pahoyt 09-Jun-20
Deerplotter 09-Jun-20
wkochevar 09-Jun-20
TEmbry 10-Jun-20
Kevin Dill 10-Jun-20
Lost Arra 10-Jun-20
Whip 10-Jun-20
13-May-20
Is anyone planning to do their 14 days upon arrival into Alaska in order to get their fall sheep or other hunts in? I have muskox and sheep and am planning to do my time if necessary. Just curious how many others have made arrangements for that scenario as well.

13-May-20
How does Alaska define "Quarantine"? Does it include time alone in the mountains? Just curious if there is a loophole to be exploited somehow.

13-May-20
You're assuming the mandate will still be in place in the fall? We are wondering about our fishing trip the end of June.

13-May-20
Just read some states may offer a “test on arrival” system to avoid the 14 day quarantine.

13-May-20
AK F&G are scheduled to have a meeting regarding the fall non-resident hunting. The meeting is supposed to take place the first week of June.

13-May-20
The current "mandate" expires 19 May. If not extended, there will be no quarantine. That said, I just heard that certain tribal leaders throughout the state are closing off their lands for the rest of the year to non-essential personnel. I know that Papa Bear has been affected. The meeting is June will be based off of the information available at the time, hopefully some changes happen on the 19th and nothing is extended.

13-May-20
The quarantine is technically on the "honor system" . It will be up to you, and your outfitter on how to proceed. If you have a 14 day hunt and plan to be only with the outfitter then it may work.

Many unknowns, I do think it will be very hard to access any village (town off the road/ferry system) So hopefully your outfit has their own airplane or can charter in from somewhere.

13-May-20
I would imagine that going to a hunting spot in the wilderness would be a perfect quarantine. I mean, people are coming into all states, how many are really avoiding others for 14 days? What would be the point in going to another state if you truly quarantine for 14 days? They are all visiting someone, or staying in hotels, or campgrounds, going out to get food etc.

13-May-20
Word on the street is that it's going bye bye May 20th. We had zero new cases again today and the entire state has been having 0 to 2 cases a day for the past week and have had 1 death in the past couple weeks.

But Nick is right, certain towns are not letting people in and it's very haphazard and disjointed in it's implementation and enforcement because it's local government. Many villages are only allowing residents of said village in and they have to quarantine once they get there. Some villages had 2 men posted at the airstrip with rifles when this started.

Kotzebue is testing everyone at the airport in the hangar.

It's different everywhere, but if you're flying into a major airport and don't have a lot of small puddle jumps, you'll probably be ok. You need to talk to someone in every town you're headed to and I'd wait till May 20th to make those calls because things are changing fast and things are going to be different as of that date.

13-May-20
Following closely..sheep in August (fingers crossed)

13-May-20
My sons girlfriend just flew into Juneau. Tested and was negative so they released her from the quarantine

13-May-20
I am also following this closely, for a planned moose hunt in September. My wife and girls usually join our church mission teams that go to a handful of native villages each summer plus host a summer camp for them near Fairbanks; those villages all cancelled the mission visits for and don’t want to send their teens to the summer camp.

14-May-20
I know there is a lot of things going on in the world right now that are more important than hunting. But, I'm supposed to leave for Alaska on August 11th and have been planning this trip since 2018. It is definitely stressful.

14-May-20
Quietly watching. No opinion on what will happen. Probably the real wild card in all of this has two sides: One is the actual virus of course, which is 'novel' and still full of unknowns as to its trajectory in coming months. Second is the major hammering of the economy....who shuts down, who is running, airlines in trouble, pilots and other people who decide to park things and avoid risk. Don't even ask me to speculate on the socio-political things which can happen. I'm just glad I don't have many thousands of dollars parked in an outfitter's bank account right now.

14-May-20
I have a hard time understanding why I could not just quarantine at home before I go and then have that counted? I could provide some sort of documentation that I did that. Why shouldn't that count?

TMBB

TMBB

14-May-20
Here's an email quote that I received from my Outfitter regarding the upcoming Caribou hunt. We're supposed to fly out of Tok the middle of August.

13 May 2020 "At the moment the only hiccup in the plan is a 14 day self isolate when you travel to Alaska. That is supposed to lift next week. If Alaska does not lift the restriction next week, I encourage you to write Alaska Gov. Dunleavy and voice your request to lift the 14 day rule."

