Paul@thefort 14-Apr-20
Shiras42 14-Apr-20
INbowdude 14-Apr-20
EmbryOklahoma 14-Apr-20
Marty 14-Apr-20
10-Apr-20

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I do not know about you guys but if I have an unfilled tag in my pocket, that situation drives me mad! And the only way to reduce the pain and madness, is to go and try to fill that turkey tag. So back to Nebraska I go yesterday for the third time. A spring storm is coming on Sunday so I have two and one half days to get it done. Off I go early AM, to arrive there early afternoon.

10-Apr-20

I set up in the same place this day, as three weeks ago for the opener, hoping to intercept a tom as he travels the creek bottom.
I set up in the same place this day, as three weeks ago for the opener, hoping to intercept a tom as he travels the creek bottom.
and every 15 minutes I do a double hen cackle but not one hen or tom gobble was heard in answer for the rest of the afternoon. Time to bail out and check out two other places to get a response from a tom.
and every 15 minutes I do a double hen cackle but not one hen or tom gobble was heard in answer for the rest of the afternoon. Time to bail out and check out two other places to get a response from a tom.

10-Apr-20
Paul did you get a cell phone you can post on bowsite from? Use to be you used a camera not attached to a phone and posted picture once back home. Or maybe you filled your tag and home in less than 24 hours!

10-Apr-20
I hope you tuned your bow this time, Paul. ;-)

Matt

10-Apr-20

I loaded up the truck at dark and drove to the field 1/2 mile away where I had killed the tom 10 days ago. I used my coyote yelper to shock gobble a tom, but no answer.
I loaded up the truck at dark and drove to the field 1/2 mile away where I had killed the tom 10 days ago. I used my coyote yelper to shock gobble a tom, but no answer.
if you remember, I had missed (bow sight was off 3 inches but I corrected that at home) three different toms the opening week but returned later, ten day ago, I shot this tom in this very field at first light. Tom number one. ONe tag to go.
if you remember, I had missed (bow sight was off 3 inches but I corrected that at home) three different toms the opening week but returned later, ten day ago, I shot this tom in this very field at first light. Tom number one. ONe tag to go.

10-Apr-20
Congrats!

10-Apr-20

So off I go to check out another spot a mile away, before it gets too dark. Arriving there I use my coyote yelper again, and get a response from a tom at other end of the field and in the adjacent wood lot. At last, a smile on my face. I truck camp for the night nearby and get ready to have combat with the tom turkey in the morning

10-Apr-20
The temperature was 23 degrees at 4:45 am this morning, and the water in the pan has a ice crust but after warming, I made a thermos cup of apple cider. Got dressed, gathered gear and headed across the field in the dark. Well with the full moon, I did not need my light to see the way and got to the other end of the field in 10 minutes. Just before I left, I took a sip of hot cider,and being too hot and placed the cup on the tailgate for later.

10-Apr-20

The morning light was filtering across the field as I set up the blind at the edge. Not sure where the tom was but I knew he was behind me somewhere in the trees.
The morning light was filtering across the field as I set up the blind at the edge. Not sure where the tom was but I knew he was behind me somewhere in the trees.

10-Apr-20

I am placing the last decoy when the tom screams in my face. He is treed within 75 yards but has not seen me. I crawl back to the blind. Still too dark out.
I am placing the last decoy when the tom screams in my face. He is treed within 75 yards but has not seen me. I crawl back to the blind. Still too dark out.

10-Apr-20

I hen yelp and get a return yelp from a hen. I return a yelp and the tom gobbles. I hear wings and the hen flies right over head and land 20 yards beyond the decoys.
I hen yelp and get a return yelp from a hen. I return a yelp and the tom gobbles. I hear wings and the hen flies right over head and land 20 yards beyond the decoys.

10-Apr-20

the hen postures in place but is coaxed to the decoys with a few hen yelps.
the hen postures in place but is coaxed to the decoys with a few hen yelps.

10-Apr-20

I did not hear the tom fly down but heard something race by the blind at 12 ft, heading for the jake decoy. He whacked the decoy with his wings and struts in place only 15 yards away.
I did not hear the tom fly down but heard something race by the blind at 12 ft, heading for the jake decoy. He whacked the decoy with his wings and struts in place only 15 yards away.

