Contributors to this thread:
BowmanMD 14-May-20
Deertick 14-May-20
BowmanMD 14-May-20
wyobullshooter 14-May-20
Bowboy 14-May-20
BowmanMD 18-May-20
14-May-20
Since I was doomed by point creep and figured I would never draw a bull tag in Wyoming, I cashed in my 11 points for a freezer full of cow moose meat (hopefully!). I am planning on doing the hunt early October right after an elk hunt with my 12 yo daughter up in the Thorofare. We will drive down from there and hopefully tag out on the moose in a day or two and then head back with a TON of meat back to Wisconsin. I would appreciate any input on whether this is realistic expectation to find and shoot a cow moose in a day or two or whether it's going to take more time than that. I am hoping to do it with my bow, but if time becomes a factor, I can switch over to the rifle. With the drive both ways and the elk hunt, I'm just worried about my daughter missing too much school so I want to get the moose pretty quick. Is that do-able in 25? Lots of moose and public land? I guess if I need to, I'm willing to hire a guide on a daily fee, but it seems like that may be overkill on a cow hunt. I'd appreciate any input! Thanks! Sean

14-May-20
Tall order, for sure. Have you considered letting her fly back from Jackson? I don't think I'd plan that narrow of a window.

14-May-20
Thought about flying her home, but with no direct flights from Jackson, my wife wouldn't be thrilled about her flying alone and connecting somewhere. Worst case scenario, I can fly/drive back out later in October to hunt the cow, but just trying to be efficient since I'm already out there with the truck. Flying back later would mean lots of $$$ getting that much meat back.

14-May-20
I agree with Deertick. IMO, you’re facing an uphill battle in that short timeframe. Area 25 has quite a bit of BLM land, but not sure how much is moose habitat. Most all the land along the Green River is private. I’d recommend calling the Pinedale Regional G&F office and talking to Dean, the wildlife biologist, and pick his brain. Most ranchers allow moose hunting, but most also limit the number of hunters, so I wouldn’t waste any time getting contact info from him or the game wardens. Another thing to keep in mind...a cow may be easy to find, but finding one that doesn’t have a calf can be a challenge. Planning on finding one in a day or two is possible, but extremely unrealistic.

14-May-20
Sent you a pm

18-May-20
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like it's going to be a tall-order to fill having just a day or two to get it done. I may have to go back at the end of October and take a little more time. I'm going to try to talk to the biologist and a few of the bull hunters from years past to figure out a game plan. Thanks!

• Sitka Gear