14-May-20
"I have a hard time understanding why I could not just quarantine at home before I go and then have that counted? I could provide some sort of documentation that I did that. Why shouldn't that count?"

The 14 day quarantine is only partly about proving you aren't sick. Just as big is that it discourages people from traveling for pleasure or other unnecessary reasons. And it does that very well.

14-May-20
The 14 day (self) quarantine is a joke! They have a big electronic sign at the PA/NY border on I-84.................

It says: NYC TRAVELERS SELF-QUARANTINE 14 DAYS

But absolutely NOBODY is checking...............

14-May-20
"I have a hard time understanding why I could not just quarantine at home before I go and then have that counted? I could provide some sort of documentation that I did that. Why shouldn't that count?"

The problem is that people go through 3 airports and 3 airplanes to get to much of AK from much of the lower 48.

14-May-20
Hard to keep tabs on quarantine with vehicle traffic but AK might be different. We have the same mandatory quarantine here in Hawaii and you need to have a place to stay, no camping. The police or national guard check daily and a handful of tourists have been put in jail for breaking it. I don’t see it lasting as stopping tourism and economy is going to affect more people than virus will if we stay closed much longer

14-May-20
I sure hope you are right 808. We are booked for maui and lanai in August. I feel relatively confident about maui but with how small lanai is I'm not sure how that will go. If the quarantine is over we are going! Have some hunting planned but even if that is canceled just want a vacation like the good old days.

14-May-20
They test you at the airport in various AK towns? And give you immediate results? We have that technology available now? This is news to me. I want a truckload of those tests!

15-May-20
Nate, the tests take 30 minutes. We're testing everyone who comes in to town so long as they consent - some conspiracy-type folks wont and it's a free country so we can't force them, but there's no COVID here and we're trying to keep it that way.

15-May-20
Heard on the news with more and more testing being available across the US, it should ease the quarantine rules. (Hopefully sooner than later! ;-) I would gladly take the test if it meant I could skip the quarantine.

15-May-20
Moose mania I’m sure Lanai will open if Maui is. I’m headed to Lanai in Late July hopefully too. It is part of Maui county so will most likely follow there guidelines

15-May-20
Moose mania I’m sure Lanai will open if Maui is. I’m headed to Lanai in Late July hopefully too. It is part of Maui county so will most likely follow there guidelines

15-May-20
I work in a nursing home in NY we are tested twice a week. The issue is I can test negative on Tuesday and go back on Friday and test positive, that is why at my work we require 2 negative tests in a row before you can return to work if you have had the virus. I wish I did not work where I do as my state is opening up, I still have to be careful as we still have 31 residents still with the virus. I hope everyone gets to enjoy their hunts and fishing trips over the next few months. I am hoping I will be good to go by August, if I am lucky. Shawn

17-May-20
Well, the governor up there just extended the 14 day rule until June 2nd.

17-May-20
How is a 14 day quarantine actually enforced? It is truly a joke. What right does a law enforcement officer have to ask you for your “papers?” They don’t. And if they do you absolutely have the right to not speak. When they were welding doors of homes shut in China I was laughing and thinking that the commies deserved it. Now I look at the way the sheeple here are reacting and I am speechless. The virus is no doubt a serious deal for certain individuals, and a roll of the dice for others, but when did “we” decide that our freedoms took second fiddle?

18-May-20
From what I read, there isn't much enforcement. But it does discourage people from visiting, and apparently is working quite well.

I have two different trips planned to Alaska this summer, one in July and one in Aug. If this 14 day stuff is still in place, I won't be going. I am simply not going to risk spending all of that money to get up there and be met with potential hassles involving quarantine.

I really hope they decided to loosen that soon.

18-May-20
Nobody is going around checking people and enforcing a quarantine. Nevertheless it is an enforceable order if someone is caught being in violation of it. I know there are plenty of people thinking it’s useless without constant enforcement but that’s not true. There will always be scofflaws but a majority of people will obey the order which is there to help protect the health of people. Maybe your people at that.

I recall reading the mayors of Anchorage and Fairbanks specifically asked the governor to extend the order. That had to be unpopular with local and state business people plus the working population, but it was done in hopes of saving additional lives.

19-May-20

Rut Nut's Link
sounds like they are getting serious in Hawaii too!

