Fuzzy 04-May-20
t-roy 04-May-20
midwest 04-May-20
Fuzzy 04-May-20
Beav 04-May-20
Fuzzy 05-May-20
Fuzzy 05-May-20
28-Apr-20
Anyone else having the crazy thought of buying and butchering a cow right now? With plants shutting down, I can't help but wonder if putting my elk processing skills to work on a cow wouldn't be a good thing. Guessing if I could find the right connection, I could get a good price. It would be the same process. (I learned to butcher elk from a cattle butcher.) I think the main thing holding me back besides finding the time to do it is the aging part as I don't have a walk in cooler.

28-Apr-20
Nothing wrong with aging beef but, it's not necessary.

I don't think you'll find too many deals on beef just yet. They don't mature nearly as quick as pork. Hogs will be the first and possibly only large slaughter animals to be killed and buried whole. Chickens mature very quick and I'm guessing will be killed and disposed of whole in mind-numbing numbers.

28-Apr-20
Starting to see some better deals on beef but as said not like pork.

28-Apr-20
Even if you paid $100-$200 over what the packers are paying the producers, you’d still be getting a good price. The producers are taking it in the shorts right now. Considerably bigger critter to handle for sure, as well. You could check with a locker to see if they would be willing to kill, skin, and hang (age) it for you for a fee vs the entire butchering and packaging. A buddy of mine butchers 5-6 beef in 2 days each year. He takes his fats to the locker and they kill/hang and age them for him until he’s ready to butcher. He’s got a shop set up with all the saws, grinders, etc., just not the cooler. Works great for him. It’s a long couple of days, but with 6-10 family members helping, they get it done every year. Helps a lot if the locker isn’t a long ways away.

28-Apr-20
Skip the cow, a heifer or steer will eat better :^)

28-Apr-20
I do it. Only problem I have is getting it to taste like what we're spoiled to. The meat you buy at retail is given a very specific diet that the American consumer has grown to love the flavor of. Without those commodities & secret recipe it's very difficult to replicate and one I haven't mastered yet.

28-Apr-20
& Ftr...I seriously doubt anything gets killed and buried whole.

28-Apr-20
Pop, were are getting close. These finished pigs have to go somewhere.

28-Apr-20

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
Got to do this one several years back, landowner had a "wild" bull calf running around, after he'd moved all his cattle off the Ranch. Rancher said I could have it. Took it as an opportunity to let my Wife kill her first "big game animal". We stalked it, and she managed to put it down.

She was fascinated by the breakdown process, being an RN. Some of the best meat I've ever had.

28-Apr-20
no

28-Apr-20
Darrell, I’ll sell you a angus or Maine steer. Just like wild game you wouldn’t believe the difference in quality and taste. Buying directly. Come pick out your steer.

28-Apr-20
Pop-r, producers here are giving away live hogs...for FREE. Not too hard to figure out what the next step is.

28-Apr-20
I remember listening to the ag markets while driving over from CO to Nebraska whitetail hunting many years back. Hogs were selling for $0.08/# that day. Thought about stopping in Ft Morgan at the livestock auction and buying one....hauling it to NE and butchering it. Since I was alone, only had the bow to kill it and just a topper on my pickup to haul it there alive, I didn't do it....but a 150# hog for $12 sounded like a hell of a buy. I would not have wanted to look the producer of the hog in the eye though for stealing his pig/money.

28-Apr-20
"& Ftr...I seriously doubt anything gets killed and buried whole."

It's going to happen. I have neighbors culling baby pigs as we speak.

When our family farm was still operational(dad is retired), cows had one calf a year. Sows had 2 litters of 10(average) per year. We sold the steers and market heifers at 2 years of age. The market pigs reached slaughter size at six months.

If you do the math, it's easy to see why the hogs are getting overpopulated FAST. That, an most large-scale hog producers stagger their breeding so they have pigs ready for slaughter once a month. They only have so much room to board and feed so as the next batch is weened, they need someplace to put them.

If you really want to help, and get some meat for the freezer, find a local hog farmer, offer to pay market value for a slaughter hog, take it home and butcher it yourself. You'll be saving money, and more importantly saving one pig from becoming fertilizer.

