stringgunner 19-Apr-20
Drnaln 20-Apr-20
swede 20-Apr-20
South Farm 21-Apr-20
JL 21-Apr-20
swede 21-Apr-20
Royboy 22-Apr-20
15-Apr-20
I just heard that Oregon has no non resident elk hunting opportunities at this time. I cannot get through to them to verify. do you guys have any info on this.

15-Apr-20
I just found it on line, it is closed at this time. I really hope all this passes I want to elk hunt this fall.

15-Apr-20
I can see it now: After last year, where I put in over 40 applications and didn't draw a single tag, I'll draw a boatload of really good tags this year and the states will shut down the hunt to NRs...

15-Apr-20
Those libtard treehugger states on the west coast will never get any of my money. Did I mention how NR unfriendly they are, unless you want to hunt a spike?

15-Apr-20
Horse feathers. In Oregon a NR can go to any license agent any buy a license and tag to hunt elk. You can get the same tag I can buy OVC. If you want to put in for a draw you can apply the same as I do. Sure Oregon charges a terrible premium to all out of State hunters, but they are no different than any of the others. And Oregon does not require you to hire a resident guide to hunt the in State wildernesses either. I guess we are just too liberal. Piroque Oregon is not unfriendly. They are too friendly. I am the one that would prefer you and your attitude went somewhere else.

15-Apr-20
Bigmart, Elk season doesn't open till the end of august. Currently spring bear and fishing is closed to nr like a few other states. It'll be fine by the time Elk season rolls around.

15-Apr-20
Maybe Swede doesn't know just what % of the draw tags NR's get? I called Oregon the other day about taking my Grandson turkey hunting. We both live in California but I can see Oregon from my house. The nice lady from ODF&W said we couldn't hunt turkeys or Spring bear as long as the shelter in place was in effect. We also couldn't fish, crab or dig clams. I asked about the upcoming draw for NR's & she told me they were taking things one day at a time. I have used my Oregon points for elk, deer & pronghorn but still hunt deer & elk every year in Oregon with OTC tags. So close to Oregon it's a No Brainer for me!

15-Apr-20
Drnain, you are correct I don't know what most of the percent success for nonresidents is on different hunts. I know It will take me over 16 years to get the elk tag I have been putting in for. I think Oregon sets aside a certain number of tags for nonresidents. Your chance for getting one is likely dependent on how many other nonresidents apply. Oregon is not unique or overly discriminatory against outsiders as compared to other States, but it does discriminate. BTW: It has been my observation that some of the best and most ethical hunters I have encountered have come from California.

15-Apr-20
nr draw tags are 5% except antelope and they're still 3%. It should be at a minimum 10% and probably 15+. $700 for a nr Elk tag/license is not a value in my opinion. I drive out of this state for any serious Elk or Antelope hunting.

15-Apr-20
NR's get 3% of the pronghorn tags & 5% of elk & deer tags. The outfitters get 1/2 of those elk & deer tags so NR's have a chance at 2 1/2% of the draw tags. I apply in lots of states & have learned just to play by their rules or don't play the game. Also, You might not have to wait 16 years if you get lucky in the random draw. Residents have a chance to draw 25% of the tags no matter how many points you have, I hope you get lucky & draw! If the state lets me in this year, I'll be hunting Rosie's & Blacktails again!

15-Apr-20
As an OR native that lived there for 46 years until just recently... OR sucks a$$ for NR hunters and yes the libtards have overrun the place and dictate everything from Portland and the valley. Was such a wonderful place to grow up, but now makes me puke. This is the 1st year of my hunting life I won't be buying a tag in OR and may never again, unless it's solely for hunting with my son who is an OR resident.

15-Apr-20
Swede, horse feathers, I just saw an article on line and talked to Bend Oregon fish and wildlife. as of now Oregon is completely off limits for non resident hunting and fishing and claming. I realize things will most likely change between now and Sept. I was just reporting on what is happing now. Being from California, I have met a bunch of wonderful Oregon hunters and some assholes. archery Elk hunting in Oregon has been fantastic for me, a bull almost every year, and the last couple years we are seeing the class of bulls in the 300 + inch go way up. Good hunting to all.

15-Apr-20
Bigmart, I agree. Oregon has temporarily restricted sales to out of state hunters. I was thinking about the normal situation, and know Oregon wants out of state hunters as it really helps with funding game species in the state. My thought for any nonresident that does not love Oregon is, go somewhere else. Punish me by hunting to Idaho or Montana. Please. We are very liberal here and so are our elk.

15-Apr-20
Thanks Swede, I agree.

