Inshart 23-May-20
rjlefty3 25-May-20
iceman 26-May-20
goelk 26-May-20
Outdoordan 26-May-20
21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
You show me a house with two kids of similar age and interest that don’t compete in everything and I’ll be shocked! I have two bowhunters that make everything a competition. I did this, you did that, it only took me x, etc and so on and so forth. This is the story about one little bowhunter finally getting the upper hand on his big sis!

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
My boy Kaden has always been in love with shooting a bow. It started long before his older sister started shooting. Every trip I took to the range I had a tag along. If his sister was a half-pint then Kaden was a quarter pint. This little guy started out with a cheap little recurve bow and slung arrows as long as I would let him.

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Showing off his top finisher pin at the R100.
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Showing off his top finisher pin at the R100.
Lots of 3D shoots were in his future, and he got better and better and better. He started finishing at the top of the pack in his age division in almost each shoot he went to.

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
We counted down the days until he was able to bowhunt for the first time. 12 years old would never come it seemed! Then it was the minimum draw weight challenge! Well finally last spring he was shooting 35#’s and hitting x’s and ready to hunt!

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Unfortunately we didn’t have a lot of the spring season left last year by the time I felt he was ready with his increased draw weight and hunting set-up. It was mid-May before we got out on our first bowhunt.

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
We went out for an afternoon hunt and the action was slow. I knew birds came into this field in the afternoons though, it was just a matter of time. A lot of you guys have probably seen a sight like this in your turkey blind if you hunt with teenagers!

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
I’m going to use a pic or two from our hunts this year for dramatic effect if you guys don’t mind ;)
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I’m going to use a pic or two from our hunts this year for dramatic effect if you guys don’t mind ;)
A couple hours into the hunt 3 longbeards showed up in the field. A little hen talk and they were inbound to our set-up in a hurry! They came right in on the Jake decoy and Kaden drew his bow.

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Now I’m thinking to myself “This is a done deal, he is lights out with his bow. No way he misses at 8 yards.” Well turns out 3 giant longbeards in your face rattles even the best of shots! Especially when they are on their first bowhunt! He just got black feathers in his sight housing and let it rip. Right through the back feathers. The Tom not knowing what had happened continued to attack the decoy. A second arrow was on its way and this one sailed harmlessly high as well and off they went. Nothing but a handful of feathers for his trouble. I was quick to encourage, reminding him it took his sister 16 shots before she finally killed one! That eased the pain a bit.

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
We managed to make it out one more time last spring before the season ended but it was to no avail. Nothing but a good turkey nap!

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
He was determined to get better and more prepared for the fall season. Lots more 3D and lots more competition with his sister!

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Fall rolled around and I had a FULL schedule. Antelope with Ki, Wyoming elk, and then we had a window to go out and chase some mule deer together. He was a trooper. Up and down the hills, long hours glassing. He had the time of his life.

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
We made some good stalks but just couldn’t get within the 25 yards he needed to to have a great opportunity. We saw pretty country, some nice bucks, but no shots were fired.

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
That was the only time we were able to get out last fall unfortunately. We chased pheasants with the pup and had a lot of family commitments and things going on that kept us from getting in the tree stand for whitetails. That will change this year!

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Fast forward to this springs he was counting down the days until opening day! Two days before the opener we had a bad ice storm and a wicked cold snap. It was 15 degrees and icy on the opener but he was ready, as I’m sure you can see here. :)

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
We snuck into our spot bright and early. Birds started gobbling all around us as the light started to break in the East. The birds hit the ground and we called in 2 longbeards right off the roost. They were coming in hot!

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Kaden once again drew back and took his time. The birds presented him with a perfect broadside shot. I felt the extra practice and hunting time he had put in would serve him well. He triggered the release and...puff! Nothing but feathers! The longbeards swirled around the decoys but charged right back in. He nocked another arrow and sent it on its way! This one was closer but still nothing but feathers! Dang it! 4 shots and 4 misses. I reminded him still 12 to go to catch up with his sister! That again helped assuage his anguish!

