JTreeman 28-Apr-20
carcus 29-Apr-20
Kz15 29-Apr-20
t-roy 29-Apr-20
Bake 29-Apr-20
Shuteye 30-Apr-20
BULELK1 30-Apr-20
22-Apr-20
I know it's slow right now, and this is sure to provoke a fight from the non-ATV crowd. But please refrain. . . .

I have a Polaris Ranger, and I love the thing. It's 8 years old. I'm looking to upgrade, and I'm really struggling with whether to get another Ranger, or to get a General.

Anyone here with experience with both?

I don't really need it for "work." I do some work in mine, but not a lot. It's mostly for fun and hunting. I putter around our little place, my daughter and I ride it on the back roads, I use it for local hunting and hunting preparation, and I'd take it out west once a year and use it in the mountains while elk/mulie hunting.

The big thing I don't like about my Ranger is it's not an all-day driver type of thing. Long drives out west, or on the backroads aren't the most comfortable in the Ranger. and top speed is about 35 mph, if you want to be comfortable. It will go faster, but it's not very comfortable to do so.

But I worry about the utility uses of the General. Is the bed big enough? Is it easy to jump in and out of to open and close gates and stuff like that.

So anybody with experience with both?

Thanks

22-Apr-20
Just get BOTH...

—Jim

22-Apr-20
I have a Ranger, my business partner has a General. General is very nice, but not for me. Bed is small and the unit is harder to get in and out of. Also, don't sit up as high, so I don't see the shed antlers! :)

22-Apr-20
No help Jim. . . . :)

I guess all's fair, as I always advise you to "just book it!" :)

22-Apr-20
I have a Honda so I am just as much help as Jim! :-)

22-Apr-20
I've drove and ridden both. I prefer the Ranger...I can adjust the suspension very simply enough if I want to trail ride all day, but I DON'T, because trail riding ain't really my thing. I use my Ranger for plowing, hauling, work around the place, hunting, bear baiting, a mobile ladder...utilitarian type stuff. I think one of the best things about the Ranger, especially with a stiff lower back, is the ability to slide right into the drivers seat and ease of getting out of the thing...it's a bench seat vs. the General cockpit with buckets. Bucket seats belong in a muscle car, not a UTV, just my opinion;)

22-Apr-20
Ive ridden in and drove both extensively. They have their pros and cons, but if i was picking i would stay with the ranger for bed size and ease of in and out. That being said, i bought a honda pioneer over the polaris. Im with Brotsky, probably not much help.

22-Apr-20
No this is perfect stuff. That's a big worry for me, is the ease of in and out. When I putter around, I'm on and off the thing a lot. That's really easy with a Ranger.

I've been bugging Jim with this. And my big worry is that if I get the General I'll regret it, and miss the Ranger. I know what the Ranger can do. And I really like it. I don't think I'd regret just getting another Ranger. Worried I'd have the General and spend more money, then just wish I had a Ranger again :)

22-Apr-20
To quote from the ebike threads, "Why can't you just walk?" :-)

22-Apr-20
Lou. . . . because I don't want to :)

22-Apr-20
A few years ago we decided we could use a S X S. Not knowing anything about them and with my wife's Colorado's moose hunt coming up quickly we started looking. It didn't take long to narrow it down to a few models, with the Ranger near the top of the list...until I saw the General. While I use it for some chores, the bigger bed was not a high priority. At least some comfort was, with some bed space. The Ranger's interior is not very comfortable, the driving position (too upright, lousy pedal position) is awful, and the seat could not be adjusted sufficiently for my petite wife to be able to drive with any comfort. We have a 2-seat General 1000 with roof, tilt out glass windshield and back window, and fabric upper doors. Also windshield wipers and heater. For use in the Colorado high country, it's nice to be out of the weather and mud. It's a great compromise between a plain utility vehicle and the sportier rzr. If I were to get another, I would probably get the 4 seat. It would occasionally be nice for guests, but also carrying gear under cover. We also found that it's fun, and it now gets as much use just for exploring as it does for hunting.

22-Apr-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The Honda I have has good bed space and has regular seats that flip up out of the bed to make it a four seater for trail riding. Really like that option for our family Bake. Something to think about.

22-Apr-20
:) I LOVE that picture Brotsky

22-Apr-20
That’s a shoulder mount from the flea market in the back.

22-Apr-20
Brotsky,

Is that the 700 or 1000?