If the processing plants don't re-open by summer, then the beef market will begin to be affected as well.

28-Apr-20
Find the right rancher and you can steal a beef right now. They aren’t doing sh*t at the auction yard. You just need to decide if you’re ok with one coming off grass. If you want grocery store “quality” then it’ll need to be grain fed and finished with corn. That will add to the work and price.

28-Apr-20
Rob, sounds like they are planning to re-open our large pork processing plant here this week. That will be a huge weight off the shoulders of the guys selling there.

28-Apr-20
I’d go for it but there is a difference in grass fed free ranging steak and steak that’s fed a finishing ration in a pen. If you could I’d recommend feeding your steer for at least 45 days, 90 is better. For $3/day you’ll thank yourself for doing it. I take my steers to the local butcher but no reason you couldn’t do it yourself. I had a steak last night that I have about $4/lb in the animal, feed and processing. My steak beats anything you’ll get at a grocery store and most if not all steak houses.

28-Apr-20
& Ftr...I seriously doubt anything gets killed and buried whole.

It's already happening.

28-Apr-20
Our Local slaughter houses can’t keep up.

It’s a 30 Day wait to get a steer processed. I just sold a steer to two families

Total on the beef processing and wrapping was $2197

There are good deals at the stockyards right now.

28-Apr-20
Good deal, Justin.

28-Apr-20
I think if you're someone goes to sale barn and buys a beef and go straight to butcher with it that they will be sadly disappointed in the taste. Unless they have a little inside knowledge on the calf and know it was corn fed for a while. Huge difference in a grass fed beef and one being fed corn. We have a neighbor that raises grass fed be for sale. My wife trying to be nice bought some from them a while back. Stunk up the whole Dang house when we cooked it. Some people really like grass fed beef, but I am not on that list. The last one we butchered was on feed for a 180 days. Pretty hard to beat that steak. I would love to buy a couple of pigs right now and butcher. But there is no one remotely close to us that raises fat hogs anymore.

28-Apr-20
I bet your going to see a bunch of 'feral' hogs running around in the midwest before too long

28-Apr-20
It's not just corn that does the flavoring either. I've tried that. It's a combination of that, alfalfa & other things that "finish" one like we like it.

28-Apr-20
I can buy a whole processed and packaged hog right now for $1/pound. Too bad my freezer's still almost full of elk and deer.

28-Apr-20
KsRancher........I can hook you up pretty easily. I’ll swap you 2 market ready hogs for an #800 feeder steer, even up! ;-)

I’ll bet I can rig up a spot to finish him out!

28-Apr-20
Will you throw in complimentary bag of little gray morels?

28-Apr-20
Quinn is that in CO?

28-Apr-20
KsRancher, It’s pretty common for people to say to us, they have never had beef so good.

They buy meat at Walmart and think, Hey it says Angus so it must be good.

28-Apr-20
That’s a deal!!!......for ONE of us! ;-)

28-Apr-20
I don't even have room for a frozen pizza in my chest freezer. We have four deer, three turkeys, several ducks, geese, and fish. Otherwise I'd be doing a hog right now. If I can locate freezer space soon, I'll buy a hog anyway, just to help the neighbors out.

I would also ask that any and all reading this, please PAY for hogs, even if they are offered free. I would be ashamed to receive a live 250 lb+ hog for less than $100

28-Apr-20
Kurt you’d have had a rough time trying to buy a hog in Morgan the livestock exchanges are in brush lol. I bought my last hog at the market on the hill for 16 cents a pound a few months back. It was a ruptured boar no one wanted I don’t give a rip about a rupture to put a bullet in his head an hour later.

28-Apr-20
If it were winter, I'd be more serious about it. However, I would love to visit with Link and others who have had good luck fattening their own calves. My mom still owns a property in Alb where it saves her 2K a year in taxes to have the renter graze a couple calves on a pasture due to it being taxed as "agricultural." So we recently put two 500# calves on it. Need to decide if we are just going to sell them or try to finish them ourselves. My dad finished a couple many years ago and they were all but unedible. He fed them corn for 90 days and we have always wondered if he actually got his beef back or something else. Have also wondered if they weren't killed cleanly.