19-May-20
To me it seems that states like Alaska and Hawaii are sitting ducks for Covid-19 deaths. They are both heavily dependent on tourism-related income, and both have indigenous populations which live in relative isolation from the world. Those indigenous people are often very patriarchal in their family cultures, and place (perhaps) more value on protecting their elders. These states’ economies are suffering enormously from the loss of tourism revenue, but they’ve obviously decided it would be more damaging (to the state) if the virus is able to achieve exponential growth.

I think all of us know that quarantines and shutdowns won’t extend forever. Reopening is going to happen. Money will be made. The cost of it will be additional deaths. It’s the trade off nobody really wants to admit will happen. A guy getting fined $4k for breaking quarantine seems excessive to me. On the other hand, if he recklessly exposed my daughter or wife to the virus I’d be great with double that, plus maybe gouging his right eye out.

20-May-20
Yeah, amazing how quickly social media can get you in trouble! Smart thing would have been to "fly under the radar!" ;-)

You make a good point Kevin! And I understand why certain communities would want to stay isolated. Especially when it is common for parents and grandparents to be living in the same household.

20-May-20
Outdoor activities are pretty safe, it's flying there that may not be. It also is a lot easier to enforce a quarantine if you fly somewhere and officials stop you at the airport. Just saying. Shawn

20-May-20
"I recall reading the mayors of Anchorage and Fairbanks specifically asked the governor to extend the order"

Kevin Dill: It was Anchorage and JUNEAU who wanted to keep the pressure on and petitioned to keep all the economic restrictions. They both have liberal Democrat mayors. Fairbanks has a nice conservative Republican... who supports the phased opening that Governor Dunleavy has proposed!

Pete

20-May-20
Thanks Pete.

20-May-20
Yea I'm supposed to fly into Anchorage Aug 6th for sheep season also, its a back pack hunt so I'll be pretty "quarantined" I don't see how they can enforce any sort of quarantine. How the hell do they know where everyone goes once they leave the air port? Who comes to check in on each and every person every day? Not to mention, I don't think anywhere in the USA you can force an individual to stay somewhere for 14 days against their will with out a trial and conviction for breaking some law. Now, they can "ask" you to do it but you can also just go about your life like a sane free thinking individual.

20-May-20
I fly in august 9th for a 10 day grizzly and caribou hunt in the TOK area.

20-May-20
I just want to find a home on the Kenai with a gravel bar behind it for the last two weeks of July so I can quarantine there before muskox and sheep seasons.

20-May-20

20-May-20
Hunting addict up until recently I thought the same thing. Hawaii has proved me wrong as they are sending people to check on all new arrivals and throwing them into jail. Show your paper folks! I get this virus is dangerous and all but this has gone too far.

21-May-20

Kevin Dill's Link
https://gov.alaska.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/COVID-19-Health-Mandate-010-Travel-Declaration.pdf

Offered informationally: The link will show you the mandatory form required by the state. It also clearly states the penalties for violation at the bottom. I believe the current order is set to expire 6-2.

21-May-20
It does state to get to your destination.. Is this ever defined?

21-May-20
Kevin Dill, Can AK actually force you to sign this document? It seems it falls in line with law enforcement asking you to do a breathalyzer if they suspect you of DUI...They can ask but cannot force you to do so. Not sure what repercussions that then brings, but it is your right to not participate. Just asking cuz I don't know the answer.

21-May-20
Wonder what they would do if you just put in GPS coordinates where it says: “Quarantine Address”. ;-)

21-May-20
@wkochevar: I'm not the legal expert, but I'd say it's pretty hard to escape completing that form and then going on into the state. Very likely a guy would get hung up at the airport or border and possibly turned away....but maybe not. Perhaps it would be like refusing to sign a speeding ticket...it doesn't negate the obligation to respond. When the state indicates a potential felony charge for falsification, it seems like they're not whistling Dixie. But I'm just an average guy with average logic.

21-May-20
Well...In the form it says to take into consideration travel from the air port? My travel would include driving to Tok AK. Getting to the Tok airport and catching a flight somewhere into the bush. So do I fill out that form and give it to the pilot when we land, and then start my self quarantine? Or do I start my 14 days after we hike and find base camp???

21-May-20
Quarantine address would be the middle of the Alaskan Range and I won't even be in state for 14 days (hopefully), if they want to send someone out to check on me I hope they are in sheep shape lol.

