’ve got a real soft spot for anyone with their lives on the line 24/7 in small/medium business. (Bit of course I’m biased ;)

14-Apr-20

Just walks away with the barrel full of popcorn...

14-Apr-20

Bears in the background waiting patiently for Pine Acres recipe.....

14-Apr-20
I’ll take care of that barrel stealer for you in June, Chris!.........Or August! ;-)

Looking forward to our hunt this year or next!

15-Apr-20
Looking forward to meeting you Troy!! Cant imagine the border staying closed till August.

15-Apr-20

Killed this buck from same site as above picture.
Killed this buck from same site as above picture.
The site where we killed these 3 Bucks, is within the new Bear Management Area. We were always able to Whitetail hunt here but not Bear hunt. Now, after acquiring this area we can do both from this site!!

15-Apr-20

Far North BMA's
Far North BMA's
We have a certain group from Michigan every year. They always hunt the far North BMA. The roads in the area are being taken over by nature. These hunters always brings the ATV's.

These hunters were booked for June 6th this year. They picked the week of September 13th for a combo Bear / Wolf hunt as their alternate date.

15-Apr-20

Both these bears are still roaming in the deep woods. Coloured bear is a sow with cubs. Black is a male. They are growing to be bigger bears for our hunters this fall... Buller #1 Bait.

15-Apr-20

19-Apr-20

1974 Bear hunt Pine Acres Camp...
1974 Bear hunt Pine Acres Camp...
One of Pine Acres earliest Bear hunts... 1974.

19-Apr-20

1977... shot over bait.... me in middle, Rene Lavoie on right.

19-Apr-20

1981... Plott Hound left Clyde Springer right
1981... Plott Hound left Clyde Springer right
Used the Plott's to track wounded bears... Naylor Vanous Left, scruffy one is me in middle... cant remember guy who killed bear on right

19-Apr-20

1980...This little kid grew up to be our bear guide in the nineties.... my nephew Steven Leutschaft

19-Apr-20

June 1987.... Frank McDonald

19-Apr-20

1975... my first bear. Skipped school to go Bear Hunting. Past my hunters safety course June 75', day after I passed I killed this bear

19-Apr-20

Spikebuck My first deer... 1986
Spikebuck My first deer... 1986
So, back in April 2009 I clicked onto Bowsite for the first time. Signed up under the handle Ontario Hunter. Just learning the computer, never been on a forum before. Was a rough start.

Moderator at the time would tell me reread and correct before I pressed send. He was losing patience with me. But gave me many chances. I got kicked off Bowsite.com in June 2009. I tried everything to get back on as I really missed the forum. So I snuck back on Bowsite.com under the guise of Spikebuck. But I think he knew and let it slide. So, when warned .... you better listen!!

Been a sponsor of Bowsite since, best move ever!!!

19-Apr-20

Season had been closed for Whitetails for 10 years.... spent more time hunting them as the years went on. Also size of racks grew as I learned more about them.

19-Apr-20

2002 buck
2002 buck

20-Apr-20

Back in the 70's we started out using hound. Clyde was used as a strike dog. He would be perched (leashed) on the rack on the front bumper. Would drive real slow down the 100's of miles of logging roads.

If a bear walked or crossed the road a few hours before we drove it, Clyde would strike. Once Clyde struck a track we would use Springer to see if the track was any good. If we liked what she was telling us, we would take the hounds in the back and let them loose on the bear.

Some bears would tree, some would run for miles, and bay up. Big bears had a tendancy to walk along and fight the bears as he went. Never stopping except to swat at a dog or 2.

Some of the places the bear finally bayed or treed were not easy to get to. Once we caught up to a tree'd bear, we would tie up the dogs and decide weather to let him go or take him. Had to tie up the dogs when you shot the bear or else the dogs would stand right underneath the falling bear and land on the dogs.

Many times the bear would be dispatched in some of the most rugged spots so we would skin and quarter the bear at the kill site. Hound hunting was an awesome way to hunt bears.

20-Apr-20

Last Spring Bear hunt... 1998
Last Spring Bear hunt... 1998

20-Apr-20

Back in 1980 a hunter from Knoxville, gave me a little Plott Hound pup. I raised him, trained him to track wounded bears. Had a mouth on him!! Named him Bruno...

