BullBuster 01-May-20
BullBuster 01-May-20
wildwilderness 01-May-20
Habitat 01-May-20
808bowhunter 02-May-20
808bowhunter 02-May-20
808bowhunter 02-May-20
01-May-20
Some of my beat producing areas for blacktail are small open grass pockets in a very dense forest. I have noticed a bunch of guava and blackberry starting to pop up and will eventually choke out my zones. Instead of constantly cutting them back, I am just going to spray them and was going to put some minerals too. The question I have is will the scent of spray deter the deer and if so, should I wait to put the minerals until the smell is gone? The only problem is that it is quite a long way to my areas

01-May-20
By spray, I assume you mean herbicide? Just cut the guava and treat the stump. It won't take much spray at all and there should be little if any smell after a day or so. Good luck, I never made it over to Kauai for a Blacktail hunt and I'm leaving the islands after 8 years!

01-May-20
Immediately after I used to spray Gly the deer would come right in and eat it as if I’d never done it. Made me sick watching all the pregnant whitetail does ingesting that poison. I don’t use it anymore. Btw, regularly cut blackberries are a nice forage briar for deer.

01-May-20
would adding a small amount of skunk scent to the poison server as an effective cover-up?

01-May-20
Have you considered burning if that’s an option?

01-May-20
Or maybe adding cayenne?

01-May-20
I forget about Hawaii/Kauai Blacktails! Does anyone know if they qualify for P&Y??

01-May-20
No it won't bother them

02-May-20
Thanks for the info. I cut a pretty big area of new growth guava to keep it grass and fern mixed in large native forest. Sprayed a lot of the stumps. Public land deep in the forest so burning is definitely not an option. I have found anything unnatural changes big bucks routes so trying to clean up rutting areas now. Added minerals to the soil in 2 areas to see how it goes. I wish I took a before and after picture

02-May-20

808bowhunter's embedded Photo
Wildvwilderness I dont see why they wouldn’t. They were introduced in the 60s from Washington.

02-May-20

Really nice buck from the camera I finally pulled today from last rut
Really nice buck from the camera I finally pulled today from last rut

• Sitka Gear