wildwilderness 17-May-20
Kurt 17-May-20
Empty Freezer 17-May-20
Kurt 17-May-20
Too Many Bows Bob 20-May-20
nmwapiti 20-May-20
Empty Freezer 20-May-20
15-May-20
In the market for some new arrows this year. Currently shooting Easton flatline 340s as I was chasing speed for al I could. Considering going heavier and am looking at the fmjs which I have used previously, axis, or possibly the injections. What do I need to know about the injections? Can I just get standard outsert? Any issues inherent to them I should know? I just Hunt whitetails from treestands.

Craig

15-May-20
I’ve been shooting FMJ injections. I use outserts either ethics archery outsert or Goldtips. Works well

If your gonna use deep six. Get the iron will collars. Those are awesome

16-May-20
I also shoot the FMJ Injexions. Have been since they came out. I love them. Hard hitting and very accurate. I shoot either Slick Trick Mags or VPA D6 Terminators with the outsert on it from Razyr. Just picked up 2 dozen more so should last me a long time.

16-May-20
Ive tried the carbon injections and the fmj injections. They both worked but i used the deep six insert which is not strong enough for hunting IMO. Didnt like being limited to deep six broadheads. Switched back to Axis and really like them with a 50gr brass insert. Thats about the perfect weight for elk or just about anything in NA.

16-May-20
I've been using Deep Six Injections for a few years. Love the arrows. Agree broadhead choices aren't the best. I still have and use Wac 'em fixed blades, but they don't make them anymore. I'm trying SEVR expandables this year. If those don't impress me, I'll have to go to an outsert.

16-May-20
For tree stand whitetails there just isn't even one advantage to a micro diameter arrow shaft. The only time they offer penetration advantages is in solid foam targets. Find an arrow in the appropriate spine, in the weight you want, at the price you can live with, and ignore the outside diameter. Then, [if] you have chosen a micro dia shaft, use an outsert .

Might be a different story if you were hunting the open mountain ranges with long crosswind shots but, even then the micro shafts likely aren't going to be the difference that saves your hunt.

16-May-20
Not worth it. I do shoot 4mm injexions but I’m practicing at 100yards and hunt windy mountains for sheep and goat, open tundra for caribou. The iron will collar is a necessity that works great with the D6.

For whitetails from a tree stands you are over thinking it! But that’s the marketing hype! Anything that shoots well from your bow will work with a sharp Broadhead!!

16-May-20
Ive shot the gold tips had them break on impact on two different bulls. So i switched back to Accs.

16-May-20
Thanks all kind of where i was headed anyway. Want a little heavier shaft but don’t want to break the bank. Like the axis with brass inserts idea.

Craig

17-May-20
Good choice. I think the 5mm Axis with a 50 or 75 gr insert is the best value arrow. I still shoot them out of one of my bows.

17-May-20
I really like Carbon Injexions with Firenock outserts for standard threaded broadheads. I also put the D-6 stainless steel insert in the shaft that comes with them for additional reinforcement and a bit more FOC. I’m going into my 8th season with them...only one season with D-6, the rest with the outsert.

But, just for whitetails they would be an expensive option with little return. Good luck!

17-May-20
Do any of you shooting the small diameter arrows put a helical on your vanes?

17-May-20
I fletch mine with the same helical Blazers put on with my Bitz that I put regular diameter Gold Tip Hunters and previously feathers on 23-15s. No issue fletching them for me.

20-May-20
Imho, when you are talking about a hunting arrow penetration out weights a few fps.

You wouldn't go elk hunting with a .17 Remington even though the bullets go 4000+ fps. That's because a 35 grain bullet is not going to penetrate. You would use a slower, heavier bullet. Same same with arrows.

The average shot on a white tail is about 17 yards. Think about it. Btw, i shoot a 450 gt FMJ. Tmbb

20-May-20
Empty, I use a right helical on my 4mm FMJs. Takes a little more fussing to get them to lay tight against the shaft since there isn't as much real estate, but it works.

20-May-20
That's what I was thinkin. I'm still playin around with the idea of going to fmj's. Deer season starts the 2nd week of July in CA. Its only a couple months, good thing is it'll be 110 degrees then. I may not switch arrows until next year.

20-May-20
I shot the Carbon Injections for two years with Iron Will Impact Collars and Deep Six HIT inserts. It proved to be a durable system but if you want to shoot standard thread broadheads, I would use the Axis with Iron Will Impact collars and hardened steel HITs.

• Sitka Gear