Sitka Gear
Out of state hunters allowed for turkey?
Turkey
Contributors to this thread:
Too many bows Bob 10-Apr-20
Medicinemann 10-Apr-20
Medicinemann 10-Apr-20
Too many bows Bob 10-Apr-20
Katahdin 12-Apr-20
Too many bows Bob 12-Apr-20
Jims 12-Apr-20
writer 12-Apr-20
Katahdin 12-Apr-20
midwest 12-Apr-20
greg simon 12-Apr-20
Rgiesey 12-Apr-20
Katahdin 12-Apr-20
Jaquomo 12-Apr-20
Boris 12-Apr-20
Boris 13-Apr-20
Jaquomo 13-Apr-20
Too many bows Bob 13-Apr-20
writer 13-Apr-20
writer 13-Apr-20
Brotsky 13-Apr-20
Trophyhill 14-Apr-20
10-Apr-20
Does anyone know if out of stat hunters will be allowed into Maine for the spring turkey season?

Thanks,

TMBB

10-Apr-20
Just go on Google...… https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/fishing-and-other-outdoor-activities-are-permitted-under-gov-mills-executive-order/97-f227497f-252b-4dfb-9403-94367c2f5609

10-Apr-20

Medicinemann's Link

10-Apr-20
Thanks, but that could just be for residents. It didn't say anything about out of staters.

TMBB

12-Apr-20
At this time non resident will technically be allowed as the border is not closed. The problem comes in where is the hunter going to stay and eat with the social distancing rules. I just canned my hunt in Maryland that I have done for 20 years and they tell me one hunter is still planning to come from Indiana. It is this kind of thing that can make all of our quarantine time a waste.

12-Apr-20
I'd be staying with friends or staying at our summer home so that's not a problem. Thanks for the response. Hope you have a good season.

TMBB

12-Apr-20
Sorry to change the subject but each state seems to be a little different so it may be worth checking out all the logistics! Nebraska nonres turkey hunters that didn't already buy their tags prior to the deadline are out of luck for the 2020 spring season. Currently in Kansas and Wyoming there is a 14 day quarantine in place for nonres. I'm not exactly sure what this means? I would think that camping out in the hills would be considered self-quarantine? I would also think that staying in a hotel would be breaking the quarantine requirement? It doesn't seem like there are any firm rules and regs in place but most states are saying please stay home.

12-Apr-20
Kansas' 14-day quarantine is for non-residents from eight states, where the virus is particularly bad. We have stopped the sale of non-resident turkey permits. Those already purchased are still valid.

12-Apr-20
Bob: "staying with friends is the antithesis of what stay at home is about. Staying at your summer home seems to be withing the guidelines but, man, it's no wonder this virus keeps spreading.

12-Apr-20
Maybe we should just stay inside forever so nobody ever gets sick.

Good luck, Bob!

12-Apr-20
The virus IS GOING TO SPREAD!!! We can only hope to slow it down. Turkey hunting is a great way to social distance. Have a good hunt Bob!

12-Apr-20
I believe you could meet the definition of quarantine while fishing or turkey hunting.

12-Apr-20
There is another thread "traveling for hunting" on this site, read it, I don't think we are on the same planet.

12-Apr-20
^^^ Agreed. We are living on 50 different planets, and we apparently all speak different languages. In some states, having previously purchased a NR turkey tag apparently provides immunity from COVID transmission. In other states, shed antler hunting provides the same immunity, but fishing does not. In CO you can buy pot with no fear of contacting or spreading it.

12-Apr-20
Just saw on Ohio Dept. of Wildlife site. NR licenses are being suspended as of April 6th. I was going to get mine until I checked. Put I do have 2 tags for Pa.

13-Apr-20
I think the opening of Ohio season is the 4th of May. Maybe, just maybe we can get licenses. If not, no big deal.

13-Apr-20
Lou, I get the frustration but I also know a bunch of folks here believe in states rights over federal control. We do pick and choose don't we?

13-Apr-20
I'm all about states rights, Frank. Just seems like the officials in some states are stupider than those in other states. Guess I'll just stay in-state, smoke weed, drink whiskey and fish, and be protected from whatever comes....

13-Apr-20
I just heard back from the State of Maine. They said that there are no restrictions on out of state hunters, but that they have to self quarantine for 14 days after entering the state.

That seems to be a big restriction.

TMBB

13-Apr-20
We have counties in Kansas telling county residents to quarantine for 14 days if they've been to a few select counties in NE Kansas.

As usual, what's best is probably somewhere in the middle of what the two sides are wanting now.

13-Apr-20
Lou, you forgot to add buy and shoot guns to what you can do. At least in Kansas, gun stores can remain open. Firearms departments are the only parts open in some stores.

13-Apr-20
I guess that toilet paper shortage has gotten really bad since people are willing to use the constitution as a substitute.

14-Apr-20
Sad but true Brotsky......

14-Apr-20
Lou,

Maybe the officials in your state have been smoking too much weed;-)

• Sitka Gear