21-May-20
Also, they don't define self quarantine, what does that mean? Locked in a hotel room for 14 days? How do you get food and water? I would say being out in the middle of no where with one other person living off your back in the outdoors would certainly meet all the CDC guideline and is likely more "quarantined" than what anybody living in a city or town is doing. Just my two cents.....

21-May-20
I would bet the permitted travel to the quarantine location does not contemplate taking an additional plane flight in order to get there. Rationalize away.

21-May-20
Have you guys with booked trips already booked your airfare to AK? I have not since I cannot find any good info regarding refunds, etc if booked now as opposed to pre-covid refund exchange policies. Already have a bunch of cancelled airfares due to all of this. Hoping we hear something soon....

22-May-20
I'd say you might have a case for "I'm headed to my quarantine location in the mountains" if you went there (wherever camp is) directly from the airport. The problem becomes one when you transition to a house or hotel... spend a night somewhere... use other transportation... buy supplies... get on another plane...

I'm thinking all this discourse is for academics only, as the state looks to be ending the quarantine directive fairly soon. If we're lucky, there will be no big second wave of illness and subsequent restrictions on entry into Alaska. Only time is going to prove whether that happens or not. I'm buying my plane tickets today.

22-May-20
wkochevar, I did so with Alaska Air, and the booking states "fully refundable". They've already changed the itinerary once, I assume to consolidate flights because of low demand.

22-May-20
I just made mine thru United since i had quite a bank of E- Certs...it did state no change fees. Not refundable but they will re-issue the full amount via another E-cert. I suppose thats the best case scenario considering...

22-May-20
I'm on Alaska air, booked it with miles so it only cost me $11 in fees. As far as I am aware they will just refund my miles if need be but I plan on being on a plane come hell or high water.

22-May-20
Alaska Air not only returned my miles, they refunded my fees on my recent postponement of Kodiak Brown Bear hunt.

I have a TON of airline tickets out there with Delta and United currently and will wait to see if the airline changes the flight before I cancel and go the "voucher" route.

22-May-20
sounds like AK governor opened the entire state today??

22-May-20
Things are changing on a local level constantly. I wouldn't worry about things at a state level. We just got hit in two different spots up here and everything's on lockdown again here in Kotzebue. Reports all over of localities locking things up. My current sheep transporter is hoping they'll be open, but they're waiting on the locality, not the state, for the go-ahead.

It really seems to matter every local place you get on or off a plane, so don't worry so much about Anchorage - they've never closed the state to incoming traffic. You just need to look at where you're going from there via plane.

29-May-20
I just heard a small piece from the Governor about changes to the mandate. I didn’t catch it all but it sounds like we can take a test within a few days of flying to Alaska and be good to go. Also, more info is to follow on Monday.

Did anyone else hesr the entire story?

29-May-20

MQQSE's Link

29-May-20

Russell's Link

30-May-20
14 day quarantine has been extended to June 5th. There will he changes after that. Basically if you take a test and have negative results a couple days prior to flying to Alaska and bring those results with you, there will be no 14 day quarantine. Without the negative test prior to flying to Alaska, then the 14 day quarantine still is needed.

30-May-20
Or you can get tested in the airport. Better to get tested at home and not bring it here.

30-May-20
That’s a good option! I would try to get the test 2-3 days before flying to make sure you get the results before leaving your home state.

03-Jun-20
This new mandate sounds good on the surface but planning a special trip like this then trying to get results within that 72 hour window is not so easy. For a lot of us just getting to Alaska takes more than one day of travel because of airline schedules. And I can imagine a line of testing in Ketchikan airport which can be crowded on a slow day.

My plan is to get a brain swab test now. Assuming it's negative then I will get the less reliable quickie test before I leave.

03-Jun-20
delete double post

03-Jun-20
wonder what it will be in September....