15-Apr-20
Thanks, WapitiBob for telling it like it is. Can’t believe those who are saying branch antlered bull tags are plentiful for NRs have never looked at the allocation in the Walla Walla, Mt, Emily, and other premier Blue Mtns units. And BTW, I earned the right to speak negatively about OR, as I lived there 20 years.

15-Apr-20
Those are quality hunt only units where residents also have to wait years to draw a tag that allows us to kill a branched antlered bull. I am still holding out after 11 years for an a big bull tag. What State are you hunting that allows unrestricted access to all areas for all elk hunters? You have the right to complain about Oregon with your past 20 years of residency. We are sure going to miss you.

16-Apr-20
Swede, Oregon manages ZERO units for quality bull elk hunting. Now, some units have some NE units have a handful of dandy bulls the harsh truth is they also run 100s of spike and/or cow tag hunters through what some might claim are "quality hunt" opportunities. As for unrestricted access comment that is a red herring. Limited entry units limit all hunters. Oregon is not generous with NR draw tags and we should all be able to agree on that. 3% in the draw is crappy. And yes, I also lived there for years and currently enjoy not being saddled by the OR state personal tax and am now using those "savings" to chase elk around the West without hundreds of spike and cow hunters turning the bull elk into wild-eyed critters. Win win for all of us.

16-Apr-20
Swede, the sugarcoater. Also forgets to mention the NR tags are reduced by what goes to the outfitters.

16-Apr-20
I notice that when people can't get anything they blame the game commission and the politicians. You are right the Wenaha, Walla-Walla, and Mt. Elily units are not quality enough for you guys. Others put in 16-17 years to go there, but they are not up to your standards. The odd thing is that I get elk almost every year in an otc unit on public land. I have heard that Saskatchewan has just the places for your hunting prowess. Good riddance.

16-Apr-20

16-Apr-20
Elkrod, I don't understand your reply, you can and do shoot a 6 point every year in Oregon, however its a no brainier to take Oregon off the list all together. With the exception of a few trophy states Oregon has provided me and a lot of my hunting buddies great hunting. we do know our area well and that helps, we have been hunting the same area for 15 years. you can drive to the nearest town and be in awe of the some of the bulls taken in our area. I think you should take yourself and your friends to another state, I will stay in Oregon as a non resident and shoot great bulls. I would continue but I need to pour another drink.

16-Apr-20

16-Apr-20
I have friends and family from out of State that come to hunt with me about every other year. Their success is about 50% They have never had any problem buying a tag if you do not take into account the cost. That cost is on par with other States. Three seasons back I hunted Idaho. I was in a party of four than went down to three after a few days. I got a spike. It was the only elk taken by our group. I am pleased to share Oregon hunting with out of State hunters. But if you can do better somewhere else, enjoy your experience there. If you think for a minute that I believe you are killing a 6 point bull on fair chase public land hunts "every year" you are mistaken. Even if there is a smidgeon of truth to your boast, there is much hidden.

16-Apr-20
I lived in Oregon twice for 5-1/2 years total. I hunted the units around North Bend for deer and elk and the Silver Lake unit for muleys. I transferred out in Jan 2006. Back then it was easy for a NR to draw an elk tag for the Tioga unit. I think it was $340-ish for the NR elk tag when a buddy came out. The first tour (87-91) you could bait bears too. The second tour with the baiting ban, bears overran the area and tags at $10 each for as many as you wanted. Cat hunting was year round in that area too. It sounds like things changed for the worse.

18-Apr-20
With the predator situation and the libs ruling my home state, for 67 yrs., there may not be any NR tags soon. If they didn’t need the money so bad they’d find a way to greatly reduce res tags. I don’t see things ever getting better. I have been applying for out of state tags for years. Good luck, plan well.

19-Apr-20

19-Apr-20

19-Apr-20

19-Apr-20

19-Apr-20

19-Apr-20

19-Apr-20
Here we go

19-Apr-20
elkocd. I was referring to hunting Oregon as I thought that was what this thread was all about. Before I questioned your claim you wrote, "Swede, I can and do shoot a 6 point bull in OR every year,". Before I posted you even seemed to brag they were specifically 330-350 class bulls, and you said you have no interest in 260-280 class bulls. Referring to your post about your ability to kill big bulls in Oregon, I said "If you think for a minute that I believe you are killing a 6 point bull on fair chase public land hunts "every year" you are mistaken." You have gone from "every year" down to only two years, plus giving us a picture of one you killed in Montana. That is good, but not exactly what I would write up as "every year" in Oregon. Sled Springs is a draw unit that you can only hunt about every fourth season. Now you excuse yourself for 2019 and say, it was dedicated to your son's hunt, so it doesn't count. I really don't care, but I am very skeptical of anyone that claims they are killing a 330-350 bull every year in Oregon, as I understood you to write. I finished my post with: "Even if there is a smidgeon of truth to your boast, there is much hidden." I too know of a few that legally get big bulls in Oregon about every year. You will never see one of them on an elk forum or bragging in any format.

