NoWiser 15-May-20
Whip 16-May-20
Huntcell 16-May-20
Treeline 16-May-20
Ucsdryder 16-May-20
Stryker 17-May-20
standswittaknife 17-May-20
15-May-20
How does the moose draw work in WYO for out of state? If I want to start applying for preference points am I wasting my time? I'm 32 so have some time to wait (God willing). Any input would be appreciated.

15-May-20
How does the moose draw work in WYO for out of state? If I want to start applying for preference points am I wasting my time? I'm 32 so have some time to wait (God willing). Any input would be appreciated.

15-May-20
Wasting your time if you ask me. There are a number of people here who started building points and abandoned them for WY moose.

15-May-20

15-May-20

15-May-20

15-May-20
I say go for it. If you are 32 you have plenty of time. You gotta figure, most the people with the highest points will have already drawn or died in 15 years. Lol. I drew with 16 points. Meanwhile, you can also put in for Idaho with MUCH better odds.

15-May-20
I’m not far off but you are looking at a potential 30 year commitment to get a tag in the preference point draw. Barring no additional wolf or grizzly problems(yeah right) at the current tag level and point fee of $150 plus tag fee inflation you’ll have 6-7k invested and still might not have your tag. Of course you could draw one of the random tags but u can’t count on that. If u really want to hunt moose get in on a hunt in Alberta, Ontario or Newfoundland and spend that money now. It’s a better investment. That said I have 15 points and am wondering if I should take my own advice and bail

15-May-20
Only if you have to kill a Shiras that qualifies for P&Y. Even so as mentioned ID way better odds. Otherwise moose hunts are relatively in expensive so will be cheaper to just plan one now. You can find a Canada hunt for $5-7k if you look.

15-May-20
My opinion is that you are too old, at 32, to get started. It's VERY unlikely that 30 points will get you close to drawing a tag in the preference draw when you are 62 years old. In 15 years it'll be taking 35 points. That said, the draw system will likely change in Wyoming and who knows what that will look like, but I'd guess it will likely devalue your points when it happens.

16-May-20
You can go to the game & fish website and find the stats that show how many people are sitting on various point totals. You'll see that there are right now over 10,000 non residents that have anywhere from 1-25 points for moose. I think last year there were something like 52 tags for any or antlered moose in the NR preference point draws. So yeah, you'll outlive most of those guys. But it's going to be a looooooong wait!

16-May-20
Starting at zero points is pretty much a lost cause. the Hunting Consulting services are advising clients with 16 or less points that it’s not a good idea to even keep applying let alone a newbie at zero points to start. Wow there the ones that harp Apply! Apply! Apply. So unless you have a desire to support Wy G&F go for it.

Current statistics and trends paint a rather sobering clear picture.

16-May-20
Let my 5 Wyoming moose points go. Actually applied a couple of years for cow moose but looking at how bad the odds have been going even for a cow, I figured it wasn’t worth it...

16-May-20
Great example of why the big draw, moose/goat/sheep/etc should be random or close to random.

17-May-20
Why would you not apply. I think every area has a random tag and even if you don’t draw you accumulate a point. I know it will cost you an app fee doing it this way. I am almost 63 and guess what? I drew area 42 this year on the Big Horns and it took me 25 years to get this tag. So never give up on any dreams you may have. I will be on the Big Horns all summer as I live on the west slope and will have my recurve all ready for the season opener. Good luck

17-May-20
I would apply for units with a random tag each year.

• Sitka Gear