10-Apr-20
I quickly put down the camera and boxcall and picked up the bow. I attached my release and prepare to shoot. Calm down and relax I remind myself, this tom is not going anywhere soon. The sun was not even up yet, gray sky in the east, and I had only been in the blind for 15 minutes.

Looks like a Texas Heart SHot. ARROW ON ITS WAY!

10-Apr-20

WACK! feathers flew, tom races away only to pile up 10 yards away. Yep, Texas Heart Shot did the trick. Tom number two. :)
WACK! feathers flew, tom races away only to pile up 10 yards away. Yep, Texas Heart Shot did the trick. Tom number two. :)

10-Apr-20

10-Apr-20
Wow! Way to get it done Paul. Love it!

10-Apr-20

So there you have it from start to finish. I traveled nearly 2000 miles to turkey hunt in Nebraska, ie, 4 trips back and forth. But heck, I am retired, have some time and gas money, a truck to sleep in, and $$ for licenses. I just remembered, Colorado's turkey season starts tomorrow but I have not purchased a tag yet.

So after I killed this tom this morning, I hiked back to retrieve the truck and drive it to the blind and equipment. I picked up the thermos cup with hot cider in it that I had left on the tailgate. Yep, the cider was still hot as this hunt only lasted a few minutes. What are the odds of that happening???? Well, there will be a next time for sure. Thanks for following and good luck with your seasons. My best, Paul

10-Apr-20
Good stuff as always Paul, congrats on some great hunting!

10-Apr-20
Very cool Paul congrats! But damn 2000 miles for a turkey!

10-Apr-20
Or scoot you could say the “end” Anyway Paul, as usual you got it done in the blind and with articulating the story. Thank you and Good luck in Colorado

10-Apr-20
2turkeys. Nice job Paul! Glad to see someone appreciates takes advantage of living in the greatest country on earth. Well going from Colorado to Nebraska is surely an upgrade. LOL!

10-Apr-20
I thought for sure that you were going to tell us that you forgot about the cider in the excitement and drove off dumping it because that is probably what I would have done. Congrats on the Nebraska turkeys and Colorado turkeys bewere.

10-Apr-20
Just makes me smile!! Way to go Paul . My hero!! Hunt

10-Apr-20
Badbull X 2.

10-Apr-20

10-Apr-20
Congrats Paul. I admire your determination and love of the sport. Good luck back home. Take care.

10-Apr-20
Stud! Nice work man. Thank u for sharing your journeys.

10-Apr-20
You are seriously somebody I admire and I have never met or even talked to you. Your passion for the outdoors comes though crystal clear in your stories. Thanks a ton for sharing your adventures.

10-Apr-20
Awesome Paul...took a while, but you got it done!

10-Apr-20
Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing.

10-Apr-20
Congrats!

11-Apr-20
Badbull, here is another story of things left on the car hood or roof. I was a sales rep in Ohio and as I was ready to leave home overnight on a call, I left the car running, placed my wallet on top of the car, came back out, and just drove away, wallet still in place. As I turned on the main road and accelerated, the wallet fell off to the side of the road 1/2 mile down the highway and credit cards, some money, etc went flying also. I was lucky that a neighbor setting on his front porch, saw this happen, gathered it all up and returned it to the house the next day. When I got to the dealer who I was going to take to lunch, OH NO, no wallet. Tricia called me later with the good news. I am sure most on this site, has a similar story.

Rgiesey, "going from Colorado to Nebraska is surely an upgrade". Interesting as I was thinking of similar comparisons the other day when traveling through Wyoming and then into Nebraska. I was thinking about the big three western states and their present and past history ie, Wyoming, Montana and Colorado and how they portray the western character. Living in Colorado now for the past 29 years, I have seen a lot of that western character of Colorado vanish and in my mind, is not on the list anymore as it once was.

11-Apr-20
Congrats Paul. Top notch story as usual. Well done sir!

11-Apr-20
It sure was a good place in the 80s. Found some good friends there! Great opportunities.

11-Apr-20
Congrats sent from Tennessee great story thanks for sharing stay safe Lewis

11-Apr-20
Good to see that someone is able to get out there and chase some turkeys well done I'm jealous for sure !

