badbull 15-May-20
badbull 15-May-20
badbull 15-May-20
lamb 15-May-20
splitlimb13 16-May-20
MQ1 16-May-20
Norseman 16-May-20
15-May-20
Anyone ever done a week long trip through the Gila on horseback? I was thinking that would be some beautiful country to see in early summer. Any information on how to book such a trip would be appreciated.

15-May-20
Been there many times but not on horseback. Great country - you should certainly go if you can!

15-May-20
I was wishing I had a mule or horse last year in the Gila. There's some absolutely HUGE country in there. Some of the most remote country in the US in the Gila I imagine & it's not just terrible to maneuver. I'd love to take the trip you're thinking of myself altho I'm not sure a week would be sufficient.

15-May-20
It can be done. There are outfitters who also do summer packs trips. Beautiful country but the trail system has NOT been maintained and most trails have deadfall...

15-May-20
It can be done. There are outfitters who also do summer packs trips. Beautiful country but the trail system has NOT been maintained and most trails have deadfall...

15-May-20

15-May-20

15-May-20
Great idea, especially if you are scouting for elk. I have spent time there chasing bulls but without a horse. Those herdbulls can lead you on a merry chase for miles in that country. It is not like your typical Colorado elk country but very interesting. As said above, I would contact some of the outfitters and maybe some ranchers might rent you a horse. Some of the ranchers and outfitters in that country seem to think that they own the National Forest also. At least that is the feeling that I got from some. Good luck to you finding what you need.

15-May-20

15-May-20

15-May-20

15-May-20

15-May-20
Sorry , my tablet is having a problem

15-May-20
n-bar ranch-preston bates

16-May-20

splitlimb13's embedded Photo
Even better with your dad
Even better with your dad
Depending on where you go it's some of the toughest places . Also one of the most beautiful.

16-May-20
I used to ride for two weeks in the summer looking for Elk in unit 16b.

In at point a & out at point b.

I have seen all most of the north half.

16-May-20
Majestic place Got my tag for this fall Excited is an understatement!!

• Sitka Gear