newfi1946moose 19-May-20
kota-man 19-May-20
newfi1946moose 19-May-20
Mike Ukrainetz 19-May-20
spike buck 19-May-20
Ambush 19-May-20
newfi1946moose 19-May-20
25-Apr-20
Does anyone hear or know when the ca. border will open, I hear May 20.

25-Apr-20
Yesterday our outfitter offered our hunt (if border open) under highly unacceptable circumstances. We were booked for a fully outfitted hunt...meals; baiting; lodge care; skinning; etc. He offered to do the baiting/skinning. He would provide no meals, no care of the meal prep/sleeping/shower areas. You would have to use your own truck to go to bait sites as he wanted very limited physical contact, etc. We rejected that and asked for our hunt/deposits be moved to 2021 into the same camp. He agreed to do so.

25-Apr-20
There is talk of loosening some in BC, but not opening the border yet. We will soon be into the season of the two way traffic flow that happens every spring and fall to and from Alaska. I’m only guessing, but I think there will be some provisions and necessary guidelines to follow, but traffic will flow.

I’m also just guessing that fall hunts, in BC will happen under some travel guidelines.

25-Apr-20
Our outfitter feels that he would try a very limited hunt in western QC provided he can even get to the park's camp and bait. From what I have read in the Ottawa/Montreal Eng. language newspapers both provinces have a major struggle with the virus so my thinking is that the PM would keep the border closed well past June.

25-Apr-20
A week ago the pm said extend closing for 30 more days to 5/21 and he expected it to go well beyond that.

25-Apr-20
I really hope things change I have a hunt booked in NB. It isnt looking good.

25-Apr-20
Justin Trudeau is not in any hurry to do anything, most like is going to open the border In late summer the way he’s talking

25-Apr-20
I would be very surprised if it was opened to recreational travel before July. I personally feel that some of the early sheep/caribou/goat seasons could be in jeopardy honestly. But I have no inside/special info, just my “feeling”.

—Jim

25-Apr-20
I am planning to have clients in the fall. If the border hasn't opened by then there will be a lot of broke outfitters.

26-Apr-20
My feeling is the same. Maybe July 11th. Just a date I am feeling good about.

That would be one more full extension (to 6/21) and then show progress by coming in with a final answer faster than the next full extension which would be 7/21.

09-May-20
Any further update on the border? Curious if anyone has heard any talk

09-May-20
Our Top Doc here in BC says likely no non-essential border crossing this year.

09-May-20
I'm not sure about the logic of keeping the border between the US and Canada closed. Montana had a total of 458 Covid 19 cases, now down to about 10 active. You can travel from anywhere in the US to Montana, you are supposed to quarantine for 14 days, but how can that be enforced? Alberta to the north has over 6,000 cases of Covid 19, but are worried about the people from the US coming across the border?? Everyone thinks that the problem is coming from somewhere else, when they already have the problem. There was a time when shutting down the border, stopping flights etc would have made sense, but that ship sailed long before anything was shut down, in the US and Canada.

09-May-20
Have 2k down for moose in NF. Will owe 5k more by 30 June. Have no intention of sending it. If things work out I will pay when I hunt but it's virtually impossible to get money back.

Have not heard a word from the outfitter. I imagine they are nervous and really don't know what to do at this time.

09-May-20
Have you contacted your moose outfitter LKH? When is the hunt? Sounds like you need to have a chat with him on his plans. Phone him!!

I have not heard what Ambush has... I did hear that the border issue will be looked at again on the 21rst of May. 30 days at a time.

10-May-20
Spike Buck, I'm speaking strictly about BC. The plan is to open up parks, camping and lakes in the next few weeks to residents. We just came back from three days hunting and camping on Highway 37 which is one of the popular routes to Alaska. Not much traffic!!

Vancouver and Seattle share germs and culture like brother and sister. Outside of there we have very little covid activity confirmed.

10-May-20
Same here. Provincial Parks are going to open for day trips. Hardware and lumber yards are now open. We have no China Virus West of Thunder Bay to Manitoba Border.

10-May-20
The science is definitive. The safest place for people is to never leave our homes ever again. Hopefully my sarcasm is coming through. Hopefully those in charge of our border do the right thing and open back up somewhat soon or they will kill these outfitters.

10-May-20
So, my question is, as of now can Non residents still hunt in BC, and YuKon? I ask because I can drive through Canada on “essential travel” since I live in AK.

