Scooby-doo 09-May-20
Jaquomo 09-May-20
ElkNut1 09-May-20
joehunter 10-May-20
welka 16-May-20
07-May-20

Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
You’re at Full draw when the elk picks off your caller 30 yards behind you. He’s tense, ready to bolt. You’re only 12 yards away.

I left purple because if you remember back to my recap this year, my buddy went for the old neck shot.

07-May-20
Just right of green or black but green would be first choice. Shawn

07-May-20

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
I like yellow or orange. From your dots blue as green and black are on the shoulder bone.

07-May-20

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo

07-May-20
I like WapitiBob's

If he is aware though, my bigger problem is getting drawn at 12 yards. . . .

07-May-20
I’d choose WapitiBob’s choice as well....as long as that is kosher with him ;-)

07-May-20
There is really nothing all that great there for archery. Sure, you could kill him. But you could wound him as well. I'd wait for a better angle.

With a rifle, that dot right under the jaw bone would drop him in his tracks with no meat loss at all.

07-May-20
Between the black and the added yellow.

07-May-20
Yellow

The only bone behind the blue dot is ribs.

07-May-20
I would take that pink Star of David shot

07-May-20
I'm going to keep with the op'er choices because thats the choices he only give us. If I hit right on the lite blue, I got right lung and liver. Give him a few hours and take up the trail slowly. Red, green and black are to close to bone. I won't think of a neck shot. Ed

07-May-20
What Teeton said.

07-May-20
Wouldn't take the shot, to risky.

07-May-20
The red dot is close to bone but clear of it if you 10 ring it. But if you miss behind the heart, there's a chance to miss both lungs and get a lot of gut/stomach. That spot is a dead elk broadside or quartered away, but a very bad shot quartered to as shown in the picture.

The black and green are over bone.

The light blue is the only shot that's going to reasonably hit both lungs and avoid large bone, although Bob's star will work too - problem is, you miss just a little left or right and you're in bone or risk missing the nearside lung or barely clipping it.

I've shot a couple animals way up front like that and they don't die quick. There's just not enough vessels up there to bleed them fast and unless you collapse bigger areas of lung, it doesn't kill them quick.

07-May-20
What do you think of the bone placement here. Watching the video you can get a pretty good outline when hes walking up

07-May-20

Ucsdryder's Link
Here’s the picture and the video.

07-May-20
Links yellow for me. If on that dot, it is a VERY deadly shot.

Interesting star.....

07-May-20
Shot the blue dot on a bull 5 yrs ago, he made it about 100 yds.

07-May-20
I like Wapitibob's location as well but not afraid to take the blue dot as well, both will kill that bull!

ElkNut

07-May-20
I'm not sticking to the original dots that we were given because I'm not crazy about any of them. I like the lower left part of WapitiBob's star since it appears that the bull is slightly above me. That shot would exit behind the off side front leg.

The green and black dots are too close to the leg bone and the blue and red dots would most likely only get one lung and exit thru guts possibly making for a tough blood trail.

07-May-20
What he said.

08-May-20
UC, your bone lines are too big. The humerus on a bull elk is about 2 inches thick in the shaft and your drawing is like 4 inches. Also, the scapula angles up more and is not that wide at either end, but especially the humerus side. The upper left of your drawing, there's no scapula there; it's just rib. You've got scapula well behind the crease and that's not the case.

Your scapula looks like a 2x6 when it should look like a fan blade.

Not talking trash, just my feeling on it.

08-May-20
t-roy….lol!

08-May-20
No "between the eyes" lovers here?

08-May-20
I understand everyone having their favorite spot. But of the only choices that Ucsdryder stated, which spot would you of picked. Ed

08-May-20
Mike, now you're just getting picky! Wapitibob's star is spot on! (grin)

We're talking 12 yards here, there's several choices that will put that bull down without him having a chance to bolt & change angles. Stay away from any bone & you're good to go!

ElkNut

09-May-20
I’m with Ike & Mike ;)

UCSD’s sketch of the bones looks mighty Off to me; not just the proportions but the location. I’m not going to pretend that I can say exactly where all the big bones are in that pic, but I’m pretty sure that’s closer to where the aren’t....

Two things here -

1 - As a rule, if I can see daylight between the forelegs, I’m probably going to hold to split that gap down the middle - unless I see heavy bone in the way.

2 - I think the gal in the video had a much more favorable shot angle than the camera man did. From where she was standing, she should probably have had an easy shot behind the shoulder... but it’s really hard to tell because of the way that camera lenses distort the perception of space & distance.