I don't have a Ranger anymore but I really liked mine. My only dislikes was the 4WD sucked in snow as the rear tires had to slip like a 1/4 turn before the front wheels start pulling. Seems nominal but it is a pain in the snow. The other thing I don't like, yet I did get used to it, was the CVT transmission. For that reason alone....when I buy another it will be the Honda.

Not trying to detail your thread Bake...just offering up my experience with the Ranger.

22-Apr-20
Bowfreak, that is the 700-4. It is lacking a little in power but for what I've been using it for it has not been an issue. If you like to really get after it or ride in thick mud, etc the 1000 will be a better fit for you. If you are riding on trails, doing work around the house, and just general hunting stuff then the 700 is fine power wise.

I will 2nd the comment on the transmission with the Honda. I like the Honda setup better than the CVT, just need to let the Honda warm up a little in very cold temps. I have the deluxe version with the paddle shifters as well, makes for a little more fun driving than the straight auto-trans.

22-Apr-20
Took me a minute to notice a UTV in Brotsky picture! Nice deer

22-Apr-20
Took me a minute to notice a UTV in Brotsky picture! Nice deer

I always notice racks first.

22-Apr-20
Brotsky, nice buck! Is there a backstory before loading him up? Recent bow kill ? ......badbull

22-Apr-20

Knothead's embedded Photo
Knothead's embedded Photo
I just sold my 2005 Ranger 500 and bought a 2018 General 1000 4 seater with 300 miles on it. I loved my ranger and it never failed me but I just thought it was time to upgrade and I got the General for a little more than 1/2 the price of what a new one would cost. My old ranger had almost 600 hours on it but only 7000 miles so you can tell I don't drive very fast. It was a tool and that is how I looked at it. The general is like a cadilac, smooth, excellent handling, fast (even though I drive slow). Mine came with a bed extender so storage space is very comparable to my ranger. Long story short, I was happy with my ranger and I am happy with the general. So I am probably not much help. My only advice is that if you like to go fast the general is the way to go due to handling, comfort and stability.

22-Apr-20
I've had two Rangers (1)500 and (1) 570. Great machines. I don't fit in them very well, but I don't fit into any UTV for that matter. I'm 6'3" 255lbs. My knees take a beating sometimes, but I love the Ranger.

22-Apr-20
Bake, My advice is be true to your self on what is most important to you. There are so many UTVs now in so many modals it is pretty easy to be side tracked by sexy features. Sounds like you do a bunch of doodering close to home but might enjoy trail riding and exploring especially as your daughter gets older. Almost as complicated as deciding what features you want in a single blade pocket knife ! We just spent a few years hemming and hawing about buying a utility vehicle for work and finally committed to just doing it. Our needs were much different than yours but still pretty easy to get distracted by many many choices. Worse comes to worse it will be pretty easy to wash your hands of it and get one that better meets your needs if you choose wrong. Unless you take the JTreeman approach.

Good luck !

22-Apr-20
And a winning approach it is!!!!

It’s really easy for me to spend Bakes money for him!

—Jim

22-Apr-20
For the money, can you find someplace to rent a general for a weekend --- might be the best couple hundred bucks you ever spend - especially when you are talking that kind of cash???

22-Apr-20
I had a Ranger for many years but last year I bought a CanAm. I like it much better because of the in cab storage and the power steering. To be fair, you can get power steering on a Ranger too, and I really didn’t compare to a new Ranger, so my dribble is probably worthless too, but I would look at CanAm if I were you.

28-Apr-20
I had a 2017 ranger, then bought a 2018 1000. The new body style is much improved!!! That said, mine is a rattle and squeak trap. Bought the ranger for one reason, the bench seat will fit 3. The 4 seaters are to long for me

28-Apr-20
Since it was brought back up. . . . .

I bought a new Ranger 1000 XP on Saturday. I REALLY wanted a General XP, because I'm still just a 38 year old kid. And I REALLY wanted you all to convince me that it would work for me.

But you all failed :) For what I do, which is 90%+ puttering around, the Ranger is just the better fit. And this new Ranger is considerably faster than my old one. I think it will do just fine for all my applications.

Thanks for all the comments

PS. . . . if Polaris is publicly traded, buy some stock. . . . The dealership was NUTS! At one point there were 50-60 trucks and trailers there. They said they'd sold 250 more units this year than last year at this time. Salesman opined, "People just have more time right now."