The thought is on my “essential” way home can I stop and hunt? Will they still sell NR hunting licenses? Are there Quarantine rules? I guess it will be fluid, but I’m wondering if I may pick up a great deal on someone’s sheep hunt if I can drive there and they can’t.

10-May-20
you're asking questions without solid and planable" answers at the moment.

10-May-20
Nowhere in the medical field have I read that they have controlled this virus. Number of infections and deaths are increasing in my state and the attitude of the public/gov. basically is 'to hell with it'...open up. Personally I would not travel across six highly infected states into a border state county that is increasing daily only to try to 'save' a bear hunt in the most highly infected province...Quebec. Bou is spot on! Our group's hunt has been moved to 2021 with the hope this mess is much better controlled than at present.

10-May-20
Newfi, no one is telling you that you have to. But they’re telling me that I can’t without science that’s close to definitive.

10-May-20
The goal was never to eliminate the virus. They know they can't do that without a vaccine. The goal was supposed to be to flatten the curve. Shut down for a few weeks, slow things down, prepare and get hospitals ready to deal with it. Instead.......They used fear and propaganda to convince everyone they had to stay home indefinitely. The abuse of power has been unreal. Even more crazy is how the American people just rolled over without standing up for anything. I never thought I would see that.

The border is closed tell end of May......I believe that is the date they have currently set. A few hunts may be able to go on and hopefully a lot of the fishing guides are able to stay in business this summer. I'm 10x more worried about the government and the fear of people than I am of this virus. Hell, we got people on this site that are "scared" to put in for tags! LOL!

10-May-20
People read and believe what they want to. Just like that stupid anti-vaccine conspiracy video that went viral a few days ago. I received that from 3 different people, who didn't bother to scrutinize it in any way. They just believed it because they wanted it to be true.

Matt

10-May-20
I have never seen an actual dates that says border will open anywhere

10-May-20
" I can drive through Canada on “essential travel” since I live in AK."

So I'm curious. If you live in AK, USA, how is it more "essential" for you to visit another US state than it is for any other US state citizen to visit AK? It's not like you can't get groceries or medical services up there. Unless you live in Hyder, or Haines, and maybe a few other places.

10-May-20
SBH Agree 100%.

10-May-20
Zebra- The border is currently closed until May 20. That was a 30 day extension from the April 20 end date. They did not say it would open. That is the date the latest closing is set to end.

10-May-20
.....and Canada pm said it would go well beyond that date. Hope not. Expect so.

10-May-20
Yukon and NWT have been turning people back at their borders if they deem your travel non-essential. If you’re going through to Alaska, you have twenty four hours to travel through. In BC the fourteen day isolation has to be verifiable and can be enforced.

I do think by sometime in June it will start a definite slide toward more normal. If the powers want to maintain some kind of control, they will have to relinquish some of it. Otherwise there will be a backlash that will swell to “isolation anarchy”. It’s happening now near heavily populated areas.

10-May-20
I myself don't think there will be an open border anytime this summer. Perhaps by fall. I sure hope I am wrong. I know our guides association has put a lot of work in to developing a Best Practises which we have submitted to Government not only for BC guides but for the CFOA as well. We are also developing a Covid 19 waiver with best practises for hunters to sign once the borders open up. This will be the minimum response government will expect.

I am thinking we may have to look having hunters fill out a travel plan prior to hitting the border, showing stopping points, overnight locations and final destinations. A full plan on how you will get to and from camp and what safety procedures you will practise.

I would think having a a supply of masks, gloves and hand sanitizer will be a requirement as well to show at the boarder. Maybe even a notarized letter saying you have no symptoms of Covid.

Just some of my thoughts around how we get back to hunting here in Canada. I would like your feedback especially around having travel plans. CH

10-May-20

Rut Nut's Link
Some of the counties here in PA are starting to push back.

10-May-20
Skinner: Thank you for the first suggestion that someone is thinking about how to get beyond this total closure.

10-May-20
Skinner, I do like your thoughts and, hopefully; when the border does open, they will and incorporate your ideas. I have hunted Canada for 34 years and intend to until dead! Our outfitter is in QC and we have many trips w/him so moving to 2021 was fine. Rgiesy, I totally agree w/you about government control. I hate it. Hard to trust a government that rids itself of competent people!

10-May-20
Well said SBH

10-May-20
Well said SBH

11-May-20
SBH nailed it

11-May-20
Yep, the liberal narrative changed from "flatten the curve" to "flatten the economy".

