El Je-bow 28-Apr-20
Dan Mallia 03-Dec-20
t-roy 03-Dec-20
Dino 03-Dec-20
Dino 04-Dec-20
Jpayne 04-Dec-20
Too many bows Bob 04-Dec-20
12-Apr-20
I have been considering using a new broad head for turkeys this year. I have used the Magnus Snuffer SS for many years and I have used them on turkeys before. I need backups for my two Bullhead arrows since I have missed before. I'm considerin a mechanical but i'm not convinced yet. Any solid ideas?

12-Apr-20
Vortex is deadly in turkeys.

12-Apr-20
Big mechs are the ticket. Vortex 2 1/2" 100 gr. or 2 3/4" 125's are excellent.

12-Apr-20

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I have killed over 50 turkeys and 85 geese using the NAP Shockwave Mec BH. Tough head and blades and can be re sharpened or blades replaces.
I have killed over 50 turkeys and 85 geese using the NAP Shockwave Mec BH. Tough head and blades and can be re sharpened or blades replaces.

12-Apr-20
I have 5 Vortex 2.75” 125’s in my quiver as we speak (or type). I have personally had good results with them. Bigger the better in my book.

—Jim

12-Apr-20
I've killed a pile with Jak Hammers. The last 4 or 5 have been with Spitfire Maxx 125's. Big mechs are the way to go for turks!

12-Apr-20
Are the Vortex and the shockwaves available? Where?

12-Apr-20
Vortex is online only to my knowledge. They ship pretty quick though.

—Jim

12-Apr-20
Vortex is also a Bowsite sponsor.

12-Apr-20
The 2 3/4" Vortex is pretty nasty on turkeys. I am almost out of my old Turkey Tomahawks that Rocket broadheads used to make. Then I'll likely go back to the big Vortex heads.

12-Apr-20
I’m with Paul on this. I’ve killed a few turkeys in my day, mostly with my shotgun but the times that I have used a bow, I’ve had great luck with the NAP products. Paul uses the Shockwave and I have used that particular BH but have used the Spitfire more often. Both are great!

12-Apr-20
I recently saw the Shockwaves at the Sportsman's Warehouse and also from the company, NAP. Use to purchase them at Walmart on sale for 19$ per 3.

12-Apr-20
I've had great luck with 2.75" vortex, NAP FOC and now I really like the 3" 150 gr. Swhacker.

12-Apr-20

Errorhead's embedded Photo
I like the 3" Swhackers. Last four turkeys have been DRT.

12-Apr-20
Big mechanicals really are the ticket if you're looking to purchase a BH just for turkeys. I've killed several with fixed blades as well, just keep in mind the kill zone is very small. If you shoot one too far forward (breast) you won't recover it.

12-Apr-20
Another vote for a big expandable. I’ve had good success with Vortex, Rocket Sidewinders and Hammerheads. I’m using Bullheads as my primary head now, but I’ve got a couple of Sidewinders in the quiver as a backup for longer shots.

12-Apr-20
I’ve killed about 35 turkeys. I used all fixed heads, whatever I was using for big game at the time. That included Slick Trick, Exodous, Magnus Serazors, and a few others. They work just fine for me.

13-Apr-20

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo
The biggest mechanical you can find that flies well for you. I’ve had good luck with the Rage Extreme

13-Apr-20
Wasp Jak-Hammer 13/4 cut

13-Apr-20
Lots of good heads pointed out here. For some reason I can't try/use one of them heads that are designed only for headshots.

I've used 3 heads with good success. One and my favorite is the rocket hammer head, its 3 blades that open to 2 inches, second rocket sidewinder, it's also a 3 blade, that opens to 1 ½ inches or is it 1¾ inches?? Both of these heads shoot exactly like my field points..

The third for the life of me I can't remember its name for sure. But it's a 2 blade closed that opens to I believe 2 inches and has a cut on contact tip that's about ½ inch. A friend gave me a few, a few years back. The body of this heads are gold and the name maybe battle ax, but not sure. All 3 fold open backwards.