20-Apr-20

In the late 80's we had a disabled hunter who wanted to be set up for a bear. We had to tape a strap to his lips attached to a hair trigger. The tripod for rifle needed to be set up just so. Had to plan this out in every detail. Hunters nurse accompanied him to camp for the bear hunt. We built a wheel chair ramp into his cabin for ease of access.

First afternoon, the rifle slipped off his shoulder. Had to watch a bear. Bear mingled around the bait but did not approach the hunter. Second night a skunk wandered in to the bait. We would put the bait on the hunters lap as we set the hunter each afternoon. The skunk went up to the hunters wheel chair and climbed up on one of the foot rests and scented around for the bait scent. Eventually the skunk went back to the bait.

Third night a bear wandered in and things were perfect for the hunter so he took the shot. Bear ran about 30 yards and expired.... Was very cool!!

20-Apr-20

Going North on HWY 105, came upon 2 calves on the road. Tried to chase them off the pavement but they thought we were wanting to play. So had to pick them up and carry them to the edge of timber. Was a line up of vehicles waiting...

20-Apr-20

July 87'
July 87'
While out for a canoe trip in July 87', we came across this guy. Every time Bull dunked his head under for more water plants, we would canoe closer. Being young, never feared what might happen if he decided we were to close. But had to get the picture.

Ended up tagging a moose near this spot in the Fall. Could be him, maybe not. Lots of big Bulls around in those days.

20-Apr-20

So, in the Fall I went out and scouted the area where we took that picture of the Bull in July. There was a clear cut that went almost to the waters edge. Looked it over and looked promising. Went back a few more times before the opening day came. Picked a perch on a rock where I can call from.

Opening day we went early. Settled in. As day broke did a call. Nothing. Called about 20 minutes later and heard a grunt. Here is the Bull I tagged as it approached into the clear cut. Easy to get out.

20-Apr-20

Later on in the 80's the moose population began to rise. We never outfitted for Moose, but I spent days on end each year after Fall Bear season trying to bag one.

Took this moose off the edge of a pond on my Upper Falls Property.

20-Apr-20
I love threads like this Chris, I find them very interesting, keep em coming. I did notice your dog perch was mounted on a Dodge pickup and I think I see a Dodge Duster in the background of you and your dog. Im waiting to see what year the Ford only policy was enacted.

20-Apr-20

1981 Ford Bronco..
1981 Ford Bronco..
Curt, bought my first new Ford in late 1980. It didn't really matter to me what I drove. I think the year I bought my first Bronco was when they first rolled Bronco's off the assembly line. But now, never a Dodge!! I have a lot of old pictures still to post, going back decades of Bear Hunting at Pine Acres...

21-Apr-20

I lived in my Bronco when it was Moose season... Here we were staying down the trail prime moose feeding areas.

My brother Richard on the right.

21-Apr-20
Great pics Chris! I really enjoy threads like this!

21-Apr-20

Driving through a beaver dam.

21-Apr-20

The Pine tree on left is over mature or crowned. Needs to go...
The Pine tree on left is over mature or crowned. Needs to go...

21-Apr-20

Essential work.....The Insurance company does yearly inspections. We plan on cutting all our over mature Pines since there's nothing else to do. When they get too old they get top heavy or crowned. Winds topple them on the cabins or hydro lines. Save bucks on insurance.

21-Apr-20

Mid 1990's
Mid 1990's

21-Apr-20
Great thread Chris! Thanks for taking the time. Hope all is well up there.

22-Apr-20

Cow Moose
Cow Moose
This little Bull was taken in 2002. I went to my Quibell property as didn't have much time left in the day. I have the road gated so I knew I didn't have to beat anyone to the spot. Got up on a high ridge over looking a huge Tamarac Swamp.

I settled down on a rock up against a small pine. Gave it a few minutes before I gave a call. Started with a Bull call, then a cow call shortly after. 20 minutes went by with no action. Gave another sequence of calls. After only about 1 minute I heard a grunt. A bull. So I responded back. After a little bit of scraping of the alders I saw him walk to the edge of the swamp.

