PushCoArcher 08-May-20
Glunt@work 08-May-20
txhunter58 08-May-20
Glunt@work 08-May-20
Firsty 09-May-20
txhunter58 10-May-20
Grey Ghost 10-May-20
03-May-20
FYI - For the new units in SW Colorado that just went from OTC to Draw, the tag quota for all units is 6,515

03-May-20
So basically otc lol

03-May-20
^^^ OTC for Bull Only lol

03-May-20
Edit: There are 660 cow tags allotted too

03-May-20
What do they base the allotment on, since there's no way to know how many OTC hunters there were in previous years? Could it be they based it on how many applications they received for those units?

Matt

03-May-20
Spot on Matt!

03-May-20
That has to help though with only about 10% of archery tag holders having a cow tag instead of 100%.

03-May-20
Doesn't matter how many hunted it in the past, its limited now.

03-May-20
Cow tags have been list A in these units for years now, so it has been a long time since the everyone had a cow tag.

I kept saying that they weren't going to reduce the hunting pressure in these units by going draw. If anything 6,500 is an increase and guys are now going to hunt it harder because they think they have a special tag.

03-May-20
Isnt the gun seasons still OTC? Not going to make any difference unless they control the biggest harvest

03-May-20
2nd & 3rd Season are still OTC- Bulls only. Cow tags were cut severely.

Even ML E/S were cut severely

03-May-20
At least it'll pull some points out of the pot.

It's also another incremental step towards all elk tags going to all draw, which I know a lot of people don't want, but would help management of elk and help out CO's ridiculous point problem.

03-May-20
A loss of opportunity and flexibility with no equal offsetting benefit to the CPW, hunters or the resource.

Bowhunters weren't taking enough cows to be the problem or the solution to any herd dynamics.

Any crowding issues it improves will be equally cancelled out by increased pressure in remaining OTC units.

03-May-20
cnelk, have you seen how each unit has been separately allocated, yet ? There will also be either sex PLO archery tags, for these units.

03-May-20

cnelk's Link
Here ya go. Happy researching

03-May-20
All elk draw tags for this area were cut (Excluding archery). Muzzy tags cut 22% and Rifle draw tags cut 23% And even though cow tags had been cut drastically already, they cut them back another 57% for this year

That actually I like. The sooner we get the herd back up the sooner we can get back to normal

The one current bad thing is that first rifle bull harvest was dismal last year (8% compared to 20-25% in the past). Bulls per 100 cows is At 16/100 and expected to drop to 13/100 next year!

So I doubt I will even get a tag there for a few years. I would not like my odds of harvesting a bull with a bow or rifle. The cow hunts should be great! But you will have to spend Multiple points just to draw one!

03-May-20

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Blue highlight is SW elk herd
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Blue highlight is SW elk herd
If I'm reading the stats correctly, I'm not too confident elk hunting will change noticeably due to this change. Aside from the impact of bowhunting not being enough to control herds either way, their target population in the SW is a couple thousand lower than the 2019 post hunt estimate and about 18,000 less than their 2020 post hunt expectation. I doesn't appear that a bunch more elk are in the plan.

04-May-20
Once Parks and Wildlife set a quote, it can be raised or lowered the following year. They needed to set number this year. Next year you might see a lower number. And with all the otc units that went to draw, each unit will have less then a 1000 bowhunters. That's quite a bit lower then the otc numbers the past few years.

04-May-20
Interesting post Glunt!

Based on CPw’s elk population data, those units are over population objectives.

Why limit bowhunters at all?

If bowhunters are limited, why are rifle hunters not limited in 2nd and 3rd season? They certainly have a much greater impacts/kill than bowhunters...

The reason that I heard from the CPw was that they were not getting good elk recruitment. Basically, the calves were not surviving the year to reach what they consider adulthood.

Poor recruitment was blamed on the bowhunters messing with the elk rut.

Their solution of limiting bowhunters with bull only and cow only tags will have zero effect on the underlying issue and makes absolutely no sense.

