KSflatlander 20-May-23
BIGERN 20-May-23
midwest 20-May-23
Tobpitbull 20-May-23
Mailman 20-May-23
PushCoArcher 20-May-23
Mailman 20-May-23
13-Apr-20
With Stick and String by yooper archer Lon Emrick. Good read and he sure was right on where archery/bow hunting "sport" would go.

13-Apr-20
I can't read

13-Apr-20
The Good Book....

13-Apr-20
Here are few I have read in the last few months that are worth the time.

Against the Gods, Peter L Bernstein. Never Spit the Difference, Chris Voss. The Pioneers, David McCullough. Boone, Robert Morgan. Your not so Smart, David McRaney.

13-Apr-20
Rereading Old Duck Hunters & Drivel by Gordon MacQuarry. One of my favorite outdoor writers.

13-Apr-20
Stephen King - The Stand. We don't have it so bad.

13-Apr-20

Mule Power's embedded Photo
Mule Power's embedded Photo
Since I was born 150 years too late I love books about the original mountain men.

Each chapter highlights a different legendary trapper/hunter/explorer. This is a really good one. Those guys had balls!

13-Apr-20
Like Mule, I also enjoy reading "Mountain Men" adventures. Here are a few.

Tales of the Mountain - Lamar Underwood ........ Crow Killer - Raymond Thorp & Robert Bunker ........ Liver Eating Johnson .......... Big Sky - A.B. Guthrie, JR. .........The Mountain Men - George Laycock ....... Under the Biggest Sky of All - Ron Mills ........ Mountain Man - Vardis Fisher ......

Also books depicting the lives of mountain men such as .... Kit Carson, .... Jim Bridger ... James P. Beckwourth .... Hugh Glass ...

13-Apr-20
Amen Charlie! I’ve recently finished Wild at Heart, The Circle Maker and Whisper by Batterson

13-Apr-20
Im reading The Frontiersman by Allan Eckert for 3rd time lol excellent book

13-Apr-20
I'm reading Undaunted Courage at the moment. It's the story of Lewis and Clark. Very interesting and really makes you think about what an adventure it was.

Prior to that was Alone in the Wilderness. True adventure of Richard Proenneke building a cabin and living over a year in Alaska.

Best so far though is No Better Friend. If you like dogs or WW2 stories you will like this...if you like both it's even better. True story as well.

Mule Power I'm putting that one next on my list. Guessing much of it could be in the Lewis and Clark era.

13-Apr-20

ESP's embedded Photo
ESP's embedded Photo
Undaunted Courage is a good book . The Frontiersman is another good read along with The Dark and Bloody River. Right now I’m reading this

13-Apr-20
And the Sea Will Tell: Vincent Bugliosi, Bruce Henderson

13-Apr-20
That Wild Country. By Wired to Hunt Guy. Mark Kenyon

13-Apr-20
Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. Great read about the Tarahumara Indians and their ability to run extreme distance. Has a fascinating tie with primitive hunting later in the book. BTW I am not a runner and I loved it.

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. Addresses the how, when, and why of how we in America get our food. Enlightening and certainly makes me happy to have a freezer full of meat.

Lasso the Wind by Timothy Egan. Analyzes many environmental issues out west. A bit dated now but great read. Any book by this author is good reading including The Worst Hard Time- about the dust bowl. The Big Burn- history of the massive wildfire in Oregon/Idaho etc with great history of Theodore Roosevelt as well as Gifford Pinchot and the start of the US forest service.

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. Amazing story of the fight for his life by the author who was a Neurosurgeon who developed lung cancer at an early age.

13-Apr-20
Just finished “Wild Bill: The True Story of the American Frontier’s First Gunman” by Tom Clavin. Good read.

“A River of Doubt” about Teddy Roosevelt’s travel up the Amazon is a good one,

13-Apr-20
Anyone who loves Alaska needs to read Shadows on the Koyukuk...

13-Apr-20

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo

13-Apr-20
I would highly recommend for everybody all the books by CJ box. He writes about a game warden in Wyoming named Joe Pickett. Joe always seems to get in the middle of a major controversy. Really great books and a great way to pass time

13-Apr-20

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
I am prepping for a polar bear hunt next year in Antarctica. I am currently reading this book hoping to pick up a couple of tips. It is a good read.