I waited to get a broadside shot. Took it and he dropped. Gave a few minutes and ran down the rock to the bottom. Gutted, then ran and got my chainsaw at the cabin which was 5 minutes away.

Went back to the gutted bull with the chainsaw. Now I prepared for this as I replaced the chain oil with vegetable oil. I quartered the bull into four pieces in a matter of 10 minutes. Shot, gutted and quartered the bull in 2 hours. All by myself.

Went in to the Bull the next day with my inlaw and helper and got him out.

Thanks Dave... doing fine, cant wait for Fall Bear!!

Picture of quartering is of another moose. A different hunt.

22-Apr-20
Looks kinda like one of the deleted scenes from the movie “Fargo”! Keep the pics coming, Chris!

22-Apr-20

Half the fun of the Spring Bear hunt in the 70's, 80's and 90's was the Spring Sucker run. Would net them and fill the bed of my pickup. Drive to bait sites and carry 2 or more pails per bait in. Cheap easy and lots of fun!!! Bed of the truck stunk like rotten fish well after the hunt was over....

22-Apr-20

June 1987.... hunter on left spent most of the Spring season at camp. August the same year he had a diving accident and was disabled from neck down. He was a fighter as he just died last July, 2019.

24-Apr-20

Late 80's
Late 80's

24-Apr-20

25-Apr-20

25-Apr-20

Picture taken Fall 1992. Ontario has the second largest population in Canada. 2nd to B.C. Much of Ontario has been logged over, more than once in many places. This creates millions of acres of Blueberries, Mountain Ash, Saskatoons, Wild Sassparella, High and low Bush Cranberries and many other types of berries. Most years are bumper crops. The many creeks and flooded swamps produce numbers of beavers. These are all bear food throughout the year.

If there is a dry season and Blue Berries dry up, then the Mountain Ash is prime. Always food for the bears. Creates a LARGE bear population throughout Ontario!!

25-Apr-20
Your pictures are being my bear hunting fix ,since my spring hunt got cancelled. I enjoy this ,keep it up !!

25-Apr-20
Thanks Ogoki.

27-Apr-20

Mutrie Camp Bait
Mutrie Camp Bait
18 yard bow shot.
18 yard bow shot.
Mutrie Rock Bait
Mutrie Rock Bait
Mutrie Rock Bait17 yard bow shot
Mutrie Rock Bait17 yard bow shot
Now back to present time. Was out today checking on the bait sites at the Mutrie camp area. Climbed up and checked them out for stability. All the ones I checked today are AOK.

I will bait up a few sites in the next couple of days and set camera's on them.

28-Apr-20

Camp visitors this morning
Camp visitors this morning
Whiskey Jack... Grey Jay... Camp Robber
Whiskey Jack... Grey Jay... Camp Robber

03-May-20

April 27th ice out... Quibell Lake
April 27th ice out... Quibell Lake

03-May-20

Saxon James.... Pine Acres Guide since 2010
Saxon James.... Pine Acres Guide since 2010
Leo Lake Road
Leo Lake Road
Scouting out one trail in the new BMA for the Fall season. I will look for prime areas. Then mileage each spot so as to keep bait sites far enough apart. Then after go in and look over each site on foot and find the perfect set up. Takes 3 to 4 trips into each area before a site is finally picked. After each site is picked out, then venture to another trail and do it again.

03-May-20

This type of spot is what I like.... find a set up just inside the tree line, far off the road.

03-May-20

This load of Potato Chips will equal 3 barrels of Bear Bait.... All outdated, bears love them!! Open squash and empty into barrels. 12 barrels of potato chips so far. Time consuming but oh well!!

03-May-20

03-May-20
I was beginning to worry about you. Thought you got lost in the BMA!

03-May-20
Lost?? Noooo

05-May-20

Overlooking a small portion of new Bear area
Overlooking a small portion of new Bear area
Found this perfect spot for a bear bait set up
Found this perfect spot for a bear bait set up
After looking at the map in detail, I went by foot looking for a rushing creek I knew was there. After a bit I could hear it. After about a 45 minute walk I found the perfect spot for a bait set up. All afternoon for one PRIME spot. Well worth the time. After I found what I was looking for I then had to find a way back to the trail that was a little shorter than the way I went, to make it easier for the hunter. Overall, 3.5 hours of trekking through the deep woods. Lots goes in to each of my new Bear Bait Sets.