11-May-20
It is a virus there is no vaccine for a virus. We need to get exposed to build antibodies. It is time to start reopening, yes people will get sick, some will die. The flu vaccine is not at true vaccine only in name.

11-May-20
Don’t worry...Bill Gates and the WHO will save us.

11-May-20
I am a volunteer first responder here. No one dies up here due to strokes, heart disease, etc. if the hospital can list the cause of death as “probable” Covid they get $13,000. With ventilator, $39,000. That according to the ER people we deliver patients to. Yet, up here, only two confirmed cases I our county. Odd. Walmart is packed, the local sports shop likewise, but we can’t have church services. We are starting May 24, regardless, with distancing. This is nuts. Being a coach and musician, I have lost thousands in income and I get nothing. My Canadian gigs are probably gone. At least our politicians are doing well.

12-May-20
That's crazy stuff Lawdy. Sorry you've been run through the ringer along with many others. I hope everyone is able to recover from this and get their lives back soon rather than later.

12-May-20
A good friend's mother and father were exposed at an ill-advised family gathering. Both were healthy with no "underlying" conditions. Both ended up in the hospital. The father recovered. The mother died 2 days ago.

If your circle of family and friends hasn't been affected by this, consider yourself lucky.

Matt

12-May-20
BC said yesterday that border crossings for “pleasure and leisure” will likely not happen in 2020. There will be an easing for people to visit family, but with preventative and demonstrable protocols.

Hopefully the hunting business can be seen as a business and get going. My worst fear is that smaller family and locally owned outfits will get hammered and close while the big, foreign owned outfits suck them up and get fatter. Unfortunately, the politics in the executive of the outfitters association set it up exactly to allow this to happen. $$$$$

12-May-20
Huh? How is stating the obvious a dumb ass statement? Now I'm confused.

12-May-20
I agree with AP, it was a bit blunt, but that is the facts we live with today, and it’s not gonna change in the foreseeable future. And for that matter it’s a fact of life, it’s always been that way, and always will.

—Jim

12-May-20
There is a business opportunity here for someone. Sneak hunters across the border for their hunts. Should be a lot less border patrol on our northern border compared to the southern border. ;)

12-May-20
Stating that people get sick, and some die, is obvious.

Stating that the flu vaccine is "not a true vaccine only in name" is just ignorance.

Matt

12-May-20

Rut Nut's Link
Lots of people in PA are getting fed up with our Governor. Hospitals are removing their COVID tents out in the parking lots and things didn't even come close to what was predicted by the so called experts. Even though the eastern counties are less than 2 hrs from NYC. It's time to start getting things back to normal before this country goes into another Great Depression!

12-May-20
They said half the US will get the virus. Right now 1 of 300 have it. We were to "flatten" the curve NOT stop. Stopping it this soon is fantasy. Imagine all the checkups, cancer screenings, colonoscopies & many more important appointments that are being missed. Imagine the backlog of checkups when they all start up again. People will die in waiting for those late appointments.

12-May-20
I think it is safe to assume that spring bear or spring and summer fishing trips into Canada by U.S. visitors are not going to happen this year. Fall hunts are still on the table though. See what happens. I can't see them opening the border up to leisure travel when we are just starting loosening up local restrictions for residents .

12-May-20

huntinelk's Link

13-May-20
Have heard some rumors today that Jun 21st for the Federal border closure extension. Havent seen anything official yet but my guess is we'll hear something right away to provide a bit of clarity....

13-May-20
Must be planning something as they decided to close, in the NW of Ontario, all but the Fort Frances, Rainy River and Pigeon River crossings. NW Angle closed as a few others. He is still not wanted to announce his plans on the border.

13-May-20

huntinelk's Link
Putting the final nail in the June bear hunt coffin.

13-May-20
I’ve got an Alberta bear hunt booked June 6th. My outfitter said on their news last night the boarder is being planned to reopen as planned in May???

He’s planning on clients. Crossing my fingers he’s right

13-May-20
It's weird...I get a lot of "optimism" when talking to the outfitters up North but a different story from the media outlets down here. I guess we'll know for sure soon enough. For now, I'm guessing my 5/24 hunt isn't going to happen. In fact, I don't think my August sheep hunt in the Yukon is going to happen either.

