Glunker 29-Apr-20
Pop-r 30-Apr-20
Empty Freezer 30-Apr-20
Firsty 30-Apr-20
Stick & String 01-May-20
Empty Freezer 01-May-20
Lovehunt11 02-May-20
29-Apr-20
Does anybody have any info with regards to Unit 421 in CO? Does it have quantity of elk over quality? I may hire an outfitter.. Thanks

29-Apr-20
If someone has anything useful to post why would you want them to post it for a few thousand people to see? Especially in an otc unit.

29-Apr-20
Because i'm trying to justify hiring a guide in a place ive never been to hunt an animal i have never taken. Maybe i'm naive but i know most people on here have been elk hunting for years. Just want to be around elk and have a good trip. your right, I should know better...

29-Apr-20
Never hunted it but I don’t believe it’s a quality unit. OTC units are also almost never quantity either unless you’re on good private.

29-Apr-20
What OTC unit is quality? I would not hire a guide unless you got access to private, and a lot of it- like 20,000 acres plus

29-Apr-20
Here's my experience in 421. Everything you've heard about CO OTC multiplied by 10. I thought 80-81 was bad til I hunted 421. And 80-81 is bad........

29-Apr-20
You have some decisions to make. You need a guide to maybe call in a young bull as I assume you might not have an experienced hunting partner. If you can pay a guide only slightly more that has access to private elk habitat do it. Generally it helps to have a caller, someone that might gave private water holes (maybe just need a trespass fee), someone to help get the meat secured and either just a companion for safety, to learn from and/or companionship. Think through what your needs are and what your expectations are. Shop around. You can maybe get a guided Cdn hunt for only slightly more. Prices might be distorted this year. Good luck.

30-Apr-20
I've hunted it a good bit. Last time was in 2010. It's not a good unit but I've killed elk there. It catches a big crowd out of GJ for locals and alot of nonresidents hunt it too. I feel I could go kill an elk there but I've never seen anything over about 260 personally and there's no quantity as well. The Mesa is a special place!

30-Apr-20
Now that's the feedback I needed. That helps me make my decision. Thanks to all.

30-Apr-20

01-May-20

Stick & String's embedded Photo
Stick & String's embedded Photo

Stick & String's Link
Hey Dave, Matt Burrows here. We talked about the hunt near Craig which has subsequently booked up. I just happen to have a semi-guided hunt in 421 near Collbran. Here it is. Either sex archery elk; 500 acres private; semi-guided/DIY; Borders thousands of acres of National Forest; 2 cabins – 2 man, 4 man; Only 1 group at a time in cabins; Can drive up to cabins, no access to others; Licenses OTC; 1st - 4th weeks open; $1995 per person. Please email or call me if you are interested. Matt Burrows, [email protected], 720-837-9840

01-May-20
Hey Matt, wow that looks like a huntin cabin in the middle of elk country or a postcard.. I have to pass with heavy heart but some group will gobble that up.. Good Huntin.

02-May-20
I hunted 421 for 5 days last year. I didn’t see any elk, may be because a lot hunters where I hunted push elk away.

• Sitka Gear