Steve Milbocker 27-May-20
ESP 27-May-20
Steve Milbocker 28-May-20
milnrick 28-May-20
Steve Milbocker 28-May-20
trakman 28-May-20
12yards 28-May-20
22-May-20
Ok guys school me. I shot a Bear Alaskan back in the 70S but then went back to traditional bows and that brings us to the present. I said I'd never return to the compound but age and wear and tear on your body, well you know. Never say never. Anyway it looks like these bows have evolved quite a bit since I fooled with them. Can somebody point me to a bow that hits 55 to 60 # and rolls over pretty smooth? I've heard some of these things roll over fairly violently and I don't need that. Should I hit the pawn shops if they ever open again and find me a round wheel bow? I don't want to spend a ton of money but I don't mind paying for quality either. Thanks in advance for your thoughts folks, I appreciate it.

22-May-20
Bowtechs with the comfort setting and longer ATA are pretty dang smooth in the rollover. RealmX and RevoltX.

22-May-20
Oneida!

22-May-20
Elite Bows

22-May-20
Xpedition Xception, It is a single cam with outstanding quality and is super smooth.

22-May-20
Many of the popular brands have introduced models in the last few years that are aimed at the newer archers, and feature more adjustability in draw length and draw weight, and some even have settings that can be changed from their more aggressive draw cycle to a smoother one that trades a few fps for a gentler draw.

Most of these bows are in the lower price ranges, as they are targeted towards the beginning archers such as teens ready to move up from their first bows to their first "serious" adult bows, and the same market includes the wives and girlfriends who may not be in the market for a thousand dollar flagship bow but want something they can adjust to their perfect draw length and draw weight as they get used to shooting. Take a look at the catalogs for the new bow in the $300 range and if you want to stay under that by much, check out the classifieds and e-bay/craiglist markets for late model used ones in the makes and models with specs and features that you like.

Most of these recent models in that category are great improvements over the flagship bows of ten years ago or more, especially in shootability and quiet performance. Draw smoothness is another of the features they have been designed for, usually, as that is another features that their target market values more than maximum speed.

As an older archer myself, the type of bow I describe is also my favorite these days.

Diamond Quest or Prism would be good examples of the models I describe, but several other manufacturers have competitive examples in the price range worth considering.

They're not "kids bows", although they are often the ones selected for a teen who is ready to move up form their first bow, and who also may well need the extra room to grow. They also work very well for the older archer who may need the ability to adjust the weight and draw length as needed after he spends some time growing used to the new equipment.

22-May-20
Matthews No Cam.

22-May-20
Go to a pro shop and shoot them all. It’s amazing how different they’ll all feel when you shoot them side by side. My 83lb prime feels like I’m shooting 73lbs. I can’t imagine how easy it would be at 55!!!

22-May-20
The revolt from bowtech has been that description exactly for me. Better than the Vertix by quite a bit

22-May-20
My wife is shooting a Mathews Jewell 60 pounds and the smoothest bow I have ever drawn.

22-May-20
Morrison MTX riser with Max 6 limbs smooth,smooth,smooth

22-May-20
What Buffalo 1 said.

22-May-20
Take a serious look at Prime's Black 1, 3 or 5. Lady Bowhunter and I are currently shooting the Black 1 and are really pleased with the smoothness of draw, adjustable draw stop (you can adjust to make it rock solid, or add a bit of ease), the draw length can be adjusted as needed without a vise. If you're budget is a concern, look at a Quest CENTEC NXT - same quality and a bit more budget friendly (I shot these at ATA and was quite impressed.

22-May-20
I have both a single cam and a dual cam bow. As I understand it, and from shooting both alot at similar draw weights, a single cam bow has a much smoother draw than a dual cam bow....at least the ones I have.

22-May-20
Try out an Elite Ritual. You won’t be sorry.

22-May-20
Steve - are you planning to shoot with your fingers, or use a release?

That’s kind of the first thing you need to decide on. And FWIW.... when I dabbled on the Darkside, I was shooting a BowTech Commander (‘07 model, maybe??) at 50 pounds, and that thing had so much higher a power output than any stickbow you’ve ever seen that if you’re having pain, I would seriously consider something topping out at #50.

My first pin on the sight was plus or minus 3 inches all the way out to about 23 yards; if I had stuck with it longer, I probably would have taught myself to use a 6 o’clock hold on the brisket up close and to hold the pin spot on for anything that was obviously inside of 15 or so.

Or you could stay closer to your roots and shoot it bare-bow.

22-May-20
Honestly at 55 pounds any of today’s bows will be smooth!

23-May-20
I have an Elite Energy 35 and a Mathews No-Cam. I would recommend either one. Also have an old Switchback with the round cams but it is a stiffer draw.

23-May-20
Look at Mathews NO CAM and the PSE evolve cam bows.

What you describe is me exactly .

23-May-20
Steve Milbocker, I am in the same position that you are, hunted exclusively with a recurve since the 60s and bought an Elite Emerge 40# last Jan. that was a discontinued model with all the bells and case for less than $500. Only shot several times but still fine the recurves/lb are easier to shoot, it is all about changing the form that is an issue for me but when the day comes I have the choice to stay in the game without crossing over to the bastard x-gun which should not be allowed to the general public, as in Wi.

