Cheesehead Mike 07-May-20
papadeerhtr 09-May-20
Cheesehead Mike 10-May-20
05-May-20

Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
You’re full draw, 20 yards. He just finished bugling and is not on high alert. Pick your spot and let us know which color!

05-May-20
Blue/yellow and watch him fall over.

05-May-20
I think NO.

05-May-20
Yellow

05-May-20
Yellow. I've made that shot. That's a dead bull walkin.

05-May-20
Yellow

05-May-20
Yellow, if you have a good arrow and broadhead.

05-May-20

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Right in the center of yellow, blue, white, pink. That's pretty much the shot I had, except his head was down, drinking and it was a bit closer than 20 yards. He barely made it out of the small pond.

05-May-20

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Bugled this bull in & hit him in the yellow/blue area, he died in sight. The Iron Will head passed clean through & I never found the arrow!

ElkNut

05-May-20
For the record I’m going blue. I think yellow exits behind the front leg and i would prefer that arrow to drive through the body cavity.

05-May-20
Blue. Nice bull Ziek! Where did you say you were hunting?

05-May-20
Yellow for me

05-May-20
yeller

05-May-20
Am I color blind or do I see top to bottom left to right.

Yellow red green White blue black White yellow.

Which yellow is everyone shooting at???

05-May-20
Top left is orange. Bottom right is pink.

05-May-20
Probably your monitor.

Top row: Orange, Red, Green Middle: Yellow, Blue, Black Bottom: White, Pink

At least that's what I see on my iMac with Retina display.

Whocares. That might have been tongue-in-cheek, but since I probably won't be there again anyway, I don't mind saying. Colorado Unit 2. My second time in 6 years.

05-May-20
Tdvorak. Yeah that tells a lot - mostly that it's designed for a bear not an elk and a rifle shooter. Really? "Aim at the center of the shoulder."? It's instructive, to a point though.

But I wouldn't recommend that shot for every one. Depends on your equipment, shot distance, and your experience/composure when confronted with the beast. You could wait for him to keep coming, but it's just as likely he'll spook and bolt. Or, like mine, he may not/probably won't go farther into the water. Once a critter is in close range, and offers a shot you KNOW you're confident with, I see no need to wait for something just a bit better. In other words, if this is your first elk, it doesn't much matter how many bullseyes you've made on targets.

06-May-20
Yellow, where I shot my bull this year and he died on the bench right below me.

06-May-20
Ziek X2

I don’t think people are telling others to shoot that spot. It’s where they would shoot.

Too many variables to tell someone else to shoot.

Does that person fall apart at the shot Can they Even control themselves on a broadside shot and hit a 6” circle on an animal at that particular range.

If you don’t know how that person reacts under pressure

Or you aren’t yet sure how you act under pressure, it’s probably not the shot for you.

Being able to hit a target that size in the backyard doesn’t count.

06-May-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Yellow pin here

06-May-20
I that someone’s sight pin going all over the animal? :^)

06-May-20
Brad, is that what your pin float looks like? ;-)

06-May-20
IMO...those Montana heart shots don't have alot of margin of error. I like that bear shot percentage chart above.

06-May-20
Definitely between the yellow and the blue. And I wouldn't hesitate to take the shot.

Matt

06-May-20
Blue

06-May-20
None of the above. Broadside or slightly quartering away or I hold my fire.

06-May-20
cnelk- I suspect you can emulate that pin float from a pickup box on a forest service road!

06-May-20
pass (due to inexperience)

06-May-20
Yellow. Maybe a hair left. I've taken that shot on an elk and he died super quick.

I've also passed that shot on an elk, because he was at a wallow, and nervous and had me spotted. He gave me a broadside at 27 just a few moments later.

06-May-20
Left edge of blue for me.

Tdvorak, I'm curious what you believe somebody would hit on the elk that would cause him to "die in about a month or three" if they "flub a tiny bit"?

06-May-20
Paul, that was an expensive lost arrow:) You better go back and find that head!

06-May-20
Matt, yes sir it was a 50.00 down the tube! I did look for it pretty hard but there was so much brush there it made it impossible to find! It seems my 425 grain setup blows through nearly every bull, fortunately I've found most of those arrows. (grin)

ElkNut

06-May-20
Yellow for me but also depending on arrow weight and broadhead blue may work but you may catch the point of the shoulder. I shoot a 550 grain arrow with a coc broadhead out of a 63# bow so either would work for me. Shawn

06-May-20
Yellow all day long.

