Glunt@work 23-May-20
RK 23-May-20
Paul@thefort 24-May-20
Ermine 24-May-20
Paul@thefort 24-May-20
Paul@thefort 24-May-20
Jaquomo 24-May-20
22-May-20
Stop the Wolf Coalition: For two years we’ve been warning Coloradans that the Canadian Gray Wolves that radical activists are trying to force in to Colorado are the main vector of the dreadful Echinococcus Canadensis, aka Hydatid Disease, aka Gray Wolf Disease. We’ve also been sounding the alarm that the Canadian Gray Wolves that are migrating into Colorado will bring this often deadly infectious disease into our state. In January of this year, a pack of six wolves were identified in Moffat County. CPW collected scat samples from the wolves’ elk kill site and had them tested for DNA. They were all confirmed to be non-native, Canadian Gray Wolves. At that time, we requested of CPW that the scat samples be tested for Gray Wolf Disease. Earlier this month we finally obtained those test results through the Colorado Open Records Act. Just as we feared, the samples tested positive for Echinococcus Canadensis. This is now a deadly serious situation for Colorado. Not only will this potentially fatal disease infect humans, pets, wildlife, and livestock, but it will also be left on crops that diseased wolves roam through. Unfortunately we now have another serious health and safety issue in Colorado. Please see the attached news release and visit our website to see the CPW lab results and help fight forced wolf introduction in Colorado. Our Coalition is a non-profit group of dedicated volunteers who rely solely on your donations. So please also help us fund our education and mobilization efforts with a donation of $50, $100, or more today.

my best, Paul Navarre, Stop The Wolf Coalition, Larimer County team leader

22-May-20
Glad IDAHO took it to the wolves this winter. They cleaned out a bunch of the the elk eaters on the MT border. Skulls laying on the ground in what use to great elk drainages.

Bravo Dog hunters!!

K

22-May-20
Is CPW going to make this public? If not, it won't matter to the Front Range voters.

22-May-20
Now would be a very good time, to cite DISEASE as a reason for non-introduction...

22-May-20
About 2.2 deaths per year in the entire U.S. from this. If you are afraid of it, you damn well better be locked in a bunker for COVID.

22-May-20
There’s a reason it took a CORA request to get the information

22-May-20
How do we spread this info. In today’s environment this will make people think! No wiser, try to keep up...

22-May-20
I am keeping up just fine. I just happen to believe that insulting people’s intelligence by trying to fill them with B.S. isn’t the best way forward.

Posts like this are why STW will never get a penny from me. If there was a group out there attempting to stop reintroduction using science and logic, I’d open the checkbook.

23-May-20
Sorry not enough people die every year for you to justify supporting this nowiser. Only 2.2 million. Eye roll.

23-May-20
Jim, like it or not, there is NO Other Group fighting this in Colorado. This finding is just part of the larger picture to try to defeat this Initiative. In itself, part of the process. More to come. my best, Paul

23-May-20
NoWiser, If even this tiny bit of info helps to keep the wolves out of CO - or the next state, or the next county, etc., etc., - why not make it public info?

"" I just happen to believe that insulting people’s intelligence by trying to fill them with B.S"" " If there was a group out there attempting to stop reintroduction using science and logic, I’d open the checkbook." What Paul printed ............... ABSOLUTELY IS TRUTH AND SCIENTIFIC FACT thru data backed testing.

Let the trail runners know that when they are taking their beloved fluffy out for a stroll through the country side, they stand a good chance of their pet contracting this deadly disease? Every dog I've ever owned or seen, when it comes to a pile, it goes right over, puts its nose right onto the pile, and sniffs it.

23-May-20
Well said......

23-May-20
I'm fine with using info like this in the most creative ways possible, considering the audience. As outdoorsmen, we of course know coyotes & foxes are also carriers, and are widespread in the state already. But should the wolf-forcers be the only ones using spin to their benefit?

23-May-20
Nowiser has a point. I don’t think using a ubiquitous North America tapeworm (Echinococcus spp.) that is in most U.S. carnivores and easily treatable in humans is your best argument. I’m guessing you would lose credibility with that argument because 5 minutes on google blows it up.

23-May-20
"Sorry not enough people die every year for you to justify supporting this nowiser. Only 2.2 million. Eye roll."

I'm not good at math but the information I read says there are only about 1,000 cases a year in the US. I am not sure where you got 2.2 million deaths?

Am I looking at the wrong thing? Maybe so as I have never heard of this before this thread.

23-May-20
Might as well purposefully stand downwind while pissin up this tree....

If Echinococcus is to be eliminated from Colorado, nothing and no one in or out, then get the nukes out.

23-May-20
My buddy shot a good 4 point buck here in Idaho a few years back. When we were rendering it down, we noticed it was full of these cysts. At the time, I had no idea what they were. Found out later they were from the wolves. The interesting thing was, this buck was still in velvet on the 31st of October.

23-May-20
Bowfreak, I said 2.2, not 2.2 million.

Here’s what I think. The first time I went to STW’s website, I wasn’t there for 30 seconds before I said to myself, “these guys are a bunch of idiots.” I suspect most people willing to do research to aid in their decision on this issue would conclude the same. This group isn’t meant to stop anything, it’s meant to suck money out of the pockets of well meaning, but I’ll-informed hunters.

If you want an effective group, First name it “Sportsman for the Natural Reintroduction of Wolves” or something along those lines. Second, don’t insult people’s intelligence by trying to fill them full of BS that’s easily disproven with a simple google search.

