c3 05-Jun-21
txhunter58 05-Jun-21
Bowbaker 05-Jun-21
txhunter58 06-Jun-21
Knife2sharp 06-Jun-21
txhunter58 07-Jun-21
Knife2sharp 07-Jun-21
10-May-20
I will be purchasing an ebike for me and my wife (soon). I am looking for recommendations for a 2 bike hauler that works with fat tire and 2” receiver hitch.

Priorities. Protect the bikes for long trips. (Camping/hunting) I am interested in quality. Not concerned about lifting them on to carrier. ( I should be in elk shape for the next 30 years or so!)

10-May-20

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
All of the fat tire bicycle racks look flimsy to me, so I'm buying a rack designed for 2 small motorcycles.

Matt

10-May-20
I started with a thru axle mount on my bed rail. I now have a Kuat 3 bike rack $$$$. I also have a single Yakima mounted on my bed rail $. All bike racks will flop around some unless you use a direct mount for the front thru axle and those will put a lot of pressure on that front fork assy, or, toss them in the bed and put the front tire over the tailgate and a Dakine pad. After having used all of the above on some washboard and rutted roads I think you want the rack to flop around a bit, with the bikes tight to the rack.

10-May-20
Don’t go cheap, it holds true in many aspects of life and if I have a $2k plus ebike I’m buying quality.

I had a Yakima holdup for my plus bike, worked great. For an ebike you may want to go heavier.

10-May-20
I had the kuat. It flopped around way to much on washboard and rutted roads. I had to strap them down in the back of the truck like motorcycles and order a custom canopy to fit over them. Now i can fly around as usual chasing bugles.

10-May-20
I got the Overdrive in 4 bike from Amazon, you can get the 2 bike for less $ Overdrive Sport 4-Bike Hitch Mounted Rack - Smart Tilting, Platform Style Standard, Fat Tire Electric Bikes. I'm satisfied with it.

10-May-20
I have the Saris freedom 2 bike, I have been happy with it. Rode to Kansas from WI and 2 years back and forth to Buffalo County without a hiccup. https://www.saris.com/product/freedom-2

10-May-20
I've been using the Capstone one for 2.5 years. Many miles on rough, washboardy roads with 2 bikes and no problems at all. It gets good reviews from ebikers who do a lot more traveling than I do.

10-May-20
I asked this same question back in November. I took Jaq’s advice and bought the Capstone. Very happy with it so far.

10-May-20

Newhunter1's Link
I have the Quietkat 750 and use the 1up trailer. https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-super-duty-single-bike-rack/

By far the best rack for the weight of my kat...and it has a locking system that is pretty sturdy.

11-May-20

wilbur's Link
Yup the 1 UP bike rack is the way to go.

Solid rack that has a secure simple locking system to your existing trailer hitch.

11-May-20
The problem with the 1 UP is the second bike add-on is only rated for 50 pounds. My Mule weighs 68 pounds. I do like the option of being able to remove the second bike rack, if it's not needed, though.

Matt

12-May-20
Grey Ghost...I looked on the add on for the heavy duty...and here is the description where it states 50-75lbs. Description

Our easy-to-install Add-On racks give you the versatility to transport multiple bikes on a single rack. So as your family, bike collection, or taste for adventure grows, you can depend on your 1UP USA rack to grow right along with it.

– Mounts to any 1UP USA Rack – Add-On weight 18.5 lb. – Total carrying capacity of up 50–75 lb. per tray spot – Fits 16”–29” wheels, up to 3.1” wide (see spacer kit for tires wider than 3.1”)* – Accommodates up to 54” wheelbase – Fastens to existing rack or Add-On with two security bolts – Rack arms close to secure tires without touching the frame – Pitched upward at a 15-degree angle to increase ground clearance with each Add-On – Quick and easy install or removal – Shipped in reusable box for easy storage (30” x 14” x 8”); ship weight 23 lb. – All Add-On parts anodized, except a powder-coat finish on the tray

12-May-20
Newhunter, with the battery installed and my emergency roadside pack, I'm sure my Mule comes in over 75 pounds. I just don't like pushing the capacity limits of anything that closely, especially with a $4500 bike.

