Candor 03-May-20
Tonybear61 03-May-20
Guardian hunter 03-May-20
brewski 04-May-20
20-Apr-20
What bow was that for you?

Golden eagle for me

20-Apr-20
Any of the early 2000's Diamond single cam bows.

20-Apr-20
PSE Carroll Intruder. Couldn’t keep limbs on it.

20-Apr-20
I didn't own one but, the PSE Baby-G was possibly the worst bow ever made.

20-Apr-20
Elite Not so much the bow but the company and how they handle their "Forever" warranty.

20-Apr-20
Hoyt smoke

20-Apr-20
Z7 EXTREME ....couldn’t get that short thing to shoot for the two years I owned it.

20-Apr-20
Jennings Carbon Extreme

20-Apr-20
Golden Eagle for sure... junk...

20-Apr-20
The first self bow I made.

20-Apr-20
Don’t remember the model, but an early 90s Hoyt. Couple weeks after I bought it new, I was at full draw, shooting targets. Boom, it blew up. Had a minor cut on top of my head, and abrasions on my arm. Took it to pro shop, and he put it back together, and I believe put on new strings and cables. Several weeks later, the same thing happened. Took it to pro shop and traded for another brand.

20-Apr-20
Had an Oneida. Don't remember the model- maybe Strike Eagle. Loud. Couldn't keep the cables from sliding thru the locking screw so wouldn't stay in tune.

20-Apr-20
I didn't shoot a new 2011 Hoyt Carbon Element well under hunting conditions. Most expensive bow I ever bought...jumpy cams with minimal valley, poor finish that wore off the riser and grip area very quickly, but mainly I had too many arrows hit somewhere other than behind the sight pin when hunting. Used it for a couple seasons then hung it up and finally sold it.

20-Apr-20
Mathews Z light. 5 Matthews models after that have been excellent

20-Apr-20
Golden Eagle Formula 3D

It didn’t have limb pockets and the limbs twisted over and over.

20-Apr-20
Rytera Alien X and the Golden Eagle Formula 3 D.

20-Apr-20
Golden Eagle as well. Only bow I’ve ever had blow up on me.

20-Apr-20
Bear Archery's Cheyenne Compound...

20-Apr-20
Onaida eagles

20-Apr-20
Never had one

20-Apr-20
Pse super g force man I hated that bow.

20-Apr-20
If a bow was a piece of “crap”, it was likely because my performance with that bow was just that.

20-Apr-20
I know you only asked for one, but I’ve had two that I was equally disappointed in, although for entirely different reasons. A PSE FireFlite Express, and a Mathews MQ-1.

20-Apr-20
Can’t say I ever had a bow I didn’t like, whether traditional or compound.

20-Apr-20
I'm not saying it was a POC, but the Elite Impulse had a very short relationship with me. Many people love the draw cycle, I found it to be too harsh for my liking.

20-Apr-20
I’ll second Jennings Carbon Extreme

20-Apr-20
Continental

20-Apr-20
CSS was inconsistent. I think it stood for Cant shoot straight.

20-Apr-20
I hated my PSE Baby G, but it probably taught me to shoot better moreso than any other bow. If you didn't hold it perfectly, it beat the living crap out of you!

20-Apr-20
Matthews SQ2

20-Apr-20
Mine was a Martin Bengal.

20-Apr-20
Hoyt Trykon

20-Apr-20
I had an Oneida Eagle that would go out of tune if you farted within ten miles of it.

20-Apr-20
Never had one I really hated.

20-Apr-20
Just put on the favorites thread my old XI Legend cuz it was my first. You know how you remember the first! But, it was the only one that ever blew up on me. A story. My buddy and I had back packed in to a favorite spot. Opening morning we split up and see ya tonight. About 9 am I did the draw the bow back to stretch the muscles as you occasionally do during the day. Gave myself a 70# punch in the face as the cables and strings let loose! Used fingers in those days so it wasn't a release screw up. The bow looked fine so now what. Hiked back to camp and left Barry a note and said I'll be back in a day or two and hopefully have a bow. i remembered seeing a bow shop in Meeker. Stopped there and told the two guys running it about my problem. They said leave the bow and come back in the morning. First they took me in another room and there sat a number of ladies working away making strings and maybe even cables. Anyway, they said they had a contract with I think it was Hoyt and were in the manufacturing business. Next morning I go in and they handed me the bow all put together! They had an indoor range and helped me get it sighted back in. When I asked them how much they said nothing! I asked how can that be? They said it was just a fun challenge to see if they could fix it and help a fellow hunter! They wouldn't take a thing. I left twenty bucks and said well at least buy a case of beer. They said they could do that. And off I went back to camp and ended up getting a nice 5x5 a few days later. Seems like I told this story on Bowsite sometime in the past. But there you got it again!

