Z Barebow 17-Aug-20
Z Barebow 17-Aug-20
Grey Ghost 17-Aug-20
Jaquomo 17-Aug-20
WapitiBob 17-Aug-20
txhunter58 17-Aug-20
Jaquomo 17-Aug-20
10-May-20
I will be purchasing an ebike for me and my wife (soon). I am looking for recommendations for a 2 bike hauler that works with fat tire and 2” receiver hitch.

Priorities. Protect the bikes for long trips. (Camping/hunting) I am interested in quality. Not concerned about lifting them on to carrier. ( I should be in elk shape for the next 30 years or so!)

10-May-20

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
All of the fat tire bicycle racks look flimsy to me, so I'm buying a rack designed for 2 small motorcycles.

Matt

10-May-20
I started with a thru axle mount on my bed rail. I now have a Kuat 3 bike rack $$$$. I also have a single Yakima mounted on my bed rail $. All bike racks will flop around some unless you use a direct mount for the front thru axle and those will put a lot of pressure on that front fork assy, or, toss them in the bed and put the front tire over the tailgate and a Dakine pad. After having used all of the above on some washboard and rutted roads I think you want the rack to flop around a bit, with the bikes tight to the rack.

10-May-20
Don’t go cheap, it holds true in many aspects of life and if I have a $2k plus ebike I’m buying quality.

I had a Yakima holdup for my plus bike, worked great. For an ebike you may want to go heavier.

10-May-20
I had the kuat. It flopped around way to much on washboard and rutted roads. I had to strap them down in the back of the truck like motorcycles and order a custom canopy to fit over them. Now i can fly around as usual chasing bugles.

10-May-20
I got the Overdrive in 4 bike from Amazon, you can get the 2 bike for less $ Overdrive Sport 4-Bike Hitch Mounted Rack - Smart Tilting, Platform Style Standard, Fat Tire Electric Bikes. I'm satisfied with it.

10-May-20
I have the Saris freedom 2 bike, I have been happy with it. Rode to Kansas from WI and 2 years back and forth to Buffalo County without a hiccup. https://www.saris.com/product/freedom-2

10-May-20
I've been using the Capstone one for 2.5 years. Many miles on rough, washboardy roads with 2 bikes and no problems at all. It gets good reviews from ebikers who do a lot more traveling than I do.

10-May-20
I asked this same question back in November. I took Jaq’s advice and bought the Capstone. Very happy with it so far.

10-May-20

Newhunter1's Link
I have the Quietkat 750 and use the 1up trailer. https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-super-duty-single-bike-rack/

By far the best rack for the weight of my kat...and it has a locking system that is pretty sturdy.

11-May-20

wilbur's Link
Yup the 1 UP bike rack is the way to go.

Solid rack that has a secure simple locking system to your existing trailer hitch.

11-May-20
The problem with the 1 UP is the second bike add-on is only rated for 50 pounds. My Mule weighs 68 pounds. I do like the option of being able to remove the second bike rack, if it's not needed, though.

Matt

12-May-20
Grey Ghost...I looked on the add on for the heavy duty...and here is the description where it states 50-75lbs. Description

Our easy-to-install Add-On racks give you the versatility to transport multiple bikes on a single rack. So as your family, bike collection, or taste for adventure grows, you can depend on your 1UP USA rack to grow right along with it.

– Mounts to any 1UP USA Rack – Add-On weight 18.5 lb. – Total carrying capacity of up 50–75 lb. per tray spot – Fits 16”–29” wheels, up to 3.1” wide (see spacer kit for tires wider than 3.1”)* – Accommodates up to 54” wheelbase – Fastens to existing rack or Add-On with two security bolts – Rack arms close to secure tires without touching the frame – Pitched upward at a 15-degree angle to increase ground clearance with each Add-On – Quick and easy install or removal – Shipped in reusable box for easy storage (30” x 14” x 8”); ship weight 23 lb. – All Add-On parts anodized, except a powder-coat finish on the tray

12-May-20
Newhunter, with the battery installed and my emergency roadside pack, I'm sure my Mule comes in over 75 pounds. I just don't like pushing the capacity limits of anything that closely, especially with a $4500 bike.

I also think a more simple design with fewer moving parts would be my preference. I've had the fancy fold-down racks for my regular mountain bikes, and didn't care for it. I gave it away.

I think the motorcycle type rack that I posted earlier is the route I'm going. It may be overkill, but it will give me peace of mind.

Matt

12-May-20
Peace of mind is best. You're right...I wouldn't trust my 4500.00 bike on an object that I didn't feel comfortable with. I looked at the motorcycle rack and actually wish I bought that instead.