04-Jun-20
Even with a direct flight from Hawaii to Ak, still no place on island can promise results in 72 hours. Guess I will have to do it at airport in anchorage. Hopefully it is somewhat of a quick process

04-Jun-20
Here's the latest from the Governor's office:

**COVID-19 HEALTH MANDATE** Revised: June 3, 2020 By: Governor Mike Dunleavy Commissioner Adam Crum, Alaska Department of Health and Social Services Dr. Anne Zink, Chief Medical Officer, State of Alaska To prevent the spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), the State of Alaska is issuing a revision to its tenth health mandate based on its authority under the Public Health Disaster Emergency Declaration signed by Governor Mike Dunleavy on March 11, 2020. This revised Mandate goes into effect 12:01 AM June 6, 2020. The purpose of this Mandate is to provide clear requirements related to international and interstate travel, while still working to provide sufficient mitigation factors to prevent, slow, and otherwise disrupt the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19. Health Mandate 10.1 – International and Interstate Travel – Order for Self-Quarantine Effective 12:01 am June 6, 2020: I. Applicability: This mandate applies to all persons entering the state of Alaska, whether resident, worker, or visitor II. Requirements: All people arriving in Alaska from outside the state must self-quarantine for 14 days unless the traveler falls under one of the following four categories (a, b, c, and d below): a. Pre-travel SARS-CoV2 PCR test: i. The traveler produces a SARS-CoV2 PCR test result showing the traveler tested negative for COVID-19 within 72 hours before departure to Alaska; OR ii. The traveler produces a SARS-CoV2 PCR test result showing the traveler tested negative for COVID-19 within five days before departure to Alaska and the traveler obtains a second SARS-CoV2 PCR test upon arrival in Alaska and minimizes interactions until the second test result is received and that test is also negative; iii. All pre-tested travelers will also receive a voucher for a second test that must occur within 7-14 days after arrival, and should minimize interactions until the result from the second test shows the traveler is negative for COVID-19. b. SARS-CoV2 PCR test upon arrival: i. The traveler obtains a SARS-CoV2 PCR test upon arrival in Alaska that shows the traveler is negative for COVID-19. The traveler must selfquarantine, at their own expense, while waiting for the test results. The traveler will receive a voucher for a second test that must occur within 7-14 days after arrival and should minimize interactions until the result from the second test shows the traveler is negative for COVID-19. ii. If the SARS-CoV2 PCR test comes up positive, the traveler must isolate at their own expense, and will not be able to travel unless cleared by public health. c. Alaska Residents returning from trips of five days or less: Alaska residents who travel out of state for a period of five days or less are not required to be tested before leaving (note: destination state or nation may have testing requirements) or prior to returning to the state. Upon returning to Alaska, residents must either: i. Self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival, with no requirement for testing; OR ii. Obtain a SARS-CoV2 PCR test upon arrival in Alaska that shows that the resident is negative for COVID-19. The resident must self-quarantine while waiting for the test results. The resident will obtain a voucher for a second test that must occur within 7-14 days after arrival, and should minimize interactions until the results from the second test shows the resident is negative for COVID-19. d. Critical infrastructure employee travel: i. The employee is traveling as part of critical infrastructure workforce as outlined in the Alaska Essential Services and Critical Workforce Infrastructure Order (formerly Attachment A), and the employee follows his/her company’s reviewed community protective plan on file with the State that includes testing and/or quarantine provisions. 1. Critical infrastructure is vital to keeping Alaska safe, and, as a result, businesses and employees of critical infrastructure industries must take special care to protect their staff and operations during this pandemic. If your business is included in the Alaska Essential Services and Critical Workforce Infrastructure Order (formerly Attachment A), and your workers must travel to enter Alaska, you must submit a plan or protocol for maintaining critical infrastructure to the [email protected]. This plan must outline how you will avoid the spread of COVID-19 and not endanger the lives of the communities in which you operate, of others who serve as a part of that infrastructure, or the ability of that critical infrastructure to function. Companies that have previously submitted plans do not need to submit another; they can proceed under their current plans that have been reviewed by the State. ii. The traveler falls under Health Mandate 017 – Protective Measures for Independent Commercial Vessels or Health Mandate 010 Appendix 01 – Enhanced Protective Measures for Seafood Processing Workers. III. Protocol a. Pursuant to the Governor’s declaration, the State of Alaska hereby orders the following: Prior to arrival in any community in Alaska from another state or nation, you must: i. Read the available information about safely traveling to Alaska. ii. Complete the State of Alaska Travel Declaration Form online and submit. Please print a copy or have electronic proof with you at your port of entry. If you are unable to complete the form online, paper copies will be available to complete at your port of entry. iii. If receiving a SARS-CoV2 PCR test upon arrival, register with the appropriate testing site. For the latest information on COVID-19, visit covid19.alaska.gov State of Alaska COVID-19 Mandate 010 Revised 06.03.20 A signed, printed version of this mandate is available at: covid19.alaska.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/MANDATE-010-REVISED-06.03.20.pdf ________________________________________ STAY CONNECTED: SUBSCRIBER SERVICES: This service is provided to you at no charge by the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services. ________________________________________ This email was sent to [email protected] using GovDelivery 707 17th St, Suite 4000 · Denver, CO 80202 · 1-800-439-1420

