mgmicky 01-May-20
Black hoof 01-May-20
Glunt@work 01-May-20
RIT 01-May-20
Black hoof 01-May-20
Black hoof 01-May-20
weekender21 01-May-20
30-Apr-20
New to the site hello everyone in advance. Not a lot of input on this topic from what I’ve seen so I’ll ask the question here. Curious if anyone has any knowledge on what weed sprays are best for an organic farm. Se MN farm. We have tillable ag field that’s usually planted with alfalfa and a wide strip of field corn that’s moved to various sections of the field depending on the yr. To stay within our requirements on the ag fields I need to use the same practices for my food plots that are staggered throughout the farm. Most plots are smaller and access with equipment isn’t ideal so disking. Ect is not my first choice.( other reasons as well) Planting switch grass is in the plans as well. From the field to woods there is a nice buffer area ideal for the grass . I know the switch grass does not like competition and it’s not a cheap product to get started so I’m really hoping I can find a product like 24D or simazine like effects. I’m open to suggestions. Thanks

01-May-20
New to the site hello everyone in advance. Not a lot of input on this topic from what I’ve seen so I’ll ask the question here. Curious if anyone has any knowledge on what weed sprays are best for an organic farm. Se MN farm. We have tillable ag field that’s usually planted with alfalfa and a wide strip of field corn that’s moved to various sections of the field depending on the yr. To stay within our requirements on the ag fields I need to use the same practices for my food plots that are staggered throughout the farm. Most plots are smaller and access with equipment isn’t ideal so disking. Ect is not my first choice.( other reasons as well) Planting switch grass is in the plans as well. From the field to woods there is a nice buffer area ideal for the grass . I know the switch grass does not like competition and it’s not a cheap product to get started so I’m really hoping I can find a product like 24D or simazine like effects. I’m open to suggestions. Thanks

01-May-20
Most of the organic options you'll find are vinegar based, green gobbler is one brand. I haven't been able to find a single positive review for use on large scale projects like a food plot. If I'm not mistaken, the vinegar based options are non selective and will kill your switch if you plan to plant, then spray. I'm probably going to give one of these a try this year, I haven't used any herbicide on my plots to date.

01-May-20
To my knowledge, there isn’t an organic selective herbicide on the market. There are a lot of non-selective options due to the anti Round Up scare. As mentioned, most are vinegar based and don’t work too well. This is the best one I’ve used and it’s OMRI Certified organic. It’s not a magic bullet that kills everything 100% of the time, but it works well.

https://mirimichigreen.com/products/weed-control-concentrate/

01-May-20
Quick responses thanks guys. I will try one of these two options possibly a smaller amount on a test area see if I can get the results I need. IYHO will my switch grass project even make it under these conditions? Has anyone actually gone this route that anyone knows of? What was the success rate ect? 0-100%

01-May-20
If we weren't dealing with Corona, a field trip of students to hand weed while learning about organic sustainability.

01-May-20
Your switch can make it but you will have to clip the weeds just above the seedlings. It will just take longer to establish a good stand. Perhaps a combination of the above products and timely mowing will get you the desired results.

01-May-20
Quick responses thanks guys. I will try one of these two options possibly a smaller amount on a test area see if I can get the results I need. IYHO will my switch grass project even make it under these conditions? Has anyone actually gone this route that anyone knows of? What was the success rate ect? 0-100%

01-May-20
Idk how that posted twice lol! I considered hand picking cutting weeds ect but lord that would be a task!!!!!! Good to know I can get the switch to take. Ide be curious to know how far away from my ag fields I need to be to use a reg type spray herbicide one plot is 100+ yds in the valley the other spots will be close to ag fields within I would say 20 yds

01-May-20
That’s a good question. I’m not sure what guidelines they use to certify. I’d assume if your organic crop was uphill you’d be ok but that doesn’t account for wind drift potential.

• Sitka Gear