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
We hunted a few more times and struggled to get birds in bow range. The hunting pressure this spring has been insane. The birds were definitely showing it. Hang ups and decoy shy birds were the rule. We had birds within 30 yards every time out but we just couldn’t get them in range!

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
As we moved into May we changed locations and started to have some better luck. We setup on the same field edge he had missed the 3 longbeards in last spring. It wasn’t long and we had birds coming in hot! Were these the same 3 that he failed on last year?

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
These birds were VERY wary. Eventually they came under the fence and into position for Kaden to make a shot. I felt really good about this one. The birds were in full strut. He sent his arrow on the way and...puff again! Another cloud of feathers and no turkey, no blood drawn. That was 5 shots and 5 misses, still 11 to go to better his big sis!

21-May-20
Just show him my turkey hunt in Nebraska this season, where I missed ( got feathers) three toms at 15 yards, before I finely killed one.

21-May-20
I see that snoozing pose A LOT from people turkey hunting. Is there such a thing as contracting triptophan-by-proxy? Looking forward to the rest of this one (although I already know the outcome)! I’m sure Kia is following along as well ;-)

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
We had one last chance this season before his sister’s grad weekend. I took the day off work and we headed out on a gray, rainy morning. The weather improved dramatically after sunrise and we soon had action with birds in the field!

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
They were wary as ever and we struggled with getting them to come in. They would strut and gobble waiting for the hens to come to them. Finally a solo bird came from the woods and showed some real interest!

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Pic of another bird, I was working the decoy so no camera action on this bird!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Pic of another bird, I was working the decoy so no camera action on this bird!
He was coming in but very slowly. I had just gotten a new DSD Jake strutter and rigged it up with some pull cord motion. I slowly worked the strings on my little Jake and that sold him big time! Here he came! He ran under the fence and Kaden came to full draw. This bird was pissed! He immediately attacked the decoy and gave Kaden no shot. He held at full draw for what seemed like forever until finally he came around the front of the decoy...perfectly broadside..and the arrow was once again on the way!

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Whack! A perfect hit! Right in the 12 ring! The bird was in a bad way and went down in a hurry. The 6th shot was the charm!

21-May-20
Lots of hugs and high fives and then the trophy photo session was on! He had killed a beautiful longbeard. 24.2# on my scale, double bearded 10.5” and 6” and nice 1 1/4” spurs. A real trophy for any hunter let alone your first turkey!

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Of course we immediately texted his sister :) Many of you guys have met Kia, we already knew how she would respond! Of course she was proud as heck of her little bro for doing something she has still not done to this day, killed a mature longbeard!

21-May-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
It was a LONG walk back to the truck toting that longbeard but he wouldn’t have it any other way. He had one upped his big sis! On the way back to the truck we talked and some of his first thoughts were back to those mule deer...to be continued in October!

21-May-20
Congrats for Kaden and many more to come, I'm 66 and still waiting on my first with a bow. Useing a Longbow now , I may never get one.LOL.

Kurt

21-May-20
Before the killing shot, were all previous shots at birds in full strut? If so, do you think it might have turned out differently, if he had taken a shot at the gobbler(s) when they weren't in strut?

21-May-20
Excellent! Tell him good job!

21-May-20
Jake, you are 100% correct, at least on the last couple birds. The birds last year and his first this year he just rushed. I felt like he made a great effort on his fifth attempt, just didn’t pick the right spot. I could tell he expected to have killed the bird where his arrow went. This one was in 1/4 strut and he had a much better defined target. That definitely helped 100%. I think if the fifth bird had been out of strut he would have killed it to be honest.

21-May-20
Awesome! Big congrats to the both of you!

21-May-20
Did he have the Kia fingernail paint? Congrats young man!!!

21-May-20
Good Stuff!!!!!

21-May-20
Awesome!

21-May-20
Persistence pays off!! Congrats to him on a huge bird. Lots of guys out there that have killed a pile of birds and never killed on of that caliber.