13-Apr-20

South Farm's embedded Photo
South Farm's embedded Photo
Here's my latest read, mostly about hunting in Wisconsin from about the late 1800's through the Great Depression era.

13-Apr-20
Greg. You are going to be Disappointed on that polar bear hunt in antartica They don't live there. Penguin shooting should be spectacular !!

I'm sure you meant the artic

Just messing with you. Be safe

13-Apr-20
No RK- I plan to be the first bowhunter to hunt polar bear in Antartica. Since they have never been hunted there its got to me loaded with some monsters. They are importable into the US. Have already cleared this with US Fish & Wildlife. They are also cleared of any CITES regulations.

My greatest concern whether they will be acceptable in the P&Y record book. They always are pickey about where animals are hunted.

14-Apr-20
Any of Stephen Ambrose's books, just finished The Supreme Commander about Ike's WWll years. Before that it was Crazy Horse and Custer, both excellent reads.

14-Apr-20
Who's*

14-Apr-20
Working 70 hours a week, so not a lot of time for reading. While I envy folks reading, as that's what I'd rather be doing, I'm so very thankful to have a job/paycheck.

Stay safe and good health to all of you.

14-Apr-20
Just finished "A Pope and a President" for the 2nd time. Should be required reading for every High School Junior or Senior. It tells the tale of the relationship between Pope John Paul II and President Ronald Reagan. It will enlighten you to what has transpired, right under our noses since the 1920's. Stay safe and stay vigilant. May God bless us all.

14-Apr-20
Reading the second book of John Scalzi's 'Collapsing Empire' trilogy. The third book should be arriving any day. 'Space opera' type s/f at its best ;-) Also have a copy of Kroller's 'Shots on Whitetails' on order from E-bay (a great source of cheap used books.)

14-Apr-20
Great thread! I’ll also suggest Empire of the Summer Moon. Amazing story. Gonna be buying some books today!

14-Apr-20
GH I am a big fan of CJ Box and the Joe Pickett books are a great read. I would encourage that you start with the first book and follow them in order so that you can follow the continuing stories. His novels are also great books also but they also should be read in order.

14-Apr-20
Rereading Goodby Darkness by William Manchester.A great author takes on his own past demons by revisiting the Pacific Islands he fought on in WW2.Spell binding,haunting.If you served,particularly as a marine,highly recommended.

14-Apr-20
Great book, read it without stopping, thank you very much! I read it instead of the assignment at the university, I could especially not do it thanks to https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/government/, because I found a lot of useful material there. Essays on government brought me a lot of knowledge and I could read the book calmly

14-Apr-20
Another vote for C J Box. I just received two more, and will get after them soon. Right now reading Circling the Sun by Paula McLain.

14-Apr-20
Buffalo 1

I wish you nothing but the best I on your quest!! Please sent pics once your adventure is completed :)

14-Apr-20
In the Heart of the Sea - Nathaniel Philbrick ...... the TRUE story of the tragedy of the whaleship "Essex".

Set in 1838 - 1842, depicts the hardship of the whale ship, Essex and what the crew had to endure after the attack of a giant whale.. A couple of the surviving crew members kept a diary so the accounts are quite real and ..... resorting to cannibalism.

It was a gift to me for a flight back from Florida a couple months ago. Once I got reading it, I couldn't put it down.

14-Apr-20
Black Hills - Dan Simmons

About Papa Samoa and the construction of Mt Rushmore, very interesting read.

14-Apr-20
Buffalo1 I am familiar with the Shackleton story and have meant to read the book for years. Will track it down.

14-Apr-20
Yep, finished CJ Box, Wolf Pack and Olive Cussler;s Celtic Empire. Rereading, People of the Mist. And if anyone is into science, history and archaeology, read, Charles Mann's book titled, 1491, new revelations of the Americas before Columbus.

Of Course there are many Louis L'amour books, I have read at least 50 plus. Boys In The Boat,by Daniel BRown, is a great read about a 8 man American rowing crew training for the 1936 Olympics in Germany, Very inspiring. ANd if you like to run, read, Born To Run by Christopher McDougall. my best, Paul

14-Apr-20

KSflatlander's embedded Photo

14-Apr-20

PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
Pretty excited for this one, scheduled to be released next week. Have a copy on pre-order at the local fly shop. Been re-reading some of his older work in anticipation.