Back out again today for another site. Will spend about 1 week on Leo Lake Rd... then to another new area.

05-May-20
Great looking spot Chris. Kind of reminds me of lil' bull with the creek in the back ground. Am I correct in thinking you still have to do some clearing, set the stand, bring in a barrel and set the bait thus adding to your 3.5 hours.

05-May-20
My estimate of 4 to 5 scouting trips was right. Have 3 awesome spots picked out. Now Saxon, Joe and I will go in on Saturday or Sunday to clear shooting lanes. wire barrels to the tree and set up the comfy ladder stands. Then off to another road in the new BMA

08-May-20

Mid 70's wolf...
Mid 70's wolf...
This is the first known wolf taken at Pine Acres Camp in the mid 70's while deer hunting. No limit on wolves then and small game license was all that a hunter needed. They closed our deer season a year after this pic was taken.

08-May-20
2008, I was out scouting for Deer the day I took this wolf, below pic. While walking into a site, I noticed moose tracks in the snow. So I followed the Moose tracks through the open timber. While tracking the Moose I saw a flash of white ahead. I knelt down a got ready. I had a Bull tag, a wolf tag and a buck tag so I was licensed for almost anything.

It was a white wolf back tracking the Moose. He was following the Moose track wrong, I was tracking the moose the right way. Walked nearly right to me when I took the shot. Died right there where he was standing.

08-May-20

10-May-20

Cabin #8...
Cabin #8...
New plate for joists and insulated.
New plate for joists and insulated.
So, this cabin was built by the original owner back in the 30's. Then in mid 60's it had a major fire within it. Then they just reused all the wood and rebuilt it with as much as the original lumber they could salvage.

The plate that the floor joists sat on are rotted right out. Had to crawl underneath and jack up the floor yesterday. Got new, treated lumber in place of rot and now just like new... sort of.

10-May-20
Cool stuff spike, thanks.

10-May-20

Working on a cabin built ages ago is not as easy as one thinks. They must have had a sale on nails. Like 4 inch nails. None of the 2 x 4's matched the sheets of ranch board siding. Had to screw a new 2x4 at each seam. But it is now done. Should last another 40 years. Also new shingles coming soon to this cabin.

Saxon, Joe and I will catch up on a lot of work needed on cabins this Spring. We have 6 cabins at main camp and lodge. 1 cabin at Mutrie Outpost that's needing work and paint. 2 cabins at Quibell. The wood shed and storage shed need new roofs as the the smaller cabin.

I will be able to keep my guides busy through this China Virus. Rather be Bear Baiting but cabin work is badly needed also!!

10-May-20
2x4 is that metric or standard? LOL

10-May-20
The lumber yards sell in standard.

11-May-20
Great to look at those old photos!

11-May-20

Went out on Friday and set up Bear Baits on Red Bluff Road. We will not have anyone in Bear hunting this Spring. Save the Bears for the Fall season. Also put a few more out this evening.

11-May-20

Clay Lake Bait...
Clay Lake Bait...
First hits of the year!!

11-May-20
Looking forward to staying in one of those remodeled cabins in a few months, Chris!

11-May-20
Good one Mule Power. I was wondering how long the thread would last.

China Virus is allowing us to do needed work on all our cabins. Camps going to look a lot newer this Fall!! Really looking forward to the Fall season.

13-May-20
Bear Bait apparently is considered essential... have a truck load being delivered from Lucky Seven Baits on Friday. Don't know where to put it as I am overflowing with bait now. With all the time on our hands, I am sure I can figure it out!!

13-May-20

Ingredients for my recipe
Ingredients for my recipe
2 cups of fryer grease
2 cups of fryer grease
Generous amount of Strawberry, Raspberry or Cherry Jello Powder and a big handful of brown sugar.
Generous amount of Strawberry, Raspberry or Cherry Jello Powder and a big handful of brown sugar.
Mix it all in
Mix it all in
We were the very first to use popcorn as Bear bait back in the late 70's. Had a bunch of popcorn left over from a bonfire. Dad gave left over to me to see if I could use it as Bear Bait. Now outfitters everywhere use popcorn as bear bait. I have even seen videos of someone copying my recipe... glad they found the same success as I do.

