Ramhunter 22-Jun-21
Ramhunter 22-Jun-21
t-roy 22-Jun-21
pav 22-Jun-21
wyobullshooter 22-Jun-21
Ramhunter 29-Jun-21
Ron Niziolek 29-Jun-21
05-May-20
Well I just cleared the next hurdle and successfully drew a Wyoming Unit 26 moose tag for 2020.

Now I just have to be allowed to enter the state to scout and to hunt!

20 preference points, 21st year of applying!

05-May-20
Congrats! That is a fun area to hunt with plenty of potential targets.

05-May-20
Congrats on the tag!!!!! U give us underlings hope. No tag 14 points for me

05-May-20
Congrats you'll have a fun hunt!

05-May-20
Target rich and fun is important - and if I can find a nice one all the better!

05-May-20
Congrats on the tag, Ramhunter. No moose for me again this year. 19 points going into next year.

05-May-20
Congrats Todd! Make it a great hunt.

05-May-20
I cashed out this year with 11 points and drew the only NR antlerless tag in 25. I figured I was never going to catch up for a bull tag with point creep and declining populations. Still, I'm pretty excited to go fill the freezer with moose meat. I'm planning on doing it with my bow hopefully and am wondering if I should hire an outfitter/guide or not. Any help/suggestions would obviously be appreciated. I'm bringing along my 12yo daughter and we are hunting elk horseback up in the Thorofare first week in October and then planning on coming down to hunt my moose right after. Should be a great adventure in some beautiful country!

06-May-20
Good Choice after all Todd!!

Anything I can do to help ya out-------> feel welcome to reach out.

Good luck, Robb

06-May-20
Congratulations Todd! Should be a great hunt!

06-May-20
Congrats. Wish I could help. I drew 20 a couple years ago and it was a toss up between 26 or 20 when I put in. Keep us posted. Best,

06-May-20
I need to apply wife next year,she has 19 or 20 points,a guide will cost as much as a newfoundland hunt.

06-May-20
Thank you all for the well wishes. I'm very excited! Just ordered a map of the unit this morning. Want to make my first trip to the area sooner than later to get a feel for the lay of the land and orient myself with the unit. Will then go back in August for serious scouting.

Anyone know when a guy can get in there with a jeep and look over the entire unit?

Thanks so much!

06-May-20
Congrats Todd! Wish I could offer some intel, but I got tired of chasing Unit 26 point creep and cashed my points on a lower demand bull tag back in 2013. Enjoy your WY Shiras moose tag of a lifetime! We expect a full hunt report on Bowsite of course...

06-May-20
Catch a big one!

07-May-20
I'll be up there next week, coming in from the Northwest side as much as I can with my JP Gladiator.

With the restrictive ATV/Quad reg's, easier and cheaper to use one of my JP's. Than to tow my RZR2 up and do all specifics for this FS travel area.

Exciting,

Robb

13-May-20
No outfitter needed for those Wyoming moose hunts, have fun guys. We've taken 2 bulls out of 26, neat area .

13-May-20
We found a giant in 26 last year! None of my hunting party will ever draw the tag so I’m more than willing to help. Send me a PM with your info and I’ll reach out.

13-May-20
Guys, thank you all so much for posting and the many PMs, I really appreciate it! I'm so excited about this hunt - 21 years in the making. I waiting on my map right now to arrive in the mail, and then I'll be planning my first look around scouting trip to get a feel for the area in late May, early June. Once I have that I'll be much more prepared to start asking specific questions. I'll keep everyone update here on this thread, so keep checking back between now and fall where hopefully this will end with a huge smile (without a facemask) as I pose with my Wyoming moose!

Todd

14-May-20
I'll do a Follow up trip thread in the morning from this weeks Snowed out trip to the Northwest side of 26, Todd.

I'm beat from traveling...…unloading ect-------->

Good luck, Robb

15-May-20
I keep getting the dreaded 504 error this AM, so I'll try again tomorrow morning....

Dang it,

Robb

17-May-20

Ramhunter's embedded Photo
Something very special arrived in my mailbox Saturday.

17-May-20

I’ve never seen one of these before - 21 years of waiting, and now it is really happening!

17-May-20
Good luck!

17-May-20

Bowman CE's embedded Photo
Bowman CE's embedded Photo
My dad, brother and I have all hunted unit 26. I drew in 2014 with 17 points. Was not easy, however, I got a bull. A photo on mine is attached. My dad and brother each got a bull on their hunts in previous years in the same unit. It certainly is a great place and you are going to have a wonderful hunt. We wish you much success.

19-May-20

19-May-20
Good luck Todd!

