wytex 29-Apr-20
Korey Wolfe 09-May-20
Korey Wolfe 06-Jun-20
9er 06-Jun-20
Korey Wolfe 18-Jun-20
wytex 24-Jun-20
Korey Wolfe 16-Jul-20
18-Apr-20
My 14 year old daughter and I are looking into units to apply for for Wyoming antelope. I have been putting in for points for 2 years. We will probably get rifle tags and I will buy the archery permit for me and hunt the last few days of archery while scouting for her rifle hunt.

She is super excited, and has been helping me do some research on areas we can draw as well as doing some e-scouting. This will be her first out of state hunt and she is excited to hunt antelope. We did do a little on the ground scouting back in 2018 while on family vacation and some of that information has been helpful.

Basically, I have some questions that I believe other people also have or maybe you've experienced these same issues before. 1. Has anyone here ever had the type 2 permit for Unit 76? Seems like a good chance to draw a good unit if it isn't too crowded near the river.

2. Has anyone ever hunted 75 or even 73? If we apply for the special more expensive tag, we have a decent chance at drawing.

3. In 26, is it impossible to get access to the little bit of public there? Is the public over run with hunters?

4. While scouting, we saw tons of bucks in 25, 30 and 31, why are they relatively easy to draw? Is it because of access issues to public land or is it trophy quality.

5. Do you have to apply for a doe tag as one of your three choices or is that a separate application for doe/fawn tags?

We are just looking to put ourselves in a good position to have an fun enjoyable hunt. We would like to see plenty of animals and have the possibility of having several opportunities as I believe it will be a numbers game for us.

Depending on how things go this summer, she might also decide to take her bow which might give us a little more flexibility in dates in order to miss as little school as possible. She will be a freshman when school starts back up again.

Korey Wolfe

18-Apr-20
Do t know anything about those until, but isn't a type 2 for private land? That would make them easy to draw

For doe, you can apply like any other rag or hope for leftovers, depends on the unit.

I use onx to figure out how to access public land. But keep in mind all public is not accessible

18-Apr-20
Type 2 could be for a specific portion of a unit or specific season dates or both.

There is a separate draw for reduced price doe/fawn tags (type 6).

Generally, the easier to draw units are due to lack of public land.

Can't help you with info on any of those units but I hope you have a great hunt with your daughter and thanks for passing it on!

18-Apr-20

WapitiBob's Link
You need to download the 2020 antelope data from the public comments page; there is no 76-2 hunt this year.

18-Apr-20
I've hunted 73 plenty of public and antelope but I wouldn't want to take a kid their on opening day it can be crowded. Also even with the increase in quota for type 1 tags this year I don't think 2 points will cut it even in the special.

19-Apr-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The guys pretty much covered it above. I’m just here to tell you to enjoy every minute of Wyoming with your daughter. It’s a great experience!

19-Apr-20
Haven’t hunted those units but have WY- will be worth it!

From my antelope hunting experience-

You can get access to private by asking and knocking doors! Especially with a Daughter! Most land owners hate the antelope which goes to the next point -

Get a doe tag or two! It is a separate draw. If you are debating between units and one has 100% draw on reduced doe tags go with that. It is easier to get private land telling them you will shoot a doe.

Talk to the local Game warden/CO. They will give you names to contact of ranchers who let kids/hunter on to kill lope. Also ask about Land status permissions-

A lot of WY is checker board private/public. In my experience In Southern WY if it’s like that and owned by oil companies it is by “default” open to hunting. Basically everyone including the law said open roads, no signs etc go ahead and hunt because the big oil company I ant going to deal with individuals or explicitly give permission.

Some harder to draw units just have fewer tags, or higher trophy potential. If you want to kill with a bow you need to hunt where there is less water. Sitting in a blind by a creek/river bow hunting is a recipe for a super boring hunt!

19-Apr-20

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Waterhole
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Waterhole
Fun hunt!

19-Apr-20
Antelope is a way better hunt with a bow especially for kids. August on a waterhole. Easy to draw units may have no good private. Look for a unit without flowing water and plan on finding ponds on the public.

19-Apr-20
Thanks for the responses so far. If we did do archery, we would probably try to stay away from sitting waterholes. We hunt our whitetails mostly over food plots and are looking for something a little different.

I have never decoyed antelope before, but during a mule deer hunt last year, my brother and I barely crested a hill to glass for mulies and 200 yards away was a antelope buck that was tending his does and being harassed by some other bucks. He must have saw something that made him think we were a buck, because he came charging in to 40 yards. Sure was exciting.

Brotsky, we remember your hunt! It was a great adventure for sure.

