Nick Muche 22-Apr-20
newfi1946moose 22-Apr-20
SBH 22-Apr-20
Ambush 22-Apr-20
Ken Taylor 22-Apr-20
21-Apr-20

Ken Taylor's embedded Photo
Ken Taylor's embedded Photo
I usually leave for the bush to start getting my bear setups ready by May 1st, but it looks like it's going to be later than that this year. My bear hunting area is within our Covid-19 restricted boundaries, so my wife and I will be able to hunt, but two friends that planned on coming up from the Montreal and Quebec city area may not be able to join me. This is a picture of me out for some air a couple of days ago... social distancing is easy over here! (I'm on the Bay near home - that's ice as far as you can see).

21-Apr-20
Very few guys will be hunting bears this Spring. You are one of the lucky ones. We will need your hunt report to help us get a taste of the bear hunt we’re missing. Good luck.

22-Apr-20
Took a drive out toward one of my favorite early season (spot and stalk) bear spots this afternoon....south slope burn area that greens up first. Unfortunately there is still 2' - 3' on the logging road and I'm weeks away from getting in...no tracks for the quad nor snowmobile. Looks like flooding potential too. It's too far to pack a black bear out on skis or snowshoes.

22-Apr-20
Still feels like winter up here too but it’s getting warmer, snow is melting and rivers thawing. I’m itching to go look for some bears, soon.

22-Apr-20
Ken...I have worked at Minto in the fall years back and always wondered what winter really was like. One fall I was at Thompson Lake and was hit with 10-12 inches of heavy wet stuff and was back in the black flies 3 days later. Any info about the Leaf River herd?

22-Apr-20
We've seen two black bears and two grizzlies out and about so far in MT. Lots of snow up high still but they're out.

22-Apr-20
Late spring here in northern BC too. But we go from "will this snow EVER be gone!?" to "..holy crap the mosquitos are thick!!" in about a week. May 5th will be my first bear hunt and it's looking like they will be laying on snow banks waiting for some green.

22-Apr-20
Kenneth - I haven't spoken to any of my biologist friends that do the aerial surveys for caribou lately, but there were not many (comparably speaking) that came down as far as the James Bay highway this winter, and those that did veered east.

Two days ago people we know killed a medium size bear at a southern exposed spot near their cabin (but still on top of the snow, LOL!).

We just got hit by a snowstorm again, yesterday and today. Most of the bears around here are going to be skinny by next month.

• Sitka Gear