leo17 13-Apr-20
JSW 13-Apr-20
KB 13-Apr-20
KB 13-Apr-20
160andup 13-Apr-20
Shawn 13-Apr-20
KB 13-Apr-20
11-Apr-20
Looking into hunting Kansas in the next couple years. I looked on their website but didn't find everything I was looking for. (Probably user error) Anyway, just wondering if anyone can share any info. Looking for how many preference points a guy will need to draw a non resident tag in zone 3. Is there a difference in number of points between an archery tag, gun tag, or muzzleloader tag? Any help you can give is much appreciated.

11-Apr-20
One point will get you any whitetail tag in the state. The Muley stamps for muzzleloader and archery non residents are a random draw.

11-Apr-20
Thank you!

11-Apr-20
You may draw 3 with no points, I have drawn it 3 times with none and once with one. A point will get you drawn for sure. Muley tags it is like hitting the lottery for NRs. Shawn

11-Apr-20
Do you think they will ever go to straight points for muley?

11-Apr-20
Nope, never for NR's. They have muleys but not a ton of them even. I hunt 3 and see quite a few but again not a real lot. Shawn

12-Apr-20
Was wondering can you draw a whitetail tag in zone 7-8 with no points ?

12-Apr-20
I believe you can draw most of the state with no point but it is getting tougher. I have had several friends in the last couple years not draw. Your odds are pretty good but not a slam dunk! Shawn

12-Apr-20
Unit 7 had 1810 apps for 1603 tags. Unit 8 had 2111 apps for 1940 tags. Close to 90% draw on both units. I couldn't find how many of the applicants had points but it was likely less than 10%. My guess is you have about an 80-85% chance of drawing with no points.

You would apply 7-8 first choice and 8-7 second choice to improve your odds.

13-Apr-20
The draw table on the KS website does not differentiate between rifle and bow tags. Aren’t your odds better at getting a bow tag?

13-Apr-20
No, the odds are the same for bow, rifle or muzzleloader. Each unit has a quota and they don't care what weapon is drawn to fill that quota. I don't recall the numbers but the majority of NR tags go to bowhunters.

13-Apr-20
Jim, I was under the impression your understanding of the draw was correct for as long as I’ve paid attention to it as well. However I’ve read of guys and had a friend not draw when first choice apps were very very close to the quota or even below in one case. Now it’s my understanding the department weighs an applicants entire group of 4 choices before moving on to the next hunter. A couple years ago there were guys not drawing Unit 2. It had a quota of roughly 460 tags and only 390 or so first choice apps. So guys are drawing 2nd, 3rd and 4th choices before other’s 1st. At this point I think it’s virtually impossible to calculate Kansas odds. Just this year they started giving stats on how many apps are received for each choice by unit. Even with those you don’t know who drew at which choice. GoHunt has odds listed that are different than simple first choice apps vs quota math. For instance they have 70% odds for Unit 1 while there were 925 apps for 850 tags last year. I’m assuming they have preference point data, but Im not sure how they’re doing their math. I know they have smarter guys than I.

13-Apr-20
Having said all that, statewide 91% of applicants received a tag last year. Even with zero points, utilizing all four choices and the “attach a unit” method KS allows, it’s pretty unlikely you’ll miss out on what you want. And extremely unlikely if you just want a tag, not a specific unit.

13-Apr-20
Do Kansas preference points expire if you don't purchase one every year?

13-Apr-20
If you want a specific unit you make it your first choice and than reverse it. So I hunt 3 and put in for 3 and 1 than I put in for 1 and 3. I have drawn every year but did have a point one year. I bought a point this year so I will draw next year for sure. Shawn

13-Apr-20
Points are good for 5 years of inactivity I believe.

• Sitka Gear