13-May-20
Just announced on MSN probably going to extend closure from May 21 to June 21

13-May-20
I don't have any hunts booked but I got a one week Ontario fishing trip booked for June 5-11. It's getting close but I've not emailed the lodge yet because I don't want to hassle them about something they likely don't know themselves. I'm assuming this ain't gonna happen and my deposit will go to the same cabin for 2021. Anyone else call their lodge here lately?

13-May-20
Rebooked from May 18 to June 5. Just waiting to see what happens.

13-May-20

skull's embedded Photo
skull's embedded Photo

14-May-20

Russell's Link
Latest information that was sent out by email. 1 June parks are scheduled to start opening up some.

14-May-20
I talked with my yukon outfitter today. He felt 99.9% sure that his hunts would be off for the year (august sheep, caribou griz and even september moose) and that June 1st he would make it official. This doesnt affect me this year but would push me back a year.

15-May-20
Delta cancelled my flight to Edmonton yesterday. No option with them

15-May-20
Caribou77, are you booked for 2021? I have a sheep hunt in the NWT in 21 and wondering if that may bump me out a year as well. Would makes sense if the outfitters couldn't operate this year to simply bump those guys from 20 to 21 and on down the line...

15-May-20
That would present it's own set of problems. Considering that so many guys book multiple hunts years ahead, and therefore can't easily move a hunt forward one year without conflict. If any of my 2020 hunts get bumped due to the pandemic, I wouldn't want or expect guys booked in 2021 or 2022 to step aside to make way for me. I'll just go for the next open spot that fits my schedule and that of the outfitter, whenever it may be.

15-May-20
Mike I am booked for 22. This could push me to 23. I contacted my outfitter 3 weeks ago and told him I’d push my hunt back a year if it helped, or go early if it helped. I have nothing else booked. At that time he said all but 1 guy would be fine bumping back a year. The guy was my in my slot in 21 made it sound like he wouldn’t book later, so I still may be able to hunt in 22.

15-May-20
I agree with sticksender, but what you see with outfitters will be all over the board. I wouldn't be real happy if I had a hunt booked in '21 and got bumped because of this, nor would I expect to bump someone out of their spot for '21 for a hunt I'm missing due to this. If outfitters are going to require everyone in future years to be bumped, they better be prepared to hand out refunds for those getting bumped. No easy solution here, but bumping future booked hunters is not a viable option IMO. Makes way more sense to plug the guys that are missing out in as you go. You'll piss off twice as many guys if you start bumping everyone.

15-May-20
I agree with Sticksender. Pushing everyone back just pisses off twice as many people. Much better to work people in where they can be worked in. Flexibility from all will be key.

15-May-20
X2 Kota-man when an outfitter books clients and promises them a hunt on a certain year it should be honoured, this years guys cause of covid will have to be fitted where available in next couple years no bumping of already booked guys that’s the only way it’s fair imo, but u know there will be different views my wife thinks the other way.

15-May-20
I’m sure it’s gonna be a huge challenge for a lot of people. For me it’s a non issue. That’s why I let him know I’m good to go however it plays out. In all reality moving dates not work for some, some will back out and some will be moved. It will come down to each outfitter and client and what they can work out.

15-May-20
I agree with Alex on this one. I will not bump clients allready booked for 2021. I will fit in the ones who are booked for 2020 in Fall 2020. Some of the clients who cannot make it in Fall 2020 will be moved to 2021 and 2022. I have many booked for 2021. But all will get a hunt. Beyond anyones control.

Also, there were a few hunters that could not do a Fall hunt because they were on the front line. Nurses, doctors army. They took up most of the extra tags for 2021.

15-May-20
I had an appointment with my doctor last week. He is hoping that they keep the border closed. In fact he wishes that no tourists would come to Montana this year from anywhere. So I guess it depends on what angle you are looking at this from.

15-May-20
I'm booked for Dall with Stan Stevens next year. I'm not sure how things are getting handled by MMO and I should probably call and ask. My Musk Ox hunt with Ameri-Cana got pushed to next season as did my Bear hunt with Stickflingers. I had Cape Buffalo in August of this year but that's not likely to happen either in which case I'll try to sell it at a discount since I have Ken's blessing.

16-May-20
Just talked to my outfitter in NWT. Almost certain border shutdown until June 21. After that we shall see He said most likely if hunts don't happen he would be looking to push everyone back a year

16-May-20
Just an odd thought. As I am reading this thread, I am enjoying a thick slice of 'beef steak tomato', light mayo, toasted.......product of Canada! Last winter I pointed that out to a clerk in a Wallyburg...she asked me if Canada was a country..I told her it was a hunting honey hole...she just stared at me. Looks like things will be shut for hunting bear for this spring.

