nmwapiti 05-May-20
RD 05-May-20
pirogue 05-May-20
Ace 05-May-20
TD 06-May-20
Fuzzy 08-May-20
Fuzzy 08-May-20
05-May-20
Has anyone ever put a hand gun, and ammo, in with your bow when flying?

Are there any restrictions to this or do you just need to have the case locked?

If I did this I would verify the rules with the airline.

05-May-20
I am pretty sure that the handgun would have to be declared in the bow case and that you cannot have ammo and gun together.

05-May-20
Last we flew you could have ammo and gun in same case but ammo had to be in the original box. Don't know how they handle reloads.

05-May-20
"Don't know how they handle reloads."

I put reloads in factory cardboard/plastic boxes (in the same case with the firearms) and neither United or Delta has had an issue.

05-May-20
Thanks that is what I figured.

05-May-20
I took a handgun to Wyoming. It has to be in a seperate locked case and then u can put it in your checked luggage. Gun and ammo can be in the same case. Ammo must be in the box it came in. I bought lockable box from Harbor Freight and put a padlock on it.

05-May-20
Chuck I would separate the ammo. I had two handguns along with two rifles in a TSA approved 4 lock rifle case. Was checked and ok'd by a NYPD cop at Kennedy signed the unloaded tag and placed in case and locked it up..as my plan was boarding I was called to the TSA xray area they had a problem with the two loaded clips that were in the case (seen by the cop and ok'd ) but they wanted it out ... guess they thought the clip was going to walk itself into the handgun and become a threat to the plane ... their flexing their TSA muscle almost made me miss the flight .. From now in I put ammo in separate locked checked bag.. seems some of those idiots like to mess with hunters.

05-May-20
I put a 12 gauge in my bow case on one trip to Kodiak and a rifle in it on another trip. Always had the ammo in an original box in the case (sometimes reloads). Never had any problems. The last trip was a couple years ago.

05-May-20
I went to Kodiak last year and had my ammo in the case with my handgun per TSA instructions, you can find a video on utube.

05-May-20
I ALWAYS put a pistol in my bow case when flying. I declare it, but by declaring it, it enables me to put private lock on it, and I rest assured that TSA is not going to pilfer, and move things around, unless I’m standing there to watch.

05-May-20
The rules about firearms and ammo being allowed to be together or separate, and in original box or not is very airline specific.

Different Airlines have different regs. Look up yours, follow the rules, AND KEEP A PRINTED COPY OF THE REGS WITH YOU. in case you get challenged Get to the Airports early, go to the counter and declare your firearms and expect some hassles, and delays, and be patient.

06-May-20
Just tell em you happened to put your bow in your pistol case......

I believe most require a hard sided lockable (real lock, not TSA lock) case for firearms. Never had any issue with ammo in the same case, (in fact you might have an issue with ammo in your other regular bags) but likely should be "boxed" and not loaded in mags. But even given that you never know what tool your going to run into. Some (most) are clueless WRT firearms and coupled with not being the sharpest of knives.....

Had an over/under broken down and in my Kalispel bow case a few years ago. Agent picked up the barrels and was looking through them like a telescope, then asked me "is it loaded?"

08-May-20
I haven't but I have a short barrel shotgun.

08-May-20
TD that's funny!

• Sitka Gear