ElkNut1 06-May-20
ELKMAN 07-May-20
cath8r 07-May-20
ElkNut1 07-May-20
28-Apr-20
Looking at this bow, any thoughts?

ElkNut

29-Apr-20
I've shot one a few times. Great bow, I just haven't convinced myself to put down my Halon 32 yet. There are some pretty cool upgrades on the VXR but it's not "game changing". From a performance perspective they're very similar. I might still buy a VXR this summer, this COVID-19 mess has derailed my motivation and access to archery shops at the moment.

29-Apr-20
I have the Vertix and a friend just bought the VXR

The VXR is a slight upgrade All the usual Mathews features, smooth, accurate and quiet. Easy to shoot well.

What really makes it nice is with a set of $30 mods you can change draw length, poundage and let off in :5 Without a press.

Leave the limbs cranked down for efficiency and change weight with a mod

Someone else can use or buy your bow

Had mine with 75# mods for Cape Buffalo now 65# mods for Elk.

BUT! I just bought a Morrison wood riser recurve with Max 6 limbs Saturday. So I’ll be carrying that in the mountains this year.

29-Apr-20
Just for comparison, take a look at the Mathews Traverse. I never shot a bow that holds so steady on target... You wount be disapointed...

29-Apr-20
Can these bows be yoke tuned? Or are shims required?

29-Apr-20

Jeff Pals's embedded Photo
Jeff Pals's embedded Photo
I bought a VXR 31.5 about two months ago. I was shooting a MR-7 up until then. The VXR 31.5 will probably end up being my favorite bow I have owned. I need to get some miles on it but so far I love it. The draw cycle is great and much easier on the shoulder than the MR-7. The wall at full draw is very solid. I like the 5 lb increment weight modules so the limb bolts can be tightened all the way when shooting 65 lbs.

-Jeff

29-Apr-20
Cool pic Jeff! I'd agree, the VXR is a significant upgrade from the MR7 although that was a shooter too!

01-May-20
The VXR shoots real nice..... I can't get over how ugly that riser is though. The cutouts are so disorganized looking it makes the waffle irons look good!

05-May-20
I wanted a Traverse but held off to see if Mathews was going to do a 34-35”er 2020. They didn’t.

I shot the VXR a few times. Ultra long riser and it still felt like a short bow to me. It also had the typical Mathews top heaviness. When you add a sight and a quiver, without a back bar and at least a half pound of weights it was gonna suck to carry around.

The Traverse just felt overall like the better bow. I ordered new because I wanted a specific Camo. If that doesn’t matter they can be had for 650-700 on A.T.

05-May-20
wrong thread in wrong state lol

05-May-20
Been shooting bows since I was 11years old, I’m 81 now. VXR is the smoothest drawing bow I’ve ever shot.

05-May-20
81 and still shooting?? Gosh I hope I can be like you!! Good for you!!! Keep at it! :)

05-May-20
Good stuff guys, thank you!

I am a bit surprised with the Traverse getting kudos over the vxr? Hmm!

ElkNut

05-May-20
I bought a Vertix last year. I think the VXR has the same cams. I actually went to the bow shop to buy a Bowtech and walked out with a Matthews. Previously, I shot Bowtech for 15 years. The Vertix is the smoothest bow I have ever shot.

06-May-20
My thoughts are you can do MUCH better. I like the current offerings from PSE and Bowtech a whole lot more for a multitude of reasons, but shoot what makes you feel confident.

06-May-20
Elkman, What bow tops your list of consideration that falls into the category of non-stressed out tuning ability yet is a decent performer? Thanks!

ElkNut

07-May-20
For tuning, simplicity, and just pure user friendly it's hands down the new Bowtech system on the Revolt series. They perform as well as anything on the market and better than most. Wish they were a touch lighter, but I wish the entire hunting market was a bit lighter at this point. (We can thank Mathews for that mess) I like the PSE grip better, but their lack of a real 2 piece quiver option and need for serious tech. knowledge and equipment for real tuning make them good for some users, and not so much for others. Bowtechs new deadlock system has seriously changed broadhead tuning capabilities forever.

07-May-20
I loved the mr7 hands down my favorite hunting bow. Picked up a vxr 31.5 and like it alot! Quieter and smoother but just not as stable as the mr7. Both excellent!

07-May-20
Thank You!

ElkNut

• Sitka Gear