Bow Crazy 14-May-20
BOHUNTER09 14-May-20
RIT 15-May-20
Ok...Russ 15-May-20
Habitat 15-May-20
Habitat 15-May-20
Shortstop 15-May-20
13-May-20
When do I have to have turnips and or radishes in the ground by in order to have them available this fall / winter?

13-May-20
Depending on where your at, they need about 90 day of growing season. Planted to early and the tops will go sweet to early and the deer will have the tops gone. I've seen tops got by September. Ed

13-May-20
Dave.... Here in Iowa, the adage is, “July 29, rain or shine”. I always try to put mine in around the first of August.

13-May-20
How does one manage deer and turkey properties but isn’t sure of planting dates for food plots?

14-May-20
Here in west central Wisconsin I planted radishes on Tuesday. I did two small areas to test out the results/outcome. If needed, I can replant in August or even into September. We got rain last night, YEAH! BC

14-May-20
RIT, ever think he's just getting started and doesn't have years and years of experience like yourself or t-roy? I've just started myself and I don't have a calendar of planting dates for each crop or when to spray or when to cut. Broadcast seed or drill? How to read soil samples? Etc.... I'm making notes and posting here where OTHERS are willing to help so I can build that knowledge. Doubt I'll ever get to your level though!

14-May-20
Spring planting 2 to 3 weeks before last danger of frost (max) fall planting 8 weeks before first danger of frost (max) in the highlands of Virginia those are May 10 and October 1. Light frost won't hurt brassicas

14-May-20
I plant my brassicas in the UP of MI in July. They don't really ever get to bulbs other than what is in the seclusion cages because the deer eat the growth right away. I'll put winter rye and oats into the same plots in August.

14-May-20
RIT, private reply sent.

14-May-20
To the guys looking for foodplot info there are a couple other forums that are a wealth of knowledge; habitattalk and deerhunterforum are really good. Not that there isn't great knowledge here... it's just more are on those sites dedicated to plots and habitat.

14-May-20
Just a thought, I have had great luck planting brassicas this time of year and mowing once or twice during the summer and they come back great. Actually, they come back awesome. I decided to try a planting of straight radish this time to see how they respond. If you are going for green tonage, planting brassicas in the spring is killer. Radish is highly preferred by deer in late October and November by the deer in Wisconsin. BC

14-May-20
My dad always said 27 th of July wet or dry

15-May-20
Spring planted radish is going to bolt.

15-May-20

Habitat for Wildlife's Link
Whitetail Institute publishes a planting guide by region. Match your products to theirs and this is a good guideline. GL!

15-May-20
Thanks Habitat - very helpful.

15-May-20
When planting corn,beans,milo etc I plant food plot around 2 weeks after we plant ag fields that way they are still green usually and the milo is still in milk stage which is preferred. I haven't planted milo last couple years due to sugar cane aphid but picked up some seed this year.

15-May-20
When planting corn,beans,milo etc I plant food plot around 2 weeks after we plant ag fields that way they are still green usually and the milo is still in milk stage which is preferred. I haven't planted milo last couple years due to sugar cane aphid but picked up some seed this year.

15-May-20
Good question RIT. In general, they're not needed in Iowa....we have corn and beans that we leave stand.

• Sitka Gear