Jaquomo 17-May-20
cnelk 17-May-20
TxHuntr 17-May-20
LKH 18-May-20
Mule Power 18-May-20
Mule Power 18-May-20
DonVathome 18-May-20
15-May-20
I have a sunshade made out of HDPE (high density polyethylene) material. Water runs off but some goes through. It is thin material meant to just give a little shade. Is there a way to make it more waterproof? I have patio furniture under it and it would be nice to keep it drier.

15-May-20

DonVathome's embedded Photo
DonVathome's embedded Photo

15-May-20
I would think any of the spray on waterproofers for fabric would work.

15-May-20
Take one of them cheap blue tarps and put it over the top of it. No more water leaks for a while and the neighbors will love you for sprucing up the neighborhood redneck style.

15-May-20
Campdry might work.

15-May-20
you might take a 5 gallon bucket, mix the right ratio of silicone caulk and low odor mineral spirits. let it soak in for a few minutes then hang it out to dry. some guys make "silnylon" this way.

15-May-20
you might take a 5 gallon bucket, mix the right ratio of silicone caulk and low odor mineral spirits. let it soak in for a few minutes then hang it out to dry. some guys make "silnylon" this way.

15-May-20

15-May-20
Silnylon making a run...

15-May-20

15-May-20
I'd maybe go with CampDry. But another option might be the treatment we use on wall tents. You can spray it on.

15-May-20
I'd maybe go with CampDry. But another option might be the treatment we use on wall tents. You can spray it on.

15-May-20
Tried to edit but gremlins are messing with me.

17-May-20
What do you guys use to waterproof wall tents?

17-May-20
Campdry works. This might go without saying. but don't forget to seal your seams.

17-May-20
As stated Camp Dry works great, and seal your seam.... Tents are yearly maintenance I have a Laacke and Joy Canvass tent , I bought 20 years ago,,,, I took it too a canvass shop and they sewed in a fireproof, opening for me for a stove,,,, I am now 70, this tent has been out west, in Ontario and beyond, and will out last me

You can not buy these anymore, with waterproof floors etc,,,,,, Anyways, make sure it is always packed away dry, and use the Camp Dry, and take care of it and it will last forever.

I have 2 cabins, one in the UP, and one in Ontario, that I bought when I was 25 years old, and lived in it for 2 years.......... I still love my tent

Something very special and romantic about the spirit of the Wilderness, with a tent d dr

17-May-20
Don, we used Canvak and sprayed it on with a weed sprayer. Really does the job.

17-May-20
Yep. Canvak

17-May-20
Will this work on an Army surplus tent as well? Or whats better for them?

18-May-20
Yes to the Canvak. . Liquid and you brush paint it on if you don't have a sprayer.

18-May-20
Lou perfect timing for the suggestion. I have a new wall tent being delivered this week.

One question though.... a big benefit of canvas over synthetic material is no interior condensation. Do you get any after applying Canvak?

18-May-20
Wall Tent Shop just told me not to apply anything to the new tent. I tarp my tent anyway so leaks aren’t an issue.

18-May-20
Thanks!

• Sitka Gear