So not sure, but I think so.

I like the center of the black/green/yellow triangle myself. Unless that’s the shoulder joint.

09-May-20
Yeah, I know :-)

And I know the blue dot would do the job but it would not be my first choice due to the possibility of one lung and guts.

It's easy to sit here and study these photos and shot options but in the real world the decision usually has to be made very quickly and it helps me to visualize the arrows path thru the bull.

My first bull was pretty much this exact same angle. I called him in and saw him coming, I dropped to my knees and drew on him when he was at about 30 yards. He kept coming and stopped at 8 yards, I felt like he was towering above me. This was long before I knew anything about the controversy surrounding the frontal shot. For a split second I considered shooting tight behind the shoulder but I visualized the path of my arrow thru the vitals with a shot in front of the shoulder and said to myself "I can kill him". I shot him in WapitiBob's star and he went 105 yards and did the death moan bugle...

09-May-20

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Ha Ha, glad you could see I was horsing with you! I truly respect your thoughts & your success!

Along with your story I had the opposite event happen to me; a bull came in running to my Sons calling, he stopped at 14 yards broadside, perfect right! He was a body length passed me so no problem to draw & fire from my longbow since I was at the ready with arrow nocked, I drew & fired in an instant, as I released I saw him turn in a flash to bolt where he came from. The arrow impacted as if a frontal shot with 7" of arrow in him, ouch not what I had planned! The bull made it 150 yards & was stone dead from a frontal with little penetration! I was luckier than good that day!

ElkNut

09-May-20
“ It's easy to sit here and study these photos and shot options but in the real world the decision usually has to be made very quickly and it helps me to visualize the arrows path thru the bull.”

If I may....

I think a lot of people who practice a lot on 3-D targets end up making bad hits in the field because they are so much in the habit of shooting at the scoring rings on the outside, rather than doing what you’re talking about doing. It’s absolutely vital (pun intended) to visualize the path all the way through the animal with the objective of putting your broadhead somewhere through the 10 ring as it passes the midline of the animal. Not on the surface, but in the plane of the spine. I also like to visualize the exit point, because I had a heart-shot buck run quite some distance with a BH lodged against the off humerus; no exit, 100% internal bleed-out, and if I hadn’t been able to watch him the whole way and see him fall, I probably wouldn’t have found him any time soon. because he ran on an arc that turned him 90 degrees. I think it was the injured Off foreleg that did that.

Anyway...

“ It's easy to sit here and study these photos and shot options .”

Sure is. That’s why it’s a very good use of time to be doing it! I got into the habit when I was just starting out with my hunter safety class… This would’ve been about the time of the bicentennial LOL. I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve never been able to look at a picture of a deer or an Elk WITHOUT picking a spot and thinking through the shot angle. It’s sort of the default mode for daydreaming when I see a picture of something I’d like to eat.

Things do happen and awful lot faster out in the field, but just as I’m always picking a spot on a picture, I do the same thing with every animal as it comes into my space, whether I’m hunting or not. That way, I have a better chance of figuring out where all the big bones are before that last instant, and lighting conditions, the coat, the condition of the animal, etc all come into play.

Point is, Habits. Basically, I study the hell out of everything that interests me, so I’m constantly processing that kind of material when given an opportunity.

Interesting story about your first bull because the first one I ever got close to did the same thing to me. Although I didn’t have to call him; he was just kind of headed my way to begin with. But I know what you mean about them towering over you… And I was standing up!

09-May-20
Wouldn't take a shot, to risky for me.

09-May-20
Funny just like I said in second post, just right of the green dot!! As close as you are even if you hit the green dot shooting a coc broadhead with a 500 plus grain arrow out of a 60# plus bow you kill him everytime. Shawn

09-May-20
Elknut, either that's the biggest bull that ever lived, or you got stuck in the dryer too long and really shrunk..

;-)

09-May-20
Ha Ha, let's go with stuck in the dryer! (grin) I'm 5'7" 148# there. I don't recall the bull being any bigger than normal but he does look like a tank there!

ElkNut

10-May-20
WapitiBob’s star- but now with a wimpy set up.

16-May-20
Too many chances to hit bone if you are off a little and if you shoot the star and are too far right, you may miss everything. Hopefully, you are drawn so you can just wait until he takes a step or bolts and hit him with a mew to stop and then drill him.

• Sitka Gear