11-Apr-20
Well done!!!

11-Apr-20
Subconsciously, you probably knew that you were probably gonna tag out quickly, so you thought...”here, hold my cider”. Congrats on another successful hunt, Paul!

I’m assuming on these trips, that Chase stays home. I’m curious what his reactions are when he knows you’re leaving without him, and what they are when you return?

11-Apr-20
lewis, Oh yea, Tennessee, now there is a state when you think about about turkey hunting. Hardwoods, rolling hills, moonshine, county girls, and oh, gobble , gobble.

11-Apr-20
Troy, I lie and tell him I am just going out for a coffee and will be back soon and I will bring back a treat for him. :)

11-Apr-20
Awesome! Big Congrats! :)

11-Apr-20
Paul, Like t-roy I was wondering about Chase. Good to know that he is okay with you leaving him home.

11-Apr-20
Congrats again Paul!

11-Apr-20
Great job again, Paul! Sure wish I'd gone ahead and bought my tags. Thanks for letting us do it vicariously!

12-Apr-20
Lou, sorry you were late. I now wish I had purchased a third. Hell, I will just go chase a tom here in Colorado and then go fishing and then go fishing some more.

12-Apr-20
Atta buddy, Paul! Congrats!

12-Apr-20
Paul you are correct we have all the above fore mentioned if you ever head this far east give us a holler you are welcomed.And never say never one afternoon a few years back BigDan came knocking.Stay safe Lewis

12-Apr-20
Nick, have you been able to get out hunting? Paul

12-Apr-20
I still have 3 NR Nebraska tags in my pocket I won't get to use to bad I can't transfer them to you ;)

12-Apr-20
Congrats Paul!! My NE and KS hunts didn't get to happen but the good news is that my 88 year old Dad does not have the virus! After testing and a lot of anxious days waiting it turned out to be bronchitis!

12-Apr-20
TP, I would have to buy another freezer. ONe year I did kill 3 toms in Nebraska. Two is enough.

6x6, Good for you and dad keeping well. That will mean a lot in the near future.

12-Apr-20
Stack em up Paul, lov'n it.

12-Apr-20
Paul buys a tag, some things going to die!! I'm always amazed and not surprised at the same time. Your fire is an inspiration to us all!!

13-Apr-20
Love it! Good work, Paul!

13-Apr-20
Nice work Paul. I logged in about an hour late to buy tags for my kid and myself. Glad you had a good hunt and thanks for sharing.

13-Apr-20
Hey Don, I know you are disappointed for the kids sake. my best, Paul

13-Apr-20
Well done Paul! Congrats on a great season. Love reading your stories and sharing in your successes and challenges along the way!

14-Apr-20
Another great hunt in the books and also shared on Bowsite. Thank you sir.

14-Apr-20
Love it Paul. Absolutely love it

14-Apr-20

Rio/Merriam's cross from SW Nebraska killed last season. 2019
Rio/Merriam's cross from SW Nebraska killed last season. 2019
Maybe an Eastern tom killed just two weeks ago in SW Nebraska
Maybe an Eastern tom killed just two weeks ago in SW Nebraska
compared to an Eastern tom I killed in North Carolina years back. Very similar
compared to an Eastern tom I killed in North Carolina years back. Very similar
Well guys, here is something interesting. The vast majority of the turkeys I kill in the SW part of Nebraska are Rio/Merriam's cross.(first picture) and most often have white feathers on their butts and tail. The first tom I kill this season had no white tipped feathers at all and looked more like an Eastern species. I called the SWA manager and he stated in all of the years he had been there, he had only seen one other tom like the one I had killed. So somewhere along the genic line, the Eastern gene came out. There are Eastern turkeys in East Nebraska. I am sure some of you have had similar encounters with odd colored toms.

14-Apr-20
Paul, excellent! Thanks for sharing!

14-Apr-20
Atta boy! Congrats Paul. I always enjoy reading your adventures. Makes me want to retire and follow in your tire tracks.

14-Apr-20
Congratulations, Paul! Well done!

14-Apr-20
Good read Paul and great job!

• Sitka Gear