But my all time favorite for turks is the hammerhead. And I'm a firm believer in aiming straight up the leg on a side shot. Ed

14-Apr-20

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Here's the blood trail from a 2 3/4" 3 blade mechanical I used this morning. Felt like I was deer hunting with the sign and bone-chilling weather. I let him run off and went looking 45 minutes later. He piled up 40 yards into the timber but I was impressed with the sign. This broadhead is very similar to the Rocket hammerhead.

14-Apr-20
You don't see blood trails much on turkeys!!

Hawkeye, what head is this that opens to 2¾ and what weigh is it ? Ed

14-Apr-20
I agree Ed. This head is called the Turkey Tom-O-Hawk which was made by Rocket broadheads back in the day. I have maybe 5-6 left over and am always hunting for more:) Great turkey head with the Rocket hammerheads being very effective also.

14-Apr-20
I’m considering hunting in a horse pasture so the arrows HAVE to be recovered. Hit or miss. What are your experiences recovering arrows in the May grass with big mechanicals.

14-Apr-20
Been there,faced that.If not using bullheads,suspect you'd be better off with big mechs-hoping they'll deploy and kick up rather than skip and bury.For sure have bright fletching.

14-Apr-20
+1 Scoot

I would add if you shoot the Bullhead then get three 5" helical feathers on your arrows.

Will not only aid in your accuracy but with give it more drag through the air and grass to slow it down much quicker.

14-Apr-20
"I’m considering hunting in a horse pasture so the arrows HAVE to be recovered. Hit or miss. What are your experiences recovering arrows in the May grass with big mechanicals."

In my cases, mine either do not fully penetrate or are within 10 yards (Vortex 125 2 3/4", 65#-70#, 450 gr. arrow). Generally easy arrow recoveries.

14-Apr-20

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Don't think I've ever lost an arrow to a turkey. If I do get a pass through, the arrow doesn't seem to go far.

14-Apr-20
Feathers are hard to cut and turkey are light and absorb a lot of the arrow's energy so over-penetration with big heads has never been an issue for me.

16-Apr-20
Only arrow I ever lost was, of all things, a bullhead on a dead turkey. No clue what happened to it. Know what happened to the turkey, though.

17-Apr-20
Nobody uses bullheads out thier?

17-Apr-20

Since I have been rapping my arrow shafts with hunter orange color, I have not lost any arrows, when goose or turkey hunting, regardless of BH.
Since I have been rapping my arrow shafts with hunter orange color, I have not lost any arrows, when goose or turkey hunting, regardless of BH.

17-Apr-20

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
WI Sheadhead........I use Bullheads as my primary turkey head, but I’ve got a couple of expandables in the quiver as backups.

17-Apr-20
Me too. My kids all shoot them too

17-Apr-20

MikeSohm/Magnus's embedded Photo
MikeSohm/Magnus's embedded Photo
Take their heads off and join the decapatation nation. if you damage one email us a picture of the damaged blade or broadhead and we replace. good luck hunting and stay healthy

17-Apr-20
t-roy you are one sick puppy

17-Apr-20

Snizzler's embedded Photo
Snizzler's embedded Photo
Magnus Bullheads drop em' in their tracks. Lifetime guarantee and they are sending me replacements for the damaged heads. Awesome service.

17-Apr-20
Snizzler.......Mike with Magnus replaces damaged broadheads, not turkey heads!! ;-)

APauls....I almost cut that bottom one’s pecker clear off!

17-Apr-20
I must have flinched, Scoot!

18-Apr-20

leftee's embedded Photo
leftee's embedded Photo
bullheads.

18-Apr-20

Warden609 's embedded Photo
Warden609 's embedded Photo

18-Apr-20

bud's embedded Photo
bud's embedded Photo
If you can find old snuffers 3 blades they do real good. Got this one this morning you can look where his neck meets his body notice missing feathers. Make heck of a hole. Part of lungs and other organs under right wing at exit hole. Went about 3 steps.