After a bit of refining my recipe, this is what I now have used for 3.5 decades.

All 1300 pounds of popped kernels will all be mixed by man power... no, a cement mixer does not work for mixing these ingredients, crushes the popcorn.

First we take a 20 gallon plastic garbage can and fill it with popcorn. Take 2 cups of used fryer grease. Stir with a stick till totally mixed. Take 2 ounces of liquid smoke and mix. Then pour a generous amount of Strawberry or Cherry Jello powder along with a handful of brown sugar on the corn. Then thoroughly mix again. Then the mixture is done. We take a whole week to mix the 1300 pounds of popped kernels. We mix all the popcorn before we start the baiting season. Time consuming.

The Jello keeps the corn from shrivelling in the rain. Liquid smoke and strawberry Jello gives the popcorn recipe the sweet smell.

Now, popcorn goes right through the bear. Satisfies his sweet tooth but isn't enough to keep multiple bears at a bait set as the first couple of bears eat it all. So you must use other filler baits such as donuts, grains or candy to feed the many bears at the barrels. So bears will gobble up the popcorn as soon as the bear can, but he will wander if no other filler bait is available to the bear in the barrel.

14-May-20

For the hunters hunting the September 13th week, Small Game is included with your Wolf and Small Game license.

We had taken First Nations Foster Kids into our home for over 10 years. This kid in particular was raised in camp and helped out with the many chores. Him and his brother was with us for many years. Enjoyed doing shows with us. Enjoyed the hunters and baiting the Bears.

14-May-20

Sunset last night after checking baits
Sunset last night after checking baits

15-May-20
It definitely looks like they are not going to open the border before June. Chris, do you have some pictures of fall bears harvested....Just to help get my bear fix, and put my mind at ease for the fall hunt.

16-May-20

August Bear
August Bear
August
August
Fall Bear
Fall Bear
Here's August And September bears...

16-May-20

September Bear
September Bear
September Bear
September Bear

16-May-20

Fall
Fall
Fall...
Fall...

16-May-20

Fall Bear...
Fall Bear...

18-May-20

Double Dam...
Double Dam...
We will bait most of our sites this Spring... but none of our sites will be hunted this May or June.

18-May-20

Clay Lake Bait...

18-May-20

Honey Moon Suite Bait site...
Honey Moon Suite Bait site...

18-May-20

18-May-20

Fight at Clay Lake Bait...
Fight at Clay Lake Bait...

18-May-20
Do you bait the same spots in the fall as the spring, Chris? I would assume that you do, but was just wondering.

18-May-20

19-May-20
I do... but when there is a ton of berries, bears will go to berry patch. I move to the edges of Berry patches to reap the benefits of the cluster of bears attracted to the natural food sources. I do not use any meat in the Fall. 100% sweets in order to compete with the berries.

I plan according to soil types. Blue Berries grow in sandy or rocky soils. Clay soils is best to hunt in Spring as the soil is great for clover and poplar trees. In areas with clay soil I will start baiting before berries come ripe to keep bears in the area. Baiting April to September, like I do, always keeps a large population bears in my BMA's. I also attract bears to my baits for miles around!!

20-May-20

24-May-20

Sat on a bait for the first time this year for pictures.... will go to a different one tomorrow.

24-May-20
What a great post...I can smell the fall air

24-May-20

May 22
May 22
May 23rd
May 23rd
Smaller Sow Bear keeps chasing off this Male Bear.... next day she likes him.

29-May-20

Bear's were holding up traffic here!!
Bear's were holding up traffic here!!

01-Jun-20
June 1rst Covid UPDATE:

Ontario's Premiere has extended the State of Emergency till July 1rst.

ALL Outfitters from NW Ontario are holding a huge Rally / Protest here in Vermilion Bay on Saturday June 13th. There will be media from across Canada at the Rally / Protest. Local politicians across Northern Ontario have been invited and expected to be here.