16-May-20
I wonder how long before both countries realize the shutdowns are far more damaging than the virus will ever be.

16-May-20
Canada's suppose to be testing out a vaccine starting today. Hope it works!!

17-May-20
Sure hope they do develop a vaccine! Besides having our hunt pushed to 2021, the wife & I were headed RVing out to NL and back....maybe can a little come Sept. Just hoping our outfitter can survive not having much of a hunt this spring. Does Canada have any program to save harmless outfitters considered to be small business?

17-May-20
The Manitoba government has a 6,000 dollar forgivable loan if u don’t get any monies from the federal for this year, the federal government suppose to come up with something for tourism if it’s like any other programs it don’t pay the monthly bills but it’s better than none.

17-May-20
All businesses can apply for a loan of up to 40,000 with 10% forgivable. But no one wants to go into debt. Better to ride it through to Fall or when ever. Ontario has no flat out forgivivable grant like Manitoba.

17-May-20
Certainly understand the debt issue. Our outfitter's client base is probably 90% American and w/o that this spring; having expended costs for spring start, may not be able to survive unless QC comes up with some kind of support to carry over to 2021.

17-May-20
5 days out no official announcement??

What’s the hold up?

Bet Trump has his fingers in this wanting it open

18-May-20
Anyone with good info/rumor on what the NWT outfitters are going to do for the early hunts(mid July-August)? I know what the NWT government is officially saying, but anyone know what the outfitters need? Like they need to be able to get into camp and get things ready for hunting season. Will they have time as it stands? Has anyone heard if any special exemptions are being discussed in the NWT for hunters (long shot I get it)? Thanks

18-May-20

18-May-20
My NWT outfitter is working hard to get exemptions for his hunters. They are bringing workers into mines with strict protocols so trying to piggy back off that and use similar for hunters Border opening probably biggest hurdle

19-May-20
Border talk has been pretty quiet the past week. Guessing we will have an announcement today or tomorrow. Hunt #2 for me "hangs in the balance"...(However, I'm not holding my breath.)

EDIT: I see the closure has now been extended to June 21. :(

19-May-20
I knew if I posted something, it would be announced...And just like that...Extended to June 21...

19-May-20
Would extending the date to 6/21 allow to see more big boar rut movement and activity?

19-May-20
In Manitoba I think it closes around that date

19-May-20
I hope the Canadian outfitters can withstand this closure. It has to be starting to be a real financial burden. Northern Ontario is one of my favorite places in the world and tourism is huge up there.

19-May-20
All should be good for those Outfitters who planned for rainy days. Our baits are swarming with bears right now. Can't wait to see American license plates roaming our Northern Ontario highways again. I would think this would be the last extension of closure.

For those who work and live in the North, I bet they will be welcoming American hunters and fishers with open arms!!

19-May-20
OTTAWA CITIZEN is reporting the the border closure has been extended 30 days to June 21st.

19-May-20
Manitoba's season is closed by 6/21. I've officially been "re-booked" to fall.

19-May-20
QC closes, I believe, at the end of June. They have no fall hunt that I know of, at least as of now. Closing the border up through June 21st will hammer their spring bear outfitters.

19-May-20
They say it will open “When it’s SAFE to do so”! What the heck does that even mean?!! What marker do we need to pass for it to be “safe”!!!

The China Virus is here to stay but our jobs and businesses are not if they keep this up.

19-May-20
Well, at the border in Fort Frances, there are no active cases. But right across the border in Koochiching County, State side, there are 5 active cases. Fort Frances mayor does not want the border open. There are so many that are on the government assistance in Canada, the $2000.00 a month, no ones in a hurry. Its crazy!!

19-May-20
Yeah, Spike and don’t forget they’re paying students $1,500 bucks because they can’t get summer work, while at the same time fast tracking foreign workers for farms.

19-May-20
What has happened to the old fashion work ethic? Back in the 1950s my father instilled that on my backside with a milking machine strap! I have hunted Canada since 1987 and feel terrible for what it may/will mean for all of her outfitters. Spike/Ambush, it is the same here as the Obumma years literally encouraged government dependency and this virus has pushed us to monstrous debt. Another factor that I fear will hit all outfitters and many facets of both our economies is folks having extra income for what are, for many of us, luxuries...outfitted hunts.

• Sitka Gear