14-Apr-20
PoudreCanyon - THANKS ! I wasn't sure when the next John Gierach book was due out. I own all the others, been a fan since I picked up 'Trout Bum' back in the early 90's.

14-Apr-20
Seems a lot of us like the same authors/genres. A lot of great books mentioned here.

14-Apr-20
Totally forgot to mention our own Hawkeye's book Crimson Arrows. Great read written by a terrific fellow Bowsiter!

14-Apr-20
I love to read also. I've read all the C. J.Box/Joe Pickett books. Another series that I enjoyed is about Maine game warden, Mike Bowditch, by Paul Doiron. Then, the Sacketts and others by Louis L'Amour. You might also enjoy the Longmire series by Craig Johnson and the Cork O'Connor series by William Kent Krueger that takes place in the north woods and lakes of Minnesota. Presently, I have started War and Peace that I first read 40-50 years ago. Pray for me.

14-Apr-20
Where the crawdads sing,The War Journal of Col.Rocky Gause,The Old Man and the Boy(for the jillionth time)Lewis

14-Apr-20
Current book - Building Citizenship (Hughes 1944). Previous two - The Two Ocean War (Morison 1963), The Turn of the Tide (Bryant 1957)

15-Apr-20
If you like action, adventure and larger than life heroes, try this one - the biography of Alex Dumas, whose troubled life inspired his son Alexandre, author of "The Count of Monte Christo' and 'The Three Musketeers' - https://www.amazon.com/Black-Count-Revolution-Betrayal-Cristo/dp/0307382478

15-Apr-20
Lewis. " Where the Crawdads Sing.' Last year I was in a local coffee shop reading and looked over to the next table where this gal was also reading. In a quick glance, I caught the title but especially the word, crawdad. I ask her what the book was all about and she gave me an overview; a story of a young girl from North Carolina. While I have not read it, my wife being from North Carolina loves the book as many of her friends do also. Interesting how books get circulated and acknowledged. my best, Paul

15-Apr-20
My daughters have agreed to go hunting with me but not for something they have to pull a trigger on and kill. They have agreed to go hunting for gold with me in the north Georgia mountains. Yesterday my new book arrived "Fists Full of Gold, How You Can Find Gold In The Mountains And Deserts" by Chris Ralph. A complete guide to the art of prospecting. I started reading it last night and made all the way to page 3 before I fell asleep reading.

15-Apr-20
Paul Where the Crawdads Sing is indeed set on the North Carolina coast and the book was recommended to my wife.It started out looking to be a girlie read but when I got started I couldn’t put it down.The Old Man and the Boy is also set in N Carolina and written by Robert Ruark just a great read with many life’s lessons. Good read for young and old.Stay Safe Lewis

15-Apr-20
I looked through hiker trash vogue the other night lol

15-Apr-20
An old one by Robert Rourke I recommend if you have never read it " The Old Man and The Boy" (one of my favorites). Any of you old-timers remember that one ?

15-Apr-20

INbowdude's embedded Photo
Crimson Arrows: A Bowhunting Odyssey by our very own "Hawkeye" Eyad Yehyawi and of course a shameless plug for my own book, "Pig Tales and Other Hunting Adventures".

15-Apr-20
Ground Hunter, I believe I have the book you are talking about. Journal of a Trapper written by Osborne Russell. He was in the Rocky Mountains trapping with Jim Bridger and his outfit. I believe he was trapping in the mountains for 9 years. I read the book a few years ago and will read it again next. I am reading the book written about Paul Schafer entitled Silvertip. It was written by Robert Windauer. Also my second time to read that one. A very good read.

15-Apr-20
I have recently, since this "what book post" was posted, sent two books I have read and do not need any more, to two other bowsiters who have contributed to this post. I am looking forward and waiting for a book to be sent to me by one other poster.

This is a great post, thanks Ground Hunter. my best, paul

15-Apr-20
Where the Crawdads sing was a very good book.

Last year, I decided to focus on non-fiction. I started with political history and am now doing more modern political stuff.

Here are some very eye opening books.

The Worst President in History, The legacy of Barack Obama. Every American should read this.