14-Aug-20
GG,

I was wondering if you had a chance to test out your new rack.

I have a friend who has had an issue with hauling ebikes (mules) on his current rack. Broken bolts. Haven’t lost a bike but has had to do some roadside repairs. Those wash bird roads out west are tough. I though the type of rack you had would be good. He is a little concerned on how to control the side to side movement and if the ebikes is for some reason too light for that type of rack. I was hoping you might have some real world experience now to see how it is working out.

Thank you

Eric

14-Aug-20
Eric,

The small motorcycle rack works perfectly for our 2 Mules. It's solid and there's very little movement. It is a bit heavy, however, but I can still install it by myself. I'd highly recommend one to your friend.

Matt

14-Aug-20
GG

Thank you so much for the reply. May I ask the exact brand and model you bought?

Thank you

Eric

14-Aug-20
I never travel with the batteries on ours when on the rack. Too easy to pop them off and put them in the truck.

14-Aug-20
GG,

I was wondering if you had a chance to test out your new rack.

I have a friend who has had an issue with hauling ebikes (mules) on his current rack. Broken bolts. Haven’t lost a bike but has had to do some roadside repairs. Those wash bird roads out west are tough. I though the type of rack you had would be good. He is a little concerned on how to control the side to side movement and if the ebikes is for some reason too light for that type of rack. I was hoping you might have some real world experience now to see how it is working out.

Thank you

Eric

14-Aug-20

nehunter's embedded Photo
For about a hundred dollars. I've seen the others at shops but don't compare to this all aluminum carrier. I can unload in 1 minute, reload the bike in 2 minutes all by myself. So Simple.

14-Aug-20

nehunter's Link
Lots of places sell them.

14-Aug-20

Grey Ghost's Link
Eric,

I bought the Black Widow Double carrier. See link.

Matt

14-Aug-20
Awesome, thank you both. They look great

14-Aug-20
Also , any tips or tricks to securing?

Thanks

Eric

14-Aug-20
A couple of ratchet straps, and perhaps a few rags, so you don't scratch the paint under the straps.

Matt

14-Aug-20
Ok that is what I figured . Thank you

14-Aug-20
Jaq: am I looking at the right carrier? Specs on the Capstone 2 bike carrier say 35 lb per bike load limit?

14-Aug-20
I like that they include a loading ramp on the black widow

14-Aug-20
My buddy and I have Quietkats. I purchased the Rambo double bike rack from ebike John. I had initially planned to buy one like Grey Ghost posted for motorcycles, but all the places I recently looked they are back ordered.

16-Aug-20
Was looking at that one from ebike John too for the same reason. Anyone have one? Reviews?

Just looking at the variety mentioned, seems like ones that have a rigid arm over the bike would be easier And possibly more stable than multiple tie downs?

16-Aug-20
I put the one together I got from ebike John. I hooked it up to my truck and loaded my bike up to check it out. Pretty easy to put together and use. I will probably put an extra strap on somewhere for piece of mind.

16-Aug-20
Txhunter, I don't remember the exact specs. I read a bunch of reviews of people who carried two ebikes all over the country with no problems. I never travel with the batteries on ours so the weight of each bike is probably around 40-45 lbs. I've had mine for 2.5 years, have carried one or two bikes hundreds of miles over bumpy, washboard mountain roads, with no issues. Its solidly constructed.

17-Aug-20
Battery weighs around 20 pounds?

17-Aug-20
Lou.

Do you cover the battery contacts when you remove battery? I am thinking with dust/mud having the battery off might cause more issues vs leaving it on.

17-Aug-20

17-Aug-20
I leave the batteries on ours when hauling, for the reasons you mentioned, Z. But then, I don't have to worry about weight with the motorcycle carrier I have. I think it's rated for 600 pounds.

Matt

17-Aug-20
I put a piece of duct tape over the opening if I'm driving on dusty roads. I also cover the controller with a ziplock baggie if there's any moisture. A buddy and his wife had both their controllers short out when driving through a big rainstorm.

TX, my Rambo R750 weighs 57 lbs with the battery. I estimate the battery at 10 lbs have never weighed it. Some other models other guys have weigh more than that.

17-Aug-20
Dielectric grease on the contacts if it’s gonna be wet.

17-Aug-20
My Rambo 750R Pursuit is supposed to weigh 63 lbs before ad ons.

Fed X says mine will be delivered tomorrow

17-Aug-20
Mine is the original R750. Yours may very well weigh more.

• Sitka Gear