Will be held at Fort Vermilion on HWY #17 as you pass through V.Bay. We are not to talk about opening of the Border. All focus by Ford has been on Toronto. Not once about the rest of Ontario. Its thought that residents from Ontario would be put off that we would want the Border open to bring Tourists from Stateside to infect them all. So, no talk of the border.

It's a well thought out Rally / Protest that many professional's are helping to organize. It will be huge!!!

A doctor in Thunder Bay has accidentally and possibly infected up to a hundred people in the Regional Hospital.

01-Jun-20
Good luck! Hopefully you guys can sway the people in power....

05-Jun-20
Americans who own Tourist Resorts in Canada, can now cross into Canada. Tourist resorts can also open to the public as of midnight last night ( Ontario). Open for domestic travelers. Its a big beginning!!!

09-Jun-20

stuckintherut's embedded Photo
Pine Acres Spring 2019
Pine Acres Spring 2019
Hi Chris, I should be getting ready for day two of my hunt. Instead I'm sitting here on the couch. I have some info on my bear from last year though. Tooth sample showed the boar to be 8 years old. Official score was 18 and 10/16. This mount lets me relive the hunt everyday. Plus bear burger is on the menu every week whether its taco's, chilli, lasagne, or a straight forward bear cheese burger.

I hope Lottie has been able to get to the river recently. Those walleyes should be stacked up in there now. Say Hi, to Joe and Saxon. See in you August, I hope.

09-Jun-20

I missed this bear in 2018. Totally redeemed myself 2019.

09-Jun-20
Stuckintherut, nice mount congratulations!

09-Jun-20
Nice mount and bear, Curt. Congrats! Hopefully, we run into your group at Pine Acres in August as well!

09-Jun-20
Troy, Curt will be here the same week as your group.

*** Border restrictions are going to be extended to July 31, 2020. Not officially announced yet though. But Global News and Routers says so.

Pretty well all Outfitters across Northern Ontario are going to try to be at a Protest / Rally on Saturday, June 13th. Manitobans are invited as our issues are yours also. News media from across Canada will be there. Outfitters are fed up with the lack of answers on the Border reopening.

Protest will be over the lack of answers on the future of many Outfitters. We want answers as to what the Border plan is, going into the future. Many in Ontario might not survive!!

Protest will be held at Fort Vermilion on the North Side of HWY #17 as you pass through Vermilion Bay. I'll keep everyone updated on issues pertaining to the border.

Plan C ??

09-Jun-20
This sucks for all!!!

10-Jun-20
Thanks for posting Curt!!

There is word that Americans who own land in Canada will be allowed across the border in the near future.

10-Jun-20
Spike buck I'm glad you and other outfitters are taking a stand. I hope it works but unfortunately your situation doesn't follow the media narrative so it likely won't get much publication and as a result a lot of Canadians won't know it ever happened. Hope i'm wrong!

10-Jun-20
Many people in Canada wants the border to stay closed.... so we are going at it in a different way. Wanting the border open when "Safe" to do so. We want answers as to what kind of plan they have pertaining to the border. Looks like Ford is listening, maybe.

If he keeps the border closed for the long run.... we want assistance. Today he answered " Everything is on the table". Our group had a meeting with our MP.

Many fishing camps are "HUGE". Most spent their budgets before March to prepare for opening. Hope all works out for them and the rest of us!! Need other provinces to do the same....

10-Jun-20
Wish yous the best Chris not good times for tourism in Canada, but there’s a lot of other people and businesses are suffering around the world. Hopefully things get back to normal for next spring as far as this fall for border opening it don’t look good. But u never know maybe this thing will pass.

10-Jun-20
Hope all is well with you and your family Alex. This is a once in a life time episode.... it will pass. I will be ready if border opens this Fall. But Alex, it does not look good. Maybe it will pass as you say... Good luck to all businesses, whether in tourism or other wise, including Bowsite.com.

I have plan C ready to go!! Plan C 2022 Spring. Have very few spots available for Spring 2021 as (US Hunters) front line workers took up most avail in 2021. We will get it all figured out.

10-Jun-20
Yes it will take a couple years to get this thing straithened out plan c here too. Good luck to all hope yous can weather the storm.