23-May-20
Bowfreak, I said 2.2, not 2.2 million.

Here’s what I think. The first time I went to STW’s website, I wasn’t there for 30 seconds before I said to myself, “these guys are a bunch of idiots.” I suspect most people willing to do research to aid in their decision on this issue would conclude the same. This group isn’t meant to stop anything, it’s meant to suck money out of the pockets of well meaning, but I’ll-informed hunters.

If you want an effective group, First name it “Sportsman for the Natural Reintroduction of Wolves” or something along those lines. Second, don’t insult people’s intelligence by trying to fill them full of BS that’s easily disproven with a simple google search.

23-May-20
Nowiser,

I know what you said. Ucsdryder said 2.2 million.

23-May-20
Pretty much all of STWs claims can be disputed with a simple Google search. I get that from my nonhunting friends all the time. There are dozens of of published scientific studies to debunk almost all of their scare tactics.

I'm deeply opposed to wolf forcing. But considering the urban voting bloc that will easily pass this, it's a done deal.

23-May-20
I agree Jaq, unfortunately, it will pass. It scary to think about what’s next. What other wildlife management by popular vote is next? The decision on reintroduction of wolves should be left up to wildlife biologists and those who will be affected the most, specifically financially. Lastly, wolves should be heavily monitored and managed. There’s just too much emotions and myths involved...on both sides for that to happen. It’s bad all the way around IMO.

23-May-20
Next will be outlawing lion hunting. The nons are already upset about the cat culling project over by Aspen.

23-May-20
Yep. Bad deal for sure, and a scary precedent. I have very little hope that the majority of Coloradans will make the right decision regardless of how much is spent opposing it.

Jaq, I hope you’re wrong about lions. There’s been a handful of attacks in recent history and they tend to be on the spandex wearing bikers and joggers so it might not be a slam dunk.

23-May-20
I for one am working hard to be proactive on this wolf issue. Only spending energy and time on things that make sense. Just today I sighted in and shot my new 6.5 Creedmoor out to 655 yards. Hoping it tightens up a bit after barrel break-in, but it's under 1 MOA which is nice for factory ammo and a budget rifle.

Wolves are here. Probably more coming sooner than we would like after the vote. I will be ready when the first tags are issued.

My hat is off to Paul and others trying hard to make a dent in public opinion. It's the right thing to do even if it's an uphill battle.

23-May-20
I love what Paul is trying to do he totally rocks with his efforts I think,and I hope I'm wrong, that he is successful in his quest. I hope colorado wins with this. But it's going to be a tough fight

Glint. Keep up the skill set I hope you get the same attitude as one of my best friends that went on the wolf quest and no one knows the number of wolves he kills each year. He has the equation worked out with collars etc

I admire his efforts

24-May-20
Opposed to the Measure 38 of 64 counties opposed. Representing roughly 36% of Colorado’s population. Check back regularly for an updated tally. Alamosa Archuleta Baca Bent Cheyenne Crowley Custer Delta Dolores Douglas El Paso Elbert Fremont Garfield Grand Gunnison Hinsdale Jackson Kiowa Kit Carson Las Animas Lincoln Logan Mesa Mineral Moffat Montezuma Montrose Morgan Otero Park Prowers Rio Blanco Rio Grande Routt Saguache Washington Weld

24-May-20
Yea they want lion hunting banned in a big way. Our governors husband is a big peta guy and one that is pushing the lion ban. Be nice if the idiotic public didn’t get to decide wildlife management

24-May-20
News Release: May 22, 2020

CPW Confirms Wolves in Colorado Carry Deadly Disease

Open Records search reveals recent wolf pack in Moffat County infected with deadly Gray Wolf Disease, affecting humans, wildlife, livestock, and crops in Colorado

Denver, Colorado – Today, the non-profit Colorado Stop the Wolf Coalition released Colorado Parks & Wildlife documents obtained through the Colorado Open Records Act. Their reports revealed that wolf scat samples, collected from the area where a pack of non-native Gray Wolves were recently spotted in Moffat County, contained the deadly Hydatid Disease, Echinococcus Canadensis. aka Gray Wolf Disease.

“Echinococcus was detected via PCR and confirmed via sequencing in three out of the six samples submitted,” wrote Mary Wood, Colorado’s State Wildlife Veterinarian, in an agency email describing the CPW’s lab results.

24-May-20
I will state this, while this wolf disease is not the end of the earth by its self, it is one more nail in the coffin to defeat this ballot initiative.

24-May-20
Front Range media has already moved on from wolves, to now trashing CPW's lion management plan. Today's headline: "Research by State Raises Questions". "State officials would not elaborate and declined to release the completed study".

Meanwhile, the other side has quotes from the former chief scientist for the National Biological Service saying "all they want to do is have more deer and elk to keep hunters happy". "Anytime you see an agency muzzle their scientists, that is a really bad sign".

They also quote a "wildlife guide" who leads photo safaris as saying, "If they push this plan through, Colorado's mountain lion population will be a third of what a healthy population should be".

They did note CPWs attempts to balance the deer, elk, and predator numbers, and had some great quotes and stats by CPW Carnivore Program Manager Mark Viera (a good biologist and bowhunter who lurks on Bowsite). But that was way down in the 6th column on page 2 of the article after the Post had already framed the narrative.

After 107 passes in a historic landslide, they'll be rightfully emboldened. Look for them to put lions on the ballot next time. I'm not a pessimist; I'm a realist. I predicted the bear hunting vote would be 70-30, and it was 69-31. California, here we come.

• Sitka Gear