WapitiBob 11-Apr-20
Native Okie 11-Apr-20
Grasshopper 11-Apr-20
midwest 12-Apr-20
Grey Ghost 12-Apr-20
Native Okie 12-Apr-20
pirogue 12-Apr-20
11-Apr-20
Utah is taking a proactive stance in maintaining healthy numbers of big game animal by instituting predator reduction when deemed necessary. The following is new release by Utah Game and Fish:

HB 125: Division of Wildlife Resources Amendments (Predator management bill) This law authorizes the DWR director to take immediate action (under certain conditions) when a big game population is under the established herd-size objective for a management unit.

As a result of the new legislation, DWR biologists will draft management strategies to decrease the number of specific predator species in certain parts of the state, if deemed necessary. The predator species that prey on big game populations, such as deer and elk, include cougars, bears and coyotes.

New data from GPS collars helps DWR biologists determine the cause of death for many species. When biologists determine that predators are preventing the growth of big game populations, when big game populations are below their management objectives, or when several other conditions exist, the predator-management strategies will be implemented.

"Predator control may allow a suppressed, low-density deer population to increase," DWR Game Mammals Coordinator Darren DeBloois said. "These predator-management strategies will only be considered when bighorn sheep populations are under 90% of their management objectives and/or have fewer than 125 individuals in a herd, when a deer population is being suppressed by predators, and when large population declines for big game occur or are anticipated."

11-Apr-20
Great direction!

11-Apr-20
Wonder how long before the first lawsuits are filed...?

11-Apr-20
Wouldn't it be something, if "pro-wolf" states continue to see reduced numbers of elk and deer, while Utah's numbers stay healthy? It would provide a powerful rebuttal to some of the doctrine's proposed by various states favoring increased predator numbers.....let's hope that this action really shows a marked contrast between Utah and neighboring states that favorite wolf introductions over the next few years....and that the results can used in a convincing fashion.

11-Apr-20

11-Apr-20
And increase tag money

11-Apr-20
Don’t let the biologists from Colorado come over there!

They will just lower the population objectives for the big game species and keep saying that those areas are over populated with no real herd counts.

Then panic and cut licenses (especially archery but leave OTC gun seasons!) when they finally figure out they have driven the big game herds down by 90%...

11-Apr-20
So what about when wolf numbers skyrocket in Utah? Comparing wolf depredation with lion/bear depredation... they're not in the same league.

11-Apr-20
Good for Utah. Hopefully they have a handle on what happened with the wolves and elk in Idaho and take preventative measures.

11-Apr-20
That’s a start. Now if they can address the spike/cow tags.

11-Apr-20
The Bill has nothing to do with wolves.

11-Apr-20
Step in right direction, common sense.

11-Apr-20
“ The Bill has nothing to do with wolves“

Wolves are a predator last time I checked.

11-Apr-20
You didn't check Utah HB 125 and it wouldn't matter even if they were listed.

11-Apr-20
You’re right, Bob. They are not listed in the bill. Bills get amended though, if it becomes a problem the state could opt to manage could they not?

11-Apr-20
The only place Utah has control over wolves is in the upper ne corner. They can manage them in that area per their agreement with the USFWS.

11-Apr-20
Because that is where the only threat is currently. Utah has had a wolf management plan.

11-Apr-20
I have 18 deer points in Utah. For probably 18 years SFW was selling all the tags at auction, giving didly squat to the public draw for nonresidents. Supposedly the cash from all the auction licenses was going to make habitat better, control predators, and INCREASE HERDS AND LICENSES FOR ALL. WTF? the quota for nonresidents for all big game species still is awful, always has been.

I'll believe they are doing a good job if I ever can draw a tag! Think about it, 18 years of license and draw fees with nothing to show for it. I, and thousand of others are sure proving to be their stooges.

12-Apr-20
Too bad they couldn't keep the tag predators out of their state.

12-Apr-20
I had the same thought, midwest. I wonder if hunters are considered "predators" under this new bill.

Matt

12-Apr-20
Midwest x10. Yup

12-Apr-20
Utah has known they had problems for years. They haven’t been setting the archery seasons so EARLY for hunter success.

• Sitka Gear