20-Apr-20
bad karma, that was a bad one!!

20-Apr-20
Oneida

20-Apr-20
I can’t complain about any bow I’ve ever owned.

20-Apr-20
Golden Eagle. It once exploded sitting in the front seat of the truck as I was driving down the road. Twice while shooting it. Biggest piece of junk ever made.

20-Apr-20
Oneida getting a bad rap here so I will pile on. I never owned one but shot my son's friend's Oneida once and got the worst string slap ever. It could not have been the fact that the draw length was 3 inches too long for me.

20-Apr-20
#1 Golden Eagle compound with the Rambo recurve style limbs , cracked me in the side of the head like mike tyson when she blew the top limb at full draw. #2 Asbel bighorn recurve blew the top limb and they wouldn't warranty it and at the time wanted 300.00 for a set of limbs, threw it in the trash and had wes wallace build me a custom recurve that still shoots beautiful to this day. win some lose some

21-Apr-20
I never had a crappy bow....but I was a crappy shooter at one time. Can't blame that on the bow.

21-Apr-20
Hoyt Pro Force Extreme. Shop could never tune it. Did kill my first deer with it tho.

Bought a Mathews Outback and thought I was in heaven, only to learn it was not one of their better models. Big age gap between the two could be a factor. I upgrade more often now!

21-Apr-20
Golden Eagle formula 3D. Cam lean was ridiculous. If you turned it upside down & drew it & looked how the string nearly derailed from the grooves. Terrifying , didn’t keep mine long enough for it to blow up

21-Apr-20
Golden Eagles were junk and heavy. Luckily, never had one blow up. Xi Flatliner was the worst bow I ever shot. It was just harsh. Draw, shock, everything about it.

21-Apr-20
Hoyt Trykon. When you let down it wanted to rip your arm off.

21-Apr-20
Mathews Creed, hated that thing!

21-Apr-20
My worst hunting bow was a Mathews LX. My best target bow was a Mathews LX.

21-Apr-20
Hoyt Trykon just a poor bow couldn't keep it in tune.

21-Apr-20
high country sniper. never could keep it tuned more than a few days. this was the bow that caused me to have a back up bow, got sick of missing hunting time working on the bow during the season.

21-Apr-20
PSE Fire-Flite, had 2 blow up on me. They were set at 90#s and was told I could shoot 600 plus

21-Apr-20
Pav,

“My worst hunting bow was a Mathews LX. My best target bow was a Mathews LX.”

Gotta ask why it was your worse hunting bow? I loved mine till it split a limb. Mathews replaced the limbs but I just can’t get back in tune.

21-Apr-20
Grain arrows from them. Both exploded! Shawn

21-Apr-20
It would be a tie, either a Pearson Spoiler or PSE Fire Flight Express. Couldn't keep limbs on them ,at least in the 80# models I owned.

21-Apr-20
PSE, it was not a POS, but the draw cycle was very harsh and to narrow of a valley. I think it was a Dream Season.

21-Apr-20
AR 34, very inconsistent bow from the get go and acquired bad cam lean.

21-Apr-20

21-Apr-20
Funny to see how we are all different. I had a Hoyt Trykon XL that was the sweetest shooting bow I ever had. Heavy, but really good shooting. Fell in love with Hoyt only to spend $1500 on a 2014 carbon Spyder that I don't shoot as well, and the finish wore off of it within the first 6 months, of course, not covered by warranty.

21-Apr-20
Alpine Rebel TC..... Had so much vibration it would literally destroy an aluminum sight. Built for "speed" not forgiveness. P.O.S. Tomahawk Cams were not friendly!

21-Apr-20
Indian Archery Recurve with a flat shelf. THWAANGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21-Apr-20
Wapiti Recurve

21-Apr-20

21-Apr-20

Quick Draw 1's embedded Photo
Quick Draw 1's embedded Photo
We recently started a "Way Back Archery Wednesday" at the archery shop, looking back at what archery looked like 40ish years ago. Here's the Bear Compound Bow Kit. From 1981. I guess they were trying to take a cue from the muzzleloader mfgs, where the muzzleloader kit was popular at the time. Anyone ever have one of these things?.....or know anyone who did? Wondering if it would land on this thread...

