Rackmastr 13-May-20
wytex 13-May-20
swede 15-May-20
swede 15-May-20
x-man 15-May-20
crazyhawksfan 15-May-20
swede 16-May-20
11-May-20
What would everyone recommend as the best bugle call overall especially for a beginner? Thank You.

11-May-20
You have 4 months. Buy a tube and start trying new reeds. Lots of YouTube videos. Start practicing now.

11-May-20
For a beginner, Power Bugle.

11-May-20
Ucsdryder that is the plan just didn't know if anyone had suggestions on what to start with or recommendations as there are plenty to choose from.

11-May-20

JohnMC's Link
Foxpros are the easiest ;)

The primos with the blue reed caps sound decent and are easy.

11-May-20
Everyone has their own personal preference, and I’m no different. Rocky Mountain Game Calls, and the Elk101.All-Star, are my go-to calls. Whatever you decide on, I highly recommend a single reed diaphragm to start with, since they’re much easier to use. And yes, I always recommend a diaphragm over any other call. Being able to use a call hands-free could mean the difference between getting a shot or not.

11-May-20
Berry Thunder Bugle Mini. Wins for ease of use, sound quality, and ease in packing (folds up to very small). Those huge baseball bats sound great, but they are a PIA to hunt with.

I prefer the green tab insert.

11-May-20
The tube doesn’t matter. I have a bully bugle. It’s fine. A smaller wouldn’t hurt my feelings. I made the switch from Rocky Mountain to Phelps game calls. The Phelps calls are much stronger and last forever.

11-May-20
Berry Thunder is extremely easy to learn to make quality sounds. I have the regular, not mini.

11-May-20
Learn to use a diaphragm. Versatile. Tube is secondary.

I would start with a light or medium latex single layer. These are good starter reeds. Once you learn the mechanics, you can expand try other reed types.

11-May-20
X3 on the Berry Thunder bugle and to quote BigDan “even a monkey can blow it “Good luck Lewis

11-May-20
Original Glenn Berry Thunder Bugle. Easy to use, and a lot louder than most mouth reed/bugle tubes.

Louder bugle for locating bugling bulls = more bulls responding to your bugle.

11-May-20
To me the Berry Thunder Bugle and the Abe and Son Bugle sound the most realistic as far as sounding like a real bull. As mentioned above, you can do a lot with a diaphragm and a tube of you learn to use them properly.

11-May-20
If your serious, I would buy some different reeds and a bugle tube and learn to use them. You have time before Sept. I personally like the phelps reeds. Start with the Grey.

11-May-20
The Michael Wydel “BoneHawk” Edition

combo Gobbler, deer grunter, bugle tube

In fluorescent yellow

11-May-20
My recommendation is learn how to use mouth reeds. Any tube will work after that

11-May-20
My Abe & Sons grunt tube and a yellow diaphram call...been my noise weapon of choice for over 30 years

11-May-20
Berry is very easy to use and learn.

11-May-20
I would go with the original Berry Thunder bugle. Easy to use and you get a quality sound. There are a lot of easy to use cow calls. I prefer the Larry D. Jones cow call if I go with a bite and blow type.

11-May-20
I'd use the Berry Thunder Bugle. Other hunters will know that you aren't an elk, but the elk won't know. Ha!

12-May-20
Rocky Mountain Bully Bull tube with their brown diaphram or the grey diaphragm from Phelps works great for ne.

12-May-20
I appreciate everyone taking the time on this. Gives me a good place to start. Thank You.

12-May-20
Start with a single reed diaphragm as those are easiest. Getting one that fits your mouth shape can be tricky. I like The Champ by Rocky Mountain big game calls. Their tubes are the best in my opinion but a wiffle ball bat will work, I think Elk nut sells a bat with cloth on it.

12-May-20
If you can brush your teeth without a terrible gag reflex you can learn to use a mouth reed, this is your best route. For reeds you not only want a single reed/diaphragm you also need it to be one with lighter tension for beginner use. Plus you can make any sound a bull or cow makes with one reed, this is a great advantage in many cases!

Phelps Game Calls has the Black & Gray Amp reeds with lighter tension, they also they have very good bugle tubes to consider. For starters I'd go that route.

P.S. we do not carry bugles or mouth reeds & haven't for a couple years now but thanks. I use the Phelps Game calls these days & have had great success with them.

ElkNut

12-May-20

cnelk's Link
If you truly do not want to use a mouth diaphram, the E.L.K. Power Bugle is the way to go. Be sure to get extra bands for the mouth piece - see link

12-May-20
Another vote for Berry Thunder bugle. That’s what I Started on 10 years ago. I’ve since learned to use mouth reeds which I wish I did right off the bat instead of waiting. I’ve tried several brands of reeds and I’ve settled on Phelps reeds. I like the dark blue.

13-May-20
I love my power bugle, and if you have a diaphragm, you can pull the mouth piece and use it as a tube! As CNELK said, GET EXTRA BANDS. Any wet day you will go through them, they are pretty fragile.

13-May-20
How does the "Select a Bull" from Rocky Mountain Hunting calls compare to the Berry Thunder Bugle?

13-May-20
Another vote for Power Bugle, been using one since they came out and it sounds great. Get an assortment of bands, I like the tan ones best, gray are higher pitched.

15-May-20
"I use the Phelps Game calls these days & have had great success with them." Elknut1

I don't call a lot, so I have found the Berry Thunder Bugle to be easy and it sounds good. It is not as versatile as a mouth reed, but it is still very good. I can add a diaphragm for some variety as desired. I have found the Power bugle to be good to, but never liked the Abe & Son bugle. Now I am curious about the Phelps calls. I am wondering why Paul prefers them?

15-May-20
"I use the Phelps Game calls these days & have had great success with them." Elknut1

I don't call a lot, so I have found the Berry Thunder Bugle to be easy and it sounds good. It is not as versatile as a mouth reed, but it is still very good. I can add a diaphragm for some variety as desired. I have found the Power bugle to be good to, but never liked the Abe & Son bugle. Now I am curious about the Phelps calls. I am wondering why Paul prefers them?

15-May-20
Pat might sell his toilet plunger bugle call cheap.

15-May-20
Learn to use a diaphragm for sure! Any other tube with an internal reed is just never going to sound as realistic.. I use rocky mountain reeds and a Phelps tube.

16-May-20
It was the Spring of 1991 when I got my first elk diaphragm call and grunt tube. I stopped by Larry D Jones place of business in Springfield Oregon and was fortunate to get a little coaching before I left for home over 100 miles away. On the way home I practiced all I could and by the time I arrived I could make a decent sound with the noise maker. I was feeling pretty good about my newly developed skill when I got in the house and unpacked after a trip to Portland. I went into the dining room where my wife was already getting dinner ready. I told her about the elk call and asked her to listed to it. I let out this loud shrill bugle with a little chuckle at the end. It sounded something like I thought it should. Instantly when the call started the house cat ran across the living room and dove behind the sofa. When I finished the call my wife said "take that thing outside and do not blow it in here again." Larry D. Jones said he had spent over 1,000 hours practicing to get proficient with his calling. My suggestion is; unless you have a better place to practice than I had, and you have a lot of time; buy a Berry Thunder Bugle.

• Sitka Gear