15-Jun-20

15-Jun-20
We will post the certificate from Pope and Young when it has finally been scored. We wont claim it to be pope and young till the certificate arrives.

18-Aug-20

So, I have decided to offer a Timberwolf Only hunt for Bow starting September 19th, 2021. This is a Timberwolf ONLY hunt. Can take 2 Timberwolves on this hunt.

*** Must purchase a Small Game License and a Timberwolf Seal / Tag. Tag a Timberwolf, then you can purchase a second Seal / Tag. Bear / Deer tags are not needed anymore for wolf hunting with bow or rifle...

Price will be $1595.00. Plus Tax. Includes Grouse also.

Email at [email protected] or call 1-807-221-9793.... this is a brand new, never before offered hunt.

18-Aug-20

Crossbow Kill...
Crossbow Kill...
I can get you within bow range!!!

20-Aug-20

Perfect bow shot.... see the treestand in the back ground? We do not have coyotee's...

04-Dec-20

Mutrie Outpost Cabin...
Mutrie Outpost Cabin...
Finished Cabin..
Finished Cabin..
Took a week mid summer and did some much needed work on the cabin at Mutrie Out post. New entry door. Ripped of half the outside wall. Reinsulated. New Ranch Board and new trim and paint all the way around.

05-Dec-20
With vaccines coming the spring hunt may happen. Kathy is retiring in July so we will see you all then!!!

05-Dec-20
After 2020, I wont guess on anything. But am hope full border will open for spring. Hope you 2 are doing great Brian. Ontario Destination North has put together a Border task force to work on ways of getting the border open in time for spring.

05-Dec-20
Looks like geysers will get the vaccine first so plan on over age 65 guys for this spring.

05-Dec-20
Back to the same question. Spring Or Fall

Main population in Canada wont be vaccinated till after March. Canada has to rely on other Countries for the doses. BUT, Americans should be well on their way for Spring... have many older hunters (Geysers) coming up this spring.

05-Dec-20
Careful Charlie Chris and I are getting close to that Geyser status. LOL

05-Dec-20

Put quite a few camera's out this Fall. Looks like our Whitetail population is recovering well. Never hunted our Quibell properties and along with this 2020 winter looks to be a mild one, there will be some nice Bucks next year...

I rolled over the 2020 Whitetail hunters over to Fall 2021.

06-Dec-20

Recap on Cabin #8 renovations. A major project finished... original owners built this cabin in the late 30's. Then in mid 60's cabin had a fire and damaged it. Was rebuilt with much of the old wood. Kenny Null who owned the camp always tried to save a buck. This was the first major work on the cabin since my parents bought the camp in 1974.

2020 we reinsulated the walls and finished weather proofing it with Tyvec. Put a new roof on cabin. New Chalet siding. Couple of new windows and patio door. New deck and brand new furnace to heat cabin. New Facia and soffit. Looks like new now. Oh, and painted the cabin.

07-Dec-20

Oct 25th 2020
Oct 25th 2020
2016 to 2020 was the Spring Bear Pilot Program. Mid March 2020, the Ontario MNRF announced the Spring bear hunt will be continued into the future... Great news!!!

Along with the announcement came a few needed changes to enhance the Ontario Bear Outfitters ability to plan for the future of bear hunting in Ontario. Here are a few new changes for 2021: 1...Bear baits do NOT have to be 200 Meters off the roadway anymore. New distance is 30 Metres. 2... Non Resident's who own land of 40 acres or more in Ontario, will no longer be able to Bear hunt without going through an outfitter. Must acquire Form #33's from any outfitter to be able to hunt bears now. Must hunt within the Outfitters BMA. The Bear form #33's that did go to Non Resident land owners in the past, will now be given out to Bear Outfitters to enhance their Bear hunting opportunities. #3... Bear Outfitters will be getting the same amount of Form #33's as he has in the year 2019.

There will be no increase of Bear Form #33's given to Outfitters because of Covid 19. Will get same numbers as last year 2019...

08-Dec-20
Many of us are ready to come in 2021. Have that idiot in Ottawa open the borders so we can hunt with you outfitters in 2021!

• Sitka Gear