Are elk calves are being born (YES) Are elk calves being killed before they survive for one year (YES) Are bowhunters, muzzle loader or rifle hunters killing all the calves before they survive one year (NO) Are predators killing calves from the moment they hit the ground (YES)

There is obviously a predator problem in SW Colorado! Significantly reduce the predators and the elk numbers will rebound.

Even with reductions in first and fourth rifle tags, more bull and cow elk will be killed in any one of the 4 rifle seasons than in archery season.

04-May-20
Next move is improving bull age class and antler size. The current solution they are discussing is printing the regs on heavier paper.

04-May-20
Glunt, those numbers don’t make any sense. Something is wrong. Typo?

04-May-20
Makes perfect sense!

Since the elk population will be over objective, they can issue piles of cow tags!

Possibility even open an early rifle cow elk season in September to get the herd back in control!

Perfect sense. See?

04-May-20
If nothing else, there will be 6515 additional qualifying licenses sold.

05-May-20
TX, I agree with them not making sense but I don't think they have a typo in their numbers. It was well known before this got rolling that much of the SW was already at or above the target CPW population objectives, which are lower than what many elk hunters want.

If the point was improving the herd numbers or dynamics, this move won't. We just weren't a big enough factor to be a solution even if they cancelled all archery season. If the point was to reduce crowding, it won't. We had 51,000 bowhunters in CO last year. I would be surprised if that number averages below that over the next decade unless they go to a 100% draw. Even then, I would bet they have a similar total number. Moving a guy from a ridge in the SW to a ridge in the Flattops isn't a net reduction in crowding.

05-May-20
The “archery season” crowding issues are compounded by the rifle season overlaps - bear, early deer, early cow elk, sheep, and goat and even antelope in some areas as well as the muzzle loader overlaps for bear, deer and elk.

Add to that the late summer “non-consumption” recreationists hiking, biking, aspen looky-loos, camping, “wildlife watching”, etc. Oh, and don’t forget to throw in a bike or foot race or two or three...

Getting to the point you better bring your own rock to have a place to stand and bowhunt in this state!

Hell, the woods seem more crowded in “bow” season than rifle season!

05-May-20

05-May-20
Probably what the CPw is using to make their decisions.

The radical changes were pushed and implemented based on the 2018 data and a few very vocal and well connected people (who obviously hate bowhunters) before they got the 2019 elk population estimates.

Their model estimated a % growth of the herd due to their reductions and additional restrictions for the tag numbers that showed an increase in the post hunt 2020 populations.

Would be interesting to know when they last performed a good elk census in that area....

Would also be interesting to see their “population objectives” over time...

05-May-20

cnelk's Link
Here is the DAU plan for E24 [completed in 2006]

05-May-20

cnelk's Link
Here is the DAU plan for E30 [completed in 2010]

05-May-20

cnelk's Link
Here is the DAU plan for E31 [completed in 2006]

05-May-20
Colorado received 14,738 more limited big game applications than last year. So much for less crowding and point creep due to the virus.

Matt

05-May-20
Grey Ghost.. were those applications for hunt codes or preference points?

05-May-20
What about the fact that hunters must use their bonus points on limited entry hunts and that will use up points and maybe help take points off the table for 6500 guys. Initially it will bump point creep for these SW units but over time it should settle back as guys start using their points.

Best thing would be to go all limited and that would prevent the massive build up in points as guys bank points and hunt otc. Prolly will mean a few or many won’t be able to hunt a year or two in CO and shift otc pressure to other states.

05-May-20
I'm guessing the majority of these tags will go second choice or leftover so it won't help point creep much.

05-May-20
There is no evidence yet that hunters will have to use points to draw these units. I suspect most will be drawn as 2nd choice or leftovers. I suppose a few might foolishly put them down for a first choice but I don't foresee any positive impact on point creep. I hope I'm wrong.

05-May-20
It will be all over the place. Some, like locals, will put in for their normal unit because that is where they want to hunt regardless. Others will opt in hoping that being limited means less hunters. Some will leave and hunt OTC because they don't want the hassle of limited or they are saving points so maybe they try 2nd choice. Some will leave so they can still have the benefit of an either sex tag and the ability to move around more. It will take a few years to shake out.