23-May-20
I agree with Jaq. Huge fan of the Revolt X, and Realm X.

23-May-20
My son bought a Diamond bow that had an incredible amount of draw length and draw weight range, so that a young person could buy the bow and it would grow along with the shooter. It performs well and is not too expensive. I know you are not a beginner, but such a bow might have the adjustment range to be able to perfectly suit you. Good luck

23-May-20
I agree with Jaq also. In February, I purchased the Revolt. On comfort setting it is the smoothest drawing I have owned. Solid wall as well, but heavy. GL!

23-May-20
The DFX cam in the Hoyt Defiant bows at 55lbs is an awesome draw cycle, so smooth!

23-May-20
Thanks everyone, I’m blown away by your responses! I have some research to do!

24-May-20
They're not for everyone but your making a huge mistake if you don't try a lever bow. I'm shooting an Oneida Phoenix but there are several others.

24-May-20
Realm X and Revolt X from Bowtech on comfort setting are unparalleled for smooth draw cycle in the current top end market.

24-May-20
I had a realmX great bow, but I preferred the draw on my realm sr6 and especially the backwall and its in performance, that said the realmx is my 70 pound elk and moose bow and the realm sr6 is my 60 pounder. I sold the realmx the other day and ordered a 70 pound realm sr6, all the realm series are awesome.

24-May-20
My old Mathews Switchback has a very smooth draw cycle, IMO.

24-May-20
Matthews no -cam

24-May-20
Was gonna say if you can find a used Mattews Switchback XT it’ll do all you want and more. And will be budget conscious

24-May-20
Had my shoulder fixed and shoot a No Cam

24-May-20
Another shoulder survivor here with No Cam.

25-May-20
I shot the DFX cam next to the no cam, and felt the DFX was a better draw cycle, plus the grip was better, plus it was over 10 FPS faster. Good luck with your decision. Pls keep us posted!

25-May-20
Overwhelmed guys!... thanks for you responses. There’s a couple of regular archery shops not far from me. Perhaps I’ll be able to try a few before making a decision.

25-May-20
I shot the DFX cam next to the no cam, and felt the DFX was a better draw cycle, plus the grip was better, plus it was over 10 FPS faster. Good luck with your decision. Pls keep us posted!

25-May-20
Everyone (including me) has given you their opinion on which bow has the smoothest draw cycle and we all made good points. Now I've got one suggestion to consider when making your final decision.

Bring a blindfold with you when you go "test fire" the bows. Ask the shop owner to set 2 or 3 of your candidates up as closely as possible so you can compare each "blindfolded". You'll know which one suits your preferences very quickly (draw cycle, back wall, hand shock etc).

When its all said and done please let us know what your decision was.

Good luck

25-May-20
I had my shoulder replaced roughly one year ago. 4 months after my surgery I was looking for smooth and easy rollover. PSE evolve cam was the best by far. That said I bought the Mathews Traverse which was also good but a bit jumpy. Shawn

26-May-20
If choosing an Elite, avoid the Impulse bows. I have one and they don't have a smooth draw to the end. I have bad shoulders and even at 50# the Impulse 34 gives me some pain sometimes when I pull into the valley. The two Elite Synergys I have however are amazing. The 50# Synergy is so smooth into the transition it is a thing of beauty to shoot.

26-May-20
Thankyou

26-May-20
PSE evo nxt 33 or Elite Kure....two of the smoothest bows I've pulled back in my 42 years.

26-May-20
Age and a bad shoulder had gotten to me too, but a Mathews No Cam at 60 lbs has been terrific for me. Very accurate and forgiving also.

27-May-20
I went with a Prime Black 5. Very smooth and longbow quiet right out of the box. Also influencing my decision was that I'm supporting a local archery shop not some box store sporting goods outlet and they are made in my home state of Michigan. Thanks everyone for your suggestions, they were much appreciated.

27-May-20
Good choice, what poundage?

28-May-20
50#. It actually wasn't what I expected either. I never heard of them till yesterday. Spent a few hours at the shop shooting different bows and I liked this one best. There weren't many customers so I got the lanes to myself and the staff were very helpful.

28-May-20
Steve

You're really enjoy shooting your Black 5, the fot and finish is also quite impressive.

Prime's customer service and tech support folks will help you thru any issues you may encounter (I doubt you'll have issues though.)

What other bows did you shoot before making your choice?

28-May-20
Before going to the shop I made up my mind to go new. They had Bowtech, Mathews Hoyt and Prime for their upper end bows. I can't even remember the models. Anyway the Prime sat vertical in the hand , a perfect balance which impressed me. Like I said it was longbow quiet and that's no kidding. Decent speed it looked like, but what do I know I've been shooting self bows for the last several years:) One pin to 20-25 easily. It feels like cheating but I bet I'll get over it:)

28-May-20
Elite kure

28-May-20
Good luck with it Steve!

• Sitka Gear