Thought that was interesting

28-Apr-20
Congrats Bake! A friend just bought one this past week. Awesome machines!

28-Apr-20
For God’s sake, don’t let Treeman drive it! Our dealerships are open here in Iowa, but you have to make an appointment to be able to be allowed into the showroom. They commented on what a PITA it was. Fortunately, I was just getting my Ranger and Sportsman serviced, so it wasn’t that big of a deal to pick them up. Was that the case where you got your’s, or were you able to just walk in, Bake?

28-Apr-20
Well Troy. . . . That's a loaded question. . . :)

Since I live on a farm, and my Polaris is used for agriculture purposes, which is an essential activity. And since my old Ranger was on it's last legs. And since Abernathy's in Tennessee quoted me $1500 less than the local dealer. I drove to Tennessee. For agricultural purposes

I sorta loosely had an appointment. But there were a ton of walk ins while I was there. They had a sign up, only one family member allowed in the showroom at a time, "No Exceptions!" But it was raining and miserable, and the showroom was full of people.

I just had to go to my local Polaris dealer to pick up my daughter's Rzr from a service, and they are NOT appointment only. . .

Everyone is doing it all differently

And Treeman is coming up for turkeys soon, I'm gonna let him drive it so he knows how much better it is than a honda. . . . :)

28-Apr-20
OK....Pics or it didn't happen. :)

28-Apr-20

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
I like it

28-Apr-20
Looking Good!!

28-Apr-20
Naw. I think I'm good. I didn't have any for my last one. I really struggled with the thought of buying a winch. But never had need of one in my last Ranger, so ended up not doing it. This machine is heavier though. We'll see how she handles in the rough stuff, and I can always add a winch later

28-Apr-20
Just carry a come-along and a chain...you'll be good.

Pretty sweet rig, Bake!

28-Apr-20
Nice looking rig Bake, congrats!

28-Apr-20
Congrats Bake! If buying a Honda ensured deer like Brotsky's would end up in the back I'm sure I'd find a way to save the cash! ;)

28-Apr-20
Never thought of that APauls. . . . maybe HOnda is the way to go

28-Apr-20
Maybe the whitetails just wanna ride in a Honda. Don't fight em. All I know is he's big enough to ride in Eddie Salter's truck.

28-Apr-20
I put a winch on mine before going to NM last year and it saved my butt,either have a chainsaw or a winch.Besides that a back windshield is as important as front.When I bought mine I googled rebates and found some for accessories that the dealer didn't even know about If you have hedge or locust go get some new tires,I went with the swamp witch and no more airing up before every use

28-Apr-20

happygolucky's embedded Photo
happygolucky's embedded Photo
Congrats on the purchase. I bought a 2019 900 XP in early Jan. The price was under $10k as they were unloading the '19s. I did add a 4500# winch with rope and a remote because I've been stuck many times on my hunting land in MI. I really loved it for ice fishing due to all the storage. I plan to buy tracks before next ice season. I upgraded from my Yamaha 450 Kodiak because it would overheat doing food plot work and for fitting 3 and gear for ice fishing. So far, so good.

28-Apr-20
I have a Rzr trail size. Can load it in back of a truck. Plus it can fit on narrow trails.

28-Apr-20
Ermine.......There are maximum width restrictions for UTVs on a lot of those forest service trails, correct?

28-Apr-20
I think it’s 50” T-Roy. Ranger won’t fit, Razer does. If I’m not mistaken.

—Jim

28-Apr-20
What could one reasonably expect to spend for a 1000 XP with Power Steering with no extras except for a front windshield and camo exterior. I will buy one before September. Thanks

28-Apr-20
I have a feeling this thread is really getting ready to take off!

—Jim

29-Apr-20
If I lived in the US I would buy one from up here in Canada for half price! I don't know which UTV is best but Probably cant go to wrong as long as its not built in china, I like the can am's

29-Apr-20

Kz15's embedded Photo
Kz15's embedded Photo
Bring it up Bake, I’ll break it in for you.

29-Apr-20
Nice buck, Kz15! He doesn’t look very happy about his situation, though! Is that a bit of snow above his nose, or a white patch of hair?

29-Apr-20
Oh Kevin!!! Someday I will!

30-Apr-20
After my Polaris was stolen I got a Gator and love it. But then my grandson is a dealer and he delivered it right to my drive way. My cost was great too.

30-Apr-20
Good for ya Bake!

Always wear your Helmet,

Robb

• Sitka Gear