T Mac 22-May-20
Empty Freezer 22-May-20
midwest 22-May-20
elkmtngear 22-May-20
Deertick 22-May-20
JL 25-May-20
Notme 25-May-20
22-May-20
As we go into Memorial Day weekend.....take a second and pay respects to those folks who sacrificed. Excellent story here as told by Sam Elliot.

22-May-20
Wow...

22-May-20
Very moving, thank you for posting it.

22-May-20
Thanks for sharing

22-May-20
John, thank you for the post.

22-May-20
Thanks for sharing Sir.

22-May-20
It's a very powerful story and message. Often times we get caught up in our daily lives and sometimes think we have it bad. IMO...that story is a reality check and gives ya pause to think about what real suffering is, what courage is, what devotion to duty is and the sacrifices of those who went forward to do their jobs.

22-May-20
Wow is right! Important weekend to think about our values.

22-May-20
Choked up.

22-May-20
Moved for sure!

22-May-20
Thank you!

22-May-20
Special men. My Dad survived Iwo but lost his 18 year old younger brother there. Five years later he lost his next youngest brother in Korea. Monday is a very special day and I’m glad to see we still honor those that gave all.

22-May-20
Excellent video We can’t march in any parades Monday but we are still going to do our normal ceremonies at 5 cemeteries

I feel obligated to honor those fallen people.

I don’t like when people thank us for marching.

I wish we could remind them all “thank you” but it’s not about us.

We march for them.

22-May-20
True Heroes!

22-May-20
If you don't mind, I will wipe the tears from my eyes. My best, Paul USAF

22-May-20
Great salute to those who served and paid the ultimate price for our freedom.

22-May-20
Here is another one with a first person account from famous actor Charles Durning who was at Normandy on D-Day. This is a tough one to watch. There are quite a few of these PBS Memorial Day shows retelling the stories of yesteryear.

22-May-20
Tears here also Paul....I am guilty of just being happy to have an extra long weekend but that video definitely reminded me how grateful I am of all our war heroes..Amazing people!!!

22-May-20
Wow...another account from actor Graham Greene (Dances With Wolves) retelling a soldier's story.

22-May-20
God bless them all.

22-May-20
I haven't shed tears like that in many years, actually since Memorial Day '85 and '91.

I was assigned to Florennes AB in 84/85 and attended a Memorial Service at the Mardasson Memorial in Bastogne BE (followed by visits to several US Cemeteries surround Bastogne. The most striking (and life changing) thing about the Mardasson was the names of each Soldier and Marine who gave their lives during the Battle of the Buldge, along with the state they were from and the date of their death. It truly life gave real meaning to those words "All gave some, Some gave all". I was moved beyond words and returned to the museum many times to read the history of the battle. I was privileged to have met a couple of men who served and fought in the Ardennes as they visited and remembered those events from 4 decades earlier.

In 91, I was stationed at Shemya AB, in the Aleutians and found myself reading the book "Thousand Mile War, the Battle of the Aleutians", and later met several of men who fought the battle to re-take Attu Island from the enemy.

Listening to these heros recount the battle and seeing the pain their memories raised made me realize that this was, without a doubt the greatest generation.

JL - thank you for starting this post.

Rick ('72-97)

22-May-20
Thank you JL, God Bless them all.

22-May-20
That you for that. Very sobering....

22-May-20
Wow!

22-May-20
Too all those that didn't make it home, Semper Fi, you will Not be Forgotten. USMC

22-May-20
Choked me up. Thank you all who served.

22-May-20
So powerful...God bless them all !

22-May-20
Thanks to all ...

25-May-20
Hopefully folks so inclined have their American Flags out. There are some great movies on today on the TCM channel. 8:00pm EST "The Best Years Of Our Lives" is on. Excellent movie about vets trying to fit back into society after the war. Another great movie that was on is "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo".

25-May-20

Notme's Link
https://youtu.be/TEPAirsQy-Q

• Sitka Gear