20-May-20

casper's embedded Photo
casper's embedded Photo
My 2015 Sept 21st unit 26 Archery moose . great hunt i had 16 points in 2015 to draw that hunt.

20-May-20
Thank you all for the responses and encouragement on this thread and through PMs.

Question for those that took moose in Unit 26 in the past with a bow, can you tell me the date of harvest? I was under the impression I had two weeks of archery to myself, but found out I have the entire month of September for archery only hunter, YAY!

I'm trying to get a feel for when you all found success and how many days you hunted before your harvest.

Thanks, Todd

20-May-20
Also, when do the bull moose typically start shedding velvet in Unit 26?

20-May-20
I killed my bull on 4 Sep 2009. I don’t have my notes handy, but he was the 28th or 29th moose I’d seen, around half of which were bulls. Every bull was still in velvet, except for mine. I was fortunate enough to get permission to hunt a couple of ranches. All it cost me was a few bottles of Crown, but I’ve since heard the trespass fee is a couple thousand dollars, and that was a few years ago. Wouldn’t surprise me if it was higher now.

20-May-20
I hunted the same ranches that wyobullshooter did and it cost me 2000.00 but i had 4 miles of prime river bottom and miles of farm fields all to myself and i threw in a couple bottles of crown. Wyoming moose is a once in a lifetime hunt and you can most likely never draw a tag again.

21-May-20

DEMO-Bowhunter's embedded Photo
DEMO-Bowhunter's embedded Photo

DEMO-Bowhunter's Link
I lucked out and drew the random tag in 2017. I had two other hunts booked that year so I couldn't go during the early archery season. I headed out in October planning on covering as much of the area as needed to find a bull. As luck would have it, we found this bull on day one right near camp and were able to get him killed the next day. October 19th

One advantage to hunting in October, there were a ton of elk hunters all over and once they found out I had a moose tag, they were very helpful in pointing out where they had seen good bulls. The morning I killed, they were tracking me down to tell me about this bull, but we had already found him the day before.

I'd rather be lucky than good...

Here's a link to my BS story

25-May-20

Making my moose arrows. I haven’t made or hunted with wood arrows in a decade, but thought I would go back to wood this year. Surewood premium Douglas Fir shafts, footed by Steven Burns. Paint and stains from True North Arrows.

I’m really enjoying the process!

26-May-20
Todd, On my last shiras hunt I did a lot of calling and used a Montana cow decoy. I was able to call something in about every other day. I'm not 100% sure the decoy made much difference but I would take one along just in case. The one I used was borrowed so I can't offer it to you. Practice your cow calls, it makes things really exciting.

26-May-20
What time of year was your season here in Colorado Jim that the calling was working?

Thanks, Todd

28-May-20
Good luck

02-Jun-20

wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
Cow calling seems to work most of Sept. I call in a few moose while elk hunting every year. Varies from early Sept to later but they come right in. Called this bull over when he had a cow with him. Came right across the meadow almost on string. Just use my mouth for calling and no decoy.

02-Jun-20
Hunted Shiras moose twice, killed Wy sept 27th, Montana Oct 2.

04-Jun-20
On the road this morning to Wyoming for a four day look around. Really just want to see the country and get my bearings. Taking my TJ Rubicon so I can cover backroads without concern.

Wish me luck, I’m sure I’ll come back with questions.

08-Jun-20
Returned from 4 days in Wyoming over the past weekend. Unit 26 is much, much larger in person than on the map! I didn't cover nearly as much country as I hoped. However I did get a good look at Hams Creek, West Hams Creek, and the Fontenelle Front along Fontenelle Creek. Also got a quick look at some of LaBarge creek private land between Viola and the junction to the forest at Fontenelle Creek road.

I found 18 moose in the creek bottoms in the willows. Glassing the willows can be good when you can get above the willows and look down into them perpendicular to the creek and look into the openings. One is limited looking much up or down stream because you can't see openings from an angle, you really have to be nearly straight above the area. But finding them and hunting them would be difficult in the willows. Any tips on hunting them in the willows? Call them out?

Overall I'm very excited about the unit and hunt! It was a great trip, I justed need more time to cover country!

Todd

03-Aug-20
Heading back to Wyoming this Thursday for another 4 days of scouting. I have a really good plan that I'm happy to execute to hopefully find some quality bulls before the season. This trip will give me insight as to where to start my hunt and how soon to be in the woods this season. Wish me luck! Pictures will be forthcoming.

03-Aug-20
Good luck Todd.

03-Aug-20
Hope the domestic sheep coming down in Sept don't affect your hunt.