06-May-20
My analysis

Hitting right on the Black or Green with my setup would take out the left lung and liver. Can't see him going more than a 150yds before bedding from blood loss and that the right lung should start to get blood in it. You would have a 2 hour wait before picking up the trail. But not a good spot to hit. But if you did, I think he's recoverable.

Orange and red to me are two high and would have to punch through the scapula and only get on lung, no liver. If lucky you would find him, but he needs 5 or 6 hours.

Purple and blue are to close to the humerus and bottom of the hard part of the scapula, no shot.

White is to low for me. Could get bottom of heart BUT!!

Yellow would most likely get both lungs, even heart. I only think he will go as far as he can go in 12 second or less. Ed

06-May-20
"Yellow. Maybe a hair left." Can you explain Bake? I was thinking yellow would work, but between yellow and blue. Why left of yellow?

06-May-20
Yellow

06-May-20
I'm with Bake....I believe just a touch left of yellow. I would call yellow right on the leading edge of the knuckle where the scapula and humerus meet. Not an archery set up made that will consistently break/blow through that. Even 2" left of yellow lies all kinds of mushy, heavily vascular things that make elk go nite- nite all by themselves...then beyond that is leading edge of left lung, center of right lung and a likely exit. Amazingly deadly shot!

Although I believe, at least for a few seconds, my pin float would look like cnelks...

06-May-20
Ucsdryder, Please tell me that there is an "AFTER" photo to go with that pre-shot picture?!…..and if there is....post it!

07-May-20
I like the yellow best, but I don’t see much margin for error with that. Orange looks like neck-bones to me.

To my eye, blue could well be the shoulder joint and left of yellow might pass forward of the near lung and I don’t care to single-lung a bull. Or a cow, or a deer, or....

Ideally, the bull would be headed off to my left and I could get drawn when his head went behind some kind of a screen. If he passed to my right I’d guess I was about to be busted, but he can’t get there without passing through straight-on frontal at pretty short range, which might work if I could get drawn. If I were already at full draw, I’d have to make a gut-check and shoot pretty soon.... or let down and screw the pooch.

07-May-20

Ucsdryder's Link
Here’s the correct video.

https://youtu.be/kYiqHSPg64E

07-May-20
Between yellow and blue

07-May-20
No shot for me. If he turns slightly to face me, I'll send it to the yellow. If he turns slightly away from me, just at the black.

I'm staying away from that large knuckle that lies in the middle of those four dots in that picture.

07-May-20
On board with WapitiBob all day on this one!

07-May-20
On board with WapitiBob all day on this one!

07-May-20
I'm in the shoot at first opportunity I have crowd and would aim at the left side of the yellow. Blue looks like hard shoulder bone to me. Not should blade, but knuckle.

07-May-20

Crap, wrong thread.

07-May-20
This is probably stating the obvious, but I believe the goal with this shot is for your arrow to find a path to the heart and lungs and also sever some of the major vessels connected to the heart and lungs.

If you project a line thru the yellow dot I don't think you're getting very deep into the chest cavity and may pass thru in front of, or on the front edge of the heart and lungs. I think the yellow dot is pushing it to left and I certainly wouldn't want to go any farther left. If you do I think you're hitting mostly neck rather than chest cavity.

09-May-20
Yellow maybe a hair left of it, but yellow.

10-May-20
Left of yellow is basically a neck shot without ever entering the ribcage/chest cavity. About your only hope left of yellow is hitting the jugular.

You want to shoot thru the chest cavity and in order to do that you want your arrow to exit behind the off side leg, or farther back or stay in the elk without exiting. If you shoot left of the yellow dot your arrow will exit in front of the off side leg or hit it.

So by shooting left of the yellow dot your entrance hole is a long way in front of the near side leg and your exit is in front of the off side leg or hits it. An arrow that passes thru an elk in front of both front legs never enters the chest cavity or just barely pierces it.

You want your arrow inside the chest cavity and I think yellow is too far left to accomplish that at this angle.

• Sitka Gear