Republicans Buy Sneakers Too. By Clay Thomas

The Righteous Mind, Why Good People are Divided Politically and Religiously

15-Apr-20
Since the craziness started..,

SeaWolf, Call of the Wild, Around the World in 80 days and now working on The Man in the Iron Mask....

But I’ll take a look at some of these other titles when the libraries reopen. Always did enjoy Geirach....

16-Apr-20

Jeff Holchin 's embedded Photo
Monty Browning is an awesome bowhunter
Jeff Holchin 's embedded Photo
Monty Browning is an awesome bowhunter
This is a great book, I highly recommend it.

16-Apr-20
Matthew Kelly’s “ Resisting Happiness”. I reread chapter 10 often

16-Apr-20
Inshart x2!

In the Heart if the Sea is a great book. Lee

16-Apr-20
Just finishing Man-Eaters of India by Jim Corbett. He was one hell of a hunter/tracker

16-Apr-20
One of my all time favorite books is "Where The Red Fern Grows". Mark

16-Apr-20

20-Apr-20
Vince Flynn, Brad Thor and then CJ Box.

20-Apr-20

Dirtman's Link
Groundhunter is the book your referring to?

21-Apr-20
"Bowhunting" is a good one. I think that someone needs to write a review about it at https://eduzaurus.com/free-essay-samples/police-brutality/ for those who have not read this book. I think many will be interested in it.

21-Apr-20
American Buffalo by Steve Renella was a entertaining read. Right now its Robby Denning Hunting Big Mule Deer, also read The Rape of Nanking. Those Japs were brutal people.

24-Apr-20
I finished reading THE ENDURANCE last night. An awesome read- highly recommend.

My next read is LETTERS FROM THE EARTH by Mark Twain. I read this book back in 1992. I laughed so hard at some of Twain’s writing. Time to refresh myself on some of his humor.

24-Apr-20
I am reading "Empire of the Summer Moon" and as others have said it's an amazing read.

24-Apr-20
Okay, I'm going to jump the tracks here a little. I just finished reading, Gregg Allman's Book, "My Cross To Bear". I found it hard to put down. Although, I'm 59 going on 60, I still enjoy my "Old Southern Rock".

24-Apr-20

EJG's embedded Photo
EJG's embedded Photo
I typically read a lot of fiction but a non- fiction book I read recently that was great was Labyrinth of Ice. Another artic exploration book. Talk about us not having it so bad, epic hardships and triumphs in this book.the author is amazing at telling a story

28-Apr-20
"Alaska's Wolf man" The 1915-1955 wilderness adventures of Frank Glaser "Lions in the path " by Stewart Edward White

28-Apr-20

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Must read “Harris and Me” by G Paulsen
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Must read “Harris and Me” by G Paulsen
I just listen to this book on audible with by 12 yr old. It his favorite book! I haven’t laughed so much out loud reading a book in a long time! I read many books but it’s nice to such an enjoyable quick read/listen. Highly recommend it!

28-Apr-20

ESP's embedded Photo
New one to read
ESP's embedded Photo
New one to read

28-Apr-20
ESP, I've read all of those and they're all great. Ambrose and Eckert are great authors. Growing up in Western PA I really liked That Dark and Bloody River. So much of that history is still present in the names of places up there. Empire of the Summer Moon was awesome too.

I was gonna recommend Labyrinth of Ice as well but got beaten to the punch there too! I've listened to a couple of Levy books and they've all been great. The other one I really like that he did was on Cortez. The book is called Conquistador.

I've become a fan of Jack Carr and his series of books. His newest one just came out (Savage Son). His series is about an ex-Navy SEAL named James Reece (Jack is also an ex-SEAL turned author) who gets into some interesting situations (Chris Pratt bought the book rights and is apparently turning it into a series). The outdoors, hunting, and specifically bowhunting in his latest all feature very prominently in the story lines. They're a fun fictional read.

28-Apr-20
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Watership Down is also an annual read.

28-Apr-20
Just finished That Wild Country by Mark Kenyo Enjoyable, worth the read.

28-Apr-20
"Whitefeather" I have read it several times!! Carlos Hathcock the greatest pure shot that ever lived!! Shawn

23-May-20
That Wild Country. By Wired to Hunt Guy. Mark Kenyon

23-May-20

A super read. There is more to it than golf !

23-May-20
A super read. There is more to it than golf !

23-May-20
Where the Red Fern Grows x 2!

