Nick Muche 16-May-20
Jaquomo 16-May-20
Buffalo1 16-May-20
Buffalo1 16-May-20
Buffalo1 16-May-20
ahunter76 16-May-20
ahunter76 16-May-20
15-May-20
With the incredible capabilities of cell phone cameras these days how many of you still carry and use a point & shoot? I haven't carried one in years, but with an Alaskan moose hunt on my schedule this year I'm considering it again. One big advantage of course would be expanded zoom range among other advantages. Any recommendations on particular models to look at without breaking my budget?

15-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Another example, you just aren't getting pics like this with a cell phone IMO.
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Another example, you just aren't getting pics like this with a cell phone IMO.
There's really no comparison between a cell phone camera and a good point and shoot IMO. I picked one up last year and it really made me take more and much better photos than I ever could with my phone, especially with the zoom range on critters. I ended up buying a Panasonic FZ-300. It was not overly expensive, has great zoom range, and 4K video. It is a larger camera and heavy to carry around, there are more compact options that would work fine. That said I carried mine all over the mountains of Wyoming last year and never complained once. Lots of good choices out there. Maybe post up what you want and your price range, guys here gave me a lot of help!

Sample pic I took for attention/comparison.

15-May-20
Make sure you check out the specs on the delay from trigger to shoot, some are so long the subject is gone.

15-May-20
I guess what you consider not breaking your budget is. But if you got a moderate budget. Look at the mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lens. Considerable smaller body and lens than a DSLR with lens options from very wide to fairly impressive zoom. With a lot more customization than a point and shoot.

I have a DSLR with some midline lens. I got a buddy that has upgraded to the mirrorless. I hate to start over but if I was getting started it would be a no brainer.

15-May-20
Olympus TG5. It’s an Alaska proof point and shoot. Fits easily in your pocket for easy access which will make you want to use it more.

15-May-20
I have 2 cool pix, picture quality isn't as good as a cell phone!

15-May-20
Is that what you used to take your Dall sheep pic with, Nick?

15-May-20
If I could keep it under $500 I'd be happy. I'm really not looking at larger bodies with interchangeable lenses. I'd probably haul my old dslr if I went that route but would prefer something small that I am more likely to use frequently. Maybe at that price point I'm not gaining much over my cell phone? It takes amazing pictures as long as I'm close to the subject. I like the Olympus idea in Alaska for sure. Wish it had longer zoom, but understand that is the trade off for a waterproof camera. Thanks for the replies!

16-May-20

Ambush's embedded Photo
Bear, last night at thirty eight yards.
Ambush's embedded Photo
Bear, last night at thirty eight yards.
I bought a Canon SX730 HS from Costco a couple years ago and it has been great. Good zoom and takes very good video. One of the great things about a camera with good zoom is, you can take pics of a sheep and count rings or a moose or elk and count tines. I Bluetooth my camera to my phone and download the pics, then I can send them out anywhere there is cell service.

16-May-20

Curt Wells's embedded Photo
Curt Wells's embedded Photo
Cell phones are worthless in the field, especially if you hope to capture excellent grip-and-grin photos. That is because the flash on a cell phone is virtually worthless and cannot be use as fill flash. A good point-and-shoot is compact, easy to access (so you'll use it more), has high-resolution and the flash will light up a scene. Nearly every kill photo can benefit from fill flash because it brings out the color and detail even when the background may be bright sky. A cell, or a camera with no flash, will meter the sky and underexpose the subject making the photo almost worthless. In the attached photo the flash (mine is a Canon DSLR with a 580EX flash, but some point-and-shoot cameras have excellent flash) filled in the subject while maintaining good exposure in the background. With no flash it would have been nearly a silhouette photo. Just my two cents...

16-May-20
Thanks Curt, the fill flash ability is a good point, and I'd love nothing more than to replicate your picture this September! The guy that I'm moose hunting with had a major caribou migration come through during their hunt last year so there is that possibility. You can bet I'll have a tag for each in my pocket.

16-May-20
Ambush, that Canon SX730 is one of the models I liked the looks of a lot. Thanks

16-May-20
I own one of these and it takes great pix in a shirt-pocket camera. Not cheap but it has a bigger lens and bigger sensor chip, so you can crop heavily and still get good shots. Not a lot of zoom but cropping balances that somewhat. -

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/point-and-shoot-digital-cameras/advanced-cameras/powershot-g9-x-mark-ii

16-May-20
Yessir Troy! I actually carry three cameras now. Phone, Olympus and a Nikon D5600 that Zack Walton made me buy.

16-May-20
Bigger cameras like DSLRs are better, but a camera isn't any good if it's too big to carry all the time, and is left back in the truck.

All my live Bowsite hunts and magazine article photos were done with a Sony Cybershot, which I loved, but it finally crapped out. They don't make it anymore, so I'm in the market too.

16-May-20
Whip, I will offer you 2 cameras for consideration:

My backpack camera which I can carry in soft pouch or in a waterproof box (purchased at Walmart is a Nikon Cool Pix S9900. It offers a 30X wide magnification. This is my "bread and butter" camera.

My little bit larger camera is my Nikon Coolpix P600. It offers a 60X magnification.

I purchase my cameras from KEH Camera in Georgia. They are used cameras. I always buy the VG grade and most often times Excellent grade. KEH can save you a lot of money on camera cost.

Both cameras have produced photographs that have won or placed high in photo contest.

16-May-20

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
My Nikon Cool Pix S9900

16-May-20

My Nikon Cool Pix P600

16-May-20

ahunter76's embedded Photo
I actually carry 2 cameras majority of the time. I have a point & shoot Minolta with built in flash that was a little over $100 & is always handy. Does a great job. I've used Minolta since the film 35mm days. Wife is big into photography (all Nikon) & I have one of her Nikons that is usually in my pack for those other not so fast pics. (300mm lens) If i'm in a stand, I have it placed where I can get it quickly. She has 4 different bodies & I have no idea how many lenses (to many)

16-May-20
The Buffalo were a long ways off but the Nikon 300mm lens made it a decent photo. The Turkeys were with the point & shoot Minolta at about 30 yds & then I cropped the photo. Curt Wells, THAT is an awesome photo in SO MANY ways.

• Sitka Gear