03-Aug-20
Is it legal to use a drone to scout?

03-Aug-20

7mm08's embedded Photo
7mm08's embedded Photo
7mm08's embedded Photo
7mm08's embedded Photo
Took these through the windshield last week... during a rain storm. WY.

07-Aug-20
Todd, Sent you a PM

Joe

11-Aug-20

Found a few good ones on the last scouting trip. Excuse the poor quality of some photos taken through my spotting scope at a distance with my phone. Plenty of things to be excited about for this upcoming adventure.

11-Aug-20

Another moose with potential, very unique.

11-Aug-20

The moose I hope to find again during the season.

12-Aug-20
Sheep already arrived. Many sheep, many cows.

12-Aug-20
Sheep already arrived. Many sheep, many cows.

12-Aug-20
The sheep will come down much lower in Sept. They affect elk more than moose but watch for those dogs. Did you see the Big Spring ? Been wondering of it's still as impressive .

No drones for scouting Aug.1- Jan 31

12-Aug-20
Good for you Todd!

You'll have a great hunt man,

Robb

12-Aug-20
Good luck on your Moose hunt. Enjoy your trip!

13-Sep-20

My 2020 Wyoming Moose Hunt turned out just perfect. The season runs from September 1st through October 31st. I couldn't decide when to schedule my time off to go hunt and debated options all summer. Obviously September was the focus during the archery only season, but early or later when the rut starts? On my August scouting trip I found a number of good bulls, including one I named "kickstand" because of a droptine. This bull was of B&C size, but was taken on opening day as I understand it.

I stuck with my original plan heading north on Monday, Labor Day. The weather called for a significant winter storm coming in Monday night through Wednesday across the Rocky Mountain west. I thought the weather system may be just perfect for getting the moose up and visible through the day. By 9:00 pm on Monday, it was still in the 70's and clear - where is the storm anyway?

Tuesday morning was another story with over 10" of snow on the ground with more falling throughout the morning. Fortunately, as I hoped the weather had the moose up and moving. We found 6 bulls and another 8 cows & calves in the first few hours, including a couple of really nice bulls that I would be happy to tag.

I had to put on hip waders to deal with the multiple stream crossing as I made my way through the willow bottom that held the moose. The snow made for silent movement and I was able to sneak up on a group of three bedded bulls that morning, but couldn't get closer than about 100 yards. Hours later, the wind finally gave away my position and they moved away. I continued to dog the group, zigging and zagging through the willows, crossing the creek and trying to keep the wind in my face.

Finally I was able to get close to two of the three bulls that had made the acquaintance of a cow with calf. Moving within 25 yards of the group, I waited for the large bull to give me an opening. Moments later the cow and calf came in the opening with me, walking directly at me - at 7 yards they turned and maneuvered through an opening in the willows. Next came a bull still in velvet, grunting I was glad to watch him follow the girls. That left just me and the big bull alone, one on one. He reversed directions and came around the backside of the willows. Turning as his head was screened, I was ready when he entered the opening 15 yards away. The Bighorn Ramhunter longbow buried the Zwickey Delta tipped douglas fir arrow into the bull's side. 50 yards later he was down.

The hunt went by quickly, but I'm sure the weather conditions played a favorable part in the early success. The King of the Mountain wool kept me warm and enabled me to have a silent approach.

The bull has a 47" spread. I haven't scored him yet and won't as I never tape my own animals, but will wait the 60 days and take him to a measurer. It took Jim and I until midnight before we had the bull in the back of my truck. R&B Meats in Green River processed the bull in two days for me and the meat is delicious! Randy at R&B reported this is the largest bodied bull they have had in the shop in 6 to 10 years. He was a brute for sure - 4" taller than the other bull in the group that may have scored better, but was certainly younger.

It took me 21 years to draw the tag. Two 4 day scouting trips and a 1 day hunt cumulated in this wonderful trophy. I'm truly blessed!

13-Sep-20
Congrats! He's a nice one and sounds like a great memory was made.

13-Sep-20
Awesome story! Congrats on a fine bull.

13-Sep-20
Congratulations Todd! Great bull! Looks like it was worth the price of admission;-)

13-Sep-20
Sweet! Congrats. Thanks for sharing the story.

13-Sep-20

A few pictures from that memorable day and week:

13-Sep-20
Well done!!

13-Sep-20
More Hero shots

13-Sep-20

With my hunting buddy, Jim Anderson - couldn't have done it without his help!
With my hunting buddy, Jim Anderson - couldn't have done it without his help!