23-May-20
Started reading the Joe Pickett series by C.J. Box. I have only read 3 books since I was forced to in high school. That was 40 years ago. Thanks to this thread, I decided to get a C J Box book and give it a try. Great move on my part!

23-May-20

23-May-20

24-May-20
“A River of Doubt” about Teddy Roosevelt’s travel up the Amazon is a good one,......"

Yes it is. I read a year ago for the first time. After reading it, the LAST place on earth I ever want to go to is the Amazon region for one reason......THE PARASITES THAT CAN SWIM UP YOUR URINE STREAM AND ENTER YOUR BODY IF YOU PEE IN THE RIVER!!!! YIKES!!!!

24-May-20
There's 2 other great authors who's series I've read a few times.

First is Patrick O'Brian's naval series during the Napoleonic wars about British sea captain Jack Aubrey and his friend/associate Dr. Stephen Maturin. A movie was made of this based on 3 of the books....."Master and Commander, Far Side Of The World".

The other is the Archer's Tale series by Bernard Cornwell, one of which is "Agincourt", a GREAT read........

"..........He turned and lowered his bow so that it lay horizontally in front of him and he laid the arrow across the stave and trapped the shaft with his left thumb as he engaged the cord. He swung the long bow upright as his right hand took the arrow's fledged end and drew it back with the cord.

"We're not to shoot," one of the archers said.

"Don't waste an arrow!" another put in.

The cord was at Hook's right ear. His eyes searched the smoke- shrouded ground outside the town and he saw a crossbowman step from behind a pavise decorated with the symbol of crossed axes.

"You can't shoot as far as they can", the first archer warned him.

But Hook had learned the bow from childhood. He had strengthen himself until he could pull the cord of the largest war bows, and he had taught himself that a man did not aim with the eye, but with the mind. You saw, and then you willed the arrow, and the hands instinctively twitched to point the bow, and the crossbowman was bringing up his heavy weapon as the two bolts seared the evening air close to Hook's head.

But he was oblivious. It was like the moment in the greenwood when the deer showed for an instant between the leaves, and the arrow would fly without the archer knowing he had even loosed the string. "The skill is all between your ears, boy," a villager had told him years before, "all between your ears". You don't aim a bow, you think where the arrow will go, and it goes." Hook released.

"You *** **** fool," an archer said, and Hook watched the white goose feathers flicker in the white-hazed air and saw the arrow fall faster than a stooping hawk. Steel-tipped, silk-bound, ash- shafted, feathered death flying in the evening's quiet.............."

24-May-20
Fred Bear’s Field Notes Among the Grizzlies by Timothy Treadwell Meet Mr. Grizzly by Montague Stevens. One-armed houndsman chases griz with hounds in the southwest in the late 1800’s Alaska Trophies Won and Lost by G.O. Young

30-Jul-20
Reading a song of ice and fire.

30-Jul-20
I was recently asked at the university to write material on trigonometry and I had to take apart one book to write everything correctly. Ultimately, I ran out of energy and decided to turn to https://essayontime.com.au/trigonometry-assignment-help for help with this, and as expected, they handled it just gorgeous. From now on I will constantly turn to them for help.

30-Jul-20
After wanna read The Witcher.

30-Jul-20
Seven Days in Utopia - gorgeous book, absolutely agree!

30-Jul-20
About every Vince Flynn and Brad Thor book written. And Crow Killer which was pretty good.

06-Aug-20
Currently reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. https://essayontime.com.au/trigonometry-assignment-help

06-Aug-20

Whocares's embedded Photo
Whocares's embedded Photo
Will never finish it by season start...if ever!

06-Aug-20
Any book my Mark Batterson

07-Aug-20

bobocat's Link
Mark Batterson is a good writer

07-Aug-20

bobocat's Link
Currently reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. An excellent book, I recommend reading this to all fans of this genre. I learned about the book from this source when I was looking for examples of papers for my work and accidentally stumbled upon several on this book and it interested me very much.

07-Aug-20
Actually just finished Undaunrted Courage and looking for my next option. Mountain Men will be on my list!

13-Jan-23
Re-reading John Gierach's "At the Grave of the Unknown Fisherman"

13-Jan-23

Pete In Fairbanks's embedded Photo
Pete In Fairbanks's embedded Photo
Here is a fun read... And if you order it direct from me, it helps my "retirement fund!"