18-Apr-20

JTreeman's embedded Photo
Here is one from this morning with the big 2.75” Vortex. Cut the top of his heart off (just lucky). That’s a lot of blood for a turkey!

—Jim

18-Apr-20
Jtreeman that sucker had a lot blood in him lol. Heck of a swath cut thru!

18-Apr-20

Matt's embedded Photo
Matt's embedded Photo
Another Vortex 125 gr. 2 3/4" victim.

18-Apr-20
I don't shoot a heavy bow ( 55#) ,will it drive an arrow deep enough with a big mechanical head to ethically take a bird?

18-Apr-20
I killed the bird above with 65# and a 430 gr. arrow.

18-Apr-20
Looks like a gorgeous bird, Matt! Any other pics of him?

18-Apr-20

Horniac's embedded Photo
Killed a few with the Rage Extreme Turkey broadhead...
Horniac's embedded Photo
Killed a few with the Rage Extreme Turkey broadhead...
Horniac's embedded Photo
Horniac's embedded Photo
Horniac's embedded Photo
Horniac's embedded Photo

18-Apr-20
Jack -- yes, especially with a heavy arrow. I've shot several with a 125-grain Vortex knock-off, at 58 pounds and no problems. Well, no problems for me. The turkeys, however....

19-Apr-20
t-roy, unfortunately not. The downside is that is the best pic I got. The upside is that I (likewise unfortunately) learned I could beat Lafemine in a foot race.

19-Apr-20
Thanks Writer

19-Apr-20
Nice birds everyone. I'm listening to them gobble everywhere but where I am. Lol!

19-Apr-20
Hammerheads. Big cutting diameter and fewer pass throughs are good when it comes to turkeys.

20-Apr-20
I still have 3 Buckblasters and I leave the permanent blades off, to keep them near 100gr. I think they're 110gr without em.

Rage also has a 4 blade turkey head, two fixed and two expandable. Not as big as a cut as the Buckblasters, but the two fixed blades have a gouge/hook in them to catch feathers or meat in order to lessen the penetration.

25-Apr-20
I was going to order some bullheads from Magnus, til I saw they wanted over $63 to ship a $70 order. Bob

26-Apr-20
Killed a lot of birds with the original Rocket Steelhead, now the G5 Tekan...

26-Apr-20

Matt's embedded Photo
Matt's embedded Photo
Another Vortex kill from earlier today. 10 yard shot, 30 yard recovery. Still trying to regain my mojo from the year I shot 3 birds with a combined 6 yard recovery.

27-Apr-20
Beauty, Matt!

27-Apr-20

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
Went turkey hunting for the first time Saturday and re-used the Vortex I ran through my mulie. Same blades and all. The stainless steel version. Did the trick. Hit right anything works - but I didn’t hit him right lol. He was jogging away after the gig was up. Thankful for large cutting diameter.

28-Apr-20
I’ve killed 3 this year all with my elk/mule deer heads. Iron will 100g. Body shots on all of em and all died within 3 yards

03-Dec-20
I'm a Bullhead guy myself!

03-Dec-20
You’re pretty hard on the Cali turkey population too, Dan!

03-Dec-20
I am with Joehunter. Wasp Jak hammers ! One amazing broadhead!

04-Dec-20
I am with Joehunter. Wasp Jak hammers ! One amazing broadhead!

04-Dec-20

Jpayne's embedded Photo
Jpayne's embedded Photo
Bullheads work for geese too! Jeff

04-Dec-20
I'll tell you what has worked well for me. I hunt from a blind and use a mechanical broadhead, and I also put a "grasshopper" on the shaft to limit the penetration. I want the arrow to stay in the turkey to impinge his ability to run. I also use a string tracker, and the system has worked very well for me. TMBB

• Sitka Gear