I also think a more simple design with fewer moving parts would be my preference. I've had the fancy fold-down racks for my regular mountain bikes, and didn't care for it. I gave it away.

I think the motorcycle type rack that I posted earlier is the route I'm going. It may be overkill, but it will give me peace of mind.

Matt

12-May-20
Peace of mind is best. You're right...I wouldn't trust my 4500.00 bike on an object that I didn't feel comfortable with. I looked at the motorcycle rack and actually wish I bought that instead.

14-Aug-20
GG,

I was wondering if you had a chance to test out your new rack.

I have a friend who has had an issue with hauling ebikes (mules) on his current rack. Broken bolts. Haven’t lost a bike but has had to do some roadside repairs. Those wash bird roads out west are tough. I though the type of rack you had would be good. He is a little concerned on how to control the side to side movement and if the ebikes is for some reason too light for that type of rack. I was hoping you might have some real world experience now to see how it is working out.

Thank you

Eric

14-Aug-20
Eric,

The small motorcycle rack works perfectly for our 2 Mules. It's solid and there's very little movement. It is a bit heavy, however, but I can still install it by myself. I'd highly recommend one to your friend.

Matt

14-Aug-20
GG

Thank you so much for the reply. May I ask the exact brand and model you bought?

Thank you

Eric

14-Aug-20
I never travel with the batteries on ours when on the rack. Too easy to pop them off and put them in the truck.

14-Aug-20
GG,

I was wondering if you had a chance to test out your new rack.

I have a friend who has had an issue with hauling ebikes (mules) on his current rack. Broken bolts. Haven’t lost a bike but has had to do some roadside repairs. Those wash bird roads out west are tough. I though the type of rack you had would be good. He is a little concerned on how to control the side to side movement and if the ebikes is for some reason too light for that type of rack. I was hoping you might have some real world experience now to see how it is working out.

Thank you

Eric

14-Aug-20

nehunter's embedded Photo
For about a hundred dollars. I've seen the others at shops but don't compare to this all aluminum carrier. I can unload in 1 minute, reload the bike in 2 minutes all by myself. So Simple.

14-Aug-20

nehunter's Link
Lots of places sell them.

14-Aug-20

Grey Ghost's Link
Eric,

I bought the Black Widow Double carrier. See link.

Matt

14-Aug-20
Awesome, thank you both. They look great

14-Aug-20
Also , any tips or tricks to securing?

Thanks

Eric

14-Aug-20
A couple of ratchet straps, and perhaps a few rags, so you don't scratch the paint under the straps.

Matt

14-Aug-20
Ok that is what I figured . Thank you

14-Aug-20
Jaq: am I looking at the right carrier? Specs on the Capstone 2 bike carrier say 35 lb per bike load limit?

14-Aug-20
I like that they include a loading ramp on the black widow

14-Aug-20
My buddy and I have Quietkats. I purchased the Rambo double bike rack from ebike John. I had initially planned to buy one like Grey Ghost posted for motorcycles, but all the places I recently looked they are back ordered.

16-Aug-20
Was looking at that one from ebike John too for the same reason. Anyone have one? Reviews?

Just looking at the variety mentioned, seems like ones that have a rigid arm over the bike would be easier And possibly more stable than multiple tie downs?

16-Aug-20
I put the one together I got from ebike John. I hooked it up to my truck and loaded my bike up to check it out. Pretty easy to put together and use. I will probably put an extra strap on somewhere for piece of mind.

16-Aug-20
Txhunter, I don't remember the exact specs. I read a bunch of reviews of people who carried two ebikes all over the country with no problems. I never travel with the batteries on ours so the weight of each bike is probably around 40-45 lbs. I've had mine for 2.5 years, have carried one or two bikes hundreds of miles over bumpy, washboard mountain roads, with no issues. Its solidly constructed.

17-Aug-20
Battery weighs around 20 pounds?

17-Aug-20
Lou.

Do you cover the battery contacts when you remove battery? I am thinking with dust/mud having the battery off might cause more issues vs leaving it on.

17-Aug-20

17-Aug-20
I leave the batteries on ours when hauling, for the reasons you mentioned, Z. But then, I don't have to worry about weight with the motorcycle carrier I have. I think it's rated for 600 pounds.