13-Sep-20

Randy said this was the largest bull he has had in his in shop in the past 6 to 10 years!
Randy said this was the largest bull he has had in his in shop in the past 6 to 10 years!
Nearly 500 pounds of meat brought to the meat processor. R&B Meats in Green River, WY did a great job for me! Randy and his team got the moose processed within 2 days and did a superb job. I've already had a package of the country breakfast sausage and it is outstanding!

I only wish they were closer and I'd use them all the time!

13-Sep-20
Great bull! Congrats Todd

13-Sep-20
Congratulations Todd on a heck of a bull! I leave Friday to try to get it done in unit 5 with my longbow.

13-Sep-20
Congrats ramhunter that’s a fine bull

13-Sep-20
Congrats, well done

13-Sep-20
Awesome congrats on a great bull. Hoping to post my success in the next couple of weeks.

DJ

13-Sep-20
Way to go!

13-Sep-20
Congrats, Todd!

13-Sep-20

When you spend 5 hours parting an animal the size of a moose, you need the best knife you can find. For me that is a custom knife made by Wayne Depperschmidt here in Colorado. Five hours of moose work and it still has an edge.

Thanks Wayne!

14-Sep-20
Awesome hunt Todd! Congrats on a fine Shiras bull! Shot my WY Shiras bull at 15 yards as well. Pretty intense having an animal that big at such close range. Way to get it done!

14-Sep-20
Congrats. Once in a lifetime. Enjoy

14-Sep-20
Congrats, especially for getting it done with a longbow. Nice recap and stories.

BB shot his last bull moose in that unit years ago, might have been around ‘08 or so, and I visited him during his hunt because I was hoping to draw my tag there. Instead I drew in nearby unit 4 and shot a small bull with my recurve.

14-Sep-20
Great animal, congratulations and thanks for taking us along

14-Sep-20
Congratulations.

14-Sep-20
Awesome! Congrats on a great bull!

14-Sep-20
Congrats on your bull!

14-Sep-20
Love this! Congratulations, Todd!

14-Sep-20
Congrats!

14-Sep-20
Congrats on your hunt!!!!

14-Sep-20
Awesome!

14-Sep-20
Awesome!! Congrats on your bull! Glad to see it come together for you!

14-Sep-20
Great story of hard work paying off on a bull of a lifetime, congrats man!!

15-Sep-20
Congrats!

17-Sep-20
Good for you!

I just got home from bow elk hunting up there and bumped a dandy Bull Moose, but I see you already harvested.

Congrats,

Robb

17-Sep-20
good stuff,,,congrats!

17-Sep-20
great story and pics. congratulations.

17-Sep-20
Moose are so much fun to hunt....congratulations on your success.

17-Sep-20
This is so awesome! Congratulations

17-Sep-20
Way to go Todd. That was a fun read! What a memory to put away in the bank. Congrats

21-Sep-20
Nice bull!

28-Sep-20
Congratulations! Awesome bull.

you give me hope that I will get some return on my preference points

28-Sep-20
Congratulations Todd. Moose are a lot of fun - and a lot of work.

28-Sep-20
Congrats Todd!

Great story!! Thanks for sharing...

28-Sep-20
Gee Todd, half the guys on Bowsite were not even born when you started to apply for that tag :). I am so glad for you and your success. my best Paul

29-Sep-20
Congrats! Thanks for the story and pics!

29-Sep-20
That was awesome, congrats to you!

29-Sep-20
Nice bull congrats.

29-Sep-20
Nice bull congrats.

30-Sep-20
Thank you all for the congratulatory messages. I appreciate it. It was a great hunt and experience.

01-Oct-20
Congrats Todd. That’s awesome

19-Oct-20
Big Congrats! Gives us waiting to draw some hope!

21-Oct-20
Congrats on a great bull!

R&B Meats is a great shop and good people. The last two years we've brought elk there and Randy has hooked us up with hot dogs and sausage that were ends of the run to take back to camp for the remainder of our hunt.

21-Oct-20
Gotta love it when a dream becomes reality! Congrats on a beaut

22-Jun-21

Just got pictures from my taxidermist of my completed moose mount. He’ll becoming home soon.

22-Jun-21

22-Jun-21

22-Jun-21
Congrats again on your bull, Todd. He looks great! I’ll be headed out there this year, in 5. I’d be tickled to get a crack at a bull that nice!

22-Jun-21
Good looking Shiras mount Todd! Congrats again!

22-Jun-21
Nice! Congratulations on fulfilling a dream!

29-Jun-21
132 6/8” P&Y net score

140 0/8” Compton score

29-Jun-21
Nice looking bull, Todd!

• Sitka Gear