04-Jun-20
That's a tough read. Here's the important part:

Requirements: All people arriving in Alaska from outside the state must self-quarantine for 14 days unless the traveler falls under one of the following four categories (a, b, c, and d below): a. Pre-travel SARS-CoV2 PCR test: i. The traveler produces a SARS-CoV2 PCR test result showing the traveler tested negative for COVID-19 within 72 hours before departure to Alaska; OR ii. The traveler produces a SARS-CoV2 PCR test result showing the traveler tested negative for COVID-19 within five days before departure to Alaska and the traveler obtains a second SARS-CoV2 PCR test upon arrival in Alaska and minimizes interactions until the second test result is received and that test is also negative; iii. All pre-tested travelers will also receive a voucher for a second test that must occur within 7-14 days after arrival, and should minimize interactions until the result from the second test shows the traveler is negative for COVID-19. b. SARS-CoV2 PCR test upon arrival: i. The traveler obtains a SARS-CoV2 PCR test upon arrival in Alaska that shows the traveler is negative for COVID-19. The traveler must selfquarantine, at their own expense, while waiting for the test results. The traveler will receive a voucher for a second test that must occur within 7-14 days after arrival and should minimize interactions until the result from the second test shows the traveler is negative for COVID-19. ii.

04-Jun-20
It's tough read because the whole thing is absurd.

I'm not going to add a wordy post explaining why. It should be obvious. I plan on getting tested a week before I leave and doing any Alaska quarantine while trolling for salmon off POW.

04-Jun-20
So far I have yet to find anywhere that guarantees results under 72 hours. Maybe by July things will be faster.

04-Jun-20
The native's lost like 40% the population to the flue once. Id imagine they are scared to death? May not be a ton of service available once there?

04-Jun-20
Yes, flu of 1918 wiped out some entire villages and created tons of orphans.

Many villages are not letting anyone in and many more are not letting anyone but people who live there in.

There's a story of a village down by Shishmaref that posted two men with rifles at the two trails into town and turned everyone around who came near. They all survived and the nearest village was almost entirely wiped out. Other stories of some surviving adults raising 20 children from extended families.

04-Jun-20
IdylwildArcher: Alaska is unique. I understand perfectly the history and concern and I also would understand if the governor took the Shishmaref approach and just shut down the state to non-residents for the summer. But don't mandate (obviously by committee) a corn maze of obstacles that will be ineffective or simply ignored.

04-Jun-20
He's not going to do that. It'd cripple the economy not allowing NRs to come up all summer. He's a conservative.

04-Jun-20
Conservative or not business's will do what they see fit....there more to consider here, as each district regulates different.

05-Jun-20
That ruling will hit tourism hard to I would think. Sounds pretty ridiculous if I’m reading it correctly. They are trying to figure it out here in Hawaii too and if they go the route of multiple tests and quarantine for results I’m sure tourism won’t get going very fast. With what I understand there from AK is I can’t show up to hunt unless I show up 3-5 days early and quarantine til o get results from my second test in a week. The test is very uncomfortable as well. Not sure I will have the time to commit to that. Hopefully it changes by August

05-Jun-20
If I'm understanding the above mandate correctly: Even if I test negative within 72 hours of travel to Alaska, I still must have a second test performed in a 7-14 day window. That would be rather difficult to achieve if I'm tucked away in a valley about 100 air miles from anyone for 2+ weeks.

And of course this mandate could be changed in time.

05-Jun-20
The way I understand and I could be wrong as long as you have the negative test within 72 hrs of arrival you are free to do as you want. I could definitely be wrong on that though. There needs to be more clarity on this situation even my outfitter is currently confused on this topic. I have a feeling a bunch of hunts are going to me canceled due this being just to hard to achieve.