Pete

13-Jan-23
The Operator by Rob O'neill Outstanding read

13-Jan-23
Just read the Civil War trilogy Gods and Generals, Killer Angels, and The Last Full Measure. If you are into Civil War history, it is good historical fiction. Just borrowed the biography of US Grant. A little formidable at over 1000 pages, so I haven't started yet.

13-Jan-23
I'm a huge reader, usually have at least two going. Right now it's Alan Eckerts "Dark and Bloody River" and Pat McManus' " Real Ponies Don't Go 'Oink'"

13-Jan-23

nvgoat's embedded Photo
nvgoat's embedded Photo
Amazing true story.

13-Jan-23
Just finishing the Old Man’s Boy grows Older again gotta like Robert Ruark Lewis

13-Jan-23
Animal Farm and A Brave New World are two of my favorites, Count of Monte Cristo will likely be an all time #1 for me. Til We Have Faces is a great mythology-type book by CS Lewis.

In the hunting realm, A Hunter’s Road is a great book on a bird hunting road trip for the bird dog group on here, and Green Hills of Africa by Hemingway is a great one as well. Hunting Trips of a Ranchman by Teddy Roosevelt gives a great perspective of “what once was”

13-Jan-23
I'm currently reading Paul Doiron's excellent fictional series about a Maine game warden, Mike Bowditch. Great stuff.

13-Jan-23
Oh man, somebody liked that Gods and Generals? That author is not his father.

You all read Crawdads right? Even the movie was good.

No real standouts, Slow Horses was good, mick herron atomic habits is decent for a self help i’m getting hooked on those Tony Hillerman books about the navajo sheriff, kind of murder mystery set in NM, starts with “The Blessing way”

Orphan X was OK, The Devils Hand by jack carr was good

Ive been reading some LeCarre stuff, its alright

The one I liked but hate to recommend is, A gentleman in Moscow…slow, a snapshot of Russia going from soverignty to the Bolsheveks…..not for everyone unless you really like historical fiction

13-Jan-23
The only book I read is the only book you need, the Bible.

13-Jan-23
Last couple months: Stolen Focus (good read about why societally we seem to have lost the ability to not be distracted) Psychology of Money - Interesting book about how we think about money Liar's Poker - an old one but interesting The Splendid and The Vile - about Churchill and London during WWII The Empire of Pain - About the Sackler family - the family that developed oxycontin

14-Jan-23

DanaC's Link
Chase (Boggs) You mentioned 'The Count of Monte Christo' so I'll repeat a recommendation I made two years ago-

If you like action, adventure and larger than life heroes, try this one - the biography of Alex Dumas, whose troubled life inspired his son Alexandre, author of "The Count of Monte Christo' and 'The Three Musketeers' - https://www.amazon.com/Black-Count-Revolution-Betrayal-Cristo/dp/0307382478

14-Jan-23
I’m currently reading “The world played chess” by Robert Dugoni. Clay Hays’ Surviving Alone” Michael Easter “The Comfort Crisis” are some of my favorite books with outdoor themes.

15-Jan-23
Phil Robertson has written 6 books that I know of . Just finished the sixth one . He flat out tells it like it is .

15-Jan-23
All the Jack Carr books are good, same with Brad Thor.

Started Mark Greaney, and it is awesome.

Heat 2, the sequel to the 80's movie, book is awesome.

Fearless about Adam Brown.

Make your Bed and Sea Stories by Admiral McRaven.

Right kind of Crazy by Clint Emerson.

Ghost by Fred Burton.

15-Jan-23

BC's embedded Photo
BC's embedded Photo
Good one. Interesting read if you like history.

15-Jan-23
I should add David Goggins can't hurt me to that list too.

15-Jan-23
Some of my favorites……

Bernard Cornwell - Saxon series and Sharpe series.

Candice Millard- River of Doubt, Destiny of the Republic.

SC Gwynne- Comanche moon, Rebel yell , Hymns of the Republic.

Erik Larson- In the garden of beasts, Devil in the white city.