28-Apr-20
Yup, I guess it was Brush, where ever the daily livestock market report originated from...I haven't lived in CO in over a decade and the low priced hogs were way back, I'm guessing over 30 yrs ago as I quit hunting SW NE for deer around that time.

28-Apr-20
There are farmers in the midwest states that are giving pigs away.

There was a gentleman on AgTalk forum this weekend that farms in Illinois and he was giving away 20 hogs per person. Just bring a trailer and they are yours.

The large corporate pig farms in the midwest held a conference call this past Sunday to discuss a humane way to kill their hogs for bury in large pits. They stated that there are 3 million pigs ready for slaughter in the next 2 weeks and there is no place to send them for processing. I seen pictures of a couple farms in Nebraska that had Hydra- hoes parked on the farm ready to did pits and trenches for the dead pigs

28-Apr-20
Who is going to volunteer to eat the meat that’s coming out of a potentially tainted packing plant?

28-Apr-20
I fatten a steer every year or so depending how much we give to the kids. I have a feed mix I have done at our local elevator and feed for 70-80 days. Our beef is always top notch. Our neighbor raises pigs and they are selling more to individuals than ever before. Best of all is when he has one break a leg I get a call asking if I would like it. The last one was a 400# sow, makes you appreciate a front end loader on the tractor!

28-Apr-20
Got a nice fat Heifer going in on Thursday.

28-Apr-20
JohnMC- South Dakota

28-Apr-20
Iv spent enough time in our local packing plant to know that I’d prefer not to eat meat from them before covid but covid doesn’t make me any more leery of it either.

28-Apr-20
Since research has shown very little heat kills the heck out of it, I wouldn't hesitate to eat meat coming from and producing plant. Add humidity and 80 degree surface temperature, its dead in less then 1.5 minutes on plastic. So, i imagine a grill or frying pan is a great way to kill it. But, I'm dumb because I don't believe humans cause climate change too. So, take that with a grain of salt.

28-Apr-20
PigDoc how are they putting them down?

28-Apr-20
Send me all the bacon and chops you want from any Covid + packing plant.

28-Apr-20
Just read a article that talked about JBS starting to kill hogs and then dispose of or render them. It said it would be easier to kill them them and dispose of them all at central locations. It said 160,000 hogs a day in the US will be killed and not processed. I am not sure if its actually going to happen, but if so. That's hard to swallow. It wouldn't bother me at all to eat the meat from a Covid infected plant

28-Apr-20
Might be better and more responsible to report on what's happened not what might happen

Remember we should all be. Dead from the last ice age that did not happen.

Speculation serves no positive purpose

29-Apr-20
I have been using my down-time building a skinning/butchering/canning shed on the property (starting with standing trees) I'm almost done and can send plans (free) to anyone who is interested.

29-Apr-20
Pig-Doc, there's no use trying to throw facts at people who already "know" things.

29-Apr-20
the butcher-shed plans are an EasyCAd file so I can email them if you have a compatible program. Otherwise I'll mail them to anyone interested.

29-Apr-20
"Who is going to volunteer to eat the meat that’s coming out of a potentially tainted packing plant?"

Me. Zero evidence that COVID is transmitted through meat from an inspected packing plant. XXXXX2

Last time I heard this virus was very sensitive to heat. Imagine what a grill would do to that virus. Secondly, have you ever seen the work gear that these employees must wear at the plants. This aint no backyard operation. PIGDOC, I'm a DVM in northeast Iowa. Where you located????

29-Apr-20
Yeah I'm a Vet I know about captive bolt seems way labor intensive.A classmate at USDA told of depopulating 100,000 chickens with wood chippers...last meeting I went to they talked of filling poultry houses with firefighting foam like at airports and it basically smothered them.

29-Apr-20
Woodchippers was 80s.....

29-Apr-20
The closings are work force related and now liability issues unrelated to concerns of "tainted meat"

29-Apr-20
I considered butchering a steer myself several years ago, I weighed the fact that even though I had access to 3 freezers I didn't have a walk -in cooler. I was afraid that a 1200# steer without adequate cool down facilities might bone sour if not cooled down quick enough. Probably why our ancestors slaughtered in the winter. I'd hate to waste a good beef that way.