05-Jun-20
Everyone who is tested before arriving even if the test is negative will receive a test voucher and is supposed to be tested again 7 days after arrival. My fishing trip is one week so I'll be heading home but like Kevin said, if you are still in the woods or on the water how will testing happen? It won't.

And if you are tested upon arrival exactly where are you supposed to "quarantine at my expense" ? In the airport? I'll be heading on to my fishing cabin and quarantine while trolling for salmon.

05-Jun-20
I'm headed up middle of September. My understanding is if I can get tested at home and am negative I will get a voucher at the airport and can go on my way. I am then required to get test 7 to 14 days later. I will be back to town 9 days later after caribou hunting. I guess I will get another test then right before flying home. That's my plan as of now anyway. I'm sure everything will change next month though.

05-Jun-20
All the people saying what they are going to do, whether it complies or not, will be fine until someone somewhere in a position of authority with a God-complex starts looking at itineraries and adding dates up and finds that the story and the logistic of the trip prohibit compliance and you are turned away at the airport or border. If they start asking for where you are staying and when and for how long and it does not facilitate compliance it could be a short stay in AK.

05-Jun-20
And then there is this: None of this is being enforced!

Pete

05-Jun-20
Exactly

05-Jun-20
The big snafu is regardless of your pre-testing protocol you have to test again 7-14 days afterwards, that is pretty clear....that will be impossible on remote fly-ins, which I assume constitute 60-70% of all hunting trips. What will they do upon reaching civilization again?? not allow you to fly home? It's not like most will be sticking around to cavort with the locals anyway.... It'll be interesting come August

05-Jun-20
Why would they enforce it? Seems government has all the ideas on saving lives from Covid 19 with zero attention to the lives ruined by their policy.

06-Jun-20
Interesting to ponder what happens to a hunter who is finished hunting, ready to head home in a couple days....and then turns up a positive test result before he can get on a plane.

06-Jun-20
Does anyone think there will be restrictions in state to state travel in August/September??

Assembly and travel is wide open now in all our major cities.

06-Jun-20
I don’t have any idea what there will be. There should be no restrictions. The disease is on both sides of every border. The hypocrisy of the most restrictive of these politicians is right there in these photo ops at these all important protests. No matter what rules are in place we will follow them as we are a law abiding segment of the population. I wouldn’t follow every interstate travel recommendation but that’s my nature.

06-Jun-20

Lost Arra's Link
Looks like Anchorage has more restrictions than the state mandates.

06-Jun-20

Lost Arra's Link
After much reading and listening to press conferences I'm going to back off my criticism of the governor. He's getting bombarded with "advice" while trying to make travel feasible. The residents aren't always helping his cause.

06-Jun-20
LA, The article about Anchorage seems to indicate if you're in and out of AK in 14 days or less with a negative 72 hour test upon arrival, the second test isn't mandatory at that point and may or may not be requested via the voucher upon entry.... I fly into Fairbanks the evening of the 7th and am scheduled to fly out the evening of the 20th or 21st depending on weather getting out of camp. Either way if they issue the second test voucher it seems I should be able to get onboard and go home...(??)

06-Jun-20
Interesting to watch this unfolding now but nothing is set in concrete. It'll really be interesting to see what restrictions are in place come the first of August when most hunting seasons start rolling.

07-Jun-20
As it stands today, the key looks to be getting the negative Covid-19 test result within the 72 hour window before travel. If you can achieve that, you're probably in good shape to arrive. Complications increase if your trip is contingent on post-arrival tests and reduced interactions.

07-Jun-20
I was wondering this.. we fly in on sept 12.. fly back out on sept 25.. we are actually leaving the day we are supposed to be tested a second time.. curious how we pull that off..

09-Jun-20
The wife and I were to leave on the 2 of july. The testing has got us spooked. It's a vacation so probably stay home. The talk of one family at a time dining doesn't sound to fun.

09-Jun-20
Looks like they have increased the time from 72 hours to 5 days to get your test, prior to flying to Alaska. What they failed to do, is accounting the time we hunters spending over 14 days in the Bush, as they want to test you 7-14 days after you arrive....Hey guys up there, please put on your beeny caps....

09-Jun-20
"3 days prior to departure" with negative results has different protocol from "5 days prior to departure" with negative results. If results are 5 days old you get tested again upon arrival.