06-May-20
Hopefully 6 points is enough, I've never hunted a limited unit before!!

06-May-20
I wonder if the units will hit the 35% NR cap?

06-May-20
Brad, if they hit the second draw or left over list, do the caps still apply?

06-May-20
NR caps apply only to first choice wins in the primary draw.

Youth applicants get preference in the secondary draw.

08-May-20

Grasshopper's embedded Photo
My CPW spreadsheet showed when it was OTC there were between 6-7k OTC archery bowhunters.

In listening to the commission meeting, they said they gave bowhunters exactly the same number of cow tags as rifle, and the bull quota was set to take it to prior year levels. Archery cow success rate is around 2%, rifle cow in some seasons was over 50%. With new rifle season structure, elk and deer will be massacred.

I have not looked in the brochure to see if the cow tags are B or A. If it is an A tag, total hunters will be more, B tag is likely less.

As I was scrolling through the quota recommendations, what I found really odd was they retained either sex archery licenses good only on private lands in quite a few units and set the quota at 1250? I understand the need to control game damage, I understand the need to move elk off refuges, but I also understand leasing and locking out average hunters. Seems like the lease value of private land just went up in these units.

If you listened to the commission meeting, Garcia once again said CPW needs to look at limiting Grand County. GMU 18 & 28 will be next.

They just don't get the two bigger issues at all which is the impact to the remaining OTC areas, and no one will apply as a first choice due to preference points held.

08-May-20

SW PLO archery either sex, get your leases lined out boys!

08-May-20

~6515 limited licenses for bulls, plus cow tags, plus PLO either sex.

JMO -This wasn't about herd health, it wasn't about crowding, it was about archers being limited and getting bull only tags.

08-May-20
YEA!

Hell, we should just do this for the whole state! What a great idea to make all archery tags limited and bull only! Too dang many bowhunters out there shooting all the elk and getting in the way of the real hunters out there in September with their rifles! Of course we will need to keep OTC unlimited Rifle tags in all the current OTC units!

Yep, that is what is best for the resource!

So glad we supported increasing fees to CPw! They needed all that extra money to be able to make such awesome improvements to the hunting seasons and make it all better!

Morons.

08-May-20
Is there a chance that their long game is to totally limit elk like deer is? I can see them getting a metric ton of pushback from rifle hunters.

It would be a lot easier to just say “Look, archery and muzzy is already limited. Sorry but we need to limit rifle also.”

08-May-20
I didn't read all the posts so this has already been mentioned.

Everyone that purchased an OTC tag previously, now has to send in an app ($$$) --- sounds to me like it's a money maker for CO.

08-May-20
"JMO -This wasn't about herd health, it wasn't about crowding, it was about archers being limited and getting bull only tags."

If it was truly about 'Limiting' there wouldnt be 6515 bull tags available

08-May-20
CPW appears to be more interested in finding ways to increase their revenue then properly managing the resources under their care.

08-May-20
No one informed on this believes this will fix any herd issues. Including those who supported and pushed it through.

08-May-20
They have gone on record as saying: We don't care about how many bulls are out there. Just need 1 per 20 cows (5/100) to do the breeding.

Thus, they are trying to build herd numbers by severely limiting cow tags for ALL seasons, and are basically OTC for bulls for ALL seasons knowing that they are already low in number.

Sad, but income from tag sales (money) rules in this deal. That is a fact. I won't be one of the 6500 this year

08-May-20
Everything I have seen says they are not trying to build the herd. They are at the number they want.

09-May-20
Dont worry tx58 there will be another guy from TX to fill your spot!

10-May-20
Or maybe even Wisconsin!!

Hey, I have a cabin there, And I love that area. Just can’t see spending $700 on a bull tag there presently. And that’s a group of 4 of us that won’t be buying a tag for there this year. For those that like 8% odds, power to ya. Will be surprised if there aren’t some left overs or a lot of turn backs

10-May-20
With no mandatory harvest reporting, why would anyone trust the odds that the CPW posts for any units?

Matt

• Sitka Gear