lewis 06-May-20
Pat Lefemine 07-May-20
BOHUNTER09 07-May-20
RIT 07-May-20
lewis 08-May-20
BOHUNTER09 08-May-20
lewis 08-May-20
06-May-20
I have a plot planted last fall with alfalfa with oats and wheat planted with it.When should I mow this plot. I am not a big fan of alfalfa as it is hard to grow but thought I would give it a shot. I also have a plot with just wheat and oats in it that was planted last fall.Should I entertain any thoughts on a no till plot if so what would be the best crop to spread. I have never tried the no till method except for overseeding clover or brassicas.Any thoughts would be appreciated.Good luck and stay safe Lewis

07-May-20
No till for alfalfa is throwing away money.

07-May-20
Is there any alfalfa in the wheat oats plot?

07-May-20
A lot going on there. Sounds like alfalfa was already planted last fall. A lot of alfalfa gets no tilled around here in the Spring with a cover. Do you have a good throw of alfalfa in with the wheat already? I have never planted wheat but used Winter Rye when establishing clover in the fall. I clip the WR a few times in the Spring just above the clover. I would think you could do the same to the wheat.

The second plot is the plot you want to no till into? The oats should have died and your wheat should be alive and well. If you are just looking for a good soil builder or a smother crop you could broadcast or drill buckwheat into the terminated wheat. Then broadcast your fall seed into the buckwheat. It’s not a great attractant but good for the soil.

08-May-20
Yes a pretty good stand of alfalfa in the wheat and oats.Pat I was not going to no till alfalfa just wondering what I might do in my pure strands of wheat and oats.Thanks RIT for the info. Good luck and stay safe Lewis

08-May-20
If you have good alfalfa? You can mow the wheat any time

08-May-20
Gotcha thanks all Lewis

• Sitka Gear