29-Apr-20
I'm going this weekend to a hog farm north of springfield, IL to get two hogs at .50 a pound. 300.00 for 600lbs of live weight.

30-Apr-20
"Who is going to volunteer to eat the meat that’s coming out of a potentially tainted packing plant?"

Seriously? It's constipated thinking like this that got us into this stupid frenzy in the first place...

30-Apr-20
Ben, the rule when I was growing up was to "kill" between Thanksgiving and Christmas ...in the Western Piedmont of Virginia this meant temps at night just below freezing and daytime temps rarely over mid 50's with an average daily temp around 40 meat cooled out well but didn't freeze and pork would "take" salt and cure properly.

30-Apr-20
A friend just bought 22 cull gilts for $10 a piece. Most around 100 lbs right now. He tried to give more, but they wouldn't take it. Said they'd only get $.07 a lb anyways. They all had either eye problems or small abdominal ruptures/hernias. I don't think they're destroying excess around here yet, but they sure aren't worth much. . . .

30-Apr-20
Fuzzy, you have any pics? Would love to see your operation.

04-May-20
pics coming up

04-May-20
I apologize for any duplicates

04-May-20

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

04-May-20

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

04-May-20

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

04-May-20

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

04-May-20

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

04-May-20

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

04-May-20

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

04-May-20

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

04-May-20
I'll try to get some more recent ones and some interior ones, we just cleaned up the site yesterday and completed "the chicken house annex" and "the bunny barn"..... there's also a 5'x8' quail/pheasant hutch that was part of the project.

04-May-20
the lean-to off the side witll be generator, air compressor, lawn mower and rototiller storage. The bare ground in back of the animal sheds/hutches and chicken run is a 1/3 acre vegetable garden. The woods in the background (and the garden area) is where the lumber (except the treated 4x6" and 4x4" "poles") came from. Mostly hemlock with some white pine and chestnut oak. We had two large hemlock trees (28" DBHand 26" DBH respectively) that were almost dead from the wooly adelgid . Great lumber for this type of project!

04-May-20
the electric hoist and the three burner propane cook top came in last week. I have the 125 Amp box mounted and the power service (10/3 w ground direct burial) line run, haven't hooked up yet. We will have a 50 amp 220 volt circuit, a 20 amp lighting circuit, a 20 amp receptable circuit, a 20 amp dedicated hoist circuit a 100 pound propane tank, well water and a center floor drain, triple basin utility and ware wash sink, stainless steel work table, 200 volt commercial oven. No bathroom since it's close to the house (and the woods, lol)

04-May-20
my home made cabinet smoker is going inside, and two large chest freezers, a fridge and eventually an upright freezer

04-May-20
Wow Fuzzy, I'm impressed with the structural strength of that building. It should hold one heck of a snow load. Good work!

04-May-20
Ben, I sure hope so. I'm prone to "over build" but in my area we sometimes have snow measured in feet. In the last 20 years (1993 and 1996) we've had two events that dumped over three feet...the winter of 2009/2010 we had two months where the snow never melted off and in some places was over 18" compacted.... most winters we don't see over 8" at one time but "most" doesn't cut it. I'm only building this thing once

04-May-20
my new neighbor has a skid-steer loader, I have tree-felling skills... we traded some work... I think I got the best of that bargain

04-May-20
Good stuff, fuzzy! I’ll bet your neighbor thinks he got a good deal as well. I wouldn’t want to live in the “chicken house annex”. Just when you start to get to know your neighbors........they disappear!

04-May-20
Damn impressive, Fuzzy!

04-May-20
thanks guys

04-May-20
Looks great!!

05-May-20
we put in three rows of green peas yesterday (200 foot rows) and four rows of potatoes (50 pounds of seed potatoes) too wet today but we have another 100 pounds of seed potatoes to go and the sweet corn, beets, green beans, turnips, parsnips, pumpkins, winter squash, tomatillo, carrots, indian corn and various greens (for food and rabbit feed). The other plants (melons, summer squash, zucchini, okra, tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, cabbage, etc) are already started indoors and ready to go in after this weekend's freeze.

05-May-20
I left out, two rows of onions as well.... we are planning to put up a LOT of food this summer and fall and have a little to sell as well

• Sitka Gear