Matt

17-Aug-20
I put a piece of duct tape over the opening if I'm driving on dusty roads. I also cover the controller with a ziplock baggie if there's any moisture. A buddy and his wife had both their controllers short out when driving through a big rainstorm.

TX, my Rambo R750 weighs 57 lbs with the battery. I estimate the battery at 10 lbs have never weighed it. Some other models other guys have weigh more than that.

17-Aug-20
Dielectric grease on the contacts if it’s gonna be wet.

17-Aug-20
My Rambo 750R Pursuit is supposed to weigh 63 lbs before ad ons.

Fed X says mine will be delivered tomorrow

17-Aug-20
Mine is the original R750. Yours may very well weigh more.

28-Jan-21

Bennifgot2's Link
Size of trailer is main in these kind of situations. The size of the trailer is the main factor while moving the motorcycle. There would be different sized trailer needed for the various number of vehicles to be transported. The cost would also be varied according to the service provided. If you want to move the motorcycle in the lowest budget possible then you would have to search for the options. https://citizenshipper.com/motorcycle-transportation

28-Jan-21
Thanks gentleman.. come here to pass time and browse these threads and it cost me another $150++. Should make transporting a bit easier and convenient...

28-Jan-21
Thanks for the spam Benni! He speaka da English not so good

28-Jan-21

02-Feb-21

Sharpe's embedded Photo
Sharpe's embedded Photo

Sharpe's Link
I've never liked the idea of having a bike hanging off the rear of my vehicle just waiting for someone to bump into me or swipe a part. Roof racks are a slightly better option although I've heard too many stories of people driving under something too low.

Still, I'm a huge fan of Kuat and 1up, they are both in the "you won't regret it" category. But I prefer Kuat for the hitch tightening mechanism, ease of tilting, and integrated cable locks. Also if you're worrying about the weight, just remove the battery.

14-May-21

Shiras42's embedded Photo
Shiras42's embedded Photo
I took a Viking Solutions hitch hauler/game cart and lengthened it about 6" so my bike fits snugly into it and also converted so it will tow behind the bike. Some other slight modifications were made to quiet the trailer down, but I am kind of excited to see how it works as a multipurpose bike rack, carrier and trailer.

03-Jun-21

txhunter58's embedded Photo
txhunter58's embedded Photo
https://www.discountramps.com/double-motorcycle-carrier/p/AMC-600-2/

I went with this one. Got it on sale for $350. Finally got the chance to try it out and it seems to work great only have 1 bike now but just ordered one for the Wife

My bike is a Rambo Pursuit 750 mid- drive. I have been pleased with it and John from ebike generation has been there for any additional info after the sale. It does well in the mountains. But for those who think it is effortless to use one, think again. You always get a good workout on an ebike. Whether it is getting it over, around, or under deadfalls, or just going up steep hills, you will get a lot of exercise riding one. But you get where you are going faster, especially on uphill treks. And much less winded.

Those peaks in the background are in Lizard head wilderness in SW CO

Also FYI, this hauler has an anti sway part that you slide up to where it meets the receiver. Bolts tighten on both hauler and receiver. Makes a big difference. Virtually no bouncing of the hitch. I like that.

04-Jun-21
Anyone have experience with the Harbor Freight motorcycle carrier. Looks like it might work with ebikes

04-Jun-21

c3's Link
The best multiple bike rack you can get is an Alta Racks 6 pack.

They are my next door neighbor at my shop. The other side of me are the guys that do all the welding. Made in America and available to ship today.

Just another option if you want a beefy full featured rack.

Cheers, Pete

04-Jun-21
Those don’t look like ebikes loaded on the website? And not sure they look strong enough to support multiple bikes weighing 65+ lbs? And having to lift an ebike up on that rack would be tough for us older guys, and maybe a few young guys :-). I could be wrong, but the rack doesn’t look like that fits the bill for ebikes.

04-Jun-21

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
Like i said the definition of beefy when it comes to bike racks. The only thing that compares are the steel single motorcycle carriers. Those can never be multi bicycle setups though.

Nothing like real and made right here to go against anything from china inc

Cheers, Pete

04-Jun-21
This is a post about ebikes, not regular bikes

You still have’t answered my question. Are they beefy enough for ebikes at 65+ pounds each? And who is going to lift a 65 lb ebike up on that carrier?