15-Jan-23

jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
https://www.amazon.com/Klasberg-North-Dakota-Collected-Stories/dp/B09B5ZBQCJ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=28FEDPBWIAWMI&keywords=klasberg&qid=1673813239&sprefix=klasberg%2Caps%2C261&sr=8-1

A nice short read for a winter's day

15-Jan-23
"The Comfort Crisis" Michael Easter

15-Jan-23
And another recommendation for THE BOYS IN THE BOAT. Also was mesmerized by Bernards CHASING ALASKA. The latter has a young newspaper guy moving to AK and finding out a relative was a famous artic explorer who would spend winters with his relatively small boat locked in ice. He then chronicled those explorations.

16-Jan-23
All humor books by Pat McManus. So much fun to read.

All of the Texas, cowboy, loghorn, treasure, and folklore books by J. Frank Dobie. He captured and wrote about many things I have not read elsewhere. Peter Capstick Africa hunting books.

16-Jan-23
Don Hunter's -- Wind Horses. Story of a cattle drive in the late 1800 from Old Mexico to Montana. Lots of drama and young men just trying to be good cowboys.

James Patterson's-- Death of the Black Widow. Wow! what a story line and mystery. How does Patterson come up this these types of story lines????

Now reading, Hampton Sides,--Ghost Soldiers. Story of WW2, greatest rescue mission. Was made into a movie.

16-Jan-23
“Resisting Happiness” Matthew Kelly.

25-Jan-23
I just finished a few…

“Memory man” Baldachi is good, a psychotic crime drama

“What Happened to the Bennets” is good, its different, family that has everything gets itself in big trouble

25-Jan-23
Am currently reading, "To Wake The Giant, A Novel Of Pearl Harbor", by Jeff Shaara. I've read all his other WW2 books and this one is a good one.

I also read Jeff Shaara's, "Frozen Hours", a novel of the Korean War focusing on the fighting between the American forces and the Chinese at the Chosin Reservior. I'm a bit of a history buff, and while I have a pretty basic knowledge of WW1 and WW2, I knew very little about the Korean war. This book was a eye opener. And while it's a good book, it was also depressing, because after reading it I now had a pretty good insight as to why the Vietnam War was such a klusterfarce. I had an uncle who served in Korea, and like most vets he never really spoke much about it. I wish he was still around as I would like to get his take on it.

25-Jan-23
Another vote for-

Empire of the Summer Moon. Interestingly I read this just before watching 1883. Several scenes were right out of the book.

Ghost Soldiers- incredible true rescue WW2

New recommendation- Missoula by Jon Krakauer. Troubling story of sexual assaults at University of Montana. Guaranteed to make you stop and think about situations in a college town.

25-Jan-23
Alaska and Me by Billy Mills (modern day mountain man)

26-Jan-23
Someone mentioned this author already but here's one that will not disappoint, especially if you duck hunt and or fly fish. Entertaining and very well written. https://www.thriftbooks.com/series/gordon-macquarrie-trilogy/44440/

26-Jan-23
Someone mentioned this author already but here's one that will not disappoint, especially if you duck hunt and or fly fish. Entertaining and very well written. https://www.thriftbooks.com/series/gordon-macquarrie-trilogy/44440/

26-Jan-23
I bought a few of the Killing Series by Bill O'Rielly and Martian Dugard at an estate sale because they were inexpensive. Now I have 8 of them. And will be buying more. Great reads! I started with "Killing Lincoln". I appreciate all the research these two do before they write the books.

26-Jan-23
Gene Hill's "A Hunters Fireside Book" and John Gierach's "Trout Bum". And just finished John Toland's "Battle: The Story of the Bulge". A book I always read around this time of year.

27-Jan-23
I can't believe nobody mentioned Wilbur Smith. His African stories are amazing and he ties a lot of real history into his books.

28-Jan-23

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Re-reading this one right now in preparation for September.

28-Jan-23

Also re-reading portions of this one. Up to my ass in snow this winter and thinking of a warm getaway.

28-Jan-23

Don T. Lewis's embedded Photo
My brother Tom got me this signed book for my birthday. I’m looking forward to reading it. I’m finishing Up the United States of trump Bill O’Reilly. It was a good read. I want to read Killing the Rising Sun By Bill O’Reilly too.

28-Jan-23
Mike bonefish is a helluva fish particularly on fly did a lot of it from the late 60s thru 2000 something.We actually did an exploratory trip to Los Roques for Venezuela it was crazy. I apologize I got a little carried away Lewis

28-Jan-23
Just finished a real page turner - Landmarks of Economic Thought, Ferguson (1938). Currently reading The Grand Alliance by Churchill.