19-Apr-20
If you are thinking of hunting antelope in Wyoming this year everyone needs to look at WapitiBob's link...it is gold. Thank you so much for posting that for me. I have been doing all of my research on Go Hunt Insider and all that gives is the draw information from previous years. In Bob's link, it shows that some of those tag quota's have been cut in half! I'm so glad I look at that before moving forward with my other ideas.

PushCoArcher Last year those with 2 points only had a 9.9% chance of drawing in the special pool. That would be our number one choice if we ended up deciding to go that direction. With reduced tag numbers, I'm not sure if the odds will decrease. I also wonder if the recession will reduce the number of applicants in the special pool.

And thanks again for everyone's input. We may end up sitting water, but we are going to have a good time no matter what.

19-Apr-20
Area 26 is the only area you mentioned that I can speak to. The public for the most part is checkerboarded, so it’s hard to impossible to access. Plenty of public in 27 but hard to draw. Good luck to you and the girl !

19-Apr-20
Korey where are you getting your numbers from? If I'm reading the draw odds for 73 on the Wyoming website right last year was a 0% chance with 2 and I believe under 20% with 3 points.

19-Apr-20
The GoHunt insider 2.0

19-Apr-20
Contact Big Fin for his advice

19-Apr-20
Ok, PushCoArcher I need your help. I now see what you are saying about the odds in 73. I was looking at the random draw, so is the random draw somehow separate from the preference point draw or application? I thought it was pretty straight forward but now I'm confused.

I was thinking that points wouldn't be used for permits drawn on the second and third choice. Is that at least accurate?

20-Apr-20
A percentage of tags are put in the random pool. The draw still goes through 1st choice before moving to 2nd choice.

Area 73 special had 23 tags available in the random and 232 1st choice apps. goHUNT shows 9.9% draw odds for 2 points in the special.

20-Apr-20
Got it Korey I didn't realize you were talking about the random. They are not separate but all unsuccessful applicants automatically go into the random draw and have the same odds regardless of number of points.

20-Apr-20
There are 3 draws in WY; Special, Regular, and reduced price. The special and regular have 2 parts; pref point then random. Reduced price is random only.

21-Apr-20
Awesome, thanks. So is the reduced price draw for does only?

Will we lose our points if we draw our second or third choice?

What are the best dates to use a decoy?

21-Apr-20
On Wapiti's link....do you know where to navigate from there to pull up the 2019 vs 2020 quotas?

21-Apr-20
2019 quotas are crossed out if they change for 2020.

EDIT=== here is a link to the tentative season data, they pulled it from the public comment section.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15vBJDgAvrl3-i7IBRkK0ziM9gqegrkJY

21-Apr-20

Korey Wolfe's Link
I selected the link and it is different now. The one I'm trying to attach shows what I assume is last years quota crossed out on some units.

21-Apr-20
Excellent. Thank you

29-Apr-20
As far as the decoy goes, unless you are on private or only hunting archery would I use one. Good chance to get shot at during rifle season. Your doe tags will be a separate app . 2nd and 3rd choices drawing do not take your PP, only drawing your 1st choice tag will take them. Sent you a pm

09-May-20
So here is what I have come up with through my research. We are going to try to draw Unit 75 using our special license. Seems like decent enough odds. Our second choice is going to be 30... I think. The last options is a toss up between 25 and 26. We have decided to go out around September 8th or so for 5-7 days to try to get it done with our bows.

I'm also going to get some doe tags and try to get permission on private ground to give us more opportunities.

Any suggestions on how to choose between 25, 26, and 30?

Also, my daughter wants to hunt 31 since that is one of the areas we scouted and marked bucks on our GPS, so I guess there is logic in letting her pick the unit.

06-Jun-20
When will the Wyoming antelope draw results be posted?

06-Jun-20
18th I believe.

18-Jun-20
Last year's data suggested that we would have had a 60% for our first choice and a 100% for our second and third choice...we drew our third choice, so I'm guessing they had more applications this year. (special license) Not complaining, I just thought it was interesting. Also, we applied for doe tags and weren't successful which I also found interesting.

Any tips for unit 30 would be appreciated. Please send me a PM if you have info that you would be willing to share.

24-Jun-20
Have you contacted the biologist ? pm sent

16-Jul-20
Yes, I received the PM and I have contacted the biologist. Thanks.

My daughter's school has moved the opening of school back to the 25th of August. With the opener on the 15th, that gives us 10 full days of hunting to get it done with our bows. However, this will likely require us to sit water. Biologist told me that blinds are not allowed on walk in areas...didn't realize this.

We've applied for the HMA drawing, but won't know the results until August 4th.

• Sitka Gear