21-Apr-20
Bowbender, I could shoot bullet holes with that LX on the target range, but put me 25ft up a tree....my accuracy fell to pieces. I can only assume it was a combination of the short brace height and my own poor form shooting angles. Swapped the LX out for a Drenalin LD...roughly same length, but longer brace height...and the shooting woes from the treestand went away. Go figure...

21-Apr-20
A Martin Lynx Magnum back in the late 80's or early 90's with hatchet cams and an overdraw. If you looked at it wrong it was out of tune. I "upgraded" for that bow from a Bear Whitetail, young and dumb.

21-Apr-20
Around 1974 I bought a Wing compound. It was their start in the compound business. I believe it was designed by someone named Ketchum. Looked much sleeker than the wood handle Jennings, and of course "anything" looked better than an Allen. But...it was a complete piece of crap. Plastic wheels, the cables broke thru them. Out of tune, all the time. Loud and slow. But, it looked nice !

21-Apr-20
Early Browning bows with wood handles. Handles split or warped, limbs blew. Pretty bows but junk.

21-Apr-20
Funny how you Compounders have always been chasing after More Speed, yet when a speedbow has a harsh draw cycle or is temperamental or has some kind of a durability issue or just blows up on you entirely (after maybe too many 5 GPP arrows down-range???)... it’s somehow the fault of the bow??

I sure would be interested to know what complaint goelk had with the Wapiti; first time I’ve ever heard anything but positives about them.

21-Apr-20
I have never owned a bow I did not like whether it be a recurve or compound. Always tried to do my research before buying.

21-Apr-20
I don’t have any that I consider a “POS”, but have certainly thought some better than others over the years.

I did have one of those Browning wood riser bows, didn’t have it long enough to call it crap, never killed an animal with it, but buddy shot it for a couple years trouble free and killed a couple deer with it.

—Jim

21-Apr-20
Another vote for the Hoyt Trykon. Shot hard and fast, and killed a few things with it, but couldn't keep the dang thing in tune.

I'm still mad at Hoyt for it, to tell you the truth, and haven't considered a Hoyt since then. I don't often carry grudges, being a forgive and forget man, but when I do, I REALLY carry them, and I'm gonna hold on to this Hoyt grudge for a long while :)

21-Apr-20
Had an Oneida eagle in the 80's. That thing pushed me into traditional archery. Kinda glad now but at the time it was maddening. Threw it across the yard on more than one occasion.

21-Apr-20
Hoyt RX3. Fit and finish was absolute crap. Draw cycle was not good (personal preference). It was loud and had quite a bit of hand vibration.

22-Apr-20
I didn't know it at the time but I second the old Browning Cobra (wooden compound). I was lucky to hit a paper plate at 20 yards:) My dad had the Browning Xcellerator (fancy wooden compound) but I don't remember him killing anything with that one either, ha.

23-Apr-20
^^^^^for sure,

I was a young married guy with bow money in my pocket. Went to Lane Sporting Goods in Marietta, OH. The sales guy was going crazy on how good the Browning Cobra was for me. Something about the draw or poundage wasn't right, so he started turning a hex wrench. The bow blew apart right there in his hands....cables and stuff looking like the debris you yank out of a demolished building. Yeah....that's one I never owned.

23-Apr-20
My first bow was a Browning accelerator. I knew absolutely nothing about bows but did kill some deer with that bow. I also had an Oneida that needed constant attention & sounded like a screen door slamming but again I killed some deer with it. Never really had a bow leave a sour taste in my mouth was always just trying something different

24-Apr-20
Jennings Uni-Star I bought around 1985 might as well have carried a cinder block!!!

24-Apr-20
Bear whitetail. The one with the pulleys.

24-Apr-20
Matthews SQ2 could not buy limbs.

24-Apr-20
I forgot about: PSE Mach I Overdraw, blew that thing up so many times. But was getting between 314 and 324 ft per sec. in the chrono. Erratic and extreme. But fast for the 80's. Shooting 2419 XX75's 31" 90#. Limbs were meant for 80 but we shimmed them up. LOL

24-Apr-20
Browning single cam I think was an Afterburner? Derailed on my when drawing on a very nice wide 4X4 WT. Wasn't happy at all.

25-Apr-20
I haven't owned that bow yet. I did have an 82nd Airborne that was tearing my shoulder up though. It was a great shooter but tough to draw and wanted to go.

26-Apr-20
I bought a Reflex Bighorn once never liked it after shooting it. At the time money was tight and was cheap bow, loud and heavy waste of what little money I had.

