Pop-r 16-Apr-20
Pop-r 16-Apr-20
JL 16-Apr-20
TREESTANDWOLF 16-Apr-20
Smurph 16-Apr-20
JL 16-Apr-20
Daff 30-Apr-20
16-Apr-20
So didn’t draw Montana Big game combo. Looks like some some form of alternate list may offer a second chance. Anyone know how this will work or how it has worked in the past? First come first serve or by lottery?

16-Apr-20
In my drawing results page, there is a "Combination License Alternate List" section linking to a page that says this, "Nonresident Combination License Alternate's List - There will be changes in 2020 on how we use the alternate list and do the surplus combination license sales. Please check back here later for details." So I expect that however it worked in the past will change. Good luck! I was drawn - I am so excited!

16-Apr-20
Smurph you're the only one I've seen who hasn't drawn. You took it as there were others on the other post (I assumed) with your "either" comment but I haven't seen anyone else who didn't draw a big game or elk combo if that's what they applied for. I'm curious if there were actually less tags than apps or if you messed up your app. Good luck in getting a tag!

16-Apr-20
I didn't !!!

16-Apr-20
I didn’t either!

16-Apr-20
I didn't, but I didnt apply either.

16-Apr-20
He said if thats what you applied for duh I mean lol

16-Apr-20
I didnt draw the combo either.

16-Apr-20
Ok so apparently there were more apps than tags. Nobody else had stated that yet on the other thread I didn't believe. I suppose I was lucky too if that's the case.

16-Apr-20

16-Apr-20
I've done the alternate list before. As folks return the tag they drew, the MT F&G will add them to a complied list of returned tags. When I spoke to the license office folks a while back....they get approx 200 returns a year....sometimes higher, sometimes lower. When they do the draw to compile the actual alternate list, ideally you hope to get a number at the top of the alternate list. As they get returned tags, they will notify those at the top of the list and work their way down the list. Not everyone on the alternate list will accept the tag. The license folks will work their way down the list until someone accepts the tag, then move onto the next tag/person. The negative to this is you may get notified your number came up for a returned tag right before the opener (BTDT). You will have to be spring loaded for a last minute accept/do not accept decision. You can get strung out on the fence up to the last minute but if you're flexible, it's a good deal.

16-Apr-20
I drew the combo.

Sure hope things are better by then for everyone.

16-Apr-20
Thanks JL. That is what I was trying to figure out. I went ahead and got an Idaho tag. Do you know when they start the “list”? My brother and father in law drew dear tags. I wanted the combo and figured I Could draw separately. Will try as an alternate.

16-Apr-20

JL's Link
It looks like they haven't figured out how to do this year's alternate list. In the past you could sign up for the list. After the cut off date, they would spit out the official list and you could see where the computer put you on the list. As I recall, when the first batch of tags get returned, they will make the phone calls and update the list as folks choose to buy or pass on the tags when their number comes up. I seem to recall it was around the first part of August when they start to work the list. Like I said above....they will make notifications up to and after the opener. You have to be ready to fish or cut bait as your number gets close to the top and it's near the opener. This year....who knows how they will do it???

30-Apr-20
I'm in the didn't draw pile. first time not getting a combo license since they were $475. I'm trying to figure out something else from scratch. I'm definitely open to the alternates list depending on what they are doing. I'm blindly thinking about Colorado I've visited but never hunted there not really sure where to start. Montana has been a guaranteed thing for so long I've never explored other options.

• Sitka Gear