t-roy 14-Apr-20
ahunter76 14-Apr-20
sitO 14-Apr-20
Knife2sharp 14-Apr-20
Scooby-doo 14-Apr-20
Ironbow-cell 15-Apr-20
Shawn 18-Apr-20
13-Apr-20
So I have used artificial horns for a long time. I just bought a set of real antlers to use this year. I am curious as to how big a set do most of you guys use. No spread counted, do you use a set that is like 60"s or so per side? Thanks! Shawn(aka Scooby)

13-Apr-20
Whatever size you use, be sure to cut off the brow tines.

13-Apr-20
I have a heavy beam set I use and I just feel the sound carry’s better with big bone

13-Apr-20
You want to make them sound beatable, I like 120 ish size, they work well. Just make sure they are fresh antlers.

13-Apr-20
I bought a set that are heavy and score about 65"s per side. These are fresh sheds from a guy in Idaho. I was more worried about the sound carrying a long ways. My bag and my black rack do work but if it is a bit windy and a buck is a couple hundred yds they have no chance of hearing them. Shawn

13-Apr-20
You should have sent me a PM Shawn, how much did he charge ya?

13-Apr-20
+1 for cnelk! The set I use is around 55" per side. They work great. I replace about every 4th year with a similar size set.

13-Apr-20
WI Shedhead x2^^ Ditto on cutting the brows off.

You can tell you’re out of shape, when you have to take a break in the middle of a rattling sequence :-(

13-Apr-20

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I like the sound of these mule deer antlers for WT hunting. Apply red tape as I have forgot them and left them high in the tree after the stand and steps were down.
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I like the sound of these mule deer antlers for WT hunting. Apply red tape as I have forgot them and left them high in the tree after the stand and steps were down.

13-Apr-20
I like to use a antlers off 140" type bucks. Impressive deer. My rationale is I want them to be big enough that other bucks hear the heavier sound and think these are a couple real deer going at it. I want a mature buck to think a real deer is in his space. If it's a couple smaller dinkish sounding bucks I really don't think a mature buck is going to care. Dinks are going at it all the time. It is 2020. But I don't want 190" antlers because I don't want to scare a 150 away ;)

13-Apr-20
Thanks, Kyle I have several sets but they are old and dried out and did not want to cut off any fresh ones. I paid $100 bucks but tey wanted $125. I figure if I get several seasons from them, than I am good. I may just shoot a 160"er in Iowa this year and cut them off! LMAO!! Shawn

13-Apr-20
Paul-

I believe the whitetail bucks can tell from the sound that what they are hearing are Mulies fighting when you use those antlers and won't bother coming in. I bet you would have better luck rattling if you cut the bifurcations off those G-2's......

13-Apr-20
Ki-ke, Actually, I like the bifurcation aspect of those rattling antlers and then can rattle in both mule and WT deer bucks.

13-Apr-20
Lol

13-Apr-20
45 on the right 57 on the left is the sweet spot

14-Apr-20
Never thought about needing a fresh set of antlers. I've been using mine for several years and they seem to work fine, interesting....Hmmm.

14-Apr-20
I agree with fresh. My set is new (1989) and only has a couple years left before I need to replace. It is worth It to keep them updated.

14-Apr-20
I don't get it. I just walked over and picked up a nice antler and shook the heck out of it and didn't hear any kind of rattle. And it's from last year. ??

14-Apr-20
Lol

14-Apr-20
Ah, maybe I'll go out the garage and cut the brow tine off as suggested and then see if it rattles.

14-Apr-20
I just reactivate mine by soaking them in boiling water with a few drops of mink oil or, preferably, some Obenauf’s. Brings the tone right back and weatherproofs them at the same time.

14-Apr-20

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
I have used these at least 40 years. I have no idea how many Deer I have rattled in. This is one & killed at 10 yds. Cut brows off. I pass this size now.

14-Apr-20

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Them ain't rattlin horns...

14-Apr-20
FYI, deer don't listen to a fight and make their decision to come in based on the size of antlers, they do not have the capacity to reason. Rattling is supposed to reproduce a buck fight as well, not two bucks just sizing each other up playful sparring. Location, timing and intensity are key to bringing in a mature buck. Location on a macro and micro scale, timing as it relates to pre-rut activity and time of day, then lastly, intensity relating to volume, length of the fight and/or multiple battles.

I know some may like real antlers for rattling, and I've tried them too, but my favorite are the Primos synthetic antlers. They're the right size, the beams are positioned in a way as to not hit your hands and their sound really carries. I find that I can't get real antlers to sound as loud as the Primos ones and it can be harder to find the sweet spot during that initial crash of the antlers.

Now, if you want to carry any antlers or a bag, which may be used to pull in a buck within site that is walking off, then by all means, use whatever you want.

Also, I won't go into all the details of location, timing and intensity. But I will say this, I have been successful at rattling in mature bucks on public land, and my success rate is good, but that's because I don't rattle often; meaning, I may go an entire season or more without rattling. The property I mostly hunt now, along with my stand locations, are not conducive to effectively rattling in a mature buck within range.

14-Apr-20
knife2sharp, I agree they have no ability to reason but they can pin point a sound from 200 yds away and come to within feet of where that sound was made. I do believe however the correct tone or sound helps. If you use a bleached out set and than try a newer fresh set, I believe more will respond to the fresher set. I rarely rattle where I hunt in NY, but in Kansas, Illinois, Nebraska and such I have had great luck rattling in bucks. Shawn

15-Apr-20
My rattling antlers are a matched set a farmer gave me in 1987. Score about 55" per side. I have no idea how many bucks I have rattled in with these. To my ear they don't sound any different than when I first got them. I rattled in and killed a 151" buck from 250 yds out on a windy day, had to crack them as hard as I could. Other than a few chips on the end of the tines they are in good shape. If I showed them to you there is no way you could tell me how old they are.

Antlers with more mass sound different than antlers with less, but I think antlers are a lot like people's voices. They carry different sounds depending on mass, size and length and count of tines.

18-Apr-20

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
I am very happy with this set!! Gonna have to cut browtines off though! Shawn

• Sitka Gear