And at $350 (1/3 the price of yours) and beefy enough to carry 2 motorcycles (way more weight than I will ever put on them), I think I will stick with what I have

I also cut a sheet of plywood that fit over the 2 rails and wired it down to the carrier. So I have a double duty carrier. Bikes or cargo.

04-Jun-21

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Huntcell 's embedded Photo
From a previous hitch hauler thread i went with da Jaquomo recommendation, Capstone . Been working great, bike is near 70 pounds with battery,

Easy install to car easy load and unload bike to carrier. Thanks Jaquomo

Since I only have one E-bile I removed the second bike hardware.

04-Jun-21
That looks like a great carrier as well. Lots of good ways to get it done.

I had to also had to buy 4 tie down straps for each bike. Looks like that isn’t needed with your carrier.

04-Jun-21

05-Jun-21
Bowbaker....I have the harbor freight motorcycle carrier and it works perfectly for my ebike. Lightweight and secure plus comes with the hitch bracket to take out all of the play. Can't image paying some of the above prices but to each their own :)!

As far as lifting a heavy bike...I roll mine up parallel, press the rear break and pop the front on the carrier then pick up the back half easy peasy.

05-Jun-21
The Alta Six will carry 6 e-bikes. Just need the right baskets for your tire size.

Cheers, Pete

05-Jun-21
My carrier comes with a ramp. With practice it’s easy to get it up the ramp and on the carrier with light touches of the throttle.

Dave, that is a good question. I believe a normal bicycle would work fine as well, but I’m not sure. The tires might slide forward or rear.,

There is no way I could lift my bike up on C3 carriers. Nor would I pay the price

05-Jun-21
Thanks Whitby. I was hoping someone would have a opinion.

06-Jun-21
This doesn’t pertain to the topic of carriers. But I discovered something about ebikes last week. I am a relatively new user. When walking along beside the bike, you have to be careful about hitting the pedals either with your leg or a stick. Anything that accidentally advances the pedal will make the bikes motor kick on and the bike will jump forward and possibly out of your hands. Just FYI.

06-Jun-21

Knife2sharp's embedded Photo
Knife2sharp's embedded Photo
Fat tire Ebike racks are marked up, way beyond what they should be. Best I found is the Maxxhaul 50027 ($90) with a set of Swagman fat tire wheel adapters ($40-$50). The Maxxhaul is 2" and comes with a anti-sway plate. I just have one bike, I apply rear brake, pull back on the bike to set front end in it, then lift backend. I put the vertical arm assembly in and secure with hitch pin. I have the V-bar set so when the assembly is inserted, it fits snug so there's no need for extra straps or tiedowns. I also put a piece of foam insulation, an elbow piece, over the V that goes over the top bar.

The attached pic was before the foam. Most of the racks use the same size square tubing, so buying fat tire racks from another company isn't an issue. I like the Maxxhaul because the two crossbars and vertical bar secure with hitch pins instead of bolts, so it quickly breaks down for storage. It also has the pivot so you can lean it back to open a trunk or tailgate, but I've never tried it with a heavy Ebike, and probably won't. The rack will fit two bikes, just need two sets of Swagman holders. The two V assemblies are different lengths, so they can be the same height when stacked on the vertical bar.

Don't let the weight restriction fool you, I believe the rack says 90# total, but it's steel square tubing and the same size as the high prices Ebike racks. I'm 250# and could stand on either side of the rack and I wouldn't bend any of these tubes.

07-Jun-21
Sweet set up. And can’t beat the price. Says 80 lb limit which, as you said, sounds very conservative. I think it is great for 1 bike. It’s also half the weight of my carrier. I think it might be pushing it to have 2 ebikes on there on the rough roads I travel. But for one, sounds like you can’t beat it.

07-Jun-21
I would agree, if the rack wasn't made for just a 2" receiver, like some are. I can see this carrying 2 fat Ebikes with no issues. The only issue is the V assembly is a bit close to the post, so there could be a clearance issue, depending on the model of Ebikes being used. Mine is situated just past the highest point of the mid-drive motors, and I could cut off the bolt that extends past the hand tightening knob, but it's not in the way. There's holes 2" apart for the bracket, so no need for such a long rod.

• Sitka Gear