19-Apr-20
Nice bulls there Elkocd. I would say those are definitely not the average Oregon bulls. Nor the average bull for one in the 10% club in Oregon.

Not sure how your success makes Cam Hanes a D-bag though. His humility speaks quite the contrary however.

Either way nice bulls.

20-Apr-20
Some really nice bulls!

20-Apr-20
I want to start this post by apologizing to elkocd. You have some great bulls to your credit that you can be very proud of. I am pleased for you. I live in Oregon because I prefer to. No one needs to love Oregon the way I do. I obviously take offence when people bad mouth the State, and the people that serve here.

I would not do some things ODF&W does if I had my choice, but they don't manage just for me, or for hunters, and certainly not just for hunters that want to hunt only big bulls. They are balancing things with people that want to remove all of the elk they can from public grazing lands, people that want to hunt every season, and hunters that want to shoot only big bulls. They have wolves to manage and other game and nongame species. ODF&W public meetings are partly a farce, but they are between a rock and a hard spot with fish and wildlife management. Still I go on occasion as they need to hear from hunters. I would encourage everyone here on the forum that is interested in Oregon elk management to go and let them hear your opinion. For now I guess you need to write.

21-Apr-20
Every hunt is what you make of it; the rest is all geography. I remember my first ever fascination with wild elk was watching a train of about 80 cows get herded up the side of a cliff face by one very large and vocal bull way back in the early 80's. Hooked me for life! Don't even get me started on Oregon Blacktails..

21-Apr-20
Swede.....the first time I lived in Oregon you could bait bears. It became political when the anti-baiters/hunters got involved and got it banned. The 2nd time I lived there the bears became overpopulated and a nuisance in the Tioga unit area. I had 6 bear tags one year....never got one...but the point is I believe the bear tags were unlimited at that time as the ODFW tried to get a handle on the bear problems. Cat hunting was year round. I think that was the result of overpopulation with the loss of hound hunting. I don't see the ODFW as the major problem but more so the anti-hunting crowd, enviro-whackos, greenies and young college kiddos along the I-5 corridor who control the state. Oregon is a beautiful state with some very diverse geography and a fun place to live if you fish, crab and hunt. However IMO the very liberal politics kills it and negates the good. I would not want to retire there.

21-Apr-20
I have never supported restricting baiting and using hounds for bear hunting, or hound hunting for cats. I voted against it when I was living in Burns. That is about as conservative an area as we have in the State. Still there were some hunters there that thought it was not fair chase to allow hounds, and that bait stations were places people just dumped garbage. These hunters voted for the restrictions. I do understand that bait stations with empty barrels and stinking garbage were often dump sights left by slob hunters. Hunting camps can look like trash sites with old toilets and mattresses, etc. that are left behind after a hunt. Sometimes hunters make their own problems. What I understand was that the vote for hunters was lost due to advertisements by the antis showing video of hunters in action. Hunters holler and demand their rights, but could care less about how their actions affect others. Something I learned many years ago is that if people trust you and know you care about them, they are a lot easier to deal with. If they don't trust you, you are going to have a lot of trouble. I have tried to tell hunters not to display a bloody head or dead carcass on their vehicle after a hunt. Hunters have said they don't care if others don't like it and are offended. The attitude is; if you don't like it, you are the enemy and I don't like you. Just remember that attitude you displayed when you lose another hunting privilege. I am a member of a church with only one other hunter. He only goes every few years when he draws a mule deer tag. Still, they all pray for my hunting success and ask how I did when I return. They are not antis, but I am sure I could make them one. Oregon leans left, but relatively few really care about hunting one way or the other. Most don't know about wildlife management and go on their feelings. If they believe hunters are slobs, they will vote their feelings. If they believe we are socially good neighbors, and care about them, and the species we hunt, they are far less likely to become anti hunting. Knowing I made a career working for the Forest Service, and I am an avid hunter, I have had quite a few opportunities to discuss forest and wildlife management. I try to treat people with respect and share the reasons hunting and logging are actually beneficial. What is the message you are giving in word and actions?

22-Apr-20
I did a hunt with a friend in the Walla Walla unit and had no issues with spike hunters and if anything were willing to share intel. My friend killed a 368” Archery bull on the third day of his hunt. Also I laugh a lot when people complain about the crowded elk hunting in other states and they don’t even consider Oregon .

• Sitka Gear