21-May-20
What a great post . You are a raising them right!!! Congrats. Hunt

21-May-20
How exciting. Good job to him and you dad..

21-May-20
Excellent story and pics...way to go, Kaden !!

21-May-20
Very cool !! Loved the read

21-May-20
Sweet. Congrats to Kaden! Those are some great pics. What are you using for a camera? Also did you have to wait until the birds came under the fence to shoot cause they were on off limits ground?

21-May-20
Thanks Scoot!

Quinn, have to get them on the right ground. Scoot can attest to that! Ryan had a big old tom that wouldn’t cross the fence when they hunted here! Grr! The camera is a Panasonic FZ-300. I should have gotten the FZ-1000 for a little higher quality in lower light with movement. This one does great in full light but early and late in the day it struggles, especially with movement.

21-May-20
Thanks for all the kind words guys! He’s pretty pumped to finally have his own Bowsite story!

22-May-20
Awesome! Congrats!

22-May-20
Thx for posting Many more memories to be made.

22-May-20
Very kool indeed!

Congrats Young Man

Thanks for sharing with us JB,

Robb

22-May-20
Great to hear the full story. Congrats again to you and Kaden! You're a great dad....thanks for passing it on!

22-May-20
What a neat write up. Heart was pounding reading this. Thanks.

Congratulations to you both!

22-May-20
Love it! Thanks for taking the time

22-May-20
Great Pics, Great story and Great family times. Well done Kaden. Damn good job you are doing Justin

22-May-20
Great Pics, Great story and Great family times. Well done Kaden. Damn good job you are doing Justin

22-May-20
Great story. Congrats to the young man, and his dad.

22-May-20
Awesome ! Congratulations Kaden !!! Great job Justin!

22-May-20
Congrats to all of you! Thanks for telling the story!

22-May-20
Strong work boys! Thanks for the post Justin. Way to go.

22-May-20
Great story, thanks for sharing!!!

22-May-20
That is Awesome! Congrats!

22-May-20
Awesome story! Congratulations to both of you!

22-May-20
So what’s Kaden going with on the mount? Full strut??!!

22-May-20
Nice!!

22-May-20
He broke the wing so he can't have it mounted ;) Two can play at this game T-roy! :)

22-May-20
Enjoy these times! And I am sure you are

22-May-20
A good taxidermist can fix about anything.

And, before you go there....I have the number of a good one ;-)

22-May-20
^^^Friends like these who needs enemies :) I will say he has a ways to go to catch up with his sister in the taxidermy department!

22-May-20
Great story and great pics to go with it ! Congrats to Kaden !

22-May-20
Congrats to you and your boy for that fine bow kill. I hear you regarding the competition aspect. My boys are 15 months apart and still at it 40+ years later. The good news is it really helps bind the family together and you will be rewarded greatly for what you are doing for them at their important ages. Congratulations to you for being such a great father........ Badbull

22-May-20
Awesome all the way around!!! Great stuff!!

23-May-20
Awesome!

23-May-20
Excellent! Thanks for sharing! Congrats to you both...or should I say all three!

Turkey in strut appears huge...but much of that size is fluffed feathers as Kaden has learned the hard way. My favorite turkey pose, but least favorite turkey shot.

23-May-20
Outstanding young man. Everything happens for a reason. Had you shot one of the other birds you wouldn't have gotten THIS monster bird! If a seasoned pro in his 70's who has killed hundreds of animals can miss 3 shots in a row ..... well it can happen to the best of us.

Taking that early morning nap is epic, love that pic.

I once left really early to get to my bow stand well before daylight. Parked the truck and leaned back to close my eyes for just a few minutes ----- next thing I know its full on daylight. Yup, napping is a good thing. LOL

Enjoy every minute of it ...... I agree, the wing can be fixed. :)

25-May-20
Good stuff! Always more exciting if there's a story to it, surely he was just adding reading material!

26-May-20
Congrats!

26-May-20
Great memories remind me of my girls 20 years ago. Goes by fast. Congratulations

26-May-20
Great thread! Thanks for sharing.

• Sitka Gear