28-Jan-23
Just starting SAVED

28-Jan-23

29-Jan-23

Lewis 's embedded Photo
Lewis 's embedded Photo
Finishing this one a good read unreal the brutalities both the Indians and the whites did to each other.Good Luck Lewis

29-Jan-23

Lewis, I love to fly-fish and one of my dreams has been to fish the flats for bonefish, reds, etc. A few years ago I got a little taste of it on Ambergris Cay in Belize. I'd like to do a lot more of that in the future.

29-Jan-23
Mike, we're covered in major snow too, so heading to the TX Gulf coast to camp and fly fish for reds, etc.. for a month. I've only fished for bones once, on the flats off Marathon (DIY) and caught an 8 pounder on my third cast on a pink shrimp fly. That was a ripping fish. Unfortunately I got tangled up in a pod of Portugese Man of Wars a half hour later, was rushed to the hospital, and my bone fishing opportunity ended. Have not been back. Bucket list.

31-Jan-23

Lewis 's embedded Photo
Lewis 's embedded Photo
Hey y’all if you are as passionate about turkey hunting as we are you owe it to yourself to read this book.He is not called the poet laureate of turkey hunting for no reason.He actually killed a turkey last year at the age of 94.He served our country in two wars and is a Colonel. I read excerpts or the whole book every turkey season.Good Luck Lewis

03-Feb-23
Hey Lou how did it happen with Portugese Man of Wars. What recourse do hospital do for treatment.

03-Feb-23

Just finishing up Bill O’Reilly’s Book. THE UNITED STATES OF TRUMP. Good read. My brother got me the G. Fred Asbell book. I’m looking forward to reading that one. I’m always looking to improve my ground game;)

08-Feb-23
Just finished “ghost soldiers“ (Hampton sides) as recommended up above somewhere. Talk about perspective, good lord this country is built from some bad ass men!!!

08-Feb-23
“Whitetail” by George mattis. A hunting book from the 60s. I just finished and it was very good!

08-Feb-23
I'm now reading Jeff Shaara's, "The Eagle's Claw", a novel about the battle of Midway. Very interesting read, and I've learned a lot about what happened, why and how.

Once again, the "Greatest Generation" is WELL earned name!

19-May-23
I started reading A Killer's Mind by Mike Omer (detective). I've read only 35 pages but can say that the book is very interesting. And I actually have nothing else to recommend, because I don't have to for reading at all. All my time is dedicated to my studies and to reading education literature, so I think it will be boring for someone else. But in case someone is looking for a good psychological book, then I can recommend Thinking, Fast, and Slow by psychologist Daniel Kahneman. I needed to ride and write on it, but with writing, I got the help of https://edubirdie.com/essay-writers-for-hire because it was too complicated for me. The book itself is amazing, but writing and analyzing were a little bit harder than I expected. So I decided to use help and finish the book without any rush to understand everything better.

19-May-23
If you like Undauted Courage by James Ambrose, read his detailed book called D Day. No other book on that day covers the details like this one.

I found interesting but our troops killed many in German uniforms that were not German. They were Asians and many held prisoners that were moved from the Eastern front to fill in the ranks on the coast.

20-May-23
If sci-fi/alternate history interests you look for 'The Berlin Project' by Gregory Benford. What if the allies had developed the bomb sooner and nuked Berlin in 1944?

20-May-23

BIGERN's embedded Photo
BIGERN's embedded Photo
Uncle Don just dropped this off and I haven't read it yet but should be interesting. Story of cat's 2000 mile walk from America's west to New England.

20-May-23
Is that the cat found dead in Connecticut?

20-May-23

Just finished “Lost in the Jungle.” Great book and easy to read.

20-May-23
That is the cat that was hit on the Merritt parkway in Connecticut

20-May-23
+1 on The Comfort Crisis.

20-May-23
King James bible, read it and practice it and experience liberty, life, and light!

20-May-23
The Time it Never Rained, by Elmer Kelton

20-May-23

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
PushCoArcher's embedded Photo

20-May-23
Also ,We Begin at the End, by Chris Whitaker

• Sitka Gear