09-Jun-20
Everyone heading up there needs to understand the possible contingencies they face if they (or someone with them) tests positive just before leaving or after arrival. Plans will get blown up.

09-Jun-20
the level of anxiety in prepping and then showing up and then waiting to see how departure goes will sure take a lot of the fun out of this.

09-Jun-20
I just found this thread and am planning a trip to Anchorage July 17-26 for salmon fishing. Can someone please summarize the Covid requirements for me?

09-Jun-20

Lost Arra's Link
Here you go.

09-Jun-20
I should be leaving 2 months from today. This is really starting to get stressful trying to figure out all these time lines.

09-Jun-20
The 3 day time line is the potential problem. You are at the mercy of the testing location. Our fishing group is planning on getting tested 5 days out then again 3 days out.

09-Jun-20
You guys traveling to AK will be best-served to keep it simple & just talk to whoever is guiding or outfitting or hosting you to learn what you can actually expect when you get there. They’ll be the people most heavily vested in having you enter successfully and can thus inform you best. The closer to your travel date the better will be the info on the ever-changing guidelines.

09-Jun-20
sticksender +1

09-Jun-20
As it stands now when you fly into Anchorage or Fairbanks (or whatever SE town you enter if not the two main hubs) if you don’t have papers proving testing within the past 3-5 days you will be tested as you deboard the plane at the airport. If you refuse the test you can self quarantine for 14 days or return home.

If you get tested, you wait for results quarantining at your destination before going about normal life here and are given a voucher for a second test in 7 days. That said, no one is policing this and tracking down people in the state. Get tested before you leave if possible (some states won’t test asymptomatic people), if not get tested at airport on arrival then go on your trip avoiding going to public places etc. I wouldn’t be overly stressed about this beyond the point brought up earlier that if you do test positive it will ruin your trip.

I have family coming up in a few weeks that may or may not be cancelling their trip out of principle not wanting to be tested. I rolled my eyes at that stance but it’s their right to not be tested if they don’t want to be.

09-Jun-20
Thank you Trevor

09-Jun-20
Seems there is a risk when false positives are more common then not.

09-Jun-20
The bigger issue for outfitters that go up from the lower 48 is that as of now it sounds like the Canadian border will remain closed until July 20-something (as opposed to late June as expected)....hard to open up a camp if you can't get there. If this is true all the first season hunts are probably screwed! just something I saw on another site...not sure if its been confirmed or not

10-Jun-20
“More common than not”... what percentage is that? More than 51% of positive tests and false positives? Most things I’m reading indicate the opposite, false negatives are the common mishap for these tests.

I can’t imagine many remote hunting operations hauling gear back and forth from the L48 by land for a lot of guided hunts up here. Most leave gear In state (unless you are doing horseback which isn’t all that common for mode of transportation here). I’m not saying it’s a stress free green light fall hunting season by any means, but Alaska is one of the first states to aggressively reopen early. I’d be far more concerned if it was a village based hunt for starting point as Ike pointed out earlier. The state can only open up so much, if certain towns don’t want outsiders that’s the end of it. No politician would touch that issue with a hundred foot pole.

10-Jun-20
I fully agree with the premise of 'false negative' being the more common error. I've heard of several instances where symptomatic individuals tested negative, only to test positive a few days later as symptoms worsened. For the record, if I (or anyone) tests positive, I don't think travel is appropriate. I would want to know, and I would want to avoid contact. I'm not at all against testing.

The gray area (as it stands now) looks to be what happens to your hunt if you arrive without that 'negative within past 72 hours' test result. There's only so much you can do to prepare for and control things. Beyond that you just have to have some degree of confidence that things will work themselves out....big and small bumps can happen. Considering the immense loss of lives and real human suffering which has occurred, I'm not going to feel bad for myself if luck turns away and I don't get to hunt. It's not a huge deal compared to what some have endured.

10-Jun-20
Son inlaw called governor's office yesterday and a knowledgeable person called him back. Some possible good news. The travel mandate will be reevaluated in two weeks and could be modified depending on covid stats. Fingers crossed.

10-Jun-20
I checked with a clinic near me and was told that right now they are getting results back in 24-48 hours. Unless there's is a major outbreak again that started creating delays in results I should be fine. Assuming a negative test anyway. A positive result a day before departure would sure be a downer, both for the guy with the virus and the hunting partner without.

• Sitka Gear