26-Apr-20
Had a few Champion bows that were crap, more recently I didn't own the mathews chillr for very long, I couldn't stand it

26-Apr-20
high country,88 model blew up three times no two times.Sold it to a guy at work that new it's history and he used it for over 20 years.

26-Apr-20
GF --> Wapiti,, along time ago around when the leather wall first came on-line I did hear some bad stuff I think they were breaking at the limb mounts or some did and the owner was not honoring the warrantys and not even returning calls.. RMS sells a lot of them now they look like pretty nice bows.. I'm sure if you make a thread in the LW some will chime in on what happened back then but could of been rumors or just a bad batch of riserwoods who knows I can think of 8 other bows I had problems like that. my worse compound was a Ross Cardiac,, shot great and killed deer with it but a certain store clerk convinced me to change my original Mathews choice to a ross then that same person when I needed a string a couple months later at that store after they dumped ross told me "we don't work on those and don't even really want them in the store" all because Ross canceled some moose hunt,,,,,whatever that was my worse experience because I couldn't tell one bow form another,,,,,,,,I still think my treasured 2006 Mathews Rival Pro is the best compound bow ever made, of course I don't know any better 8^) so if anyone has one that pulls 50@ 27" we need to talk 8^)

27-Apr-20
Browning Midas

27-Apr-20
Geez I loved my baby G and Golden Eagle Carbine Hawk, the first 2 “real” bows I had and as a teenager I did great with them. The worst ever for me was a Bowtech Mighty Mite, limb split on the third shot

27-Apr-20
Every compound I ever had, that's why traditional now only!

28-Apr-20
None of them were an actual POS.....they all required the paradox of strength and finesse employed at the same time which resulted in many accurate and many inaccurate shots caused by my inability to control strength and finesse at the same time...the real POS was my self-discipline..which i am still fighting..LOL

Joe

28-Apr-20
I would also like to hear some first hand experience with Wapiti. I have one, great bow and no issues. Keith makes a hunting bow, not a beauty queen and some guys do whine about the finish.

28-Apr-20
The posts about the Baby G are funny.

What an absolute beast of bow that was.

I had an 80 pound one with an overdraw. Scary to even think about.

28-Apr-20
Oregon Valient Crusader .. only think they were in business for a year or so... developed limb noise you couldn't get rid of . Couldn't hunt with it.

28-Apr-20
My first compound was an Allen. I must give Mr. Allen credit for creating it as we probably wouldn't have the compounds of today if not for him. The biggest problem with it that I remember was the noise. Each time that I released it sounded close to that of a muffled .22 report. Each compound that I have owned has been an improvement over the prior one (at least for me). l think that the archery industry has done well as far as improving the performance of the compound bow.

30-Apr-20
ProLine Riptide. Shooting it sounded like slamming a screen door on a double-wide.

30-Apr-20
Any of the Mathews slim limb bows...

30-Apr-20
Some of these are amazing replies. For example, my Mathews SQ2 was one of the best bows i ever owned. Shot lights out. I shot MULTIPLE 5 spot 300's with skinny arrows with that bow. Kept it 15 years before i broke down and sold it because it sat on the shelf.

30-Apr-20
Yup. I agree with Elkman. The slim Mathews were very frail!

30-Apr-20
3 under I had a VC. limbs blew out. I made a Frankenbow recurve and still hunt with it...much better recurve than it was a compound

30-Apr-20
Probably the worst bow I bought was an old PSE Pulsar back in 1987. Was cheap, had nylon plastic wheels and started squeeking in a year. I did kill my first deer with it and shot it well, but it didn't hold up well. It was a better bow than my old Polar LTD, but it was an entry level bow that didn't hold up to a lot of shooting back in the day. The next PSE I bought was one of their top of the line bows, a Jet Flite Express. That one was way better, but I had a riser break in half and it was replaced. Then I went on to kill 20+ animals with it. Loud but deadly and threw my big 2317s hard at animals. Every bow I've had since has been a good bow.

03-May-20
Never a crappy one, but I have had several PSE's and never grown to where I like the way they shoot.

03-May-20
I still have my Golden Eagle, its a carp bow been shooting it for almost 40 years.

Bear, Brown bear wood bow split the ends of the limbs. Bought one of those kits for my Dad that was posted earlier. He shot it for about 4-5 years then bought a high country. Last bow he owned. My brother still shoots it some times

03-May-20
The great thing about the Hoyt trykon was that if you missed a deer with the arrow you could always hit it over the head with a bow. That should do the trick. Sucker was heavy!

04-May-20
Oneida eagle??

• Sitka Gear